• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
......why? I bought the storage for a reason....

Actually, when you see the actual amount of storage that all the stuff that you can't take away on your phone, you should have a better idea on how much storage you actually need on your next phone. Starting storage on phones can get expensive.

Razdek

Banned
Realistically I don't think many people are going to hold off on buying the most hyped gadget of the year for a competing phone which they don't even know will be sold on their carrier or not.

This early announcement might have worked if Nokia released actual details, but they didn't give people much reason for people to wait an extra 2-3 months for the Lumia.

That's exactly how I feel. If they wanted people to who were holding off buying an iPhone to wait for the new Lumias then why not release details on price and carriers or allow them to at least sign up for pre-orders? The more info they give the more they'll give customers reasons to hold off on buying an iPhone so making an announcement that had no meat to it is why people are upset.

When Apple does their presentation you can bet they'll give price, release date and pre-orders plans. Even at the Motorla conference they gave out details on price, availability and pre-order information which is at the end of the day what consumers want to hear. Microsoft and Nokia are doing it wrong.

Razdek

Banned
It's insane to think that the OS hasn't gone gold yet. Holding the SDK back for the general public (some devs already have it), might not even be that bad. If they continue to use the 7.1 SDK, they basically create apps for both platforms and delay the inevitable fragmentation for a while.

As for the features, I think there might be something exciting left. At least for some people.

Yea obviously the software isn't ready and they're going to work on it until the last minute. I if can imagine the frustrations from devs that want to develop apps for it but are left in the dark which is unusual since Microsoft has always made it easy for them to do development for their platforms but not this one.

maeh2k

Guys, what's the best cloud serivce to stream videos other than Skydrive? I'm finding the 300mb limit too restricrting :/

Don't know how SkyDrive works for streaming, but I believe that the file size limit should be 2GB by now (at least for files uploaded with SkyDrive for Windows).

JaggedSac

Guys, what's the best cloud serivce to stream videos other than Skydrive? I'm finding the 300mb limit too restricrting :/

Not sure you are using the cloud for storage or just for access to the videos, but Plex is an open source media server and it has an app for WP. Pretty great.

ElNino

If you are buying the largest storage option for your iPhone so that you can store your photos and videos, then I think it might be better (and a lot cheaper) to stick with the mid (or low) tier storage and sync your photos with your PC.

PG2G

Sounds like a habit born out of the fact that the iPhone isn't any good at aggregating media from different locations. I can't imagine any reason to keep photos locally (especially 3 year old ones) when photos in the cloud are just as easy as access to those stored on the device. Especially with WP8 adding the ability to sync full res images automatically

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sounds like a habit born out of the fact that the iPhone isn't any good at aggregating media from different locations. I can't imagine any reason to keep photos locally (especially 3 year old ones) when photos in the cloud are just as easy as access to those stored on the device. Especially with WP8 adding the ability to sync full res images automatically

I've come to this conclusion for all of my media. Now I'm not saying the barebones 8 gigs is enough that phones like the 820 or Atrix HD ship with is enough, but 16 guys for the average user is fine for the average user, and 32 for the heavy.

Not saying more storage isn't nice, but with cloud options I just don't feel the need. Plus it means everything is backed up too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
16 gbs isn't enough for me. I hate having to manage my storage. 32gb might be enough, I'm not sure, but I had a 32gb sd card lying around that I have been waiting to use on my next phone, and then Nokia shits all over that.

PG2G

Looks like Thurrott said the 820 will be $99 and the 920 will be $149 on the What The Tech podcast the other day.

kinggroin

Banned
May be looking into getting a win phone for shits and giggles. I currently use the following apps on a regular basis:

HBO go
Netflix
Google reader
Pocket casts
Google plus
Instagram
Tumblr
YouTube
Google music (cloud streaming)

What would I lose or gain by moving to a win phone?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
May be looking into getting a win phone for shits and giggles. I currently use the following apps on a regular basis:

HBO go
Netflix
Google reader
Pocket casts
Google plus
Instagram
Tumblr
YouTube

For now mainly the Google stuff is what you'd lose out on as well as Instagram. Podcasts is built into the device and there are apps for Netflix and HBO. Youtube works fine. You'd need to switch to a different 3rd party reader, but no biggie there.

Your just SOL on Google+ as their isn't really an app for that, and WP doesn't have an instagram app yet either. There isn't an official GMusic app, but there are 3rd party ones so you'd be okay there.

All of this is subject to change once WP8 hits though and we see if more devs get on board or not.

steelcity

Neo Member

HBO go
Netflix
Google reader
Pocket casts
Google plus
Instagram
Tumblr
YouTube

Instagram and Google Plus

There are some pretty incredible 3rd party YouTube apps
Goroovster for Google Music

frontieruk

Looks like Thurrott said the 820 will be $99 and the 920 will be $149 on the What The Tech podcast the other day.

Ah the if I get it right or close I look like I have sources, if it's wrong I'll cry like a bitch that my sources screwed me ploy.

Fjolle

So we should expect the full WP8 unveil in October? Probably a couple days before it hits market, right?

Hopefully before.

It would be cool with more than 3 wp8 apps at launch :)

But with microsoft you never know :s

I would love if they showed all the new features sometime between the iPhone unveiling and whenever the iPhone is released. That way they can't complain that Apple steals their ideas, and it might get some people to wait a month and buy a WP8 phone instead.

I dislike him, he's a big girl and blames everyone else when he's wrong.

... Wat?

I don't mind him occasionally their "We just don't comment" does get tiresome but I like how he doesn't mind slamming Microsoft when they need to be. I wouldn't be surprise he got shut out after his vocal complain about the carrier update debacle.

I fully agree with him on many issues with Microsoft. I love Microsoft product but the company seems to lack effective leader and "visionary". What few they have, had all left.

new branding cards rolling out?
6509131_sc.jpg

Is that the usual price of those things? Also, why are they listing music with the gold membership? Are they going to combine them? That would be good in my opinion.

If they smart they would but they are not. Looking at Amazon roll-out, with Prime Membership I get free 2-days shipping on physical product, Amazon movies / movie, music all in the cloud for streaming and download anywhere. I can play my Amazon "stuffs" on most of the devices. Looking at new Kindle, beside the awful U.I., the eco system and value are way better than Microsoft eco.

Amazon announce Fire and it's now up for pre-order and Fire HD ship in 2 weeks. Surface and now Nokia phone have no price / availability / or even what carriers/store will get the devices. Hype already deflating. I already pre-order new Kindle because it's available now for pre-order.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Instagram and Google Plus

There are some pretty incredible 3rd party YouTube apps
Goroovster for Google Music
i assume the google + mobile website works unless google is a bitch and haven't enabled it.

on the iphone i use the browser for a lot of things, if windows phone has similar support for mobile websites then my switch would be extremely easy.

Milchjon

i assume the google + mobile website works unless google is a bitch and haven't enabled it.

on the iphone i use the browser for a lot of things, if windows phone has similar support for mobile websites then my switch would be extremely easy.

They can be dicks when it comes to this. Google Docs works pretty great on my 3 year old iPod Touch as far as I remember, but it's unusable on WP7.

Google+ works ok, but it's not that great as a web app.

kharma45

I like them as an aggregator. They'll "report" the most meaningless bullshit, so for stuff like app updates, they're kinda nice.

Suppose I can give them that lol

Yeah the mobile site seems to work fine on WP, just tried it there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom