• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
once Facebook bought them it was just a matter of time. once released, I can't think of any mainstream app that isn't on the WP platform, or at least a 3rd party equivalent of it.

rozay

Banned
Meanwhile, Tom Warren tweeted that he wants a 920 with ios apps and "the functions of android". And that's the MS guy at the Verge.

Edit: in the link above I found this gem:

Journalists should run companies, I always say.
their implementation of Harmattan on top of MeeGo looked great and felt like no other OS I've used, wish it had a chance to shine before Elop cut its limbs off. I think 2011 was too late for it to make an impact though, otherwise it might have had an actual chance.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played some of Adera on Windows 8. Pretty fun puzzle game. The game will be coming to Windows Phone as well with the ability to continue your game on phone, tablet or PC. It's awesome that we will be seeing much more of this. If more developer get on board this could be really awesome.

kehs

Banned
Meanwhile, Tom Warren tweeted that he wants a 920 with ios apps and "the functions of android". And that's the MS guy at the Verge.

Edit: in the link above I found this gem:

Journalists should run companies, I always say.

I still think Nokia could have made great strides with Meego is they stuck to it. Meego on the N9 with it's outdated specs ran great and it had an awesome UI.

PG2G

Am I the only person in the world that has no interest what so ever in Instagram or Pinterest?

Have you ever been on Instagram? It is essentially Facebook but with photos only. It sounds kind of useless, but people use it a lot. Without it, you're a little out of the loop

Milchjon

City Lens is pretty smooth and seems to work well. I don't see how it's a big improvement over Wikitude, though.

I think Instagram seems pointless until you actually try it.

Troll

Banned
Have you ever been on Instagram? It is essentially Facebook but with photos only. It sounds kind of useless, but people use it a lot. Without it, you're a little out of the loop

Yes, I've tried it. Yes, I have a profile. Yes, I hate it.

I mean, I can totally understand why it's important to the ecosystem, don't get me wrong. I just have no interest in it.

Probably not. I don't care about Pinterest myself. But Instagram is kinda awesome. I think it's a perfect example of an app, a few functions, done well and made fun.

Nokia on City Lens, including some differences between current and future WP8 versions.

Hadn't tried it before, downloading now.

I am the opposite, I find instagram to be totally useless, but find Pinterest to be at least interesting. I can browse through all the pictures and often time find cool stuff I would never seen other wise.

snap0212

I wish it was Facebook with just photos but people tend to destroy their pictures by applying crappy filters. Hope this filter-thing is just a fad that goes away. :(

I still think Nokia could have made great strides with Meego is they stuck to it. Meego on the N9 with it's outdated specs ran great and it had an awesome UI.

But they would run into the same problem that other mobile OS face that is not iOS or Android , the lack of apps or at least at decent time frame. With Windows Phone, they at least have some eco system. One could argue they should just gone with Android, but they would be just like Moto, HTC or Sony, nice phones that no one buy because everybody is going for either Galaxy S or Nexus.

kehs

Banned
But they would run into the same problem that other mobile OS face that is not iOS or Android , the lack of apps or at least at decent time frame. With Windows Phone, they at least have some eco system. One could argue they should just gone with Android, but they would be just like Moto, HTC or Sony, nice phones that no one buy because everybody is going for either Galaxy S or Nexus.

Since Nokia is/was the primary curator they would have been in position closer to Google and the Nexus rather than OEMs. Really I'm just jelly I don't have an N9. =(

SMH Verge:

Phew

Internet journalism is so awesome.

Update 2: We're hearing from sources familiar with the situation that Instagram is not investing its own resources into the development of a potential Instagram app. This doesn't rule out the app entirely. Microsoft built its own Twitter and Facebook apps, ones that the company regularly updates. Of course, Microsoft would require Instagram's permission to publish images to the service, since only unofficial Instagram viewers currently exist outside of the company's own apps without an explicit partnership.

Post first, ask later (if ever).

Moar Nokia exclusive apps.

Remember when part of the attraction to Windows Phone was there was basically no fragmentation? :/

Super bitter about that ESPN Fantasy Football app.

Anyone know what the US carriers typically charge to upgrade your phone prior to your 2-year contract being up?

Moar Nokia exclusive apps.

Remember when part of the attraction to Windows Phone was there was basically no fragmentation? :/

Super bitter about that ESPN Fantasy Football app.

Anyone know what the US carriers typically charge to upgrade your phone prior to your 2-year contract being up?

They're timed-exclusives, because Nokia apparently payed for the development. ESPN is going to be available for everyone in May 2013 (not kidding).

I like the verge simply because they are a group of writers with, typically, a staunch opinion. For the most part, they keep up to date with technology and report quickly on news. They also have some great editorials [scamworld was really really interesting]. While I disagree with a lot of their assertments, conclusions, and many times it appears to me that they disregard tech without ever actually using it, they are a valuable publication to look at.

Plus, their website is really pretty.

Milchjon

I like the verge simply because they are a group of writers with, typically, a staunch opinion. For the most part, they keep up to date with technology and report quickly on news. They also have some great editorials [scamworld was really really interesting]. While I disagree with a lot of their assertments, conclusions, and many times it appears to me that they disregard tech without ever actually using it, they are a valuable publication to look at.

Plus, their website is really pretty.

While I agree on all of those (their liveblogs are great too), they just piss me off way too often.

I just wanted Instagram, and they gave me hope. Never give me hope and disappoint me, or I'll hate you.

But in the end, I'll be too weak to boycot them.

I read the Verge mostly for their editorials and live blogs. When it comes to news, they're like every other blog with "sources".

The internet journalism cycle on this one is nice:

Verge: Instagram is coming to Windows Phone
Tech Radar: Instagram on the way to Windows Phone, says report
WPCentral: Instagram confirmed to be heading for Windows Phone? Of course it is.
WMPU: Instagram Coming To Windows Phone Later This Year?
Neowin: Instagram finally coming to Windows Phone?
Verge: Instagram is coming to Windows Phone (updated)

I love the second update. "We totally got this wrong, but it doesn't mean we're wrong!"

arstechnica and anandtech are my favorites! Reading Anand's breakdown of SSD technology years ago was fascinating. It really made me want to go work on SSD hardware technology. At that time I was also taking a course in hardware testing/verification, so it would have been really interesting to try to test SSDs for hardware faults.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
TopolskyLiveTiles.jpg

....if only some company would think of that. I can't wait until Apple invents it, coins it with a novel name, and runs ads showing everyone how awesome the feature is.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
before announcement

why would you want [feature]?

after announcement

[feature] is the best thing ever.

2 years later

Apple invented [feature]

smr00

Banned
So is there a date/price/service providers for the Lumia? Been using this blackberry for about 5 years and i think it's time to upgrade.

thirty

Banned
820 in yellow looks almost as slick as the 920. i'd be OK with the 820 if that's the only Nokia WP8 phone T-Mobile got this year.

K9Dcg.jpg

AnkitT

After using android for a couple of days, I don't think I wanna switch to it anytime soon. Probably will be sticking with the lumia 800 for now. Hopefully nokia care fixes my music hangup issue and all will be well.

ChanHuk

Banned
After using android for a couple of days, I don't think I wanna switch to it anytime soon. Probably will be sticking with the lumia 800 for now. Hopefully nokia care fixes my music hangup issue and all will be well.

Android is a different beast all together. iOS and WP are comparable in terms of use. Android is just about customization that fucks everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom