• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

@antiquegamer: No, no other services (other than GFWL, but I don't care).
@frontieruk: They were all from MSN, and you can't filter your main account.

Really, it's a non-issue now with the new account.

RM8

I considered that, but at 300+ contacts and me simply not using that account for anything important I just created a new one in 3 minutes. Now my contact list has nothing but people who I actually talk to.

Milchjon

Not that bad besides coldfoot talking nonsense as always about Windows Phone. At least he (or she) should research before pulling false information out of nowhere.

Pretty sure he's a hardcore Apple fan. I don't even think his knowledge is his problem, it's his agenda.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
As someone who doesn't play many games on their phone I have to say that Crimson Dragon is pretty fun. Definitely worth the buck.

Fjolle

I just realized that the iPhone HD voice thing will probably push the rest of the danish carriers to activate it. My carrier has it, but it's pretty moot when my other Lumia using friends are on networks that doesn't support it.

Milchjon

My friend's switching to T-Mobile Germany for the iPhone, because LTE only works with them.

So I assumed the other carriers didn't have the technology in place. But nope, Apple just supports one frequency range (1800 MHz), while all other LTE devices on the market work with three and can be used with other carriers.

WTF.

MarkusRJR

I have a question for you guys. I've seemingly convinced my friend to switch over to the same carrier as me. He had a stupidly expensive plan for what he was getting. He has an unlocked Rogers Lumia 900 and he'll be moving over to Koodo Prepaid. The only thing stopping him from switching over is the 7.8 update. He told me device updates were locked to carriers and if he switched over he'd never get the 7.8 update. I asked this question here a while ago (I'm planning to buy an Lumia 820 unlocked but was wondering how updates worked then) but that was about a Windows Phone 8 device. Are Windows Phone 7 devices locked to when a carrier updates his phone?

So for example, he'd get the update when Rogers updates it or will there be a different factor now that he won't be using Rogers anymore? Will he not get the update like he told me? If it's the former he'd be able to change over to the new carrier with no problems right?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

If anyone can also tell me how this'll work for WP8 devices, that'd be nice too. I'm going to be buying an unlocked 820 and I'm still a bit confused for how that'll work update-wise.

I have a question for you guys. I've seemingly convinced my friend to switch over to the same carrier as me. He had a stupidly expensive plan for what he was getting. He has an unlocked Rogers Lumia 900 and he'll be moving over to Koodo Prepaid. The only thing stopping him from switching over is the 7.8 update. He told me device updates were locked to carriers and if he switched over he'd never get the 7.8 update. I asked this question here a while ago (I'm planning to buy an Lumia 820 unlocked but was wondering how updates worked then) but that was about a Windows Phone 8 device. Are Windows Phone 7 devices locked to when a carrier updates his phone?

So for example, he'd get the update when Rogers updates it or will there be a different factor now that he won't be using Rogers anymore? Will he not get the update like he told me? If it's the former he'd be able to change over to the new carrier with no problems right?

If anyone can also tell me how this'll work for WP8 devices, that'd be nice too. I'm going to be buying an unlocked 820 and I'm still a bit confused for how that'll work update-wise.

Is the phone still locked to the carrier?

For WP8, you can always opt out of waiting for carrier-testing of updates and do it yourself.

If you phone is unlock then you will get update directly from Microsoft via Zune. If your friend phone is no longer on contract, while it's not unlock I don't see why it would not get an update if and when 7.8 get push out by Roger but I am not entirely sure how that work.

It's easy to update Windows Phone anyway, all my phone have Tango on them even when At&t only push it out for Lumia devices.

edit: I didn't see you mention that his phone is unlock, if it is then he will just get update from Microsoft directly usually before the carrier.

Fjolle

Nokia has a lot of different devices.

If he has one from carrier X they need to approve the update before it gets pushed out. Then all their devices will get the update no matter what network they're on. For example my Lumia 800 that I use in Denmark got the tango update when T-mobile Germany accepted the update.

With WP8 Microsoft and Nokia will make one update and send it to all devices regardless of carriers.

MarkusRJR

Nokia has a lot of different devices.

If he has one from carrier X they need to approve the update before it gets pushed out. Then all their devices will get the update no matter what network they're on. For example my Lumia 800 that I use in Denmark got the tango update when T-mobile Germany accepted the update.

With WP8 Microsoft and Nokia will make one update and send it to all devices regardless of carriers.
So, similar to how iOS updates work?

Firestorm

My account is almost 10 years old. There are tons of contacts I don't even remember, with annoying user names and photos. And having to surf through them to find my father? Yeah, no. I'll keep my new phone-exclusive Live account, lol.
Heh I had the same issue. I deleted everyone I didn't talk to on MSN for the past couple of months. Went from 300+ contacts to 30 or so.

msv

Is it possible to use WP7(/8) with an offline account? As in that none of your personal data is being stored online anywhere?

venne

Is it possible to use WP7(/8) with an offline account? As in that none of your personal data is being stored online anywhere?

You can, but I am pretty sure you lose significant functionality if you don't link a Microsoft account.

I may be talking out of my ass, but I don't think you can access the store (thus, all applications not preinstalled) without one.

frontieruk

As this was a carrier device it'll get the 7.8 update when Rogers releases it, as the identifier will still be registered with Rogers on microsofts systems. An unlocked device that wasn't bought through a carrier would get it on ms rollouts.

hwalker84

yes.gif

Nokia get a pre-order link up stat!!!

MattDoza

My sister just said "ewww" when I showed her the Lumia 920. I don't love her anymore... She plans to get the iPhone 5 later this month.

Troll

Banned
pcrefreshmicrosoft.png

Microsoft is giving out a free PC, WP and Surface to each of their employees.

Now would be a good time for a stealth brag, Lastflowers.

Dead

well not really...yet
I can't make up my mind between Red and Yellow lol. Red is beautiful, but the Yellow one is just too awesome/unique

maeh2k

You don't see many bright yellow phones. Make it a reality.

It's not like you see many bright red phones, either :)

I love the 920 in both colors. While the red one might not work well with as many accent colors, you don't really need that many. I've only ever used two accent colors on my phone (blue and orange).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Bell will be getting back into Windows Phone. Apparently not the 920 though. I imagine they will get the Ativ and a HTC device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom