• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNino

The more I look at the 920, the more I want it. I wish more companies would support WP8... no dropbox, no instagram, no bank app.. is there even a youtube app? :(
No Dropbox, but Skydrive support is built into WP so I've never needed Dropbox.

No Instagram... yet. There is (reportedly) an Instagram app being worked on, possibly by MS and/or Nokia.

Banking apps would depend on your bank... mine doesn't have a native WP app, but the mobile web version has almost all the functionality of the app (which I have on the iPad) so I don't miss anything there.

As for YouTube, there is no official app but several very good alternatives (MetroTube is my favorite).

The more I look at the 920, the more I want it. I wish more companies would support WP8... no dropbox, no instagram, no bank app.. is there even a youtube app? :(

Isn't Instagram coming? Not sure about Dropbox, but I love the Skydrive integration. Bank app? Which bank? The Bank of America app just add mobile check deposits, HOLLA HOLLA HOLLA.

And yeah, there is a super basic Youtube app, and plenty of great 3rd party Youtube apps.

derFeef

WP8 is not even out yet, the app support should be much higher. Instagram is supposed to be coming, and there are neat youtube alternatives for 7(.5)
My bank does have an official app, btw.

Windows Phone got a somewhat capable HTML5 browser with IE9 Mobile, so m.youtube.com is really good. If you want to download videos and stuff like that, there are some good 3rd party apps out there.

buhdeh

There are 3rd party apps for dropbox that work reasonably well. In most cases I just use Skydrive anyway, but I never had a problem with boxfiles.
Instagram is a shame, yeah. But I can't imagine them not doing something about it.
As for banking, my bank has an app there, are you sure there isn't anything?
For Youtube, there's a crappy official one and some pretty good third party apps. I mostly just use the mobile website anyway, since it works almost flawlessly.

I'm in Canada... but still my bank is the largest in Canada and (according to Forbes) the 70th largest company in the world =/

PG2G

Regarding banks one thing that is coming soon, an API from Intuit (owners of Mint) that should allow access to account information and transactions for a crap load of banks. So presumably people could start to create apps with some level of banking integration, read only though I'm sure.

http://developer.intuit.com/agg-cat/index.html

Edit: doesn't look very free though :p so nevermind

Isn't Instagram coming? Not sure about Dropbox, but I love the Skydrive integration. Bank app? Which bank? The Bank of America app just add mobile check deposits, HOLLA HOLLA HOLLA.

And yeah, there is a super basic Youtube app, and plenty of great 3rd party Youtube apps.
WAT?!

Trying right now.
Windows Phone got a somewhat capable HTML5 browser with IE9 Mobile, so m.youtube.com is really good. If you want to download videos and stuff like that, there are some good 3rd party apps out there.
Yeah personally, I never saw the need for a Youtube app. If I hit a youtube link, the mobile site has worked just fine for me.
Lumia 920 still has a slightly greater PPI than the iPhone 5.

And better resolution. iPhone 5 is nice for the people that are already on the full-speed iPhone boner train (they finally get somewhere close to the 21st century with a screen size increase), but it doesn't make me want one as a WP user.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
WAT?!

Trying right now.

Yeah personally, I never saw the need for a Youtube app. If I hit a youtube link, the mobile site has worked just fine for me.

And better resolution. iPhone 5 is nice for the people that are already on the full-speed iPhone boner train (they finally get somewhere close to the 21st century with a screen size increase), but it doesn't make me want one as a WP user.

Lumia 920 is looking great in comparison so far.

venne

Lumia 920 is looking great in comparison so far.

Amazing how horrid iOS looks in 16:9.

Some of the images posted on the verge are cringe inducing. I can't believe they did it.

The internals sound really stout, but they really blew the form factor pairing with iOS.

JaggedSac

Wow, the 920 can stand toe to toe spec wise with the new phones, a first for WP I believe. Those damn apps will plague them forever though.

Milchjon

Wow, the 920 can stand toe to toe spec wise with the new phones, a first for WP I believe. Those damn apps will plague them forever though.

I'd actually say it's superior in every way but thickness, weight and availability.

But those three might still be enough :-(

rozay

Banned
I'd actually say it's superior in every way but thickness, weight and availability.

But those three might still be enough :-(
Yeah I'm not sure how well most people will take to the weight. 112 grams for the iPhone 5 versus 184 grams for the lumia 920. The current crop of today's large flagship smartphones are all in the 130-140 gram range.
Nokia will have the best phone out this fall. Amazing, and unexpected for me.
The only thing that's going to hurt them at this point is Microsoft dropping the ball on getting the OS done.

JaggedSac

I don't really see the resemblance, just seems like they are making some common sense updates. I've never used iTunes, but am surprised that some of these features they are mentioning haven't been there already.

and new ipod nanos are now part of the LUmia line
iPhone5_0775.jpg

UI still looks like shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom