• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

It's not efficient to troll a thread with active user you can count with one hand

half-trollface_copy.png

iJBFZ.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
will wait for Nokias WP8 before deciding but seieng as I have gone focus/Focus S I have no problem going ATIV next... looks pretty sweet to me. :)

I went the same route, and this phone looks good overall, but I'm concerned about the camera. Samsung isn't really highlighting it and I felt very disappointed going from Focus to Focus S from a camera standpoint. The Focus S already has an 8mp sensor and I don't think I can put up with this same sensor for another year.

thirty

Banned
so, what will everyone be doing on the 5th? i'm on the west coast so thankfully i don't have to miss any work to catch the conference. suppose to be 7-8am pacific time.

oh, there's the new york event then the nokia world event in finland the same day. anyone have the times for that?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
so, what will everyone be doing on the 5th? i'm on the west coast so thankfully i don't have to miss any work to catch the conference. suppose to be 7-8am pacific time.

oh, there's the new york event then the nokia world event in finland the same day. anyone have the times for that?

I work from home so I will definitely be watching it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know Samsung isn't giving them the battery to power that thing on, but if I'm them I'm using the SGSIII charger to power it up quickly and get that on tape.

Sure, they'll get kicked out of IFA, but they'll get millions of Youtube hits and be the first to show Apollo running in HD on an actual consumer device.

I know Samsung isn't giving them the battery to power that thing on, but if I'm them I'm using the SGSIII charger to power it up quickly and get that on tape.

Sure, they'll get kicked out of IFA, but they'll get millions of Youtube hits and be the first to show Apollo running in HD on an actual consumer device.

Phones turn on without a battery?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. If I would have known that was even remotely possible.... I would have picked up the extended warranty.

They gave me some grief that burn in wasn't covered, but I bitched and stood my ground. It was at Best Buy. The coverage pamphlet doesn't say it is not covered and I considered burn in to be defective and hampered my experience with the phone.

rozay

Banned
where do you think Nokia gets their screens from?
yeah, sadly they're not exempt from samsung's QC considering all the complaints lumia 900 users had about the grays turning purple at low brightnesses. Clearblack and better auto-brightness functionality than samsung's android devices are not going to mitigate the flaws of the HD panel if it's the same as what appears in the galaxy nexus/GS3.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Phones turn on without a battery?

Just tried it with my Focus S. Nope.

Gonna go against the grain and say this looks generic as fuck. The metal back is fine, but the front looks like same old samsung but with a windows logo. Nokia will do better.

Yeah, the front is meh, but the back looks wonderful. Or it did, until I found out the battery cover is actually plastic. At this point, I'm assuming only the chrome around the screen and lower back speaker grill is aluminum, with everything else being glass/plastic like the SGSIII. Very disappointing that they just painted the back cover to look metallic.

russianativsreview.png

rozay

Banned

Yeah, the front is meh, but the back looks wonderful. Or it did, until I found out the battery cover is actually plastic. At this point, I'm assuming only the chrome around the screen and lower back speaker grill is aluminum, with everything else being glass/plastic like the SGSIII. Very disappointing that they just painted the back cover to look metallic.

russianativsreview.png
I don't think NFC would be possible with an aluminum back. It was pretty obvious from the pictures it was just the same "brushed metal texture" plastic crap as what's on the back of the GS3.

giga

russianativsreview.png
iuYwTGjbBlsOS.gif

I went back to the blog post. Only the speakers and buttons are metal. Sigh.

The ATIV S is flat-out beautiful, and it has the guts to match. But what’s impressed me most about the ATIV S is Samsung’s attention to detail. To get to your Start screen, you hit a raised physical Windows button, not a capacitive one. The speaker bar on the front and the back, as well as all of the buttons, are aluminum, not plastic. And the display glass has just the slightest of rounded edges. It all adds up to a device that looks great, feels great, and performs great.

This part made it sound like it was aluminum? Really odd.

Inside the crazy-thin 8.7mm brushed aluminum chassis is a huge 4.8” HD Super AMOLED display made from Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (read: tough to break, but still light)and a rundown of killer specs: 1.5Ghz dual-core processor, 1GB of onboard RAM, and an 8MP autofocus rear camera and 1.9MP front-facing camera. You’ll have the choice of two storage capacities – 16GB or 32GB – and both models have a MicroSD slot for expanded storage. Backing all of this up is a massive 2300mAh battery to keep you rocking all day.

rozay

Banned
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/96085/pics/gifs/iuYwTGjbBlsOS.gif[IMG]

I went back to the blog post. Only the speakers and buttons are metal. Sigh.

This part made it sound like it was aluminum? Really odd.[/QUOTE]tech blogs in 2012

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Warren was teasing that today that there is supposed to be something Pureview Lumia related?

Also there are rumors that the 920 screen has something called PureMotion, whatever that means.

Has anyone ever wondered how Windows Phone stays fluid even on single-core hardware? I still can't believe my phone outpaces my old phone, and runs circles around it, despite it being only supposedly ~40-50% faster than my old phone.

Has anyone ever wondered how Windows Phone stays fluid even on single-core hardware? I still can't believe my phone outpaces my old phone, and runs circles around it, despite it being only supposedly ~40-50% faster than my old phone.

Full hardware (GPU) acceleration of the UI. Something Android only got with Jelly Bean. iOS and Windows Phone had it from version 1.0.

MarkusRJR

What's the best Skydrive music player? I've been looking at SkyMusic and Sky Player but I'm not sure which is better.

Also, what are some must have apps/games on the marketplace?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What's the best Skydrive music player? I've been looking at SkyMusic and Sky Player but I'm not sure which is better.

Don't bother, just upload all your music to Google and use Gooroovster.

Also, I find it amusing that MS has spent the last year removing features and basically just shitting on the Zune desktop software while acting coy about its follow up, particularly for those folks who don't plan on getting Windows 8. Would it kill them to do a blog post about the Xbox Music app and how that will sync with Wp7.5 devices (if it does)? I mean, if it was just a quick transition, I wouldn't care, but to spend the past year neutering the Zune app and removing features, doing the opposite of improving it, without letting us know what the successor will be or how it will differ or be the same is just irresponsible.

Don't bother, just upload all your music to Google and use Gooroovster.

Also, I find it amusing that MS has spent the last year removing features and basically just shitting on the Zune desktop software while acting coy about its follow up, particularly for those folks who don't plan on getting Windows 8. Would it kill them to do a blog post about the Xbox Music app and how that will sync with Wp7.5 devices (if it does)? I mean, if it was just a quick transition, I wouldn't care, but to spend the past year neutering the Zune app and removing features, doing the opposite of improving it, without letting us know what the successor will be or how it will differ or be the same is just irresponsible.

The Xbox music app doesn't do any syncing. Windows Phones will get a new sync software.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Xbox music app doesn't do any syncing. Windows Phones will get a new sync software.

I like the messages I get when I boot up Zune "Hey, you've got new features!!! Restart Zune software", then I restart and see that the apps are gone, or music videos are gone. Gee, thanks guys!

Also, the email I got on August 29th that told me I'd lose about a dozen features within the next two days was a nice touch. They called it a "Feature Update". Update as in "we're taking them away".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom