• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

MS better not mess this up. seriously, after Motorola's unveiling, it's pretty clear that outside the iphone5 maybe the note 2, the carriers have nothing exciting this holiday season except for WP8. that's a pretty big window left open for the platform to gain ground.
I think something called the samsung galaxian 3 S came out recently.

Blackhead

Redarse
That article is exactly how I feel about the announcement. I don't know why Microsoft is trying to be like Apple with they way they keep secrets but they are doing it half-assed and it's just starting to just be annoying rather than exciting. Nokia is just caught in the middle of everything.

Apple is a hardware company. Microsoft is a software company. Apple saves their new hardware for the super hyped unveiling close to launch. Microsoft is taking advantage of the greater control they have over the WP ecosystem to save their new software for the super hyped unveiling close to launch. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Razdek

Banned
Apple is a hardware company. Microsoft is a software company. Apple saves their new hardware for the super hyped unveiling close to launch. Microsoft is taking advantage of the greater control they have over the WP ecosystem to save their new software for the super hyped unveiling close to launch. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

It's just tease after tease. When JoeB came on stage I was excited to finally hear all of the leaked features that we've heard about and maybe some others we didn't but he pulled the "wait till our next announcement, we have some cool things to show you" facade and it gets frustrating getting stringed along with no payoff.

I remember when Mango came out and everyone was so excited, things are were going to change, Microsoft was going to go crazy advertising it everywhere and in reality it was really tame. It's always the "wait till ..." with this platform and it just gets tiring. Sorry to rant but I really like this platform and hope it finally gets the success it deserves but they haven't shown me anything so far that will get them there.

PG2G

The devices look good and the hopefully the camera lives up to the hype for the 920 but why would they do this conference with no details of carriers, price, barely any new WP8 features, no release date seems crazy to me and lessens the hype.

I understand trying to get ahead of the iPhone announcement but I think they should have waited till closer to the release date with a full WP8 feature unveil. Why are they keeping these features so secret anyways when most of them have already leaked out. It's not like they have something so revolutionary that's going to change the game and turn things around immediately.

Announcing a release date of early November would have definitely have lessened hype. I see what they did as good for a couple reasons:

1. It allows them to get out there ahead of the iPhone launch and convince some people to wait. Had they waited til closer to launch, those people would have just gotten iPhones

2. Even though the initial hype will wear off come launch time, the unknown features will provide another opportunity to build hype closer to the release.

Commodore

The interesting thing is what they have left to show that is so important that they can't talk about it yet. Its only two-ish months away. What could possibly be copied by their competitors if that's indeed the reason they're holding things back. I think lots of companies realize just how hard it is to coordinate everything to have it ready right after announcing it. I think if anything, its something Apple truly excels at and I've yet to see any company do it at all like Apple manages to do it. I wish I believed Microsoft has something big waiting to show, and is holding it off after their competition blows their load, to lay down something truly compelling software-wise, but I can't help but think that its really because everything isn't quite done yet to show off.

Still, damn, I'm still kinda torn about getting a 920 later this year or waiting to see what Nokia brings in the Spring if the rumors hold true about a handset that's truly special. Most likely I'll go ahead of get one and sell it if they release something stunning next year.

the "fisher price" comparison is almost like a meme, people repeat it so often in so many fields of discussion without saying different than "it feels cheap" or "it is colorful".

whatevs, my samsung omnia 7 disagrees with your notion.

My Samsung Omnia, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Focus, and Focus Flash all feel really cheap. They seem like very cheap and inferior plastic, and they are too light for my taste. That is why I don't plan on supporting Samsung in the near future. The Ativ looked like it was going to convince me otherwise, until I saw the removable back, which indicates to me that they haven't changed a thing. I can't speak for the Omnia 7, but every other Samsung product I've felt and used is cheap and overrated.

EDIT: I've only owned an Omnia, Nexus S, Focus. The others I have borrowed for extensive amounts of time.

Also, the AMOLED screens that many people were gushing over looked like garbage when I saw them in person for the first time. Saturation was terrible. I was a Galaxy2 'gusher' until I saw one in person. That's when I finally realized specs were truly stupid.

Razdek

Banned
Announcing a release date of early November would have definitely have lessened hype. I see what they did as good for a couple reasons:

1. It allows them to get out there ahead of the iPhone launch and convince some people to wait. Had they waited til closer to launch, those people would have just gotten iPhones

2. Even though the initial hype will wear off come launch time, the unknown features will provide another opportunity to build hype closer to the release.

Then they should have scheduled this conference closer to the release date in early October so it then has a chance to garner and keep the hype. I'd rather it be delayed but more details known (WP8 features, carriers, pricing, release date) than the shell conference they held today.

People who are waiting to buy an IPhone are going to buy the IPhone and there's going to be hype surrounding it for weeks. What better way to start up the WP8 hype after the hype for the IPhone launch has died down and ride that wave until release.

I know Microsoft has a hard on for the 3 platform strategy but why can't they stagger their releases a little? No one is going to buy a new PC, tablet, WP8 phone all within that same time frame so why can't they release things weeks apart instead of days?

Then they should have scheduled this conference closer to the release date in early October so it then has a chance to garner and keep the hype. I'd rather it be delayed but more details known (WP8 features, carriers, pricing, release date) than the shell conference they held today.

People who are waiting to buy an IPhone are going to buy the IPhone and there's going to be hype surrounding it for weeks. What better way to start up the WP8 hype after the hype for the IPhone launch has died down and ride that wave until release.

I know Microsoft has a hard on for the 3 platform strategy but why can't they stagger their releases a little? No one is going to buy a new PC, tablet, WP8 phone all within that same time frame so why can't they release things weeks apart instead of days?

HTC conference in two weeks :)

giga

I don't think it's a matter of hardware. I'm convinced they haven't been able to ship the OS. The freaking SDK hasn't even been released to devs yet. There's a "near final preview" coming next week--but it's limited to select devs. The real thing, beta or preview, should have been out much earlier to all devs.

I can't even imagine if "select" iOS developers were only getting a preview iOS 6 SDK just next week. It would be insanity and there would be no way they could ship the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 by September 21, the targeted release date.

Check out the comments to see how frustrated devs are (and rightly so).: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...k-preview-opens-for-applications-sept-12.aspx

PG2G

I don't agree at all. I know a number of current iPhone owners who were very impressed with what Nokia shows. If Apple doesn't blow them away in a week they will definitely be waiting for the Lumia. These same people would have definitely just picked up the new iPhone if they weren't now interested in something they knew was coming.

Razdek

Banned
I don't agree at all. I know a number of current iPhone owners who were very impressed with what Nokia shows. If Apple doesn't blow them away in a week they will definitely be waiting for the Lumia. These same people would have definitely just picked up the new iPhone if they weren't now interested in something they knew was coming.

Same here, some of my iPhone friends said it looked very good and the camera awesome but getting them to drop their iPhone and go over to WP8 is not going to happen. They're waiting for the iPhone announcement.

steelcity

Neo Member
The devices look good and the hopefully the camera lives up to the hype for the 920 but why would they do this conference with no details of carriers, price, barely any new WP8 features, no release date seems crazy to me and lessens the hype.

I understand trying to get ahead of the iPhone announcement but I think they should have waited till closer to the release date with a full WP8 feature unveil. Why are they keeping these features so secret anyways when most of them have already leaked out. It's not like they have something so revolutionary that's going to change the game and turn things around immediately.
I fully agree. Should've had a full suite of carrier details with release dates and prices. That would've lessened the blow of not all the features being shown today.

PG2G

Same here, some of my iPhone friends said it looked very good and the camera awesome but getting them to drop their iPhone and go over to WP8 is not going to happen. They're waiting for the iPhone announcement.

I feel like there is a fairly good chance that the iPhone announcement will disappoint a lot of people (based on leaks and what we already know of iOS 6). There leaves room for Nokia/Microsoft to capitalize on it.

If you think that people won't be willing to drop their iPhones and Android phones to come to pick up a Lumia then announcing any more than they did wouldn't have made a difference either.

I fully agree. Should've had a full suite of carrier details with release dates and prices. That would've lessened the blow of not all the features being shown today.

So you think it would have helped a lot if they came out and say coming to AT&T in... November?

Razdek

Banned
I feel like there is a fairly good chance that the iPhone announcement will disappoint a lot of people (based on leaks and what we already know of iOS 6). There leaves room for Nokia/Microsoft to capitalize on it.

If you think that people won't be willing to drop their iPhones and Android phones to come to pick up a Lumia then announcing any more than they did wouldn't have made a difference either.

Honestly, I think most iPhone users want the exact same thing and having a bigger screen and better camera is good enough for them. By doing this announcement before Apple's, Nokia is saying don't buy the iPhone, we have a great product too, wait for it to come out. But in reality that isn't for another two months whereas the iPhone will be available in a couple of weeks so the reason to wait isn't that compelling.

Frost_Ace

I received my lumia back from Nokia care and the gps still doesn't work properly.

This is fucking unbelievable I waited two weeks and they just hard reset the phone...

PG2G

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3294380/nokia-reboot-windows-phone-8-no-release-date

Pretty mch sums up my feelings. They don't have a clue when and how to show a new product to garner hype. This will be quickly forgot about on the 12th even though it's a better phone and OS.

Is your issue that they didn't announce the details (release date, pricing, carriers), or is it that the release date is too far off?

IMO, announcing a release date 2 months from now is no better than not announcing a date. On the same token, there are (arguably) good reasons for them to have announced today instead of closer to release.

steelcity

Neo Member
Is your issue that they didn't announce the details (release date, pricing, carriers), or is it that the release date is too far off?

IMO, announcing a release date 2 months from now is no better than not announcing a date. On the same token, there are (arguably) good reasons for them to have announced today instead of closer to release.
Both! IMO the announcement should've came between the iPhone announcement and release date and launched within a month. As soon as the event was over we should've been able to preorder from our respective carriers.

PG2G

Both! IMO the announcement should've came between the iPhone announcement and release date and launched within a month. As soon as the event was over we should've been able to preorder from our respective carriers.

You don't see any value in announcing before the iPhone? I could see doing it later (e.g. around the time of the HTC announcement), but there are benefits to doing it beforehand. (note: not sure if you mean between iPhone announcement and release or iPhone announcement and Lumia release).

People could probably debate forever about whether it makes sense to announce before or after the iPhone. The reality is that launching anywhere near the iPhone is a lose-lose and you just choose what you feel is the lesser of two evils.

Nokia thinks their product is innovative enough that it will sway people away from the iPhone so they went first.

Razdek

Banned

It's fine that they announce this but give concrete details of release date, price, carriers if they do. If they wanted to entice iPhone users to wait for it then start taking pre-orders to get them somewhat committed. This was just an announcement of an announcement to come.

joshschw

I received my lumia back from Nokia care and the gps still doesn't work properly.

This is fucking unbelievable I waited two weeks and they just hard reset the phone...

Well, that sounds great... Sent my Lumia in two weeks ago, they've had it in their hands now for well over a week and haven't even acknowledged receipt of it yet. Chat rep couldn't figure it out, and Im still waiting for my phone call from the repair center about it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I could see being disappointed if you hadn't been following along, but at least in this thread we knew that these phones couldn't release before Windows 8 in late October. Given the slipping SDK dates, I don't even think they are ready to launch alongside win8 either. November seems like a safe bet and it has been that way for a while.

I'm angry about the lack of details on the software itself. I don't see the advantage of waiting to unveil features until late October. Many have leaked and the rest will eventually. I guess they'll have some sort of conference after win8 launches to try to hype up the phones.

dLMN8R

Wow, the 920 looks pretty fucking hot. The camera especially, but even the Super Sensitive Touch is huge for me.

Unless Apple blows it out of the water next week with completely unexpected stuff, I'm definitely getting the 920.

And a new iPod Touch too, just like I have a Samsung Focus and latest-gen iPod Touch right now :p Too many great iOS apps and games to just give up on that ecosystem.

PG2G

It's fine that they announce this but give concrete details of release date, price, carriers if they do. If they wanted to entice iPhone users to wait for it then start taking pre-orders to get them somewhat committed. This was just an announcement of an announcement to come.

I guess I am coming from a very US-centric POV. We already have a rough idea of the release date, we already have a rough idea of the price ($200 +/- $50 is a safe bet, if less then that'd be an awesome surprise), and the carrier... is pretty much 100% sure going to be mine (AT&T) lol.

I'm angry about the lack of details on the software itself. I don't see the advantage of waiting to unveil features until late October. Many have leaked and the rest will eventually. I guess they'll have some sort of conference after win8 launches to try to hype up the phones.

Agreed, that was the main thing that I found disappointing. I want to know mooooooore :p The blogs portrayed this as the big WP unveil. I hate blogs -_-

steelcity

Neo Member
You don't see any value in announcing before the iPhone? I could see doing it later (e.g. around the time of the HTC announcement), but there are benefits to doing it beforehand. (note: not sure if you mean between iPhone announcement and release or iPhone announcement and Lumia release).

People could probably debate forever about whether it makes sense to announce before or after the iPhone. The reality is that launching anywhere near the iPhone is a lose-lose and you just choose what you feel is the lesser of two evils.

Nokia thinks their product is innovative enough that it will sway people away from the iPhone so they went first.
I can see what was confusing about what I said. Generally when apple debute's an iPhone it releases less than a month from the date. Usually within 14 days and pre orders are up shortly. I personally think the announcement should've came after the iPhone 5 but before its actually released. Hell it should've happened after the announcement but before you could reserve the thing. As soon as the conference was over preorder pages should've been available.

Hell if they executed that today the press would've eaten it up.

PG2G

I'll agree with that. Though HTC has that slot lined up for the 19th, so not all is lost :p

At this point, I think Microsoft has to have some sort of plan to hype things up come October. They have Windows 8, the Surface, and Windows Phone 8. With that sort of line up, all releasing within the weeks, we'll probably be overloaded with ads and promotions

rozay

Banned
I can see what was confusing about what I said. Generally when apple debute's an iPhone it releases less than a month from the date. Usually within 14 days and pre orders are up shortly. I personally think the announcement should've came after the iPhone 5 but before its actually released. Hell it should've happened after the announcement but before you could reserve the thing. As soon as the conference was over preorder pages should've been available.

Hell if they executed that today the press would've eaten it up.
They were fucked regardless of whether they announced it now or waited until after the iphone announcement. The announcement and release will own something like 2-4 weeks of tech and public news, and by then it's already October.

The only thing that could've helped these phones would be Microsoft finishing WP8 earlier. Announcing it now, riding the iPhone wave out then coming with a combined windows8+windows rt+windows phone 8 media blitz is the best that can be done with microsoft's current schedule.

At this point, I think Microsoft has to have some sort of plan to hype things up come October. They have Windows 8, the Surface, and Windows Phone 8. With that sort of line up, all releasing within the weeks, we'll probably be overloaded with ads and promotions

I hope so too. Apparently WP has had marketing money in the past, yet never used it ourselves. The IE ads seem to indicate that MS in-house marketing is at least somewhat relevant. If a similarly 'decent' ad shows up for WP throughout the holiday season, I will be pleased.

Sean

Banned

One of the reasons Apple has hugely successful product launches is the incredibly short wait time from announcement to release. Usually you can purchase the product that same day, or at worst preorder that same week. They don't allow the hype to deflate.

With Nokia's announcements today people don't know any crucial details like pricing or availability, whether it'll be on their carrier, there's no way to actually preorder the phone yet, and Microsoft was unable to unwilling to do a full WP8 software reveal too... So imo there was very little benefit for Nokia to announce this early when they'll just have to restart the hype train again in November.

PG2G

With Nokia's announcements today people don't know any crucial details like pricing or availability, whether it'll be on their carrier, there's no way to actually preorder the phone yet, and Microsoft was unable to unwilling to do a full WP8 software reveal too... So imo there was very little benefit for Nokia to announce this early when they'll just have to restart the hype train again in November.

There is a reason. They convinced some people to hold off on buying an iPhone. Not sure why you guys are so convinced that there aren't people out there that went from guaranteed new iPhone owner to new iPhone owner IF it impresses.

thirty

Banned
i believe a nokia rep slipped and said the new lumias are ready to go, they're just waiting on the software. wtf MS!!!

Sean

Banned
There is a reason. They convinced some people to hold off on buying an iPhone. Not sure why you guys are so convinced that there aren't people out there that went from guaranteed new iPhone owner to new iPhone owner IF it impresses.

Realistically I don't think many people are going to hold off on buying the most hyped gadget of the year for a competing phone which they don't even know will be sold on their carrier or not.

This early announcement might have worked if Nokia released actual details, but they didn't give people much reason for people to wait an extra 2-3 months for the Lumia.

maeh2k

The interesting thing is what they have left to show that is so important that they can't talk about it yet. Its only two-ish months away. What could possibly be copied by their competitors if that's indeed the reason they're holding things back.

I think we know virtually all there is to know about Windows Phone 8 from the leaks. They just decided it wasn't the right time for a full presentation. It would have detracted from the hardware announcements and the whole presentation would have had to be significantly longer (it already was 1.5h long).

For yesterday there was enough to talk about. I'm okay with them spreading out the news a bit.

I don't think it's a matter of hardware. I'm convinced they haven't been able to ship the OS. The freaking SDK hasn't even been released to devs yet. There's a "near final preview" coming next week--but it's limited to select devs. The real thing, beta or preview, should have been out much earlier to all devs.

I can't even imagine if "select" iOS developers were only getting a preview iOS 6 SDK just next week. It would be insanity and there would be no way they could ship the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 by September 21, the targeted release date.

Check out the comments to see how frustrated devs are (and rightly so).: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...k-preview-opens-for-applications-sept-12.aspx

It's insane to think that the OS hasn't gone gold yet. Holding the SDK back for the general public (some devs already have it), might not even be that bad. If they continue to use the 7.1 SDK, they basically create apps for both platforms and delay the inevitable fragmentation for a while.

As for the features, I think there might be something exciting left. At least for some people.

If you're at Sprint and waiting for a Windows Phone, wait for 2013.

Tc0AF.png

ChanHuk

Banned
Only 32GB of storage for the 920? No deal. I've used up 40GB of my 64GB available on my old 4S. Then again, I had a ton of apps that I didn't use. And yes, I know there's online cloud storage with Skydrive but there's a thing called tiered data that screws that up all together.

Only 32GB of storage for the 920? No deal. I've used up 40GB of my 64GB available on my old 4S. Then again, I had a ton of apps that I didn't use. And yes, I know there's online cloud storage with Skydrive but there's a thing called tiered data that screws that up all together.

*wonders what made him use up 40 GB of space in the first place*

I must be the only person that is perfectly content with just 16 GB of space, if only because I tend to keep things in check.

ChanHuk

Banned
*wonders what made him use up 40 GB of space in the first place*

I must be the only person that is perfectly content with just 16 GB of space, if only because I tend to keep things in check.

My iPhone data dates back to the iPhone 3G so that's uh....3 years of pictures and what nots? Believe it or not, I used most of that data on random video footage that Apple won't let me choose the quality. It just resorts to 1080p. So that's probably the issue.

My iPhone data dates back to the iPhone 3G so that's uh....3 years of pictures and what nots? Believe it or not, I used most of that data on random video footage that Apple won't let me choose the quality. It just resorts to 1080p. So that's probably the issue.

You might want to consider stashing all the photos somewhere outside of your phone, then you can reclaim all the space taken up. I tend to shuttle all my data on my phone to my computer when I have the time to do so, then clear it all from my phone.

ChanHuk

Banned
You might want to consider stashing all the photos somewhere outside of your phone, then you can reclaim all the space taken up. I tend to shuttle all my data on my phone to my computer when I have the time to do so, then clear it all from my phone.

......why? I bought the storage for a reason....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom