• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sordid

The 920 doesn't have a micro sd slot... and the 820 does? Whyyyyyyyyy :( apart from that it's looking good, I'll probably sell my Lumia 800 and get one. Then sell my 920 if they release a pureview Lumia closer to the 808 :lol

venne

The 920 doesn't have a micro sd slot... and the 820 does? Whyyyyyyyyy :( apart from that it's looking good, I'll probably sell my Lumia 800 and get one. Then sell my 920 if they release a pureview Lumia closer to the 808 :lol

I would guess the casing is the issue on the 920.

There's probably not a good spot to put an SD slot on the side, top, or bottom of the device.

maeh2k

What does that mean?

According to rumors, Windows Phone 8 will be release on October 29. At that time, all known Windows Phone 8 phones will be released.

As for the prices, the 920 will be up there with the Galaxy S3 at 550 +- 50 Euros. The 820 will be between 300 and 400, hopefully closer to 300.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So what it will be for you finally?? The Ativ or the 920?

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!

I have no clue. But that iphone/920 comparison pic left me stunned. If this turns out to be the best phone camera outside the 808, then I will likely go 920.

AnkitT

Eh, the conference today didn't really show anything new for wp8, which they're probably saving for a later event or whatever. The lumia 920 looks good, but i'm sure it'll be quite pricey. Besides, I don't have much need for a stunning camera. I'd much rather have good battery life and expandable storage. I've been sticking it out since last year with the DVP and now to the lumia 800, and it seems windows phone on the whole is placing all bets on aesthetics rather than functionality(from what we've seen so far). I'm thinking of jumping ship to android, but i'll probably wait till the end of this year.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pinch to zoom for the camera was new, no? And wasn't that our first look at how the lenses concept works?

I could be wrong, I didn't watch the entire conference Joe b did a few months ago.

those "remove moving stuff from your pictures" and "make stuff move in your pictures" features are mindblowing. the first will be awesome against the guys who jump in your picture with a dumb face, and the second will be brillant for tumblr

maeh2k

I'd much rather have good battery life and expandable storage.

Then you might also want to look at the devices from Samsung and HTC. The Ativ S has 32 GB built in with SD card support and its 2300 mah battery is even larger than the one in the Lumia 920.

A lot of the things Windows Phone 8 does don't immediately jump out as big new features. Of course Android phones can do the things WP8 does with its lenses and of course Android also has Skype, but the way Windows Phone 8 integrates those into the overall experience is really great.

f0lken

Facebook doesn't even want to do an app for Windows 8. What makes you think they'd support an OS with even less market share?

Which is good, their Android app is atrocious, and so it was the iOS one until last month, and the official one in WP is more atractive anyway

But Instagram, now that is an app MS should moneyhat, it has gone from the flavor of the week to an essential app in the same vein as Whatsapp

kazinova

So was the demo side-by-side video real? I can understand the big expensive HD video they were looping, but to go to the effort of faking the shoddy video in the middle of the demo would be sad.

Black-Box

Both Nokia threads in the OT already talked about this?

But I still hope this doesn't blow up too badly...

I am assuming that the technology isn't just for phones and the video never said it was a 920 promotion. so I want to believe that they are using prototypes, and other cameras.

kazinova

Nothing in that promo video was shot with a 920.

I wasn't talking about the promo video, the stage demo video was completely separate, and it had a pretty distinct difference between the SGS3 (or whatever it was) and the 920. But didn't look nearly as vast as the promo vids.

I am assuming that the technology isn't just for phones and the video never said it was a 920 promotion. so I want to believe that they are using prototypes, and other cameras.

That is what they say on the blog. The ad was for Pureview technology coming to Lumia line of phone, but everyone assume it was Lumia 920 ads. It is sort of misleading putting out ads on the same day as big phone announcement.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wasn't talking about the promo video, the stage demo video was completely separate, and it had a pretty distinct difference between the SGS3 (or whatever it was) and the 920. But didn't look nearly as vast as the promo vids.

Well, it was all staged, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It's not that hard to top the SGSIII in camera quality, though. The best comparison I've seen is the one posted a page back against the iPhone. It was a pic anandtech took with both phones and the difference was just stunning. So yeah, it looks like it's a definite leap, but its probably best to wait until some 3rd party gets their hands on it and does a comparison.

Edit: it was on this page: http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2276#31

Edit here is a better one stolen from folken who stole it from gizmodo:
xlarge.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
troll said:
Don't you DARE forget the Arrive!

sprint-arrive-recycle-phone-brotkasten.jpg

Its not like their phones previous to the One X were precisely atractive, even on specs they were behind Samsung and even motorola for the past 2 years

Yeah, and the Titan II is a pretty decent WP 7.5 device. So I guess HTC wasn't exactly pulling an LG for Windows Phone.

Edit #3: So the Verge has the Lumia 920 listed at a slightly higher PPI than iPhone 4...........RETINA BABY!!

sprint-arrive-recycle-phone-brotkasten.jpg

Yeah, and the Titan II is a pretty decent WP 7.5 device. So I guess HTC wasn't exactly pulling an LG for Windows Phone.

Edit #3: So the Verge has the Lumia 920 listed at a slightly higher PPI than iPhone 4...........RETINA BABY!!

The trophy was a solid device, despite all the hate it gets. Ugly, I suppose so. It's small, but it feels solid in my hand. I will never buy a samsung device because they all feel like plastic fischer-price toys to me.

Razdek

Banned
The devices look good and the hopefully the camera lives up to the hype for the 920 but why would they do this conference with no details of carriers, price, barely any new WP8 features, no release date seems crazy to me and lessens the hype.

I understand trying to get ahead of the iPhone announcement but I think they should have waited till closer to the release date with a full WP8 feature unveil. Why are they keeping these features so secret anyways when most of them have already leaked out. It's not like they have something so revolutionary that's going to change the game and turn things around immediately.

The trophy was a solid device, despite all the hate it gets. Ugly, I suppose so. It's small, but it feels solid in my hand. I will never buy a samsung device because they all feel like plastic fischer-price toys to me.

the "fisher price" comparison is almost like a meme, people repeat it so often in so many fields of discussion without saying different than "it feels cheap" or "it is colorful".

whatevs, my samsung omnia 7 disagrees with your notion.

Razdek

Banned
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3294380/nokia-reboot-windows-phone-8-no-release-date

Why does the Verge think it is anyone's fault but MS's as to why they released no price or availability? Samsung did not, and HTC will not.

That article is exactly how I feel about the announcement. I don't know why Microsoft is trying to be like Apple with they way they keep secrets but they are doing it half-assed and it's just starting to just be annoying rather than exciting. Nokia is just caught in the middle of everything.

thirty

Banned
MS better not mess this up. seriously, after Motorola's unveiling, it's pretty clear that outside the iphone5 maybe the note 2, the carriers have nothing exciting this holiday season except for WP8. that's a pretty big window left open for the platform to gain ground.

Razdek

Banned
MS better not mess this up. seriously, after Motorola's unveiling, it's pretty clear that outside the iphone5 maybe the note 2, the carriers have nothing exciting this holiday season except for WP8. that's a pretty big window left open for the platform to gain ground.

Google still has the Nexus announcement to do so there's still that. My gripe with MS is there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to get things done and they work at their own pace which is slow as it is which just doesn't work in the mobile space. No wonder they're in the spot they are and they're only third by default since RIM is an even bigger clusterfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom