• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChanHuk

Banned
While I agree about cloud storage. Tiered data makes it so I don't want to upload/view photos/videos when I'm using cell data.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
While I agree about cloud storage. Tiered data makes it so I don't want to upload/view photos/videos when I'm using cell data.

Nor are the speeds conducive to streaming music, pictures, video at all times. I guess if I lived in a city with LTE speeds, but I'm in a 3g area (1.5-3mpbs) and even then, the network is constantly crapping out (AT&T). Even when I was in Chicago in February, on faux-G, I tried streaming while driving around and we would often hit dead spots where it would have to buffer, totally killing the point of having access to streaming music files.

Plus, when traveling, having onboard media is fantastic.

JaggedSac

If they smart they would but they are not. Looking at Amazon roll-out, with Prime Membership I get free 2-days shipping on physical product, Amazon movies / movie, music all in the cloud for streaming and download anywhere. I can play my Amazon "stuffs" on most of the devices. Looking at new Kindle, beside the awful U.I., the eco system and value are way better than Microsoft eco.

Amazon announce Fire and it's now up for pre-order and Fire HD ship in 2 weeks. Surface and now Nokia phone have no price / availability / or even what carriers/store will get the devices. Hype already deflating. I already pre-order new Kindle because it's available now for pre-order.

Yeah, that Amazon Prime is pretty awesome. They really seem to do stuff that just makes sense. Not sure how good their tablets are, and there will be ads on the lock screen, but they sure are tempting, at least for my S.O.

24.99 is the standard price for 3-month gold.

Dear lord, that is a really terrible way to subscribe to Gold.

Fjolle

Yea. Read somewhere that a Nokia employee had slipped that the hardware was finished, but they had no idea when Microsoft would be done with WP8 :/

MarkusRJR

What're some fun simple games on the marketplace that'll run well on my Lumia 610? So far I've been enjoying Ilomilo a lot, along with Doodle Jump. I just need something to do on my long bus rides to work.

Milchjon

What're some fun simple games on the marketplace that'll run well on my Lumia 610? So far I've been enjoying Ilomilo a lot, along with Doodle Jump. I just need something to do on my long bus rides to work.

Wordament is the best.
Taptitude is a nice collection of classics.
And I've been having a lot of fun with Bye Bye Brains. It's a zombie tower defense game that's very well made.

Ah yeah, seconded.

I'm kind of scared:
Is the Lumia 800's screen glued in or are the innards just clipped into the body? Because I think I can nudge it around with my thumb :-(

If you feel it moving, something might be loose... Just to be safe, stop doing that, and send it in for a check.

Milchjon

How is Nokia's customer service? Because the corner of my phone is a bit dented from a drop about 8 months ago, so I wonder whether they'll try to hold that against me.

Edit: Honestly, I'm disappointed by the build quality of this phone. It looks like the matte finish is starting to peel off in several places too, after less than 10 months.

If only MS had a better backup solution...

teraMEL0S

Belts and Boxes is awesome. Some other really good ones are Mirrors Edge, Civ Rev, Plants Vs. Zombies, and Shoot 1UP.

steelcity

Neo Member
So did anyone read this yesterday? Pretty worrying article..

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/09/where-oh-where-is-windows-phone-8/
I hadn't read this but the thought is exactly what I was thinking. Microsoft has dropped the ball for all of it's partners. The SDK should've been available months ago to all. You know Nokia would've loved to show all of WP8 and put devices in peoples hands but they can't. I hope this doesn't end up delayed or buggy when it releases.

Milchjon

It's to early to tell before the Apple Keynote, but I think MS and Nokia have something great on their hands. Case in point: The biggest Apple freak I know (worse than anyone on GAF) just said that he wants the 920. He says he wants to boykott the iPhone 5 for its design, which, so far, is universally hated among my friends.

Seriously, Nokia and MS have the tech, the design and the situation to make a big splash. And they're about to squander it, from the looks of it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nor are the speeds conducive to streaming music, pictures, video at all times. I guess if I lived in a city with LTE speeds, but I'm in a 3g area (1.5-3mpbs) and even then, the network is constantly crapping out (AT&T). Even when I was in Chicago in February, on faux-G, I tried streaming while driving around and we would often hit dead spots where it would have to buffer, totally killing the point of having access to streaming music files.

Plus, when traveling, having onboard media is fantastic.

That's what offline mode/saving is for! Save some of your Google Music for offline use, and then have the rest of that shizzy in the cloud.

TTOOLL

Unveiling new hardware and not telling when people can buy it is terrible. I wish Nokia had done what Amazon did yesterday and what Apple will do next week. Also, for someone like me who does not live in the US the situation is even worse. Apple will tell you the availability worldwide, that is amazing.

In the end, being able to sell your products properly is as important as developing new things.

Milchjon

Unveiling new hardware and not telling when people can buy it is terrible. I wish Nokia had done what Amazon did yesterday and what Apple will do next week. Also, for someone like me who does not live in the US the situation is even worse. Apple will tell you the availability worldwide, that is amazing.

In the end, being able to sell your products properly is as important as developing new things.

Yep, and this is where Nokia is getting fucked over by MS. I'm absolutely sure it was not their own decision to not reveal the availability. Prices, I could see them waiting for Apple, but in the end, even that wouldn't be all that relevant. I feel bad for Nokia.

Milchjon

Rumored release date for the 920 in Europe: November.

And this appeared on Twitter, who knows how accurate it is:

A2Lsp5zCUAA_z50.png

All I ask is IE10 :/

If WP7.8 gets IE10, that'd make the entire web so beautiful, it hurts. And that would be a good thing!

Also, I think Nokia decided to announce their products early because if they didn't, after Apple announces the iPhone 5, there might be nothing to show. Showing products early, albeit a bit short-sighted, will ensure initial interest... and can also sway some people to stop thinking about the iPhone 5.

Since the Motorola conference was a total disappointment to me, compared to Nokia's, I guess they only really have to worry about Apple. Apple's as big as a competitor's gonna get, though, and... well, it'd be real hard.

Milchjon

That clock/weather tile is an improvement over the old one, but was it too much to use segoe wp?

1. Agreed.
2. Where's the need for it, anyway? Seems completely pointless.
3. The bigger problem for me is that the phone looks completely boring. I wanted the One X design, dammit.

PG2G

I wonder why they would call their midrange device the 8X when the X is the high end on the Android side. The SoC here is slower than the Lumias/Samsung

I guess the Zenith is going to be the X+, which is going to be the name of the quad core coming from HTC this fall

1. Agreed.
2. Where's the need for it, anyway? Seems completely pointless.
3. The bigger problem for me is that the phone looks completely boring. I wanted the One X design, dammit.

Delay judgement till the phones are announced. I wasn't hyped up on the 920 'till the conference and some of the hardware tech that they added to it. HTC's designs have gotten much better than their 'churned out designs' for android a year ago.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It has sd card support, which the One X doesn't, and it'll have a higher ppi than any other wp8 device.

If they put in a big battery like Nokia and Samsung, and a good camera, this could be the phone for me.

PG2G

It has sd card support, which the One X doesn't, and it'll have a higher ppi than any other wp8 device.

If they put in a big battery like Nokia and Samsung, and a good camera, this could be the phone for me.

Come on, I know you're not a mid-range kind of guy :p

Edit: Didn't realize the One X camera was only 8 MP, I thought it was 16 MP like the Titan II. I guess the only thing that makes this device "midrange" is the slower SoC and a smaller screen, which doesn't even matter really.

JaggedSac

Does MS have any events between now and the end of October? Or is a blog post going to announce these so called features we have yet to see from W8?

kazinova

If the past is any indicator there will be a presser on October 10th and a release event on October 29th and the phones will hit November 2nd.

I believe that was what happened with the WP7 launch anyways. Someone can correct me if I'm misremembering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom