• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I used to constantly use Slacker on my Blackberry but the Windows Phone app is infinitely worse. It has super long loading times and is incredibly unresponsive. Storage space is literally my only problem with WP7. I kinda wish I had a microSD card slot or something. And can't you only stream from Skydrive by using a third party app?

The official skydrive app can stream.

I am an Android user and will remain an Android user however this doom and gloom over windows phone is unnecessary the platform will not die and neither will Nokia.

The idea behind the system is solid IMO have a specific platform around which all app developers can reliably code to. A standardisation of hardware a la the console space. This is good in many ways and so long as MS can sell it to consumers they will come.

Nokia will struggle - might even have to be bought by MS - but they customers will come eventually, MS will pay whatever it takes to make sure of it. Don't know how the platforms will be placed in the long term that IMO is still up in the air but I am sure WP will be among them.

Troll

Banned
So to take advantage of the new WP8 SDK features, will a company like Spotify have to release a new app or can they update the existing app? If so will it stop working on WP7 device? Would that also mean that hypothetically of everyone updates to feature WP8 functionality there would literally be 0 compatible apps on your Tango phone?

MarkusRJR

You did, and I answered you.
Oh, I see. Gooroovster sounds interesting. I didn't even know Google had their own cloud service. Is Gooroovster better than the app Sky Music in your opinion?

I was also thinking of getting a Zune pass but apparently it won't take my Paypal. Does it even stream anyway? :/

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I see. Gooroovster sounds interesting. I didn't even know Google had their own cloud service. Is Gooroovster better than the app Sky Music in your opinion?

I was also thinking of getting a Zune pass but apparently it won't take my Paypal. Does it even stream anyway? :/

Zune Pass is awesome and it does stream properly.

JaggedSac

So to take advantage of the new WP8 SDK features, will a company like Spotify have to release a new app or can they update the existing app? If so will it stop working on WP7 device? Would that also mean that hypothetically of everyone updates to feature WP8 functionality there would literally be 0 compatible apps on your Tango phone?

This is a good question. Hopefully, it just forks in the marketplace but would be transparent to users. So W8 users would get an update and W7 users would never get future updates but could still download the app.

I'm not sure if I asked this here or on another forum... What's the best way to stream music to a Windows Phone? I only have like 3gb of storage left and I'd rather not use it just on music.

Oh, and the white 920 looks nice. I might buy it a year or so from now when I actually need a new phone.

I guess someone already suggested it, but add another vote for Gooroovster. Not too fond of the way GooglePlay itself sorted my music library, but aside from that using Gooroovster to connect to GooglePlay makes for a pretty decent streaming experience.

BTW streaming from Zune works great. For a quick preview of how it works for streaming just check out the marketplace and preview a song. Its basically the same thing, except it plays the full song instead of a 30-sec clip.

Talon

I'm not wrong, you guys are just weird.

For years everyone complained about HTC's design and how boring their phones are. Then they took the exact same design everyone complained about, wrapped it in polycarbonate and suddenly they got good designers.

And people told me I was weird.
I like that HTC does their speaker grills differently than everyone else - particularly that the HD7 with the symmetry on the top and bottom.

The feel and sturdiness of One X is what stands out from their cheaper-feeling early phones.

ChanHuk

Banned
Alright so I'm getting the 5 device maximum per ID. Went into my windowsphone.com account and only see my phone listed. Any advice?

Raistlin

yeah, sadly they're not exempt from samsung's QC considering all the complaints lumia 900 users had about the grays turning purple at low brightnesses. Clearblack and better auto-brightness functionality than samsung's android devices are not going to mitigate the flaws of the HD panel if it's the same as what appears in the galaxy nexus/GS3.
I'm not sure we should automatically assume it was a QC problem at Samsung. Since a firmware update rectified the problem, I'd wager it's just as likely (if not more so given Nokia's other growing pains on the platform) that Nokia was actually undervolting the panel than the panel not performing within expected tolerances.

Pursuant to the original point regarding burn-in ... that isn't a Samsung QC issue either. It's a known limitation of most self-illuminating tech. However each generation of OLED (more specifically, the chemicals, etc. Samsung purchases from UDC) improve upon the last. Given the relatively short lifetimes of phones, I suspect burn-in will be pretty much a non-issue in the near future.

Never used Flipboard, but check out Fuse or Weave.
While Fuse looks cooler, I much prefer the layout of Weave.

Once the next iteration hits which finally includes gReader support among other goodies ... I imagine it will be my go to reader.

Troll

Banned
MEGATON!!

The Verge said:
Nokia is adopting a Zune-like design for its Zeal style we're told, with the handset using Nokia's traditional unibody design. We don't expect Nokia to unveil its Zeal device at a special Windows Phone 8 event on Wednesday, but the handset is tentatively scheduled for an early 2013 debut.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man tomorrow is gonna be awesome! Nokia event and the Motoroogle event. I'm really eager to see what the next moto phone looks like.

I thought we already knew what the phone will look like. And seriously, who gets excited over a motoblur phone?

Edit: and "meh" at the Zeal phone. I'm sure it'll look pretty but I'm not a mid range phone kind of guy. Flagship or bust.

tino

Banned
the 41mp sensor is reserved for the 7" WP8 phablet (with wacom pen) to be unveiled tomorrow.

If they are announcing a 41mp WP8 they would have teased it with rival marketing 2.0 shit. The 808 was teased with a few twits.

Having an ace in your hands but not show it is bad business practice. People who want the 41mp WP8 would rather wait.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
BTW new people to the platform. MS paid Last.FM so we get the full app free unlike iOS and Android. Highly recommend it for music streaming for artist radio. Commercial free too!

NeOak

Because nobody would buy it. Kind of like if they released a WP8 phone with physical keyboard

I don't know if you are serious or just trolling

People love "moar gigipixels" and a hardware keyboard is something you can't really abandon after getting used to it.

PG2G

I don't get this mentality.

I don't know if you are serious or just trolling

People love "moar gigipixels" and a hardware keyboard is something you can't really abanddon after getting used to it.

My point is that they are both products that serve niche markets. The Windows Phone market isn't big enough to support those kinds of products yet, IMO. It is kind of like cars... sometimes they just don't make the engine, color, and transmission combination that you want because the numbers just don't make sense.

And yes, I know we all talk about how we want 41 megapixels and don't care that it makes the phone 2 inches thick. Just wait til you hold it

tino

Banned
My point is that they are both products that serve niche markets. The Windows Phone market isn't big enough to support those kinds of products yet, IMO. It is kind of like cars... sometimes they just don't make the engine, color, and transmission combination that you want because the numbers just don't make sense.

And yes, I know we all talk about how we want 41 megapixels and don't care that it makes the phone 2 inches thick. Just wait til you hold it

You know if Nokia make a 41mp WP8 phone, they would have sold more than Nikon D4.

Yeah I am just go ahead and call you an idiot.

PG2G

You know if Nokia make a 41mp WP8 phone, they would have sold more than Nikon D4.

Yeah I am just go ahead and call you an idiot.

Yes, because it takes as much time, money, and effort to bring a camera to market as it does a smartphone. I'm sure the profit margins are equivalent too

Nokia's focus (for the short term) needs to be on creating mass market products. I'm sure they will cater to the niches in 2013 when they have their bases covered and it makes more sense to do so.

tino

Banned
Seriously?

Sure. Even Fujifilm X100 sold like gangbusters because it offer image quality edge over the competitions, even thought it costs about $300-500 more than the cameras in its class.

Photographers takes superior camera equiptments very seriously.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sure. Even Fujifilm X100 sold like gangbusters because it offer image quality edge over the competitions, even thought it costs about $300-500 more than the cameras in its class.

Photographers takes superior camera equiptments very seriously.

I don't disagree that they take their equipment seriously, but I'm not totally sold that mentally trickles down to the smartphone realm beyond a certain point.

tino

Banned
I don't disagree that they take their equipment seriously, but I'm not totally sold that mentally trickles down to the smartphone realm beyond a certain point.

The camera is the only technological edge Nokia has over the other OEM (keep in mind its not a part you can order from Sony), why wouldn't Nokia want to put it in every Nokia phone? Even a smaller 20mp camera would have done the job.

What do Nokia have in the 820/920 that other OEM don't have? ZTE could have easily make a 820 clone with the same spec.

Milchjon

I'm an idiot. Been waiting for this for weeks now, but didn't think for a second and got a doctor's appointment at the same time.

All is lost :-(

You know, I'll look like an idiot for saying this, but I think Microsoft should introduce Windows Mobile 7. A stable Windows Mobile with modern UI, free for OEM's. Why? To replace Android. Windows Mobile comes close to Android in terms of openness and customisation. If MS releases WM7 for free, OEM's might pick that up cause it will basically be Android without the lawsuits. Minus the apps oufcorse..

Fjolle

You know, I'll look like an idiot for saying this, but I think Microsoft should introduce Windows Mobile 7. A stable Windows Mobile with modern UI, free for OEM's. Why? To replace Android. Windows Mobile comes close to Android in terms of openness and customisation. If MS releases WM7 for free, OEM's might pick that up cause it will basically be Android without the lawsuits. Minus the apps oufcorse..

Yea. You're silly. WM doesn't support any new hardware. That's why they did the whole switch-a-roo with kernels from WP7 to WP8.

Pretty sure the "Windows Mobile" name carries more of a negative connotation than "Windows" or "Windows Phone" these days...

ChanHuk

Banned
What kind of battery life are you Lumia 900 owners getting? I'm getting about 14hrs of so until it gets down to 20%. This is with web browsing throughout the day.

What kind of battery life are you Lumia 900 owners getting? I'm getting about 14hrs of so until it gets down to 20%. This is with web browsing throughout the day.

Depends. If I do web browsing and photo taking on my phone not continuously, but rather a lot, I've noticed that, given 90% of battery, I manage to whittle it down to 1% in around 7 hours. Not bad, huh?

On another note: with background tasks on full blast, and instant push email on Outlook.com and GMail, 8 hours of idle drain costs around 20% of the battery charge.

Yep. It won't sell. Windows Mobile typically contained a large amount of engineering effort for each phone that was released. It was not feasible in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom