• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
I agree on both counts. Troll, I like you man...but that avatar has to go. Take a cute picture of yourself like I did.

You know, I would but there are some posters on here that collect IRL pics of people that post here. There was this one poster that had a folder for each poster and their IRL pic that they used as an avatar.

So... yeah.

Milchjon

Are you currently satisfied with your phone?

What do you want to get with your next phone?

The first one is hard to answer. I absolutely adore it, but there are many flaws that add up (Instagram, the facebook app, screenshots, semi-awesome camera, build quality, battery life...). I'd say it's comparable to the Dreamcast, I love it and won't ever sell it, but as soon as I can afford the 920, I'll switch in a heartbeat.

As for what I want from my next phone, I'd say an improved next iteration of the 800 is all I'm waiting for, and it seems that the 920 is just that (apart from the cyan). I'm not sure there's much the iPhone or Google can offer to convince me otherwise.

The first one is hard to answer. I absolutely adore it, but there are many flaws that add up (Instagram, the facebook app, screenshots, semi-awesome camera, build quality, battery life...). I'd say it's comparable to the Dreamcast, I love it and won't ever sell it, but as soon as I can afford the 920, I'll switch in a heartbeat.

As for what I want from my next phone, I'd say an improved next iteration of the 800 is all I'm waiting for, and it seems that the 920 is just that (apart from the cyan). I'm not sure there's much the iPhone or Google can offer to convince me otherwise.

I suppose you could wait for a little while, huh? At least it doesn't crash and freeze, like how my old phone did while trying to browse more than three tabs of medium-sized pages, that I can safely do so with my 900, which has the same CPU and RAM as yours.

Yeah, but IPS displays aren't perfect either. We'll see how these turn out.

If it's anything like the iPhone 4S screen, you won't be disappointed. In fact, last I checked, it has slightly higher PPI than it, and has more screen real estate. Pretty much the only bad thing the IPS screen on the 4S is the inability to have true blacks.

maeh2k

The new start screen is growing on me, as long as it's nicely set up.

bits-nokia920-articleInline.jpg

I like that they're improving the integration of Maps and Drive.

Do we know in what form exactly Nokia's location apps will reach the regular Windows Phone 8? Is it just Maps, or also Drive? What about the others?

Judging by the UI on the screenshots of Maps/Drive, the one icon (like a grid of squares) looks like they might handle the location apps similar to the camera lenses (though probably not extensible by 3rd party apps, although that would be nice).

Puremotion HD Plus is a way of saying 60hz refresh rate with 332 PPI? How does that compare to the best phones out right now?

Like someone already wrote, it's the best screen right now. Slightly brighter than iPhone 4S, slightly higher PPI (though there are other phones that have like 34X PPI), and of course 60 Hz (no idea what other devices have here, but at least there isn't a faster one).

However, that may not be all there is to Puremotion HD Plus. They talked about dynamically adjusting the displayed content depending on brightness (in the sun). Can't remember the exact wording, but it went beyong simply adjusting brightness. Seemed to me like there was something a lot more complex going on on the software side (like chainging colors for higher contrast).

Milchjon

Yeah, the display stuff is intriguing. Do other phones dynamically adapt contrast and colors? because that's what it sounded like with the 920.

I suppose you could wait for a little while, huh? At least it doesn't crash and freeze, like how my old phone did while trying to browse more than three tabs of medium-sized pages, that I can safely do so with my 900, which has the same CPU and RAM as yours.

Oh, absolutely. No need to rush things.

maeh2k said:
However, that may not be all there is to Puremotion HD Plus. They talked about dynamically adjusting the displayed content depending on brightness (in the sun). Can't remember the exact wording, but it went beyong simply adjusting brightness. Seemed to me like there was something a lot more complex going on on the software side (like chainging colors for higher contrast).

They are changing the screen's display colour values to make it easier to read under bright sunlight. Think of it as how many GBA games had display colours optimized for poor screen lightining, in reverse.

rozay

Banned
If it's anything like the iPhone 4S screen, you won't be disappointed. In fact, last I checked, it has slightly higher PPI than it, and has more screen real estate. Pretty much the only bad thing the IPS screen on the 4S is the inability to have true blacks.
The tech features/specs of this screen are great, I just don't feel it's appropriate to say "don't worry about the screen" until we know who the vendor is. Ghosting/image retention would look terrible on WP8.

More about the puremotion tech: http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/09/06/the-smartphone-display-redefined-puremotion-hd/

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been many leaks regarding the technical specs of the iPhone5. I'm really curious to see how it compares. Not that I'm going to switch, just curious.

You know, I would but there are some posters on here that collect IRL pics of people that post here. There was this one poster that had a folder for each poster and their IRL pic that they used as an avatar.

So... yeah.

Wait you don't looks like your avatar?! Seriously though, your avatar pic is a things of nightmares.

On a side note, I can't seem to find Nokia Music in the marketplace is that Europe only? I love Nokia Drive, although it's annoying that it beep every times I go over speed limit. The map is current unlike Bing, there's a new on ramp, and stupid Bing map still doesn't know it's there and keep wanting me to take the old long way to freeway yet it show up perfectly on Nokia drive. The turn by turn is superior. I hope next iteration, the UI is more "metro".

dLMN8R

Twitter and FB notifications on the start screen are new, right? And what's the icon in the middle?

DSC02987.jpg

Microsoft already announced at that event 1-2 months ago that the lock screen notifications are configurable and extensible with third party apps like they are on Windows 8.

Guys! Hey guys!

Sony in talks over Windows Phone 8

Sony has traditionally prioritised the Android OS for its Xperia portfolio, but expectations are high for Microsoft’s forthcoming Windows Phone 8 platform. When asked if future Sony Mobile devices could run on the platform, Perron said: ‘Sony’s strategy is one of openness. Microsoft is a Sony partner with the likes of our VAIO laptops and it’s integrated onto our tablets. As far as Xperia smartphones go, Android remains the preferred partner, although Sony is not a single partner company. We are currently investigating with the likes of Microsoft the possibility of diversifying our product strategy.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/22460/Sony_in_talks_over_Windows_Phone_8.aspx

There's still a chance!

f0lken

bedlamite

Microsoft already announced at that event 1-2 months ago that the lock screen notifications are configurable and extensible with third party apps like they are on Windows 8.
Did not know this, I suppose the lock screen notifications are close as we're getting to a true notification center. That works well enough for me, I'm always missing my Whatsapp messages (but I guess that's also because Whatsapp is perpetually broken on WP7)

PG2G

Did not know this, I suppose the lock screen notifications are close as we're getting to a true notification center. That works well enough for me, I'm always missing my Whatsapp messages (but I guess that's also because Whatsapp is perpetually broken on WP7)

Pretty sure they didn't, it did come out in some WPCentral rumors and the leaked SDK tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom