• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshair

How does the cam in the 920 compare to the iPhone 5?

Hard to say at this point without direct comparison tests.

However the specs are seemingly better on the 920:

- 8.7 mp vs 8.0 (though we all know MP doesn't really matter)
- 2.0 aperture vs 2.2 2.4 (smaller # is better)
- OIS vs none

Other than that, they both have LED flash, autofocus, 1080p recording @ 30fps. Both of their FFC are 1.2 mp @ 720p and 30 fps.

kharma45

- 2.0 aperture vs 2.2 (smaller # is better)
- OIS vs none

Other than that, they both have LED flash, autofocus, 1080p recording @ 30fps. Both of their FFC are 1.2 mp @ 720p and 30 fps.

iPhone is f2.4 not 2.2.

f0lken

- 2.0 aperture vs 2.2 (smaller # is better)
- OIS vs none

The iPhone's aperture is 2.4, and given that is essentialy the same as the 4S camera (Apple themselves said so) you should see this kind of diference in night shots:

Lumia 920
lumia-920-original.jpg

iPhone 4S/likely 5 too
IMG_0454.JPG

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Besides beating the iPhone 5 on camera, pixel density, resolution, and wireless charging, the Lumia will have the best touchscreen on a smartphone. Faster refresh and the crazy touch tech that you can use a glove with.

Does the 5 even have NFC? If not, pile that up on the list above.

Get ready for two months of Apple folks touting how important weight and thickness are. Gotta win on something.

Troll

Banned
Besides beating the iPhone 5 on camera, pixel density, resolution, and wireless charging, the Lumia will have the best touchscreen on a smartphone. Faster refresh and the crazy touch tech that you can use a glove with.

Get ready for two months of Apple folks touting how important weight and thickness are. Gotta win on something.

Lol, yeah it is missing NFC.

But you have to hand it to Apple, if you have girl hands the iPhone is a good choice. :p

e: Yeah, those pics are pretty good considering how fucked up the firmware on the 900 ended up being.

f0lken

e: Yeah, those pics are pretty good considering how fucked up the firmware on the 900 ended up being.

Yeah, my point is that with the right light conditions (as I am sure those 900 and iPhone 5 pics had) any capable smartphone could take good to very good day photos, so is 99% sure that the 920 will take good day photos, where it is unmatched is in low light conditions

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Daylight shots are gimmes for today's smartphones. I hate the camera on my Focus S, but give it some daylight and the results are pretty awesome.

kehs

Banned

You got one Van.

Commodore

Put me in this camp as well.

Three's company. I seriously thought Apple would at least knock something out of the park, where they...changed everything. Again. But everything they brought to the table was more or less catch up to what's already there. It honestly felt like a Windows Phone press conference for the past two years.

Also, kinda like the idea of a decent little picture to post for anyone switching. Needs to be a little funny. Already a bunch of soon to be ex-iPhoners are making switch announcement posts in the Nokia press conf. thread. Talking with family and friends today, a ton of them are saying they'd love to switch, but just can't because of the app investment they've already put in. Huge testament to Apple, that ecosystem has quite a pull.

Seriously, how do people take pictures with dof? because I can't seem to be able to do it. Is there something special or setting that you have to set or something?

use the touchscreen to manually set the focus. you might be more lucky with that for dof compared to the camera button

venne

It's getting testy!

You are not the average customer who likes a sleek lightweight phone with a managable size with good materials and easy to use. I'd rather carry a 7" tablet in my pocket than the lumia 920.

Besides Windows Mobile sucks at app selection and ecosystem, and any OS with a registry is shit.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you . . .

f0lken

The rationalizm is big today in the iPhone 5 thread when someone mentions the Lumia 920, not even the S3 generated the same reactions.

Codeblue

Hey guys, I was thinking about jumping back on Windows now that my contract is up for renewal. I just wanted to know if it supported texting in Arabic yet. My Android will type and show Arabic but it won't connect the letters so it's annoying to read.

I really dislike iOS, so I'm hoping they aren't the only ones supporting the language.

Also did they ever add in custom ring tones and all that other stuff that was missing at launch?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
so no active tile thing invention from apple?

Well they invented a bunch of ther stuff today. Extra row of tiles, panorama, Facebook integration, console graphics, and earbuds that direct sound INTO the ear. Let's give credit where credit is due.

venne

Hey guys, I was thinking about jumping back on Windows now that my contract is up for renewal. I just wanted to know if it supported texting in Arabic yet. My Android will type and show Arabic but it won't connect the letters so it's annoying to read.

I really dislike iOS, so I'm hoping they aren't the only ones supporting the language.

Also did they ever add in custom ring tones and all that other stuff that was missing at launch?

Here's some Arabic info, don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for.

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/07/27/video-arabic-in-windows-phone-8/

Custom ringtones are currently present.

Wait for the Windows Phone 8 devices, they should land in less than two months.

Cipherr

It's getting testy!

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you . . .

It was all good until Nokia released a phone that is more attractive to many than the new iPhone. Now you all will have to be the 'enemy' too. GL with that.

The rationalizm is big today in the iPhone 5 thread when someone mentions the Lumia 920, not even the S3 generated the same reactions.

I seriously enjoyed the ridiculous downplaying of NFC, Wireless charging, and the great great touchscreen enhancements Nokia made. All of a sudden all those advancements became 'trivial stuff noone cares about'.

thirty

Banned
complaining about registry is silly.

I remember when iPhone owners would say "it's a computer" as a complement. now, "it's a computer" is an insult towards WP. hahahaha.

Troll

Banned
It's funny. The more I read about the 920 the more that I'm convinced it is genuinely better than the iPhone.

Even when I take my fanboy glasses off!

venne

It is better.

You definitely have to give the nod to the iphone when it comes to ecosystem and I'm guessing the CPU and GPU of the 5 are better than the S4 in the 920, but the 920 has a bigger and better screen, better touch capabilities, better camera (and a hardware button!), NFC, inductive charge, and a modern OS that truly belongs on a widescreen device.

PG2G

So, you guys still think Nokia should have announced the 920 after the iPhone 5? The 920 made this announcement much more disappointing than it would have been otherwise.

JaggedSac

So, you guys still think Nokia should have announced the 920 after the iPhone 5? The 920 made this announcement much more disappointing than it would have been otherwise.

It doesn't seem to have affected the tech blogs views at all from what I have seen. They all seem to think the device is the bee's knees.

I seriously enjoyed the ridiculous downplaying of NFC, Wireless charging, and the great great touchscreen enhancements Nokia made. All of a sudden all those advancements became 'trivial stuff noone cares about'.

You have to understand what we're dealing with here. Someone made a thread about how innovative the new iPhone's charger/accessory port is...and he was serious.

Troll

Banned
It is better.

You definitely have to give the nod to the iphone when it comes to ecosystem and I'm guessing the CPU and GPU of the 5 are better than the S4 in the 920, but the 920 has a bigger and better screen, better touch capabilities, better camera (and a hardware button!), NFC, inductive charge, and a modern OS that truly belongs on a widescreen device.

I read the A6 is only getting 2x the performance over the A5 in the 4s. How does that compare to the S4? I thought that the S4 was over 2x as fast as the A5...

PG2G

I read the A6 is only getting 2x the performance over the A5 in the 4s. How does that compare to the S4? I thought that the S4 was over 2x as fast as the A5...

Only? 2x is pretty good man haha. Isn't that about the normal delta between each generation? It should be roughly equivalent to the S4 (perhaps slightly better). The A6 GPU kicks the crap out of the S4 though haha.

The CPU and GPU on the 5 is better than anything right now except the PS Vita (which is basically the same), so even if its only 2X the performance of the A5 it is still better than current competition but not by a huge margin.

The CPU in the 5 isn't. It is a dual core underclocked A9. Wikipedia says it is only 800 Mhz. If that is our case, our 1.5 GHz S4 probably does kick the crap out of It (roughly double the clock and more efficient). The GPU more than makes up for it though.

f0lken

The CPU and GPU on the 5 is better than anything right now except the PS Vita (which is basically the same), so even if its only 2X the performance of the A5 it is still better than current competition but not by a huge margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom