• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Might actually be true - though I still expect early November. Regardless ... I've got some great news for everyone!

WP8 has OFFICIALLY GONE GOLD

tumblr_m3wla3BZ9R1qbgtiuo1_400.gif

Please, please, please I hope the contracts feature made it in. *fingers crossed* we'll get the announcement of the rest of the features soon and they didn't cut any to make their deadline.

Commodore

Gone gold? No supposed delay at all? Those sly bastards.

SmHJz.gif

Really hoping for an Oct 920 launch. Looking like my kid will be born late Oct instead of early November. Love to take those first few shots with the new Lumia rather than my Focus.

Not to play Debbie Downer here, but just to put things into perspective:

Windows Phone “Mango” – Released to Manufacturing
26 Jul 2011

and it was released in October/November.

Apollo is really, really late. I'm not sure what to think of this.

Go back to your Android! Downer. Seriously though it is very late ... though I think that's a blessing for us here in the US since according to the report carrier won't have enough time to test and add their bloat ware to the phone.

And speaking of carrier, in preparation for iPhone 5, At&t has upgrade the tower and now I get signal even deep in the bowel of my hospital. No more turning off phone, or switching to plane mode, full 5 bar and fake 4G everywhere! Thanks Apple and Verizon ... competitor always good. Also LTE coming to my area by the end of the year!!

frontieruk

Go back to your Android! Downer. Seriously though it is very late ... though I think that's a blessing for us here in the US since according to the report carrier won't have enough time to test and add their bloat ware to the phone.

And speaking of carrier, in preparation for iPhone 5, At&t has upgrade the tower and now I get signal even deep in the bowel of my hospital. No more turning off phone, or switching to plane mode, full 5 bar and fake 4G everywhere! Thanks Apple and Verizon ... competitor always good. Also LTE coming to my area by the end of the year!!

fake 4g?

Biggzy

It's late in the sense of yearly updates go. However, this is more of a stealth re-boot considering they have changed the Kernel for wp8.

It's late in the sense of yearly updates go. However, this is more of a stealth re-boot considering they have changed the Kernel for wp8.

No, it's late in the sense that it's very fucking late. Mango/7.5 was released in the same time frame (Oct/Nov), so Microsoft is still in the same yearly update cycle.

Biggzy

No, it's late in the sense that it's very fucking late. Mango/7.5 was released in the same time frame (Oct/Nov), so Microsoft is still in the same yearly update cycle.

Of course it's late, but MS had no choice but to basically re-boot their operating system again. Because that is what wp8 basically is.

Of course it's late, but MS had no choice but to basically re-boot their operating system again. Because that is what wp8 basically is.

I know that very well. But less than two months from RTM to a shipping product doesn't seem to be enough. I don't want this to be a rush job with too many cut features.

Trickster

Quick question here. I know the lumia 820 can have it's backcover removed and replaced. But I haven't heard anything about whether you can do the same with the lumia 920.

I've pretty much settled on getting the lumia 920 as my first ever smartphone. Love that they're going for those bright colours for the backcovers, rather than the boring black/white/silver that all the other phone seem to have. But I'd love to have the option to change between the colours of the 920 backcover if they ever release new colours, or I simply want to change from red to yellow or vice versa.

JaggedSac

I foresee firmware issues out the ass. Could stall any good public momentum W8 and the 920 gain.

No, you cannot change the 920s body. Would need to buy a case or something.

Quick question here. I know the lumia 820 can have it's backcover removed and replaced. But I haven't heard anything about whether you can do the same with the lumia 920.

I've pretty much settled on getting the lumia 920 as my first ever smartphone. Love that they're going for those bright colours for the backcovers, rather than the boring black/white/silver that all the other phone seem to have. But I'd love to have the option to change between the colours of the 920 backcover if they ever release new colours, or I simply want to change from red to yellow or vice versa.

You can't replace the body of the 920. It's a unibody polycarbonate design.

Milchjon

It's a unibody construction, so no, you can't change the colors.

Edit: beaten to a pulp.

rozay

Banned
I know that very well. But less than two months from RTM to a shipping product doesn't seem to be enough. I don't want this to be a rush job with too many cut features.
Not only cut features, but a month and a half less of testing. I'll probably hold off for a week or three before picking up a Lumia.

I said that smartphone beta test a few pages back as a joke, but really, I see a lot of interest in the 920 from classmates, board members and friends who currently use other platforms. Buggy software or hardware at launch will kill all that interest.

thirty

Banned
I just wanted to let everyone know how much Bing maps has improved its navigation with the addition of navteq(?) data. last night there were freeway fires in LA and Bing navigated my way through a good 30% faster than if I would have followed directions on my friends' iphone or android. add "best navigation" to the bullet points.

Nander

IMO, you don't think about the color anymore after a short time.

And you could always get a rubber case/condom in another color.

I don't agree. I sure as hell think about the color every time I put my beautiful cyan N9 on the table during meetings at work and see how it stands out compared to everyone else's black phones.

And putting a case on an N9/a Lumia is a damn shame. You own the best piece of industrial design of the last decade, and you really want to put some shitty $5 cover on it? Madness! And the polycarbonate shell is constructed in such a way that it really doesn't get scratched (or at least so that the scratches are completely undectectable). I've had my N9 for a year now, and I've always had it naked, and apart from a couple of scratches on the metal around the camera it looks as good as new.

steelcity

Neo Member
I'm concerned that the RTM is just happening with the devices due in 1 month. Microsoft needs to knock this out of the park day 1 to gain traction. If WP8 is buggy with features cut your going to tank Nokia and lose faith from HTC and Samsung in one swoop. Also the media will have a field day with this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I just don't get how MS didn't see this coming. Put more people on the project if need be. They had to see hey we have to get the OS out in 2012, and can't afford to wait till 2013. You can't tell me earlier this year MS didn't see this coming.

It might end up being a non issue, but it shouldn't even remotely be a worry with MS' resources.

dLMN8R

I just don't get how MS didn't see this coming. Put more people on the project if need be. They had to see hey we have to get the OS out in 2012, and can't afford to wait till 2013. You can't tell me earlier this year MS didn't see this coming.

It might end up being a non issue, but it shouldn't even remotely be a worry with MS' resources.

9 pregnant women can't make a baby in one month.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Can we wait until its confirmed to be buggy and incomplete before we bitch at MS?

I think it's fair to complain that devs won't have enough time with the new SDK, but until launch happens, I don't see the point in complaining about Apollo.

frontieruk

Can we wait until its confirmed to be buggy and incomplete before we bitch at MS?

I think it's fair to complain that devs won't have enough time with the new SDK, but until launch happens, I don't see the point in complaining about Apollo.

Windows Phone |OT3| Bitchin' about Apollo?

JaggedSac

I don't think the OS will be buggy, it will be devices that haven't had time to properly test with the final code that will have little issues here and there. Hopefully that won't happen though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, although that makes the situation seem even worse as they had final code with that thing for a while if I am not mistaken.

Mango launched the previous October, they launched the phone in April and they still had issues. I think that, along with the launch of basically every smartphone ever (remember the 4S battery issues?) proves that buggy phones happen whether or not the software is finalized WAY in advance. It won't stop the piling on against MS if the 920 has significant bugs though.

And in a way, MS deserves some heat. It's clear they were pushing up against a ton of deadlines and they will have their partners rushing and app developers are frustrated. I'm just saying, let's wait until it actually plays out before pulling out the jumping to conclusions mat.

Klocker

ahhh... going Gray 920 (assuming ATT has in stock day 1. :)

can't wait, of course still need to hold in hand, hoping 4.5 (over 4.3 Focus S) is e perfect jump but that 4.8 Ativ deserves a look

thirty

Banned
I just ordered an Energizer Qi charging mat which is said to be compatible with the new Nokias. Amazon is selling the mat for a single device for $35 and the 2 device mat for $20. I figured these are on close out due to the poor reviews but will probably be gone before the release of the new Nokias. every review said the sleeves for iphone/droids are awful making the mat useless though reviews actually praise the mats themselves. for $20 I figure it would make a great office desk item.

UwxWN.jpg

strata8

Are live tile issues common? I've finally decided to use more than one or two live tiles and I just can't get them to work.

AU Weather (primary): Fine
AU Weather (secondary): Fine

Baconit (primary): Fine
Baconit (secondary): Nothing works, just static

NG Reader (primary): Back side shows story title, no unread count on front
NG Reader (secondary): No image, back side is completely blank

Less than half my tiles work at all. Everything is enabled in the app settings and the background processes are apparently running, but nothing happens. AU Weather is the only one that works as intended.

I thought Mango was supposed to fix this.

thirty

Banned
Are live tile issues common? I've finally decided to use more than one or two live tiles and I just can't get them to work.

AU Weather (primary): Fine
AU Weather (secondary): Fine

Baconit (primary): Fine
Baconit (secondary): Nothing works, just static

NG Reader (primary): Back side shows story title, no unread count on front
NG Reader (secondary): No image, back side is completely blank

Less than half my tiles work at all. Everything is enabled in the app settings and the background processes are apparently running, but nothing happens. AU Weather is the only one that works as intended.

I thought Mango was supposed to fix this.
yeah, they're normal. they do eventually fix themselves after a few hours ...or days.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, I realize that the magenta 920 is only available online through AT&T, meaning most people have never seen it in person. I ordered one for my mom a few weeks ago, her first smartphone. Here are some pics:

WP_000085.jpg

WP_000087.jpg

This is why I wish the 920 red and yellow were matte. So sexy.

Milchjon

TBH, I'm not even sure if a matte yellow had the same punch. Red could be awesome, sure. But I'm convinced they used prototypes of matte and glossy phones and decided accordingly. I made my piece with the gloss.

Now, the lack of cyan is another story.

Raistlin

Looks like I won't be selling my 900 after all. Last night it took a header on to rock face-first and shattered.

0_0

>_<

T_T

But ... backup Focus and insurance FTW. Took a few reboots to get the micro SIM to seat properly in the Sammy, but it's golden now. I'm stopping by AT&T tomorrow, hoping instead of a direct replacement for the 900 they can give me credit towards a 920. My plan was to sell the 900 once a PureView WP8 came along anyway ... so this might actually make things easier if they'll credit me.

MarkusRJR

I just got my dad hooked on Wordament. What are some similar games (on WP7, Xbox 360, or Wii)? This is the first game beyond Mario Kart my dad has enjoyed and I want to remove his "video games corrupt minds" attitude.

EDIT: Fuck, I would be on the bottom of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom