• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I won't be selling my 900 after all. Last night it took a header on to rock face-first and shattered.

0_0

>_<

T_T

But ... backup Focus and insurance FTW. Took a few reboots to get the micro SIM to seat properly in the Sammy, but it's golden now. I'm stopping by AT&T tomorrow, hoping instead of a direct replacement for the 900 they can give me credit towards a 920. My plan was to sell the 900 once a PureView WP8 came along anyway ... so this might actually make things easier if they'll credit me.

Ouch! But why was it hitting a rock in the first place? Even the toughest piece of glass is not rock-proof.

hwalker84

I just ordered an Energizer Qi charging mat which is said to be compatible with the new Nokias. Amazon is selling the mat for a single device for $35 and the 2 device mat for $20. I figured these are on close out due to the poor reviews but will probably be gone before the release of the new Nokias. every review said the sleeves for iphone/droids are awful making the mat useless though reviews actually praise the mats themselves. for $20 I figure it would make a great office desk item.

UwxWN.jpg

Good idea. Bought!

EDIT: Bought 2

Raistlin

Ouch! But why was it hitting a rock in the first place? Even the toughest piece of glass is not rock-proof.
Was at a backyard concert/party lined up to get BBQ ... and just my luck there happened to be a rock on the lawn directly where it landed at my feet :\

I should play the lotto tonight.

Does anyone know how to factory reset a Lumia 900 with a busted screen?

For example, is there a way to do it from Zune?

That should work:
Step 1. With the phone switched off, press and hold the volume down, camera and power buttons (the only one not to press is the volume up button which is closest to the top of the handset).

Step 2. Your phone will vibrate. Release the power button (the middle of the three) but continue to hold the other two for five seconds.

Step 3. The smarphone will reset and will be restored to factory settings.

Raistlin

Yeah I found that - thanks though.

The problem is actually getting the phone to go off. I think holding the power button ~10 seconds does it ... but it seems like that is actually a soft reset instead of a power off like on my Focus.

I attempted the hard reset a number of times and think it worked. Hooking it up to Zune stated I needed to finish setup on the phone so I should be set.

Subitai

When can we start expecting the marketing campaign leaks to start dripping out?

Also, I can't remember, but did the ads for the 900 help at all?

RM8

I just got my dad hooked on Wordament. What are some similar games (on WP7, Xbox 360, or Wii)? This is the first game beyond Mario Kart my dad has enjoyed and I want to remove his "video games corrupt minds" attitude.

EDIT: Fuck, I would be on the bottom of the page.
Mario Kart is such a father magnet. My father still plays Mario Kart and nothing but Mario Kart, either 64 or Wii.

Guys, guys, recommend me games. Games for a handheld-snob, phone-gaming-skeptic like me. Crimson Dragon is really nice, for example.

When can we start expecting the marketing campaign leaks to start dripping out?

Also, I can't remember, but did the ads for the 900 help at all?
The beta phone crap? No.

The best thing they did was paid Att sale associate to recommend Windows Phone and gave them out.

strata8

How much of a performance difference is there between first and second gen phones? My Omnia 7 tends to lag a bit in some third-party apps.

I'm really happy that Windows Phone finally uses up-to-date tech. There was absolutely no excuse for the late 2010 phones to be using 2008 technology.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How much of a performance difference is there between first and second gen phones? My Omnia 7 tends to lag a bit in some third-party apps.

I'm really happy that Windows Phone finally uses up-to-date tech. There was absolutely no excuse for the late 2010 phones to be using 2008 technology.

and yet, it's still smoother than most Android phones on the market right now.

bedlamite

Threw on a Jellybean ROM on my dualcore Sensation, it still has minor hitches when flicking through homescreens. I don't think i've ever seen lag on my Lumia

bedlamite

project butter lol

I'll give JB the benefit of the doubt because it's an alpha version (front-facing camera isn't working, ffs), but if the freezes are still there in the final stable ROMs, I'm done with Android. Google has got enough passes from me, freaking mobile phones shouldn't need multiple CPUs and gobs of RAM just to run smoothly. I don't care about apps, just make your own damn OS run decently!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

2nd Gen phones handle third party apps better and games run better as well.

Also, how much has Nokia changed the game when WP versions of android's flagship phones suddenly seem stale? Wow.

I would've killed for these Samsung and HTC phones three weeks ago.

Edit: also, didn't HTC talk about the problem with windows phone being that oem's wouldn't put their best effort in it? I hope they don't define best effort as adding a second led light. I can't wait for their conference.

MarkusRJR

For any of you using unlocked WP7 devices, does the carrier name on the phone icon change when you change carriers? I'm curious if it'll always stay the same even if I change carriers.

strata8

For any of you using unlocked WP7 devices, does the carrier name on the phone icon change when you change carriers? I'm curious if it'll always stay the same even if I change carriers.

It should... mine did at least. I switched from Optus to Amaysim and the name on the phone went from 'YES OPTUS' to 'amaysim'.

Unfortunately the phone is branded so I still get the huge Optus logo when I boot up.

hwalker84

It should... mine did at least. I switched from Optus to Amaysim and the name on the phone went from 'YES OPTUS' to 'amaysim'.

Unfortunately the phone is branded so I still get the huge Optus logo when I boot up.
Same. My Samsung focus changed from ATT to tmobile when I let my fiancé use it.

frontieruk

2nd Gen phones handle third party apps better and games run better as well.

Also, how much has Nokia changed the game when WP versions of android's flagship phones suddenly seem stale? Wow.

I would've killed for these Samsung and HTC phones three weeks ago.

Edit: also, didn't HTC talk about the problem with windows phone being that oem's wouldn't put their best effort in it? I hope they don't define best effort as adding a second led light. I can't wait for their conference.

Well htc's best effort is to bring the One series to wp so basically parity with android hardware, and as htc's support for their handsets has been lacklustre I'm going to the 920 next gen.

Have any of the HTC phones on at&t gotten the tango update?

Nope, they don't even get firmware update ... the Titan has such a shitty call.

After Nokia firmware, the speaker sound nice and loud even louder than my Titan. On that note I probably will end up with Nokia phone because at least they care enough to update the firmware.

Milchjon

HTC leak looks fake, I don't see the camera button.

You made me go back to Ubuntu Life and I saw their slogan:

"#1 Fastest growing tech blog on entire web specifically concentrating on Ubuntu"

That's exactly what I imagined an Ubuntu fan's writing to be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom