• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

Hmmm music search is available in these locations

Music search. Music search results are available in the following countries/regions: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and United States.

H3xum

Just got back from my local ATT store and picked up a 900

To my shock, not only did I get the 100 dollars from Nokia/Microsoft, netting me a free phone, but, I also received 100 dollars worth of free accessories. So I picked up some BT speakers.

Successful trip I'd say

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from my local ATT store and picked up a 900

To my shock, not only did I get the 100 dollars from Nokia/Microsoft, netting me a free phone, but, I also received 100 dollars worth of free accessories. So I picked up some BT speakers.

Successful trip I'd say

Thats pretty sweet. What colour did you get?

frontieruk

I've tried that. It gives me local scout, which is useless, but no music search. :(

I'll bug my local evangelist some more until they fix it.

I'd assume you're not getting the music icon? If this is the case set your browser / search settings to use English UK or USA that should get your the feature.

Fjolle

I'd assume you're not getting the music icon? If this is the case set your browser / search settings to use English UK or USA that should get your the feature.

If i set system locale and search locale to danish i get vision search.
If i set system locale to danish and search locale to US i get vision and local search
If i set system and search locale to US i get vision, voice and local search.

My wife called and told me her data doesn't work. I'm guessing this will eventually affect all Lumia 900's, not just some like Nokia's blog post seemed to imply.

I think what they are saying is that the software problem arises under certain conditions, and those conditions may not have been met on all customer's phones.

I've had the data issue once since i got the phone, rebooted it and haven't seen it again since.. I'm guessing I just haven't run into the specific bug that triggers it over the last 48 hours.

memory management issues are pretty flaky and hard to reproduce consistently.. seeing as everyone uses their devices in a different way.

Hearing Renewed Chatter of Microsoft Interest in Research in Motion Acquisition
The Rumor:
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT)is prepared to make a $3.5 billion investment in Research in Motion (NASDAQ: RIMM), according to sources. The two companies have been frequently mentioned in potential deals over the past few months.

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-ideas/long-ideas/12/04/2486283/benzingas-m-a-chatter-for-tuesday-april-10-2012

http://wmpoweruser.com/rumour-microsoft-looking-to-take-a-50-stake-in-rim/

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The Rumor:
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT)is prepared to make a $3.5 billion investment in Research in Motion (NASDAQ: RIMM), according to sources. The two companies have been frequently mentioned in potential deals over the past few months.

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-ide...nzingas-m-a-chatter-for-tuesday-april-10-2012

i don't know how i feel about this =/

maeh2k

If i set system locale and search locale to danish i get vision search.
If i set system locale to danish and search locale to US i get vision and local search
If i set system and search locale to US i get vision, voice and local search.

interesting. thought you could get music search everywhere.
fortunately music search isn't that big of a loss, since there are apps like shazam.
as long as you get local scout (via the us search settings)

hwalker84

The Rumor:

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-ide...nzingas-m-a-chatter-for-tuesday-april-10-2012

Any IT administrator that handles their own Exchange environment and BES or BIS environment will welcome this.

Also this makes the purchase appealing http://us.blackberry.com/business/s..._Launch&RRID=ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP1234567890123456

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Let me tell you guys how scummy at&t are:

On Monday, when I upgraded my line so I could get my wife the Lumia, I was upfront with the cs rep and told them the upgrade was not for my line. She did whatever she had to do in the background, gave me a new SIM (I dont know why), then set up the Lumia on my wife's line. I had both phones available at the store.

Everything was done except for visual voicemail. Not only did it not work on her phone, but my phone got a prompt for visual voicemail as well. Seems like she added and deleted the feature on my line as part of her processing the upgrade. So after calling at&t, they fix the issue on her phone, but rather than trying to fix it on my phone, they delete my voicemail account and add it back on so I can get regular voicemail instead of visual.

Now that's pretty shitty already, why not just let me keep the feature? It clearly works on my phone, it just needs to be properly provisioned. It gets worse. They are not able to completely delete it from my phone since they activated it already, and now every time I tap on my phone app I get prompted for a visual voicemail password. Now, 2 days later and they've tried everything in their manual to delete that behavior for my phone, do they decide to just provide me the feature? Nope, they are asking me to do a hard reset on my phone and lose 5 months worth of texts and app data. Thanks, at&t.

Razdek

Banned
The Rumor:

They should just wait a year or so and scoop them up at a bargain bin price if they really want to do it. RIM is on a downward slide and I don't think there's anything that they can do to prevent it from changing but I still don't Microsoft should do it.

gcubed

eh, the business world has been slowly moving away from RIM for a few years now. Why jump on the sinking ship now? Its a waste of money in my opinion.

MechDX

On Monday, when I upgraded my line so I could get my wife the Lumia, I was upfront with the cs rep and told them the upgrade was not for my line. She did whatever she had to do in the background, gave me a new SIM (I dont know why), then set up the Lumia on my wife's line. I had both phones available at the store.

Everything was done except for visual voicemail. Not only did it not work on her phone, but my phone got a prompt for visual voicemail as well. Seems like she added and deleted the feature on my line as part of her processing the upgrade. So after calling at&t, they fix the issue on her phone, but rather than trying to fix it on my phone, they delete my voicemail account and add it back on so I can get regular voicemail instead of visual.

Now that's pretty shitty already, why not just let me keep the feature? It clearly works on my phone, it just needs to be properly provisioned. It gets worse. They are not able to completely delete it from my phone since they activated it already, and now every time I tap on my phone app I get prompted for a visual voicemail password. Now, 2 days later and they've tried everything in their manual to delete that behavior for my phone, do they decide to just provide me the feature? Nope, they are asking me to do a hard reset on my phone and lose 5 months worth of texts and app data. Thanks, at&t.

Basically what Verizon wanted to do mine and my wifes phones and the reason we just switched to AT&T. Guess we are all just screwed no matter who our carrier is.

Razdek

Banned
eh, the business world has been slowly moving away from RIM for a few years now. Why jump on the sinking ship now? Its a waste of money in my opinion.

Maybe they might be worth it for the patents but I agree, why would you want to take on the problems that are affecting RIM as well?

Razdek

Banned
Kill the playbook, kill BBX and integrate BB features into W8 and WP8.

That might not be too bad then. What do you do about their hardware division? Kill it off as well and make it strictly software? I still think it'll take too long to do the transition and Microsoft isn't really known for their quick actions.

Sean

Banned
3.5 billion for a 50% stake in a dying company seems like a very poor investment. At this point RIM doesn't really have much to offer aside from some patents.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That might not be too bad then. What do you do about their hardware division? Kill it off as well and make it strictly software? I still think it'll take too long to do the transition and Microsoft isn't really known for their quick actions.

I would keep the hardware division. I'm sure they could make nice WP devices and tablets. Your right that the transition would probably take too long and would hurt both companies.

If it was to happen I would hope that BB fans would transition espically if it has BBM and a keyboard.

I'm still sad about Palm and WebOS, and I still occasionally get a stink face when I realize Nokia basically became MS' bitch.

The more competition the better, but it seems that's simply not an option in the mobile device market. There's only room for so many competitors and OS'es. So dealing with this reality, RIM might as well be bought up by MS. Make WP7 a decent competitor to iOS and Android. At least we'll have 3 valid options as a consumer, instead of two.

frontieruk

but they wouldn't be adverse to making mobiles with keyboards which seems to be a dying trend, I know there's a hint Nokia is bringing one out, but another manufacturer offering another form factor couldn't hurt the platform.

jagowar

3.5 billion for a 50% stake in a dying company seems like a very poor investment. At this point RIM doesn't really have much to offer aside from some patents.

Agreed... seems that money would be better spent on outright buying nokia. These days they are making much nicer products.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Agreed... seems that money would be better spent on outright buying nokia. These days they are making much nicer products.
if they bought nokia it would probably put them in a holding pattern till the anti trust stuf got passed. Probably a year or so.

Firestorm

I’m using the Zune desktop client for the first time and I can't find any podcasts in the marketplace

Microsoft restricted the podcast marketplace to the US. However, you can unlock this section in the software by simply launching this reg script, provided by Rafael Rivera, author of the WithinWindows blog.
The link in the FAQ doesn't work. Do you have a working link? Would be really helpful since I was wondering why I couldn't access podcasts all this time...

Sean

Banned
I'm still sad about Palm and WebOS, and I still occasionally get a stink face when I realize Nokia basically became MS' bitch.

The more competition the better, but it seems that's simply not an option in the mobile device market. There's only room for so many competitors and OS'es. So dealing with this reality, RIM might as well be bought up by MS. Make WP7 a decent competitor to iOS and Android. At least we'll have 3 valid options as a consumer, instead of two.

Blackberry users don't strike me as a particularly loyal bunch - there's no guarantee they'd be along for the ride and would transition to Windows Phone.

Most BB owners you ask will say they only bought one to BBM with friends and are planning on switching when their contract is up.

Razdek

Banned
if they bought nokia it would probably put them in a holding pattern till the anti trust stuf got passed. Probably a year or so.

Yea why buy them when they're practically yours at the moment. If they did it would be similar to what Google did with Motorola and you'd be competing against your own OEMs.

Just had a quick play around. (new updated UI is fantastic btw)

Once you have searched for the dates and location you want to fly on, you are presented with a list of flight specifics (i.e. 7.20am flight from this airport) and it will give you a price. Click on this.

In the next view, which shows the detail for that trip, there is a pin button in the app bar. This will update the price for that specific flight (or flights for return).

You can pin as many of those as you need.

Perfect, thank you! I would be nice if you could pin a specific search that updated with cheaper results instead of specific flights, but this works well, too.

Windows 8 allows you to select 4 or 5 apps to have notifications for the lockscreen. No apps in the CP really take advantage of it yet though.

I assume something like that could be coming to the phone.

Yeah, that's one of the things that made me think about it.

I hope the W8 and WP8 teams are working closely together. W8 and WP almost feel like two completely different designs right now.

gcubed

RIM hasn't made a good piece of touch hardware ever, accompanied by the fact that keyboard phones are quickly dying out, its a lot of money to spend.

Razdek

Banned
RIM hasn't made a good piece of touch hardware ever, accompanied by the fact that keyboard phones are quickly dying out, its a lot of money to spend.

Not only that but then they'd have to take responsibility for supporting all the different hardware and software fragmentation's of BBs out there and it appears to be more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

thirty

Banned
why doesn't everyone just delete The Verge from their bookmarks? it's not like they offer anything over other similar sites.

Firestorm

ty!
I'd say it'd be a good thing for us as Canadians. RIM will be dead if left alone and we have too much invested in them.

blackberrybold9900handson.jpg

Not only that but then they'd have to take responsibility for supporting all the different hardware and software fragmentation's of BBs out there and it appears to be more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.
Microsoft is pretty good at giving a fuck you to people on legacy hardware. It'll be nice if they could force that on RIM.

Second largest patent library aside from Nokia iirc along with their recent purchases like TAT, QNX, Newbay, Gist, Tungle, that gamification company I can't remember the name of... Up to Microsoft to use them efficiently though.

Basically I just want a Bold 9900 running Windows Phone and my pension to exist when I get old so make it happen Microsoft!

Milchjon

Looks like the battery update for the Lumia 800 has finally arrived for T-Mobile Germany. Gonna be interesting.

Edit: AND WhatsApp got an update. Thank you, based smartphone god.

Blackhead

Redarse
Thanks guys. I'm really sorry about the huge delay and the OP isn't really finished yet. I'll have to tweak few things here and there. But still, if it wasn't for frontieruk, it wouldn't be up at all. Unlike many other people, he actually helped me when he said so and did a big part of the Bing section and helped me finish the animated banner. It's actually rotating between the Lumia 800, Focus S and Radar. Soon there will be two additional clips in the banner. Yes, I'm a bit mad, but you guys know that Metro works best in motion.

I made it really easy to update the phone tiles, but I'm thinking about ditching the carrier tile, because it's a huge pain to maintain it.

It was worth the wait. Great job.

Commodore

why doesn't everyone just delete The Verge from their bookmarks? it's not like they offer anything over other similar sites.

Personally I'm waiting for them to insult my mother. Then I'll be over them like the cow and the moon.

(btw, great job on the OP Brot, feel guilty for not having helped in some way)

A lot of them use Android handsets, including Joshua.
it's not about what they use personally though, it's about the contents of their website and the agendas they push on it. i guess writing with a certain slant earns them more views and more money or whatever.

there's no way to sync or back up your texts or app data?

gcubed

ty!I'd say it'd be a good thing for us as Canadians. RIM will be dead if left alone and we have too much invested in them.

blackberrybold9900handson.jpg

Microsoft is pretty good at giving a fuck you to people on legacy hardware. It'll be nice if they could force that on RIM.

Second largest patent library aside from Nokia iirc along with their recent purchases like TAT, QNX, Newbay, Gist, Tungle, that gamification company I can't remember the name of... Up to Microsoft to use them efficiently though.

Basically I just want a Bold 9900 running Windows Phone and my pension to exist when I get old so make it happen Microsoft!

Not touch hardware (I specifically said touch for that specific reason ). Keyboards are less and less relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom