• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Did not know this, I suppose the lock screen notifications are close as we're getting to a true notification center. That works well enough for me, I'm always missing my Whatsapp messages (but I guess that's also because Whatsapp is perpetually broken on WP7)

People always say this, but it works almost perfectly for me. It's maybe the only app where notifications aren't 15 minutes behind.

Do I have iron hands or something? I've noticed that I can take night mode shots with much blur without looking for something to hold it steady. Even with the supposedly poor camera that the 900 has.

I have to say Android is looking more appealing now than ever.

We should thank Amazon for that.

Finally a company with a clear vision is in control of the platform.

i would not include amazons offerings with android. is is based on android technology, but it so different that I would say it is not "android" anymore.

venne

Damian Dinning?@PhoneDaz
Received lots of questions this week re#PureView#808 vs #920. Going to need to do this over a number of tweets, here goes…

1. in situations where camera movement is not an issue #808 will provide more detailed images with less noise due to oversampling…

1….where camera movement is evident for either stills (typically low light) or videos #920 will be better due to OIS

2. In low light if devices are handheld and used in auto #920 will be better due to OIS – no blur and brighter images.

2….if #808 is used in night mode or manual ISO allowing speeds to 2.7secs and supported it will provide better images due to oversampling

3. In video, for most people, due to OIS you’ll get smoother looking videos with #920

3. #808 however in video does provide lossless zoom oversampling due to high res sensor

4. in terms of audio recording, the difference is mono in the #920 vs #808 which is stereo.

5. #808 due to high res sensor has lossless zoom in stills and as already mentioned also in video.

6. #920 thanks to the new capabilities of the#WP8platform can use ‘lens’ apps. This allows greater extension of the camera capabilities

6….you’ll see this at launch with some cool lenses from#Nokiasuch as Smart Shoot and Cinemagraph, wih more to come in the future

I think that covers the main differences people are interested in. Note: These are based on launch SW and are intended as a general summary

Pretty interesting.

I thought the big deal was the dynamic range. Mono versus stereo doesn't change that.

Pretty much, yeah. Crisp, rich audio is better than mediocre stereo audio, even if it's just mono. (I actually tried to record off headphones to test out my 900's mic, and I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of music detail recorded, even when it's just mono.)

Milchjon

I love that you basically won't need ANY cables for the 920. The combination of Bluetooth, NFC, wireless sync, cloud storage, wireless charging and cellular is still peerless, right? Would love to see what it would look like if they even removed the headphone jack and micro USB.

Maybe they could even try to take that angle on marketing. Unconditionally Unbound. The first smartphone that fully delivers on the promis of wireless. Something along these lines (A bit more elegant and sexy, of course).

Totakeke

Sadly it'll still be tons better than the audio recording in most smartphones out there. Competition man, how does it work? If the Lumia 920 doesn't sell because of whatever reasons, other OEMs will probably never have to care anything other than improving the usual spec sheet numbers. Nokia just reminded everyone there's still tons of room of improvement for typical smartphone hardware that everyone is so used to. Heck, even Apple hasn't done much on the hardware side aside from much better designs and retina display.

thirty

Banned
phone with 808's sensor with 920's floating lens coming in spring.

900 is now $260 on eBay new. buy this now, wait for the 920/820/ativ/htc, or wait for the new pureview in spring? I hate these decisions. oh, typing from my HD7 bought day one and it's still going strong.

this_guy

So I tried Windows phone 7 for 6 months with the HTC Radar 4g, but went back to Android and picked up the HTC EVO LTE (One X for Sprint). I'm hoping Windows 8 does well enough to be a viable 3rd competitor. Here are things I hope to see in Windows phone 8:

Faster start up times for third party apps. I always hear how fast Windows phone 7 is, but to me that's not true. It's smooth, but I wouldn't call it fast.

More developers getting on board. I don't care hearing about 100k apps in the marketplace, but I do want my banking apps and Yahoo fantasy football app. Going to the website is not as convenient.

Better notifications. I hate getting a notification, and if I don't have a live tile for the particular app, I have no idea what the notification is for. This looks like it has been fixed in Windows phone 8 - there's notifications on the lock screen, and it looks like phones can now have an led light for notifications.

As long as these things happen I'm open to getting Windows phone 8 for my next phone. Specs have caught up (720 screen resolution, Qualcomm S4 Krait processor, etc) and are good enough.

Did not know this, I suppose the lock screen notifications are close as we're getting to a true notification center. That works well enough for me, I'm always missing my Whatsapp messages (but I guess that's also because Whatsapp is perpetually broken on WP7)

Yeah, Windows 8 doesn't have a notification center, so don't except one on WP. Notifications on W8 and WP8 appear to be exactly the same: Toast, live tile, and you can set lock screen notifications.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The reaction to Nokia's announcements in the German mainstream press is pretty harsh. This really is an uphill battle...

so it should be really. They've yet to actual release a phone that competes with the iPhone/S3 and they've been on a downward trend for years now so there's no free pass.

If the iPhone 5 does something so incredible it makes the 920 look outdated before release they're going to be in real trouble. They need to be able to compete for at least a year.

thirty

Banned
i have the feeling nokia is holding back on a true wp8 pureview for after the iphone5 announcement/release. guess those rumors of a true pureview in spring were legit.

PG2G

If the iPhone 5 does something so incredible it makes the 920 look outdated before release they're going to be in real trouble. They need to be able to compete for at least a year.

I guess we're screwed, it has an extra row of icons on the home screen.

Milchjon

i have the feeling nokia is holding back on a true wp8 pureview for after the iphone5 announcement/release. guess those rumors of a true pureview in spring were legit.

What would they have to gain from that? They can't just say "wait for our next phone" until they're bankrupt.

thirty

Banned
you ugly beast, i will wait for you

image34.png

Milchjon

I guess we're screwed, it has an extra row of icons on the home screen.

I'm mainly waiting for all the great names they'll give those design changes. I'm ready for the Dichromatic Backside Experience, the Cinema Display and the Homescreen +1.

rozay

Banned
phone with 808's sensor with 920's floating lens coming in spring.

900 is now $260 on eBay new. buy this now, wait for the 920/820/ativ/htc, or wait for the new pureview in spring? I hate these decisions. oh, typing from my HD7 bought day one and it's still going strong.
wait for the next smoked by windows phone event

Totakeke

:lol

Seriously, you keep hoping for more, like the Pureview Pro and Pureview OIS combined, but they haven't even invented it yet. Moving a bigger size sensor and have it synchronized enough to have minimal shake will take another mechanical engineering feat. Even if they eventually manage to do it, it won't be a mainstream phone by any stretch.

PG2G

I wonder when Microsoft will open things up to NVIDIA and ST-Ericcson. Hopefully in the spring update so our platform gets Tegra 4 pretty much the same time as Android.

Gotta do our best not to think about what's around the corner lol

rozay

Banned
Is anyone here a lumia 900 owner who had a purple tinted screen at low brightness? Even if not, did anyone notice the brightness range change with recent updates after june? (as in, it no longer can get as dim as it used to)

I'm trying to figure out how nokia claims it fixed that with a software update when everything I've read about the issue on nokia's symbian phones and android phones with AMOLED screens indicates it's a hardware issue relating to the green subpixels/pixels.

thirty

Banned
what an uphill battle. chef jamie oliver's show food nation was sponsored by windows phone a season or two ago, he used bing on his phone in the show, and just now jamie oliver is posting about his new favorite gadget, the bubblescope for his iphone.

399726_10151070800424807_144037537_n.jpg

maeh2k

The reaction to Nokia's announcements in the German mainstream press is pretty harsh. This really is an uphill battle...

I just read the article on spiegel.de and that was more of an objective summary of the announcements. don't know if they did an article on the controversy.
However, they comments to the article were rather brutal with regards to Windows Phone.

MarkusRJR

Oh man Ilomilo is my GOTF. So damn cute and fun.

Also, do software updates go through carriers or can I just use the Zune software whenever they go up? I'm pumped for 7.8. Well, as long as it doesn't slow my phone down.

maeh2k

Oh man Ilomilo is my GOTF. So damn cute and fun.

Also, do software updates go through carriers or can I just use the Zune software whenever they go up? I'm pumped for 7.8. Well, as long as it doesn't slow my phone down.

The updates are rolled out gradually and only after carriers have signed off on them. However there are some ways to circumvent that and get updates earlier. For me the easiest method to do that has never worked, so I just waited a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom