• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
New HTC Schematic.

q9T2A.jpg

Meh meh meh meh meh.
hey gaffers, there is a Notification LED in that diagram! o_O

Troll

Banned
920 has an 8mp camera.

The Verge said:
One rumored aspect of the Lumia 920 is a PureView camera. We can confirm that Nokia will indeed brand its Lumia 920 camera as PureView, but that the camera will be an 8-megapixel one — not the 41-megapixel one found on the company's 808 PureView handset.

giga

One rumored aspect of the Lumia 920 is a PureView camera. We can confirm that Nokia will indeed brand its Lumia 920 camera as PureView, but that the camera will be an 8-megapixel one — not the 41-megapixel one found on the company's 808 PureView handset. Nokia is focusing on marketing the Lumia 920 as PureView thanks to some advancements in image stabilization and camera software that it plans to ship on the device. The front of the device will also include a 1.3-megapixel camera.

ಠ_ಠ

Blackhead

Redarse
Don't do that to yourself.

:(

Well the Nokia 808 Pureview shoots 8MP as well. Perhaps TheVerge misunderstood and this will be a 21 MP sensor downsampled for 8MP pictures.... argh who am I kidding lol

So the Phi doesn't have a special edge in the camera department. Let's wait and see how the rest of the features stacks up to the iPhone 5 and Galaxy SIII/Note2. I'm really hoping for a notification led and/or bluetooth support for connected watches.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Absolutely baffling. Also, no mention of SD card support. I literally can't believe that, for the third year in a row, Samsung is going to have the best Windows Phone at the end of the year. Unbelievable.

No SD card, an 8mp sensor that shot the unimpressive teaser video, and very likely a smaller battery than on the Ativ S.

I'll wait for the official announcement but.........what the hell Nokia? Samsung doesn't even give a shit about the platform and they can just throw together a better spec sheet? At 8MP, we can almost guarantee that the next iPhone will have the best camera this fall. Heck, I've seen better video on youtube from the iPhone 4S than the teaser Nokia shot with the 920.

bedlamite

I suppose we should all have expected this when there was no visible camera bump on the backside. Not a dealbreaker for me, but I imagine more than a few people will be disappointed by this.

Personally, what I'd really like is better audio out, my L800 does not sound good, even with the audio fix. Also, SD card support, where the fuck is it? Lastly, pentile. Let it go, Nokia.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely baffling. Also, no mention of SD card support. I literally can't believe that, for the third year in a row, Samsung is going to have the best Windows Phone at the end of the year. Unbelievable.

No SD card, an 8mp sensor that shot the unimpressive teaser video, and very likely a smaller battery than on the Ativ S.

I'll wait for the official announcement but.........what the hell Nokia? Samsung doesn't even give a shit about the platform and they can just throw together a better spec sheet? At 8MP, we can almost guarantee that the next iPhone will have the best camera this fall. Heck, I've seen better video on youtube from the iPhone 4S than the teaser Nokia shot with the 920.

I don't understand why the 920 wouldn't have an SD card?

You'd think that would be an important feature if they're going to market the phone's camera with the (now worthless) PureView branding.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's premature to assume that the next iPhone will have the best camera this fall. While Nokia has dropped the ball so far on the Lumia line, they've previously shown that they can do great phone cameras without the pureview tech. No iPhone has surpassed the Nokia N8. I'll wait until both phones are released and compare before making proclamations
or just get an 808

Just got a Lumia 900 on Thursday

Fucking navigation buttons stopped working. Phone is completely unusable, and I'll have to wait until 4 tomorrow to go to a store and get it replaced under warranty.

Piece of shit

Just got a Lumia 900 on Thursday

Fucking navigation buttons stopped working. Phone is completely unusable, and I'll have to wait until 4 tomorrow to go to a store and get it replaced under warranty.

Piece of shit

You do know that Nokia will show their next generation phones in two days and that the OS on it won't be compatible with the 900.

Right?

You do know that Nokia will show their next generation phones in two days and that the OS on it won't be compatible with the 900.

Right?

That's fine. I don't really care. My last phone was a Samsung Sunburst I got for $10. I neither can afford, nor want, a newest model top of the line phone. I just want the shit I purchase to actually fucking work.

Doffen

This is Microsoft's new Windows 8 companion app for Windows Phones

idDzG9jr3ic8r.png

The application, a Metro style one that will be available from the Windows Store, is designed to replace the Zune client for Windows 8 users. We understand that the app will be automatically installed for Windows Phone 8 users on a Windows 8 PC when a device is connected. Windows 7 users will be directed to an equivalent desktop app to manage devices. The application, which will likely be branded as a "companion app," will provide quick access to photos, documents, music, and video on Windows Phone devices — allowing users to import or export data to handsets. We understand the application will be made available in the Windows Store in time for the Windows Phone 8 launch

maeh2k

They just listed stuff the 920 had and not stuff it didn't have. It could still have an SD card slot. There's of course the possibility that they think it doesn't need one since it already comes with 16 or 32 GBs, but I'd just wait for the official presentation before lamenting the lack of SD support.

Tomcat

They just listed stuff the 920 had and not stuff it didn't have. It could still have an SD card slot. There's of course the possibility that they think it doesn't need one since it already comes with 16 or 32 GBs, but I'd just wait for the official presentation before lamenting the lack of SD support.

if it doesnt have sd it will probably have 32gb so its not a big problem
i believe that it will have microsd though

rozay

Banned
Nokia is focusing on marketing the Lumia 920 as PureView thanks to some advancements in image stabilization and camera software that it plans to ship on the device.
if sensor size isn't one of the reasons this is getting Pureview branding, I guess I'll be joining you guys next year rather than this fall.

if it does have 32gb already, is that the maximum wp8 can use? i don't know how android works but can it have, for example 32gb on phone and 32gb external storage, or is it just 32gb (or whatever the actual limit is) across both internal and external?

kharma45

if it does have 32gb already, is that the maximum wp8 can use? i don't know how android works but can it have, for example 32gb on phone and 32gb external storage, or is it just 32gb (or whatever the actual limit is) across both internal and external?

I'd imagine there's almost no limit, whatever W8 can take WP8 can take.

Fjolle

The Samsung plastic phone has 32 GB internal and SD card support.

rozay

Banned
I'm gonna make a wild guess and say it just adds to whatever the internal storage is for a "seamless" experience. Probably a toggle in apps as to whether they want to store data on the internal or external memory? I don't think a file manager will appear in WP8 so hopefully whatever system they have in place is intelligent enough.

All these phones should ship with SDXC support, right now you can get 64GB cards, not sure if 128GB is widely available or not. The standard itself supports all the way up to 2TB, lol.

the new SMS-synch with outlook could be biiiiig for me. if it works like facebook chat in outlook and just synchs that shit, it would be fantastic.

Milchjon

the new SMS-synch with outlook could be biiiiig for me. if it works like facebook chat in outlook and just synchs that shit, it would be fantastic.

The Facebook chat integration on Outlook.com/skydrive is amazing. The messages arrive faster than in facebook running alongside it.

The Facebook chat integration on Outlook.com/skydrive is amazing. The messages arrive faster than in facebook running alongside it.

That also fully syncs with the messaging app on Windows 8 if you are running that. It's very cool.

Now all we need if full messaging sync between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 similar to the iMessage sync between iOS and OSX. I would break my contract and pay the fat coin if that feature exists.

MCD

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-apparently-very-paranoid-about-windows-phone-8-feature-leaks/

It is the first time as far as I can remember, that OEM prototypes are locked to special accounts inside Microsoft, and each device has its own activation key, tied to the unique number of each smartphone or tablet, and not an OEM employee. As far as security goes, Microsoft did an outstanding job – at IFA even those companies who allowed me to take a quick peek at their Windows Phone 8 devices said that most functions are blocked and are simply inaccessible. This was done at Microsoft – you press a menu and get a warning pop-up or nothing happens. It’s not because those functions are not there – it is because they [Microsoft] are not ready to show these functions even to partners. I do not remember such a draconian measures anywhere else – usually when you have a prototype, you can work with it. Some network/cloud functions might be absent or inaccessible – but you could check out what you have, more or less. Today, even people who work for OEMs do not really know what they have in Windows Phone 8, because they only learn about the platform from the same Microsoft presentations, but can not try all the features live. It is a unique situation, when OEMs are working on hardware, but have absolutely know influence on software. The hubs they are working on are in fact separate programs/apps, that do not interfere at all with the main functionality.

Joe Belfiore. You kisama.

JaggedSac

Very interesting. Wonder what else they are trying to hide. Wonder if WP7.8 devices will work with that new companion app, or if they have to continue using the desktop zune client.

kazinova

That's tragically optimistic.

Agreed, we've probably seen most of the OS; 80-90%. There may be one or two features they've held onto until this months' events, but nothing ground breaking, for sure. I'm happy with how it looks right now. Fixing a lot of the gaps in WP7 and keeping a lot of the same stuff I like (design, style, speed).

September 5 can't come soon enough, even though it's just slightly more than one day away from the event. Reading all the comments about these Lumia rumours made me cringe on other tech sites. They say that the best thing to deal with inaccurate rumours is to quash them with hard, cold facts, no?

(If the phones are that locked, rest assured that we still have something to look at tomorrow.)

I think all HTC phone has LED notification. I like it on my Titan because I knew when battery is full.

Yeah I have a Titan, and it is used for battery. Blinking red for low battery, red with charging, and green when fully charged.

What I would like to see if a blinking green notification light for when I have an unchecked notification on the phone (be it missed call, text, voice mail, tweet mention, etc).

steelcity

Neo Member
Yeah the 5th can't come fast enough. I have a Lumia 900 but I will take whatever device looks the best which I'd prefer to be Nokia. Right now I really like the Samsung phone though it doesn't have LTE right? I'm just tired of the rumors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom