• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

I'll give JB the benefit of the doubt because it's an alpha version (front-facing camera isn't working, ffs), but if the freezes are still there in the final stable ROMs, I'm done with Android. Google has got enough passes from me, freaking mobile phones shouldn't need multiple CPUs and gobs of RAM just to run smoothly. I don't care about apps, just make your own damn OS run decently!
You are complaining about performance using a hacked non official rom on your phone? Ok then. :/

hwalker84

On a side note it seems AT&T is stress testing its future LTE deployment in Pittsburgh by using the Steelers games. I had LTE in the stadium during the whole game and was getting 20D/5U with 65,000 people around me. Awesome.

MarkusRJR

Do we have any idea when Nokia is going to announce the Zeal or the Flame? I just realized how expensive the 820 is probably going to be off contract.

PG2G

Do we have any idea when Nokia is going to announce the Zeal or the Flame? I just realized how expensive the 820 is probably going to be off contract.

Elop is giving a keynote at MWC 2013 (February) so I expect that to be the time we'll see announcements for some devices that will hit in Spring. There is potential for a CES announcement but I think MWC is a safer bet.

maeh2k

I think the 820 will be quite reasonably priced. With 8 GB, WVGA, no Gorilla Glass, they can't really charge too much. Of course, that will still be quite a bit of money.

The low-end phones won't be too far off, though. I suspect they will be really great in their class. They probably want to release low-end WP8 phones in China as soon as possible.

In an unrelated matter, I just checked amazon.com and noticed that the Galaxy S3 holds the six top spots for phones. The S3 is eight of the top ten phones. :)

Raistlin

If anyone has any interest in a new black 900 (AT&T) at a reasonable price, give me a PM.

According to people on XDA, unlock codes will be available early October (though who knows).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
right, it's just a metal looking texture on the back panel.

3465.IMG_5F00_5533_5F00_29190921.jpg

The chassis, including the speaker grille, is brushed aluminum.

Commodore

When exactly do the details for WP8 come out? I'm dying to see the feature set.

/nerd

Well Microsoft just announced a save the date for Oct 25th for Windows 8. Chances are, they reveal everything the week of the 25th. But if you're into absolutes, we will absolutely know about the whole feature set by November 2nd.
total guess

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's like talking to a wall sometimes.

Edit: I don't want to be mean, but the fact that the battery cover is plastic has already been mentioned several times. The only question is whether there is any metal, as some posters seemed to allude that there wasn't any. There is, in the chassis and speaker grille.

You said chassis

Because there IS metal in the chassis, including the outer edges and the speaker grille.

giga

From what I gathered in the original blog post about the only metal parts being buttons and speakers, correct. But yeah, either way, who gives a shit because no one should get a samsung.

bedlamite

You are complaining about performance using a hacked non official rom on your phone? Ok then. :/

I couldn't care less about official ROMs, I detest Sense and every hacked de-Sensed ROM I've thrown on runs more reliably and faster than stock. FWIW I'm using Kang's CM10 which has pretty everything sorted except for front-facing camera functionality. It's a beta but Jellybean works well and that was what I was most looking forward to. There's still those niggling little freeze-ups when moving between homescreens that I had hoped Butter would finally resolve. I'm a little disappointed that the lag isn't completely been ironed out, but like I said, I'm holding off judgement until I install a stable ROM, or hey, maybe even stock.

JimiNutz

Banned
From what I gathered in the original blog post about the only metal parts being buttons and speakers, correct. But yeah, either way, who gives a shit because no one should get a Samsung.

Why?
The last 4 phones that I've owned were Samsung (using an Omnia 7 to post this) and they've all been absolute tanks in terms of reliability.
Ive dropped my Omnia 7 a ridiculous number of times and nearly two years on and its still running perfectly.

On the flip side the first 3 phones I ever owned were all Nokia (this is over 10 years ago now) and every single one of them developed problems after 6 months or so.
My 3210 used to just randomly freeze and them turn itself off so id be walking around for hours unaware that my phone was off.

I know that's just my personal experience and Nokia are probably a lot more reliable now, but I'm still struggling to bring myself to buy another Nokia based on past experience.

Ativ S looks like a solid phone all around and so long as it doesn't come out and get awful reviews I think I'll take the Ativ S over the 920.

frontieruk

Why?
The last 4 phones that I've owned were Samsung (using an Omnia 7 to post this) and they've all been absolute tanks in terms of reliability.
Ive dropped my Omnia 7 a ridiculous number of times and nearly two years on and its still running perfectly.

On the flip side the first 3 phones I ever owned were all Nokia (this is over 10 years ago now) and every single one of them developed problems after 6 months or so.
My 3210 used to just randomly freeze and them turn itself off so id be walking around for hours unaware that my phone was off.

I know that's just my personal experience and Nokia are probably a lot more reliable now, but I'm still struggling to bring myself to buy another Nokia based on past experience.

Ativ S looks like a solid phone all around and so long as it doesn't come out and get awful reviews I think I'll take the Ativ S over the 920.

My mum only replaced her 3210 a few months ago, that's the kind of experience most Nokia users get.

Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes not.

Take me, for example. 6230 was fine and dandy, if getting a bit old by 2009. The N95 crashed all the time. Switched to Samsung in 2010, but now my Galaxy S acts like the N95. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimse you don't. Other times, it's just the software and hardware can't catch up to the modern age.

Anyway, when you buy a phone, you should consider the phone on its own merits without bothering about the future - you should buy based on current needs and not worry too much about software updates. Even if a phone can't be updated much, if the phone's functional, there's no real reason to. Do also give weight to the phone manufacturer and carrier, though the manufacturer ideally shouldn't be much of a factor.

JimiNutz

Banned
My mum only replaced her 3210 a few months ago, that's the kind of experience most Nokia users get.
Wow. Really?
Suppose I was just unlucky then. Still find it hard to trust Nokia phones though. Maybe I'll change my mind if the 920 ends up being that much better than the Ativ S.

NeOak

Wow. Really?
Suppose I was just unlucky then. Still find it hard to trust Nokia phones though. Maybe I'll change my mind if the 920 ends up being that much better than the Ativ S.
Pretty much. I still used my dad's old 6230 when i wanted an indestructible rock for a phone. Nevermind that the battery lasted days without recharge.

It was stolen unfortunately when burglars broke in to my apartment.

I had a Nokia N75, a E71 and a N97 mini. Those were, in terms of hardware build, unmatchable. Specially the E71, that thing is a tank.

Pretty much. I still used my dad's old 6230 when i wanted an indestructible rock for a phone. Nevermind that the battery lasted days without recharge.

It was stolen unfortunately when burglars broke in to my apartment.

I had a Nokia N75, a E71 and a N97 mini. Those were, in terms of hardware build, unmatchable. Specially the E71, that thing is a tank.

Oh my sweet 6230! You'll be dearly missed.

Heh. Gotta agree with you on their durability, aside from the N95, which was... well... egad.

It's sooooooo ugly, it pains me every time I see it.

I've seen the Galaxy S III in person, and I've seen it being used. The sound effects... egad. The appearance of the phone... can't even avoid getting in the crosshairs of lawsuits, in addition to being completely at odds with other phones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yeah, uh, what?

i said the back panel wasn't metal and it isn't. the GS3 has a little bit of metal between the screen and back panel too, so that's not a change.

NtFpk.jpg

Are you sure that's metal? Looks like the same painted plastic found on the edges of the Ativ S that I pointed out above with a question mark.

i just need a date for the windows phone 8 re-reveal with all features. and loads of "joe belfiore talking enthusiastically about the product while smooth music plays" youtube videos

zedge

Are you sure that's metal? Looks like the same painted plastic found on the edges of the Ativ S that I pointed out above with a question mark.

Actually owning one here, seems like metal to me.

I've seen the Galaxy S III in person, and I've seen it being used. The sound effects... egad. The appearance of the phone... can't even avoid getting in the crosshairs of lawsuits, in addition to being completely at odds with other phones.

Sound effects can be turned off, changed, whatever. How is it at odds with other phones? Because its selling by the tens of millions and they are not? ;) And the addition of the s3 to that lawsuit is for core android functionality afaik.

kazinova

Windows Phone 8 is never coming out, that's why.

Certainly feels like it. I understand how important it was for Nokia to get 920 specs out there before the iPhone 5 announcement, especially considering what the iPhone 5 turned out to be. But the wait placed on the consumer (read: me) is painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom