• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
Yeah the 5th can't come fast enough. I have a Lumia 900 but I will take whatever devices looks the best. Right now I really like the Samsung phone though it doesn't have LTE right? I'm just tired of the rumors!
it will guaranteed if you're in the states

Given the relatively lackluster response to Windows Phone thus far, many are now referring to this new generation of handset based on Windows Phone 8 as Nokia’s last stand. The theory is that Nokia’s falling fortunes can only be turned around with a decisive victory. But with Windows Phones selling relatively slowly compared to the market leaders, Android and iPhone, that possibility seems increasingly dim.

Not helping matters is that the launch of Nokia’s new Lumias, and of other devices based on Windows Phone 8, is happening during a crowded launch window. Motorola Mobility, which kicked off the Android sales phenomenon with the original Droid, is expected to announce a new Verizon-based LTE smart phone with an edge to edge screen, according to Bloomberg. And Amazon will announce new Kindle tablets (and perhaps other devices—a Kindle phone has been in the rumor pipeline for months—on the same day.

And let’s face it: No one, not even the most popular Android makers, like Samsung, even want to think about the withering—if temporary—effects on Apple’s annual iPhone launch.

To help ease the transition, Nokia is expected to announce lower prices for its existing smart phone, which aren’t upgradeable to Windows Phone 8. And The New York Times reports that Nokia may try to entice Blackberry customers with encryption and security features that will be unique to its Lumia phones.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article...-detail-expected-product-announcements-144168

Milchjon

New Nokia teaser.

Interesting. Does this relate to City Lense or is it something that's part of WP8?
Because I'm interpreting it as an augmented reality application that integrates Facebook and other things. If it indeed does, it could be pretty great.

MCD

Bing bullshit? Bing is one of the apps I really miss after switching to Android.

Bing sucks donkey balls for specific things like searching for tech problems. Not to mention MS policy on US US US.

So glad Nokia gonna help them reach out to the rest of humanity.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it's not all about the count, but they could've at least topped their competitor's camera's MP. Numbers attract people.

maeh2k

Bing sucks donkey balls for specific things like searching for tech problems. Not to mention MS policy on US US US.

So glad Nokia gonna help them reach out to the rest of humanity.

You can always pin the google search app to your start screen.

Firestorm

Bing bullshit? Bing is one of the apps I really miss after switching to Android.
I really dislike the way navigation is done on it. I also find its results terrible compared to Google. Also hate how it organizes the first page of results. Bing in general is not very good in Canada.

I really dislike the way navigation is done on it. I also find its results terrible compared to Google. Also hate how it organizes the first page of results. Bing in general is not very good in Canada.

Oh, so it's because you're living in the wrong country. Nvm then.

But seriously, for the few times I had to search something on the go, Bing was fine. It was always more than web search for me. I miss Bing Music, Bing Vision and Local Scout. Not having to install extra apps for functions like that was awesome.

Milchjon

WP8 to include "Rooms":

A text message will invite users to join, and once accepted Rooms participants can share calendar items, photos, and notes privately. Rooms will also include a group chat feature that allows participants to chat with each other.

Will this only work between WP8 devices? Otherwise it could be a nice feature.

Milchjon

Probably also the 3 WP7.8 devices in use.

Otherwise they would need some special app for other systems?

Since it uses a text message for the invitation I could see that it just integrates other services like MMS and Live/Google calendars. But I'm not sure how feasible that is.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like Bing. I have the search engine switched to US in the settings. I'm in Canada and generally have no problems. Funny enough on the weekend my wife and I were helping some friends move and Bing got me to the right place where the iPhone didn't.

I like Bing. I have the search engine switched to US in the settings. I'm in Canada and generally have no problems. Funny enough on the weekend my wife and I were helping some friends move and Bing got me to the right place where the iPhone didn't.

This is something I dont get. Why do the guys at microsoft hate everyone besides the USA? For example Bing Local Scout is not a feature in my country in Europe. I switch Bing to English (USA) and bam, local scout works like bliss, it even is in my language. It is right there localized, fully able to function. I have no idea, why they keep users from Europe and canada locked out. With stuff like local scout, I cannot even believe it is because of licenses or something,.

AnkitT

This is something I dont get. Why do the guys at microsoft hate everyone besides the USA? For example Bing Local Scout is not a feature in my country in Europe. I switch Bing to English (USA) and bam, local scout works like bliss, it even is in my language. It is right there localized, fully able to function. I have no idea, why they keep users from Europe and canada locked out. With stuff like local scout, I cannot even believe it is because of licenses or something,.

Yep this is plenty perplexing. MS seemingly cut out features that they boast about under the guise of localization.

rozay

Banned
PureView Pro imaging specifications
LLShC.gif

ChanHuk

Banned
Well I come crawling back to Windows Phone. Updated my Lumia to Tango yesterday, gotta look at the changelog to see if things are different.

MarkusRJR

I'm not sure if I asked this here or on another forum... What's the best way to stream music to a Windows Phone? I only have like 3gb of storage left and I'd rather not use it just on music.

Oh, and the white 920 looks nice. I might buy it a year or so from now when I actually need a new phone.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm not sure if I asked this here or on another forum... What's the best way to stream music to a Windows Phone? I only have like 3gb of storage left and I'd rather not use it just on music.

Oh, and the white 920 looks nice. I might buy it a year or so from now when I actually need a new phone.

You can upload music to your Skydrive account and stream from there. Unless you're talking about an paid streaming app. There's MetroRadio and Slacker Radio that I use.

You can also do Spotify.

MarkusRJR

You can upload music to your Skydrive account and stream from there. Unless you're talking about an paid streaming app. There's MetroRadio and Slacker Radio that I use.
I used to constantly use Slacker on my Blackberry but the Windows Phone app is infinitely worse. It has super long loading times and is incredibly unresponsive. Storage space is literally my only problem with WP7. I kinda wish I had a microSD card slot or something. And can't you only stream from Skydrive by using a third party app?

EDIT: Just checked out Pandora and Spotify and both don't work in Canada. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I just pray that a really nice phone comes out on Verizon. I love my trophy, but I want to develop on the new platform <and not use an engineering device>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom