• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

They're timed-exclusives, because Nokia apparently payed for the development. ESPN is going to be available for everyone in May 2013 (not kidding).
Perfect, just in time for the Football season to be well over with!

I understand why it happens, it's just really frustrating. I now feel like I need my next WP to be a Nokia regardless of if that device is the one I want just to make sure I don't get screwed out of apps.

Watch it happen. Media immediately declares it the greatest thing ever, and an absolutely new feature to any OS (phone, tablet, or PC).

Fjolle

Internet journalism is so awesome.

Post first, ask later (if ever).

Well. I could have "confirmed" that either MS or Nokia are funding an instagram app. Seems logical when they've already made Facebook, Twitter, Cnn, ESPN, Goal, Youtube and Last.fm.

Milchjon

Some more info on the development delays of WP8:

Delays and bugs during testing have pushed back the launch, and associated devices, by weeks. We're told that HTC in particular has had a tough time testing one of its Windows Phone 8 devices, a process that has impacted its ability to announce handsets as early as Samsung and Nokia. Microsoft has been working closely with US carriers to ensure testing times are reduced. In some cases carriers may ship devices without any of the usual customizations, to reduce test times and ensure a November launch schedule remains likely. The tight schedule means that any delays in final carrier testing will impact the availability dates of Windows Phone 8 devices.

rozay

Banned
You know, I have to say the 900 is going to be supported better than a lot of android phones. That's quite a bit of support for a platform going EOL at the end of the year.

What kind of voodoo magic are they doing for bluetooth file transfer? Maybe I will be getting a lumia after all...except
are you guys ready for the smartphone beta test? ;)

GJS

Lumia 920 is temporarily exclusive to the new EverythingEverywhere network brand that just launched in the UK.

I wonder if people will be able to use T-mobile/Orange history to get it cheap via EE, or if everyone will need new accounts for EverythingEverywhere deals.

rozay

Banned
Lumia 920 is temporarily exclusive to the new EverythingEverywhere network brand that just launched in the UK.

I wonder if people will be able to use T-mobile/Orange history to get it cheap via EE, or if everyone will need new accounts for EverythingEverywhere deals.
Is this akin to being forced off of older plans for the 920? That's not good.

GJS

Is this akin to being forced off of older plans for the 920? That's not good.

Not sure.

Everything is being put onto the new Everything Everywhere 21mbps 3G network, so people will be either a T-mobile or Orange Tariff customer on the EE network.

But all T-mobile and Orange retail stores are being re-branded to EE, so most new customers are probably going to be EE customers on the EE network with new tariffs.

"When EE launches, we'll make it easy and straightforward for eligible Orange and T-Mobile customers to move to EE"
Looking around it seem they might do some select movement of customers over to EE.

Troll

Banned
How do you guys like Pocketnow? I don't think I have been to their site before, only watched some videos.

They have a dude on the WP coverage that is pretty good. He is sort of weird, I noticed that on his live tiles he has pictures of models and stuff. It just came off as kind of creepy.

PG2G

How do you guys like Pocketnow? I don't think I have been to their site before, only watched some videos.

I get annoyed by their editorials. Also, they seem slower than most of the other blogs. For WP news I just follow WMPoweruser, WPCentral, and The Verge.

good good. I'm never buying a pentile screen again. absolute garbage.

gCiXd.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So it's essentially SAMOLED+. The Nokia page mentions AMOLED and RGB stripe.

Don't worry, Van! It's not pentile, it's just the shitty pixel density!

Yeah, that's probably it, the low resolution. Take a look at the time and the marketplace icon. Definitely some funny business going on there.

Edit: you know what, I have a samoled+ phone with that same resolution and pixel density and it doesn't look so pentile-ish. Maybe its the picture, but that time up top looks a lot like my old Focus.

kn1ves24

So I'm really liking the 920. November is going to be a long wait.

What is everyone's guess on a price with a new contract or a contract renewal?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thurrott said $150 for the 920, $99 for the 820

So brought at that price. Since I'm thinking of jumping to wp, can someone give me a quick run down of pros and cons? Or point me to an article? If anyone has made the leap from android to wp, would be interested in what you have to say. Thanks guys.

Blackhead

Redarse
Mmm... I can't wait to see WP8 running on 'retina-class' displays of the Lumia 920 and the Samsung Ativ. WP is a text heavy OS and crisp text is going to mean so much here than it did for the iPhone and Galaxy. You WP7 guys making the leap who've been on the platform for months (years?) are going to happily take back any flippant comment made about high resolution screens ;)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What do you think pros and cons are?

Pros: hubs that integrate functionality, built in functions that negate the need to jump from app to app, live tiles that give you info at a glance, and solid, reliable performance from all devices.

Cons: third party apps shortage compared to competitors, ditto for voice commands.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Pros: hubs that integrate functionality, built in functions that negate the need to jump from app to app, live tiles that give you info at a glance, and solid, reliable performance from all devices.

Cons: third party apps shortage compared to competitors, ditto for voice commands.

Thanks! Apps easy to purchase? Easy to move from phone to phone without hassle?

Klocker

I love the 920 but my biggest concern is the weight... it is actually heavier than the Titan. The Ativ is so much lighter. Samsung always does a good job of making it light but not too cheap...

I use my phone with one hand all the time and weight is an issue for me for spinning it in my hand easily and not getting tired reading.

will have to decide in thee store. Saved an upgrade for this year hoping for something like this. :)

RM8

I'm in the market for a new phone, would you guys recommend buying a Nokia Lumia 800 or 900 right now? I think they may become cheaper soon with the 820 and 920 releasing. And, do you think 800/900 will be supported some years from now? I'm liking what I'm seeing on the Marketplace, but if from now on all apps are developed for WP8 then that'd suck. Seems there's plenty of cool looking games on WP and I'm really curious about the OS.

EDIT: Also, would a Lumia 610 be really bad and outdated? I found one for real cheap. But ugh, those 8GB and ugly-ish looks.

I love the 920 but my biggest concern is the weight... it is actually heavier than the Titan. The Ativ is so much lighter. Samsung always does a good job of making it light but not too cheap...

I use my phone with one hand all the time and weight is an issue for me for spinning it in my hand easily and not getting tired reading.

will have to decide in thee store. Saved an upgrade for this year hoping for something like this. :)

So was mine. I've been messing around with a prototype for a while, and I'm no longer concerned. If that's a big concern though, it's always a good idea to check something out in person with big purchases like these.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Crimson Dragon is pretty sweet, and at .99 cents you can't go wrong.

I wonder how WP7 games will scale with the HD screens.

Fjolle

So was mine. I've been messing around with a prototype for a while, and I'm no longer concerned. If that's a big concern though, it's always a good idea to check something out in person with big purchases like these.

Stop playing around and finish WP8! :p

Yeah my concern with the 920 would be that it just looks bulky. Upon actually comparing specs though, it's pretty close to the Titan. (0.8mm thicker)

It is 25 grams heavier though, I'd have to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom