• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It looks like tango rolled out to all phones on at&t now, even the non-marquee ones. My brother's Focus Flash got the update.

MarkusRJR

Oh okay, I'd probably get 7.8 pretty soon then (carrier is speedy with updates usually), but I was also thinking of upgrading to a WP8 device (unlocked) a year or two from now. I'm on a budget phone carrier so I they'd probably still have WP7 devices around then. I was a bit curious how that would work then. Would the just update never come?

I guess we're screwed, it has an extra row of icons on the home screen.

Yeah, that will be the only difference. Also, who's 'we'?

Blows my mind how someone can't like a product without trolling something else. I don't typically see this kind of childish trolling of non-Apple products in Apple threads, so why is there always a high level of Apple trolling in non-Apple product threads? Really, the insecurity, hate, and passive aggressiveness isn't needed. I like my Windows phone, but can also acknowledge the strengths and weakness of each platform, and also that the next iPhone will in all likelihood by a damn good phone and a significant update.

venne

Blows my mind how someone can't like a product without trolling something else. I don't typically see this kind of childish trolling of non-Apple products in Apple threads, so why is there always a high level of Apple trolling in non-Apple product threads? Really, the insecurity, hate, and passive aggressiveness isn't needed. I like my Windows phone, but can also acknowledge the strengths and weakness of each platform, and also that the next iPhone will in all likelihood by a damn good phone and a significant update.

Get over yourself.

PG2G

Would love to see the rumors or leaks that suggest that the next iPhone is going to be a significant update

PG2G

Same. Did they announce any changes about handling updates for WP8+?

From Thurott's "book"

Software updates – our entire ecosystem has been challenged here. Getting new sw out a challenge. Working with partners to do this better. Path that puts the consumer first. Found it with WP8: First step is, all sw updates will be delivered over the air. (Currently all basically required Zune PC software and PC sync.) MS will support every device with updates for at least 18 months from the launch of that device. And third, MS will have a program where “registered enthusiasts” can get early access to updates before any broad consumer push.

lingiii

Banned
I may be missing something, but is the onboard podcasts support total garbage?

I have no idea how these subscriptions work! I said "sync all" because I don't want the phone auto-deleting anything, but then it starts downloading 300 episodes! Is there no way to mark episodes as played so they won't download? I just want to get all episodes from today forward, and I'll take care of manually deleting them after I listen to them. Is there any way to achieve this?

Right now I've got it set to "keep 1", but then that seems to force it to ALWAYS have 1 episode! I can't delete that one after I listen it because then it just starts downloading the previous one. Sucks because I have a bunch of subscriptions, and I don't want a bunch of already-heard episodes taking up room. Totally frustrating.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, anyone got an app recommendation so I can do an end-around and avoid the Zune version entirely?

Would love to see the rumors or leaks that suggest that the next iPhone is going to be a significant update

Why don't you wait, till you know, the actual thing is actually shown and announced? Typically 'rumors' reveal very little if anything of significance about upcoming Apple products. The only thing that has been leaked is casing. Nothing about internal hardware or software features is known. Basing the merits of the next iPhone on 'rumors and leaks' and coming to conclusions is ludicrous.

T-Mobile sucks. =(

The ativ isn't too bad looking though.

T-Mobile really is the worst. I wonder how much they'll jack up the Ativ price. Their 16GB S3 costs $30 more than Sprint's 32GB S3. No flagships have been released since the S3, so I wonder if they have a new pricing model or something.

PG2G

Why don't you wait, till you know, the actual thing is actually shown and announced? Typically 'rumors' reveal very little if anything of significance about upcoming Apple products. The only thing that has been leaked is casing. Nothing about internal hardware or software features is known. Basing the merits of the next iPhone on 'rumors and leaks' and coming to conclusions is ludicrous.

So iOS6 hasn't already been unveiled?

T-Mobile really is the worst. I wonder how much they'll jack up the Ativ price. Their 16GB S3 costs $30 more than Sprint's 32GB S3. No flagships have been released since the S3, so I wonder if they have a new pricing model or something.

in the long run, don't you save money with T-Mobile?

plus, Unlimited Data.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
T-Mobile sucks. =(

The ativ isn't too bad looking though.

They are offering the One S for free right now. That's not a bad deal.

In general though they haven't been good phone wise in terms of variety or pricing for years now. They have to win out on cheaper plans or else they'd be fail boat. Not that they aren't already.

I may be missing something, but is the onboard podcasts support total garbage?

I have no idea how these subscriptions work! I said "sync all" because I don't want the phone auto-deleting anything, but then it starts downloading 300 episodes! Is there no way to mark episodes as played so they won't download? I just want to get all episodes from today forward, and I'll take care of manually deleting them after I listen to them. Is there any way to achieve this?

Right now I've got it set to "keep 1", but then that seems to force it to ALWAYS have 1 episode! I can't delete that one after I listen it because then it just starts downloading the previous one. Sucks because I have a bunch of subscriptions, and I don't want a bunch of already-heard episodes taking up room. Totally frustrating.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, anyone got an app recommendation so I can do an end-around and avoid the Zune version entirely?
Are you sync with Zune? If you are right click and you can mark them as listened. You can do the same on the phone. I usually just down load 3 latest one and if I somehow manage to listen to all the podcasts I subscribe to then I just browse and download the one I like. The build in work just fine for me but I occasionally use Podcasts! App.

ChanHuk

Banned
The more I use my Lumia 900, the more I'm enjoying it. Too bad the apps store is still holding it back. I definitely enjoy this more than I enjoyed the S3 I was playing around with.

I've noticed that "MORE WINDOWS PHONE 7.8 FEATURES" is racking up comments like no tomorrow once the admin left that note. Weird, but reassuring that we've got a vocal fanbase.

thirty

Banned
i'm still hoping the 920 finds its way to t-mobile. the 820 spec sheet doesn't have a 1700 gsm band listed but it's rumored to hit t-mobile, hopefully the 920 makes it to all carriers.

kehs

Banned

In general though they haven't been good phone wise in terms of variety or pricing for years now. They have to win out on cheaper plans or else they'd be fail boat. Not that they aren't already.
Yea but android.

I'd probably be buying the pone unlocked though. Usually just get the free phones from tmo and sell em.

rozay

Banned

I hope they get some more people to bite once they flip the switch on HSPDA for more 1900mhz towers. You'll be able to get good speeds with all the at&t windows phones (or any GSM windows phone, for that matter) on their network once that happens.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
vlad at the verge wants the 920 with android. And he wrote an article on it. Port begging should be a bannable offense in tech journalism.

Milchjon

vlad at the verge wants the 920 with android. And he wrote an article on it. Port begging should be a bannable offense in tech journalism.

A pretty pathetic piece, honestly. The 920 and WP8 are a perfect marriage from a design standpoint IMO. His argument is basically "Android phones suck, but I want Android, so give me Android on a 920". Hrrrrrmm

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Meanwhile, Tom Warren tweeted that he wants a 920 with ios apps and "the functions of android". And that's the MS guy at the Verge.

Edit: in the link above I found this gem:
All in all, we're highly impressed by what Nokia has put together here, though the N9 does prompt us to ask why the company has opted against making MeeGo its long-term smartphone OS of choice.

Journalists should run companies, I always say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom