• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

You can say IOS is boring but the fact is it still has more functionality than WP at the moment and the ecosystem is a lot better.
Can you clarify? You stated that iOS has more functionality and the ecosystem is better. That statement would seem to me that the phone itself has more functionality before the apps come into play. I was just wondering what that functionality is? I personally can't think of anything and I was an iPhone user from day one until late last year.

ElNino

You can say IOS is boring but the fact is it still has more functionality than WP at the moment and the ecosystem is a lot better. There's a lot more things you can do on it so until WP catches up and narrows the features list people have the right to complain.
Not trying to being argumentative... but what does iOS do functionality wise that WP does not? If anything, I would say that WP as an OS does more than iOS considering the built-in social media stuff. Granted, this is only based on my experiences using my WP devices (Focus/Lumia 900) as compared to my wife's iPad but other than the pre-installed YouTube and Google Maps applications, I can't think of anything I've used the iPad for that wasn't an non-OS app.

You can say IOS is boring but the fact is it still has more functionality than WP at the moment and the ecosystem is a lot better. There's a lot more things you can do on it so until WP catches up and narrows the features list people have the right to complain.

I'm looking forward to Apollo as much as everyone here but hope it's not a version one reset due to changing kernels. Microsoft has to nail it with that release because I don't think they can have another "wait till ...." moment.

I'm not some delusional fanboy that can't see the facts. I know what iOS can and can't do, I use my iPad more than my Windows Phone. I'd still take a Windows Phone over any iPhone.

Not trying to being argumentative... but what does iOS do functionality wise that WP does not? If anything, I would say that WP as an OS does more than iOS considering the built-in social media stuff. Granted, this is only based on my experiences using my WP devices (Focus/Lumia 900) as compared to my wife's iPad but other than the pre-installed YouTube and Google Maps applications, I can't think of anything I've used the iPad for that wasn't an non-OS app.

I think he means that the OS allows more functionality and that true, when you look at the available APIs.

gcubed

I'm looking forward to Apollo as much as everyone here but hope it's not a version one reset due to changing kernels. Microsoft has to nail it with that release because I don't think they can have another "wait till ...." moment.

I'm officially on the "Wait for Apollo" train (well, also, i'm on the "wait until it starts selling and Verizon decides to actually offer a phone" train, which will probably coming after the wait for apollo train).

I do have some questions though... the absolute most important factor for me is calendar. Now, i can easily migrate away from Google Calendar, but I still need the sharing options on what I would migrate to. My wife and I share our calendars so we can see whats going on if one of us makes plans. If i can't do that, I can't move. I dont even need to use Google Calendar (i know this functionality doesn't exist on other OSs GCal apps...) i just need that functionality.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I do have some questions though... the absolute most important factor for me is calendar. Now, i can easily migrate away from Google Calendar, but I still need the sharing options on what I would migrate to. My wife and I share our calendars so we can see whats going on if one of us makes plans. If i can't do that, I can't move. I dont even need to use Google Calendar (i know this functionality doesn't exist on other OSs GCal apps...) i just need that functionality.

Here you go: sharing calendars on wp7

Razdek

Banned
Can you clarify? You stated that iOS has more functionality and the ecosystem is better. That statement would seem to me that the phone itself has more functionality before the apps come into play. I was just wondering what that functionality is? I personally can't think of anything and I was an iPhone user from day one until late last year.

I meant that there are more APIs available for developers so they can develop more variety of apps like VPN ones and so forth. As for the OS itself I still think that multi-tasking is broken and that's a combination of it being too limited and the apps not getting upgraded to use it.

The built in social apps in the people hub is great but I still end up using dedicated apps for it like Facebook, rowi, Carbon and Medoh because you can do a lot more in them. Bing Maps navigation isn't too useful since you have to tap the screen in order for it to tell you the next turn.

I'm not some delusional fanboy that can't see the facts. I know what iOS can and can't do, I use my iPad more than my Windows Phone. I'd still take a Windows Phone over any iPhone.

I think he means that the OS allows more functionality and that true, when you look at the available APIs.

Yea that's what I meant that there is more things that can be done because of the open APIs. I agree, I have more fun using WP and it's more "delightful" to use as Microsoft puts it and I want them to do well because I do use a lot of their services. A little criticism to where they should be can only help them get there and hopefully they'll get there sooner than later.

Razdek

Banned
One of the things I don't like is Microsofts stance that it's better because it's glance and go and you don't have to spend a lot of time on the phone. When I purchase a phone I like to use it and spend a lot of time with it since it's an important device that helps with my daily tasks and I don't think it's a bad thing.

Wouldn't they actually want people to spend more time on their devices so they're using the services that they're providing, browsing the marketplace to purchase things and getting more into the ecosystem? That's one thing that I think they made a mistake with in their initial ads.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife called and told me her data doesn't work. I'm guessing this will eventually affect all Lumia 900's, not just some like Nokia's blog post seemed to imply.

Man, with the $100 credit, some people are literally being paid to buy a Lumia 900. Makes me mad that I'm not due for an upgrade!!!

One of the things I don't like is Microsofts stance that it's better because it's glance and go and you don't have to spend a lot of time on the phone. When I purchase a phone I like to use it and spend a lot of time with it since it's an important device that helps with my daily tasks and I don't think it's a bad thing.

Wouldn't they actually want people to spend more time on their devices so they're using the services that they're providing, browsing the marketplace to purchase things and getting more into the ecosystem? That's one thing that I think they made a mistake with in their initial ads.

Yeah, I think the idea behind their first series was clever, but didn't really fit with the idea of a new phone that everyone will(should) want. Especially given how beautiful the UI is--you WANT to admire it and spend time with it.

PG2G

It depends what you're doing with your phone... if you're looking for a specific piece of information or doing a specific task then their message perfect sense.

BTW, The Lumia 610 is actually a good looking phone based on that NFC video. Actually looks nicer than a 710 IMO.

It depends what you're doing with your phone... if you're looking for a specific piece of information or doing a specific task then their message perfect sense.

BTW, The Lumia 610 is actually a good looking phone based on that NFC video. Actually looks nicer than a 710 IMO.

True. But they didn't really have an ad campaign addressing the idea of wanting to spend time using your phone. The only ad campaign launched in the beginning were the "Really?" ads, which didn't highlight the phone's appeal in full.

Blackhead

Redarse

They had two advertising messages. There were the 'Really?!' ads that were promoting glance-and-go but there were also the Xbox avatar ads that were promoting full fledged immersion in the service. Microsoft offers both experiences: the basic system itself is all about being light and providing a important information quickly and if you gets their apps you can spend as much time as you want in those. Contrast with iOS which is all about the apps and Android which errs towards an overload of information in the limited space.

I think glance-and-go is the future really. Most people have a smartphone and desktop/laptop now, so they spend a lot of time with the phone, but as tablets get more uptake we'll see smartphone use plummet. Most people will spend their time with the tablet and won't want to dig around the phone just to read messages or listen to voicemail.

I don't think Microsoft has gone far enough in the glance-and-go direction. The system still needs another form of alert so I don't have to turn on the screen to check notifications. The tiles feature, as brilliant as it is, still can't keep up with all the alerts that a true notification center might be able to handle. If those features were included in Windows Phone it'd be my go to device right now. As it is, I've abandoned phones and switched to tablets entirely.

Razdek

Banned

It may be good for things like weather, traffic which is great for glance and go but most of the time you do have to go into an app. The USA Today app is great where it shows you images of the top stories and entices you to go into the app to read them and I think they need more of those type of apps.

True. But they didn't really have an ad campaign addressing the idea of wanting to spend time using your phone. The only ad campaign launched in the beginning were the "Really?" ads, which didn't highlight the phone's appeal in full.

I agree, it's a beautiful OS that I don't think Microsoft knows how to market it as and Nokia's come out with the "Beautifully Different" ad campaign. I don't think I even know how to market it but when I show my friend's they like it, but wouldn't switch phones for it.

Razdek

Banned
They had two advertising messages. There were the 'Really?!' ads that were promoting glance-and-go but there were also the Xbox avatar ads that were promoting full fledged immersion in the service. Microsoft offers both experiences: the basic system itself is all about being light and providing a important information quickly and if you gets their apps you can spend as much time as you want in those. Contrast with iOS which is all about the apps and Android which errs towards an overload of information in the limited space.

I think glance-and-go is the future really. Most people have a smartphone and desktop/laptop now, so they spend a lot of time with the phone, but as tablets get more uptake we'll see smartphone use plummet. Most people will spend their time with the tablet and won't want to dig around the phone just to read messages or listen to voicemail.

I don't think Microsoft has gone far enough in the glance-and-go direction. The system still needs another form of alert so I don't have to turn on the screen to check notifications. The tiles feature, as brilliant as it is, still can't keep up with all the alerts that a true notification center might be able to handle. If those features were included in Windows Phone it'd be my go to device right now. As it is, I've abandoned phones and switched to tablets entirely.

I agree, I don't know why they took out the LED notification light (or why OEMs did) because that tends to go in line with their glance and go philosophy. Having to turn your phone on just to find out if there are any notifications is the opposite.

ElNino

I agree, I don't know why they took out the LED notification light (or why OEMs did) because that tends to go in line with their glance and go philosophy. Having to turn your phone one just to find out if there are any notifications is the opposite.
The LED notification is what I miss most from my BlackBerry. I had it configured to blink a different colour for each notification type (email, SMS, Facebook, missed call, etc) and it was very useful.

Do you think they'll ever start offering more access to the lock screen and what is displayed there? I know that doesn't really directly address your want/complaint, but I was thinking this morning about the multiple push notifications I get for individual news items from some apps, and I wondered if third-parties will ever be "granted" access to display lock screen alerts?

I don't think I even know how to market it but when I show my friend's they like it, but wouldn't switch phones for it.

Anecdotally, the only people I've gotten to "switch" to WP7 have been first time smartphone users and those who upgrade from an old iPhone and aren't embedded in the ecosystem.

Really, unless a current Android or iOS user WANTS to try something new, there's not much point in them switching over, right now.

While MS is clearly behind in ecosystem, I think they've bested iOS/Android when it comes to UI. I know UI and feature teams are typically kept separate, but a UI redesign takes resources, and there's always the chance MS can "catch up" when Apple (inevitably???) has a modern UI redesign/update. Clearly, however, the public isn't clamoring for an iOS redesign.

Razdek

Banned
The LED notification is what I miss most from my BlackBerry. I had it configured to blink a different colour for each notification type (email, SMS, Facebook, missed call, etc) and it was very useful.

I really hope that Apollo has this in the update. It seems so minor yet it's really powerful to be able to do this on a phone. It's the small things that add up to make the overall experience better.

Milchjon

Bah, the "Nokia fucked up/is fucked" stories are gaining mainstream exposure. The news about Nokia's losses is the top story on one of Germany's biggest news site.

I'm using the Skyscanner app and I thought someone here said you could have multiple live tiles that update with flight prices/details? I can't figure out how to do that. Or did I just imagine it?

giga

Bah, the "Nokia fucked up/is fucked" stories are gaining mainstream exposure. The news about Nokia's losses is the top story on one of Germany's biggest news site.
Giving $100 to all those Lumia 900 buyers isn't helping their [future] earnings reports. They're already heavily subsidized.

Milchjon

Yep, OP is great. I never realized Local Scout is gimped in Germany, I always just assumed that was the "Local" part of search. At least now I checked what my phone can do under "Local", and it's still kinda awesome.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Great OP, love the banner. How easy is it for you to update phone carrier availability? Several phones are now available in Canada (Radar, 710, 800, 900).

Edit: Love that the banner switches between the Titan and the 900.

Below: Yeah, Pirates is pretty solid. Read somewhere that it is based on the iPad version.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sid Meier's Pirates is a surprisingly good port, unlike civ rev. I think I'm buying this.

edit: Whoa, nice OP brot.

AnkitT

Yep, OP is great. I never realized Local Scout is gimped in Germany, I always just assumed that was the "Local" part of search. At least now I checked what my phone can do under "Local", and it's still kinda awesome.

If you set the system locale to English(US) you can get the full featured local scout. Which still picks up on your local locations even outside the US. I have been using an US hotmail for the device since I was stuck with it and couldnt change it, and it still is pretty good with local stuff.

Milchjon

If you set the system locale to English(US) you can get the full featured local scout. Which still picks up on your local locations even outside the US. I have been using an US hotmail for the device since I was stuck with it and couldnt change it, and it still is pretty good with local stuff.

Haha, thanks, now that's stupid.

Thanks guys. I'm really sorry about the huge delay and the OP isn't really finished yet. I'll have to tweak few things here and there. But still, if it wasn't for frontieruk, it wouldn't be up at all. Unlike many other people, he actually helped me when he said so and did a big part of the Bing section and helped me finish the animated banner. It's actually rotating between the Lumia 800, Focus S and Radar. Soon there will be two additional clips in the banner. Yes, I'm a bit mad, but you guys know that Metro works best in motion.

Great OP, love the banner. How easy is it for you to update phone carrier availability? Several phones are now available in Canada (Radar, 710, 800, 900).

Edit: Love that the banner switches between the Titan and the 900.

I made it really easy to update the phone tiles, but I'm thinking about ditching the carrier tile, because it's a huge pain to maintain it.

Nero3000

I'm using the Skyscanner app and I thought someone here said you could have multiple live tiles that update with flight prices/details? I can't figure out how to do that. Or did I just imagine it?

Just had a quick play around. (new updated UI is fantastic btw)

Once you have searched for the dates and location you want to fly on, you are presented with a list of flight specifics (i.e. 7.20am flight from this airport) and it will give you a price. Click on this.

In the next view, which shows the detail for that trip, there is a pin button in the app bar. This will update the price for that specific flight (or flights for return).

You can pin as many of those as you need.

frontieruk

WP user base just tripled!

Btw. Is there anyway to get music search to work with a Danish phone, or is it locked to Live-ID?

And local search doesn't give any results here :/

Try

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Do you think they'll ever start offering more access to the lock screen and what is displayed there? I know that doesn't really directly address your want/complaint, but I was thinking this morning about the multiple push notifications I get for individual news items from some apps, and I wondered if third-parties will ever be "granted" access to display lock screen alerts?
Windows 8 allows you to select 4 or 5 apps to have notifications for the lockscreen. No apps in the CP really take advantage of it yet though.

I assume something like that could be coming to the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom