• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Depending on carriers, I can't see HTC or anyone else swaying me from a Nokia come WP8.

Being a HTC owner at the moment, all the Nokia software makes me jealous.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No SD card support and a smaller battery than the Ativ S. I don't care about wireless charging and all those expensive accessories and headphones. I do care about Nokia apps.

So I'm still torn on settling for 32gb and Nokia apps or doubling the capacity and having better battery life to boot.

I'll wait for camera reviews and see if the 920 is really that much better or if its just hype. The pics JoeB took in that low light scenario didn't look impressive on the viewfinder. If the camera is just like every other 8mp out there, I'll probably go Samsung again. Ugh.

MCD

They are soooo gonna release 920 v2 with bigger capacity.

Unless of course, Nokia closes up shop.

MarkusRJR

Could someone please help me with an issue I'm having? I've spent the last 2 hours trying to find a way to get Facebook chat working on my phone. I've already connected my phone to my Facebook account and I've connected it with my Windows Live account, but I keep getting an error every time I try to turn on chat in the messaging app settings. It tells me to set it up, then when I hit okay it gives me the error code 80048834 and tells me I must not have an internet connection (despite me having 5 bars 3g and wifi turned on). I can even go on the online version of messenger on my computer and chat with Facebook friends. Why the hell doesn't it work? :(

This is actually so frustrating.

MCD

And WP is still suffering from the same problem: not enough phone makers backing it up.

Like, we are about 2 months away and only 3 phones announced.

Frost_Ace

Could someone please help me with an issue I'm having? I've spent the last 2 hours trying to find a way to get Facebook chat working on my phone. I've already connected my phone to my Facebook account and I've connected it with my Windows Live account, but I keep getting an error every time I try to turn on chat in the messaging app settings. It tells me to set it up, then when I hit okay it gives me the error code 80048834 and tells me I must not have an internet connection (despite me having 5 bars 3g and wifi turned on). I can even go on the online version of messenger on my computer and chat with Facebook friends. Why the hell doesn't it work? :(

Dunno what to say, mine always worked perfectly :eek:

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The verge hands on seems to indicate that yellow and red are glossy while the gray is matte. Gray suddenly jumped over the other colors for me.

PG2G

What do you want, 10 devices on day one? I don't think the number of devices had anything to do with the lack of success so far.

Dipswitch

What are the odds the Lumia 920 will support T-Mobile's flavor of LTE whenever they get around to deploying it?

If I'm gonna buy this off contract for full whack, I want some forward compatibility.

PG2G

I want this to succeed. I have been supporting this for far too long to watch it fail again.

I guess I just don't see how more devices is going to make a huge difference. WP7/7.5 weren't unsuccessful because people couldn't find the devices they needed, it was unsuccessful because the platform and ecosystem didn't meet their needs.

darthbob

Is your Facebook account set to use HTTPS on Facebook.com?

MCD

I guess I just don't see how more devices is going to make a huge difference. WP7/7.5 weren't unsuccessful because people couldn't find the devices they needed, it was unsuccessful because the platform and ecosystem didn't meet their needs.

Not having phone manufactures on board like Sony and others bailing out like Dell and LG sure made it worse.

Not having phone manufactures on board like Sony and others bailing out like Dell and LG sure made it worse.

They launched Windows Phone 7 with 10 or 11 phones in 2010 and look how that went. I don't even feel like doing any damage control, but I fail to see how Dell and LG dropping out is significant for the platform. Dell was never relevant and LG is just ... there. No-one goes out and wants an LG phone. Microsoft has the top three phone OEMs as partners and WP8 is basically the reboot of the reboot of the reboot. Third time's a charm etc blah blah. I'm tired.

thundr51

Looks like I gotta wait just like last time. My contract with tmobile ends this Saturday and so far NOBODY has given a price/date yet. I understand that its kinda early, but still, my HD7 is kinda old.

kazinova

My OG FOcus is waiting to be replaced at this point as well. I'm leaning towards the 920 seeing the camera stuff they showed, plus the Drive/Transportation stuff. I'll have to wait for a proper comparison by some tech site between the 920 and the ATIV S. I really doubt the daytime use claims since they didn't back up their statements with any actual proof.

MarkusRJR

Okay, so it randomly stopped giving me the error code, and instead lets me set Facebook chat to "on". When I actually go to the "online" page in the messaging app it says it "can't connect to see who's online". *sigh*

Why can't this phone work.....

Is your Facebook account set to use HTTPS on Facebook.com?
What do you mean by that?

NeOak

Okay, so it randomly stopped giving me the error code, and instead lets me set Facebook chat to "on". When I actually go to the "online" page in the messaging app it says it "can't connect to see who's online". *sigh*

Why can't this phone work.....

Remove your facebook account from your phone and readd it.

MarkusRJR

Remove your facebook account from your phone and readd it.
So I go to delete remove my Facebook from my phone and it tells me I can't remove it.

"We're having trouble deleting Facebook. Check to make sure you have a connection, then try again. If you do, the problem may be with Windows Live"

The error code it spat out to me was 0x80048834 (the same one as before but now with 0x in front of it). This operating system is seriously pissing me off.

MarkusRJR

Okay so I found out it's related to not accepting some certain terms and conditions thing for Windows Live. I go to the page to accept them, and it tells me that the page is down and to come back later. How fucked am I?

EDIT: So it turns out the page was keeps redirecting me to different pages so it never lets me accept or put in info. If I'm speedy enough to accept the terms and conditions it'll send me to the "page is down" warning page. s
So it keeps going like:

Page with terms and conditions -> page with a hotmail "human checker" (with near unreadable text" -> Online messenger

Who the fuck designed this website? Absolutely dreadful.

Dipswitch

Okay so I found out it's related to not accepting some certain terms and conditions thing for Windows Live. I go to the page to accept them, and it tells me that the page is down and to come back later. How fucked am I?

EDIT: So it turns out the page was keeps redirecting me to different pages so it never lets me accept or put in info. If I'm speedy enough to accept the terms and conditions it'll send me to the "page is down" warning page. s
So it keeps going like:

Page with terms and conditions -> page with a hotmail "human checker" (with near unreadable text" -> Online messenger

Who the fuck designed this website? Absolutely dreadful.

What browser are you using? I've found some of their account management pages don't work so hot with anything less than I.E. If you're on a Windows machine, try using I.E and see if you fare any better.

MarkusRJR

What browser are you using? I've found some of their account management pages don't work so hot with anything less than I.E. If you're on a Windows machine, try using I.E and see if you fare any better.
I took your advice and it finally worked. Finally working. That was really annoying.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Try this out: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...inks-via/13e16051-af75-4fd9-8f08-1e8c33ea3bab

EDIT: AAAAAND that's what I get for not reading the entire thread.

Jadedx

Banned
I'm so upset, I wanted to buy the lumia 920 but it being stuck to att sucks, I will now have to settle for the ativ s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom