• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

The CPU and GPU on the 5 is better than anything right now except the PS Vita (which is basically the same), so even if its only 2X the performance of the A5 it is still better than current competition but not by a huge margin.

That is, until the Adreno 320.

giga

Only? 2x is pretty good man haha. Isn't that about the normal delta between each generation? It should be roughly equivalent to the S4 (perhaps slightly better). The A6 GPU kicks the crap out of the S4 though haha.

The CPU in the 5 isn't. It is a dual core underclocked A9. Wikipedia says it is only 800 Mhz. If that is our case, our 1.5 GHz S4 probably does kick the crap out of It (roughly double the clock and more efficient). The GPU more than makes up for it though.
You're looking at the 4s.

PG2G

Yeah, im saying the A6 is 2x the performance of the A5. The S4 is 2x the clockspeed and more efficient so the S4 should come out in front

giga

Yeah, im saying the A6 is 2x the performance of the A5. The S4 is 2x the clockspeed and more efficient so the S4 should come out in front
I'm not sure how we can compare them if we don't know the clockspeed, architecture, or the die size.

PG2G

I'm not sure how we can compare them if we don't know the clockspeed, architecture, or the die size.

We're just talking an approximation...

A5 = 800 MHz dual core ARM Cortex A9. The A9 has a DMIPS/MHz rating of 2.5
A6 = twice the performance of the A5
S4 = 1.5 GHz dual core Krait. The Krait has a DMIPS/MHz rating of 3.3

If the Krait had the same DMIPS rating as the A9 they would be roughly equal. But... it doesn't

giga

We're just talking an approximation...

A5 = 800 MHz dual core ARM Cortex A9. The A9 has a DMIPS/MHz rating of 2.5
A6 = twice the performance of the A5
S4 = 1.5 GHz dual core Krait. The Krait has a DMIPS/MHz rating of 3.3

If the Krait had the same DMIPS rating as the A9 they would be roughly equal. But... it doesn't
A9? I'm talking A15.

PG2G

Ok, I'm lost. Weren't you just making a comparison to the A9's performance with the Krait?

I'm just saying we can compare the performance of the S4 and A6 GPU, because we "know" the performance of the A5 and we know the A6 is twice as fast as the A5 :p

Either way, it doesn't really matter

giga

I'm just saying we can compare the performance of the S4 and A6 GPU, because we "know" the performance of the A5 and we know the A6 is twice as fast as the A5 :p

Either way, it doesn't really matter
Yeah, I'm fine with the gpu comparison. It was this part I had qualms about:

The CPU in the 5 isn't. It is a dual core underclocked A9. Wikipedia says it is only 800 Mhz. If that is our case, our 1.5 GHz S4 probably does kick the crap out of It (roughly double the clock and more efficient). The GPU more than makes up for it though.
You were describing the 4S there. The A5 has the 800mhz A9 core, not the A6.

PG2G

You were describing the 4S there. The A5 has the 800mhz A9 core, not the A6.

Perhaps it is poor wording on my part. If the A5 is an dual 800 MHz A9, that makes the A6 the equivalent of a dual 1600 MHz A9. The S4 is a dual 1500 MHz Krait, so the S4 should have a more powerful CPU

NeOak

Perhaps it is poor wording on my part. If the A5 is an dual 800 MHz A9, that makes the A6 the equivalent of a dual 1600 MHz A9. The S4 is a dual 1500 MHz Krait, so the S4 should have a more powerful CPU

The A6 supposedly is an Cortex A15 arquitecture, but until the benchmarks are run, we wont know for sure.

giga

Eh. I wouldn't say that. Krait itself was about a 2x increase over scorpion in synthetic tests. (and less in real world tests) And the scorpion core was similar to the A9 in performance. So the differentiating factor could be clock speed, but the two should perform similarly.

Samsung's own 2ghz A15 chip is twice as fast as their existing 1.5ghz A9 chip. That's a 30% clock increase for 100% gain in performance.

And honestly, I think most of us care more about an hour or more of extra battery than a few hundred megahurtz.

PG2G

I'd agree that in the end it doesn't matter, someone asked how they compared though. Though I still don't know if you guys understand what I'm saying.

ARM Cortex A9 = 2.5 DMIPS/MHz
Krait = 3.3 DMIPS/MHz

A5 = 2 * A9 * 800 = 4000
A6 = 2 * A5 = 8000
S4 = 2 * Krait * 1500 = 9900

Apple hasn't really said much about the A6 anyway, have they? It could very well be a dual 1.6 GHz A9, or quad 800 MHz A9s...

giga

I'd agree that in the end it doesn't matter, someone asked how they compared though. Though I still don't know if you guys understand what I'm saying.

Krait = 3.3 DMIPS/MHz

A5 = 2 * A9 * 800 = 4000
A6 = 2 * A5 = 8000
Do one for a 1.5 tegra 3 to see why dmips is largely irrelevant to real world performance.

NeOak

Krait = 3.3 DMIPS/MHz

A5 = 2 * A9 * 800 = 4000
A6 = 2 * A5 = 8000

Apple hasn't really said much about the A6 anyway, have they? It could very well be a dual 1.6 GHz A9, or quad 800 MHz A9s...

A quad A9? The leakage alone would kill the battery, that is why the S3 has a "big" battery.

Troll

Banned
Hey guys, something sort of neat that I noticed. In this Youtube video at 4:16 you can see that the Keyboard now uses your theme color as the highlight to the letters. The guy in the demo had the Yellow theme and as a result the Keyboard used a Yellow highlight for the keys he pressed. Attention to detail like this really makes the user experience for me.

I didn't see anyone talking about it so I thought I would bring it up.

Firestorm

Because apparently this is where we're discussing iPhone CPUs, anyone know how the new iPod Touch compares to the iPhone 5? I was thinking of grabbing a Touch + WP7 but was really hoping it would be identical to the iPhone in every way aside from the radio...

NeOak

Because apparently this is where we're discussing iPhone CPUs, anyone know how the new iPod Touch compares to the iPhone 5? I was thinking of grabbing a Touch + WP7 but was really hoping it would be identical to the iPhone in every way aside from the radio...

The new iTouch is the 32nm A5, should be the same as a 4S in terms of performance.

Why on earth would you want an iPod Touch if you have a smartphone..?

Milchjon

Fucking Apple. I'm starting to have arguments over the 920 with my "techie" friends. Apple has done it again. NFC was the next big thing among my friends, right until Apple said it wasn't. And after 30 minutes, when I have finally shown that the 920 is superior in almost any aspect, it's "Yeah, but apps".

Motherfuck. How does Apple do it.

derFeef

Fucking Apple. I'm starting to have arguments over the 920 with my "techie" friends. Apple has done it again. NFC was the next big thing among my friends, right until Apple said it wasn't. And after 30 minutes, when I have finally shown that the 920 is superior in almost any aspect, it's "Yeah, but apps".

Motherfuck. How does Apple do it.

Same situation for me, but with Android. "Can I hack it?" "Can I root it?" dunno what that even means...

Milchjon

Same situation for me, but with Android. "Can I hack it?" "Can I root it?" dunno what that even means...

Your friends like Arrrrrpps /bad piracy joke

I think you won't be able to convince these people, as Android will always be more open (I wouldn't want it that way). But how people can act like the iPhone 5 is anything more than a weak update that barely closes the gap between the 4S and newer alternatives is beyond me.

The first iPhone blew me away. The iPhone 4/4S is still in my top 3 device designs and things like Retina, the camera, FFC and Siri were things that WP just couldn't match. But the iPhone 5, or really anything they showed yesterday, was completely underwhelming.

I never thought just how crucial Steve Jobs has been for their devices.

Totakeke

Everyone around me thinks I'm a crazy Microsoft/Nokia fanboy just because I'm a techie and I don't use either Android or iOS. And I've never even used a Nokia phone :lol. When people think you that way, it's hard to convince them that you're the most rational of the bunch. I don't even push WP to them because they'd have a difficult time justifying why they'd use WP to everyone else. Most of them clearly don't know why they've chosen the phone they're using other than it's Apple/not Apple.

rozay

Banned
Your friends like Arrrrrpps /bad piracy joke

I think you won't be able to convince these people, as Android will always be more open (I wouldn't want it that way). But how people can act like the iPhone 5 is anything more than a weak update that barely closes the gap between the 4S and newer alternatives is beyond me.

The first iPhone blew me away. The iPhone 4/4S is still in my top 3 device designs and things like Retina, the camera, FFC and Siri were things that WP just couldn't match. But the iPhone 5, or really anything they showed yesterday, was completely underwhelming.

I never thought just how crucial Steve Jobs has been for their devices.
there's not much difference in the jump between the 4S->5 as the S2->S3, Samsung or Nokia equivalent WP phone. The issue is that both other platforms are now on very similar footing, and the people who were expecting a jump like the 3GS->4 are going to be disappointed.

The 5 is plenty refined compared to last year's model, and that will be enough for the public to eat it up.

Milchjon

there's not much difference in the jump between the 4S->5 as the S2->S3, Samsung or Nokia equivalent WP phone. The issue is that both other platforms are now on very similar footing, and the people who were expecting a jump like the 3GS->4 are going to be disappointed.

The 5 is plenty refined compared to last year's model, and that will be enough for the public to eat it up.

I think Nokia showed that there's still plenty room to innovate. Apple hasn't shown anything in that regard, when I fully expected them to.
Until yesterday, I was afraid that I got my hopes up early and that Apple will best the Lumia 920, like they always did before. Now I'm simply blown away that people eat up everything.

venne

I think the problem for Apple this year is that there isn't an exclusive tent pole feature to point to why the iPhone 5 is superior to other devices like there has been recently with the 'retina' display and Siri with the 4 and 4S, respectively.

If iphone fans had a Pureview to trumpet, that's what we would be hearing.

They don't.

Cipherr

I think Nokia showed that there's still plenty room to innovate. Apple hasn't shown anything in that regard, when I fully expected them to.

This. While I may have thought prior to the Nokia showing that everything about smartphones besides the chips was going to slow down and be more dull, Nokia proved that wrong. I really like the forward thinking NFC usage, I like the touchscreen improvements, I like the OIS camera tech. All of that is impressive, and it shows that we have NOT hit a wall where every mobile improvement is just some modest unimportant change. There is clearly still room for fantastic improvements.

I really like Google Now, its pretty neat, but the Nokia showing was that much more significant as well. I'm not buying that there wasn't anything left for Apple to create/experiment with. That reads like nonsense meant to appease me after their disappointing showing. Im still a long way from considering buying a WP8 device as a daily driver, but they have put so much pressure on everyone else. Googles switch to KLP is going to be HEAVILY judged by me at the end of this year. They had better have some neat new shit. If they pull a iPhone 5/iOS 6 I will fucking crucify them.

kazinova

SIDENOTE:

I was thinking about this for a while: whenever it would come up in conversation among my techie friends that I have a WP7 I would invariably have to defend my "poor" decision. I'd thought of the comeback that I always want to use but it would be beaten down by a healthy dose of "apps, specs, apps, etc.".

But now that in many respects the 920 seems to be a market leader and in other respects is at least hardware competitive with the iPhone 5 and top Android phones (for now) I think my argument stands on it's own merit finally.

It's hard for tech people, ones that are used to magazine-racing benchmarks and raw apples to apples comparisons, to grasp that I don't prefer my Focus to the iOS/Android slate of phones because of some specific technical detail.

I enjoy it because I enjoy it. (Woo tautology!)

I'm certainly frustrated that I don't have the latest tech in my Focus. I'm most definitely jealous when my iFriends have the latest must-have app and I don't even have a knockoff. But I've never been jealous of the boring skeuomorphic design or the laborious brain surgery you have to perform to have the latest OS version.

Now that I might finally have a competitive, drool-worthy, device in my pocket I finally get the chance to say: "specs don't matter". Which sounds like butt-hurt revisionism when you're on the bottom of the pile, but when you're at the top it's sounds much more authoritative.

I only think of this because I've been reading the comments section on The Verge and apparently fans of mobile OSes are only allowed to be dogmatic, insane, overly attached drones that cleave to tired phrases and jokes. Can we rise above that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest area Apple still kills the competition in is their GPU chips. They tend to be a generation beyond what everyone else is using concurrently. It's no contest in this area.

Izick

After watching the Apple presser yesterday, and seeing more about the Galaxy S3, I think I'm going to end up going with the Lumia 920 as my first ever smartphone.

A few weeks back I thought I was just going to auto-pick an iPhone, because I just picked up a Macbook Air and I figured I'd be tied into this ecosystem, but then after getting two defective Macbook Airs in a row, I think I'm just going to return it for a refund and Gaf has convinced me to build a gaming PC instead of just getting a PC laptop. So it'll be good to be tied into Windows 8 at home as well.

thirty

Banned
BTW, i finally got Crimson Dragon to download and wow, what a stunning looking game. amazing that it looks so great on my HD7 which is really using 3 yr old hardware first found in the first HTC Evo.

thirty

Banned
After watching the Apple presser yesterday, and seeing more about the Galaxy S3, I think I'm going to end up going with the Lumia 920 as my first ever smartphone.

A few weeks back I thought I was just going to auto-pick an iPhone, because I just picked up a Macbook Air and I figured I'd be tied into this ecosystem, but then after getting two defective Macbook Airs in a row, I think I'm just going to return it for a refund and Gaf has convinced me to build a gaming PC instead of just getting a PC laptop. So it'll be good to be tied into Windows 8 at home as well.

welcome, spend some time in http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

JaggedSac

If anyone wants or needs more Live friends for WP game leaderboards and such, shoot me a PM or just add me. My gamertag is JaggedSac. I need some more friends in order to get a couple of these Crimson Dragon skills related to leaderboards.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone wants or needs more Live friends for WP game leaderboards and such, shoot me a PM or just add me. My gamertag is JaggedSac. I need some more friends in order to get a couple of these Crimson Dragon skills related to leaderboards.

Sent you a friend request.

Magni

Really wish there were an MS store in Manhattan, I want to see the different 920s in person before choosing a color. I'm guessing there are going to be carrier-exclusive colors so I'd have to go to different carrier stores to see them all?

Also, confirmed that the unlocked version doesn't have T-Mo bands, right? No 3G or 4G? (I'm on their Monthly4G $30 plan right now)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really wish there were an MS store in Manhattan, I want to see the different 920s in person before choosing a color. I'm guessing there are going to be carrier-exclusive colors so I'd have to go to different carrier stores to see them all?

Also, confirmed that the unlocked version doesn't have T-Mo bands, right? No 3G or 4G? (I'm on their Monthly4G $30 plan right now)

Supposed to be two stores coming to Huntington Station and White Plains, not sure where those are exactly in New York though?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
*cough*

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ions/3061759-more-windows-phone-7-8-features-

We are truly floored over the excitement about future Windows Phone releases. Unfortunately our earlier response on this post was not well worded. We really do care about your feedback. This forum is intended to seek suggestions on future product features but it is not set up to take requests for specific product versions. We apologize for the confusion.

but they still care about WP7 users, right? right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom