• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed something strange going on with my game downloads. One of the downloads restarted itself after installing completely without any error messages. Hmm...

Milchjon

I'm in the market for a new phone, would you guys recommend buying a Nokia Lumia 800 or 900 right now? I think they may become cheaper soon with the 820 and 920 releasing. And, do you think 800/900 will be supported some years from now? I'm liking what I'm seeing on the Marketplace, but if from now on all apps are developed for WP8 then that'd suck. Seems there's plenty of cool looking games on WP and I'm really curious about the OS.

EDIT: Also, would a Lumia 610 be really bad and outdated? I found one for real cheap. But ugh, those 8GB and ugly-ish looks.

610 is a no go. It uses the gimped version of WP7 with 256 MB RAM. Some Apps don't even run on it. Don't do it. If you absolutely have to get a phone right now and want to go as cheap as possible with Nokia and WP7, take a look at the 710.

The 800/900 are beautiful, great phones, but it's hard to recommend them at this point. Nokia is doing their best to support them, but you'll miss out on a lot. I'd wait for the 920/820.

But you seem to be on a budget, so if you can live with those limitations, go ahead. Their prices seem to be falling to a point where you probably won't find a better experience anywhere else. Maybe try them at a store. Also, 800>900, IMO.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm in the market for a new phone, would you guys recommend buying a Nokia Lumia 800 or 900 right now? I think they may become cheaper soon with the 820 and 920 releasing. And, do you think 800/900 will be supported some years from now? I'm liking what I'm seeing on the Marketplace, but if from now on all apps are developed for WP8 then that'd suck. Seems there's plenty of cool looking games on WP and I'm really curious about the OS.

EDIT: Also, would a Lumia 610 be really bad and outdated? I found one for real cheap. But ugh, those 8GB and ugly-ish looks.

The 900 will get WP7.8 which doesn't mean much. I'm probably gonna offload my 900 for cheap when the new iPhone is released, I'll keep you updated.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Did they pull it from the marketplace? it doesn't show up in search, and a link I found draws found a blank page.

Edit: nevermind, I got it.

Cipherr

TopolskyLiveTiles.jpg

....if only some company would think of that. I can't wait until Apple invents it, coins it with a novel name, and runs ads showing everyone how awesome the feature is.

Damn Topolsky.... There's no way he isn't trolling with that. Absolutely incredible if he isn't.

Why do they make it so hard to find things in the marketplace? After you all raving about crimson dragon I was intrigued and could not find it. Finally I located an article on wpcentral that had a link. How does searching for crimson dragon come up with zero results when it's obviously there. Sigh.

Why do they make it so hard to find things in the marketplace? After you all raving about crimson dragon I was intrigued and could not find it. Finally I located an article on wpcentral that had a link. How does searching for crimson dragon come up with zero results when it's obviously there. Sigh.

You don't have to search for it at all on my side. It's on the top of new Xbox Live games.

I got it almost new off a guy about a year and a half ago maybe? Hard to remember but I've put it through the ringer dropping it and needing a new screen and such. Can't wait until wp8 although I'll need to switch carriers since sprint probably won't get it.

Some bugs seem to clear out once you do a factory reset, but as with resets, back up everything - and your camera will forget the numbering.

vlad at the verge wants the 920 with android. And he wrote an article on it. Port begging should be a bannable offense in tech journalism.

i don't get it... if he wants a fisher price toy looking gaudy plastic phone with a sealed in battery and no expandable storage, why not get the HTC One X? or are there not enough colors?

You know, I have to say the 900 is going to be supported better than a lot of android phones. That's quite a bit of support for a platform going EOL at the end of the year.

What kind of voodoo magic are they doing for bluetooth file transfer? Maybe I will be getting a lumia after all...except

how is this even a new feature? i could do this in windows mobile 5 years ago.

JaggedSac

Crimson Dragon hasn't shown up on my phone marketplace either. I think there are some issues where new items are not indexed properly.

i don't get it... if he wants a fisher price toy looking gaudy plastic phone with a sealed in battery and no expandable storage, why not get the HTC One X? or are there not enough colors?

Needs more IRC.

My fiancé has been after me to factory reset for a while since I complain about certain things but I'm nervous about losing stuff so I havn't yet.

What do you think you'll lose? Remember that your computer has way more storage than your phone under most cases, and your contacts should be synced up to the cloud as long as the connection's not derped out all the time. Just log in after the reset, and your contacts should be intact. You'll probably lose your text messages, though, and you'll have to reinstall apps. (Do remember to reinstall only the ones you need/bought.)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What do you think you'll lose? Remember that your computer has way more storage than your phone under most cases, and your contacts should be synced up to the cloud as long as the connection's not derped out all the time. Just log in after the reset, and your contacts should be intact. You'll probably lose your text messages, though, and you'll have to reinstall apps. (Do remember to reinstall only the ones you need/bought.)

Won't he lose app settings and game saves?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes you just have to deal with data loss. I've learned from all the times of resets that sometimes you just have to let it go. Besides, sometimes it's fun to do everything again in a game.

Yeah, I have had to do it as well. Get over it pretty quick. I thought I saw something on WP Central regarding another way to back up your phone?

maeh2k

Look here: http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-live-crimson-dragon-side-story-glides-windows-phone-marketplace

At the bottom there's a market place link, so you can have the game sent to your phone.
And there's also a QR code that you can scan with bing vision and which leads to the market place.

rozay

Banned

how is this even a new feature? i could do this in windows mobile 5 years ago.
I know, but windows mobile 5 wasn't a walled garden with no file system access :p

Seems like Nokia is trying to cater to symbian converts.

buhdeh

The more I look at the 920, the more I want it. I wish more companies would support WP8... no dropbox, no instagram, no bank app.. is there even a youtube app? :(

The more I look at the 920, the more I want it. I wish more companies would support WP8... no dropbox, no instagram, no bank app.. is there even a youtube app? :(

Google doesn't like sharing their own privateAPIs, so the official app is just a browser link. There does exist unofficial apps that do it much better,though the browser is perfectly fine.

PG2G

Instagram is supposedly coming, youtube there are 3rd party apps. Hopefully the banking situation and dropbox will improve as a result of WP8/WinRT.

Milchjon

There are 3rd party apps for dropbox that work reasonably well. In most cases I just use Skydrive anyway, but I never had a problem with boxfiles.
Instagram is a shame, yeah. But I can't imagine them not doing something about it.
As for banking, my bank has an app there, are you sure there isn't anything?
For Youtube, there's a crappy official one and some pretty good third party apps. I mostly just use the mobile website anyway, since it works almost flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom