• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

Wasnt meant as a troll. :/

Wasn't really aiming at you, you were just the last in line talking about metal in Samsung phones after the 'discussion' about the ativ s frame being metal. Vans been a bit grumpier than usual I think.

All that stuff made me feel like I'm buying a Nokia phone, not a Windows phone for some reason. That might be a good thing.

At the moment Nokia is really the only player in windows phone, HTC and Sammy are more focused on android and basically pay lip service to ms by releasing rehashes of handsets.

zchen

For those of you guys with more experience. is the lack of microSD slot on phone a big deal these days? That is the one thing I don't like about the 920, but maybe it's as a big of problem as I think it is.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For those of you guys with more experience. is the lack of microSD slot on phone a big deal these days? That is the one thing I don't like about the 920, but maybe it's as a big of problem as I think it is.

Its a very personal question. I sync video and audio podcasts, music playlists, and video to my phone, plus download a lot of apps and games. For me, 16gb isn't enough, but 32gb should be fine. If Nokia had chosen 16gb, I'd be looking more closely at the Ativ S.

It really depends on how you are going to use it. I could easily fill up 32gb if I wanted to put ALL of my music on my phone, but I don't think that I will. I am also not a huge app user/gamer, so it doesn't concern me. Combine that with the media streaming features of WP8, 32gb is fine with me. 16gb would have been unacceptable.

maeh2k

@Reuters: Microsoft has signed a licensing agreement with BlackBerry manufacturer Research in Motion. More soon on http://Reuters.com.

Looks like it's time for another platform reset. Microsoft is going with BB10 ;)

Doubt anything big will come out of this. RIM isn't going to use WP when BB10 is almost ready. Maybe some enterprise stuff.

EDIT: turns out it's a file system...

@asymco: Microsoft licenses only a file system to RIM.

exFat

Tapiozona

Banned
So I think I'm confused. Last week Nokia announced a Spotify like streaming music app. I assumed it would be like Spotify. I could pick the songs I want and create my own playlists. Did I assume wrong or am I doing something wrong? That Nokia music app doesn't do anything more than Pandora does, i.e. Internet radio.

All that stuff made me feel like I'm buying a Nokia phone, not a Windows phone for some reason. That might be a good thing.

But you are buying a Nokia phone.

In case you didn't notice:
Samsung-Focus-S-ATT-Back.jpg

ZTE-Tania-Windows-Phone-Back_thumb.jpg

Fujitsu-Toshiba-IS12T-Black-back.jpg

HTC-Titan-back.jpg

nokia-lumia-800-back.jpg

Has the Lumia been handled outside of pressers? Cause labeling can change by the time it's inside of boxes.

The Lumias never had the Windows phone branding. That picture shows the back of the lumia 800.

Here's the rest:

e: Xbox Music info from the gaming side:

The time has come... Microsoft is winding down its Zune brand and turning a new leaf as Xbox Music. This global relaunch represents Microsoft's move to make the games console the entertainment hub of the home, similar to what Sony Playstation did with their Music Unlimited service. The revamped service will offer free-to-user advertising-funded streaming, a single tier dual subscription streaming service, a scan-and-match locker service and ALC downloads.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491948

kehs

Banned
Ah ok, cool.

hwalker: They make good screens, I can't think of any single smartphone from LG that was heralded as being good. I did have an awesome flipphone from them was bullet proof though.

PG2G

I didn't realize Tom Warren posted on NeoGAF. Now we have someone to harass when Instagram doesn't come to WP by the end of the year :p

ChanHuk

Banned
http://wmpoweruser.com/lg-confirms-they-are-out-of-the-windows-phone-game/

Honest question... Do they even make good phones? The Quantum was my first WP7 device and I hated it. Got it off Craigslist to test out WP7 ended up selling it in eBay and making a profit.

They're a second tier phone manufacturer. I know of one person with an LG phone. A G2x, that was discontinued after like 6 months of being on the shelf. They should stick to just providing LCDs to Apple, wait doesn't Sharp make screens for Apple now?

PG2G

Anyone else hoping for a nugget or two of WP8 information to come out of tomorrow's press conference?

*fingers crossed*

thirty

Banned
I got my $20 Qi charger yesterday. it looks to be well made using cheap feeling parts. it isn't as ugly as I thought it would be and is thinner than I thought. the underneath has cut outs of the plastic that reveal metal plating directly under where you place the phones. the unit is also raised from the surface a bit, I am assuming for airflow. guess the charger and me will wait 5-6 weeks.

Milchjon

I think I've asked this before, but I can't find the answers anymore:

How do I migrate my phone from one PC to another without risking any data (apps, music, photos...)? Especially since not all of the music on it is on the new laptop, too?

kehs

Banned
I've been using pentile screens since google first hired me to shill android with the N1, and I only really noticed it about two weeks ago. The screen was about ten inches from my face. Do people really hold their devices that close to their face?

I've been using pentile screens since google first hired me to shill android with the N1, and I only really noticed it about two weeks ago. The screen was about ten inches from my face. Do people really hold their devices that close to their face?

The grid is obvious when you look at the on screen buttons or the notification bar.

Dunno, I love the black levels and the "floating" tiles on my Lumia 800. I can live with pentile.

One of the reasons I never got the Omnia 7. Pentile at that resolution is even worse. You can literally count the missing pixels. Kinda like I can count the pixels on my OG iPad, because of the bad pixel density.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've been using pentile screens since google first hired me to shill android with the N1

Ah, those were the good old days. I sold my iPhone, bought the N1, and joined that small OT with like 4 regulars, including gcubed and mercury fred if I remember correctly. I still have that little phone. It's my wireless modem.

hwalker84

I got my $20 Qi charger yesterday. it looks to be well made using cheap feeling parts. it isn't as ugly as I thought it would be and is thinner than I thought. the underneath has cut outs of the plastic that reveal metal plating directly under where you place the phones. the unit is also raised from the surface a bit, I am assuming for airflow. guess the charger and me will wait 5-6 weeks.
Got mine today even though I picked the slowest shipping option.

Doffen

One of the reasons I never got the Omnia 7. Pentile at that resolution is even worse. You can literally count the missing pixels. Kinda like I can count the pixels on my OG iPad, because of the bad pixel density.

I try not to bother, but it's actually extremely annoying when I'm designing my apps.

Nokia said from day 1 that they have much more access to the OS than other OEMs. In return they're contributing to the entire ecosystem.

Well everything they do is exclusive to Lumia devices, so it's not really the entire ecosystem.

I thought an ESPN Fantasy Football app wouldn't be too much to ask for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom