• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I lol'ed at this. 30% of the worldwide market won't take a phone without a keyboard according to Tomi Ahonen.

Thats how many millions?

Acoording to gcubed his number is shit.

Firestorm... I have that phone its just not touch. Didn't know. The OS is terrible to use with touch though, from my experience... although I have no experience with qnx.

Milchjon

WhatsApp is finally getting closer to the other versions. Smileys, more Group functions (Group mute, yay) and it's localized in German.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
why doesn't everyone just delete The Verge from their bookmarks? it's not like they offer anything over other similar sites.
not on my bookmarks. just in the way.
I'd say it'd be a good thing for us as Canadians. RIM will be dead if left alone and we have too much invested in them.

Basically I just want a Bold 9900 running Windows Phone and my pension to exist when I get old so make it happen Microsoft!
no. i don't know who invested over 5mill dollars in RIM but they shouldve known it was a gable from the start. investing in tech is dangerous.
I lol'ed at this. 30% of the worldwide market won't take a phone without a keyboard according to Tomi Ahonen.

Thats how many millions?
let keyboards die.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I won a Titan II from the "embarrass Microsoft Hardware" competition

It's really, *really* nice. And this is coming from a guy who just bought a One X. It's a refreshing change of pace from a steady Android/iOS/WebOS diet. I like it a whole lot.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I won a Titan II from the "embarrass Microsoft Hardware" competition

It's really, *really* nice. And this is coming from a guy who just bought a One X. It's a refreshing change of pace from a steady Android/iOS/WebOS diet. I like it a whole lot.

join the dark side.

we have an awesome OP.

Tapiozona

Banned
The Microsoft store gave me a Titan II because my Titan had the muffled voice issue...I love the fact that the Titan II works properly and I love the camera but holy crap this phone is huge. The original Titan was sleek and sexy and very thin relative to it's enormous size.

The Titan II is fat and looks cheap in comparison, It's probably 50%+ thicker than the original Titan.. I was really hoping they'd give me a Lumia 900. Now to find someone who wants to trade a Lumia for a Titan II or see if someone will buy it for 450 on craigslist.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The Microsoft store gave me a Titan II because my Titan had the muffled voice issue...I love the fact that the Titan II works properly and I love the camera but holy crap this phone is huge. The original Titan was sleek and sexy and very thin relative to it's enormous size.

The Titan II is fat and looks cheap in comparison, It's probably 50%+ thicker than the original Titan.. I was really hoping they'd give me a Lumia 900. Now to find someone who wants to trade a Lumia for a Titan II or see if someone will buy it for 450 on craigslist.

Good luck. Here's hoping you at least break even.

JaggedSac

Was your Titan one you had gotten on contract through AT&T? Just curious if I can go to a MS store and get an upgrade to the Titan 2 if I complain about the muffled voice issue.

Was your Titan one you had gotten on contract through AT&T? Just curious if I can go to a MS store and get an upgrade to the Titan 2 if I complain about the muffled voice issue.

Yeah I was thinking about doing the same thing. Don't like the idea of it being much thicker though, I like the thinness of the Titan right now.

Tapiozona

Banned
I got it on contract but from the Microsoft store. My first phone had the same issue and they replaced it. Second one had the same problem but this time they gave me the Titan II even though I declined the special warranty and I've had this phone for 4 months.

All in all the MS store is pretty damn awesome. Just wish they would have given me a lumia. Oh well, the more I use the titan II, the more I like it. They really did fix all the minor things which I didn't like with the original. Too bad they made it so fat. (though in defense of the phone, the sloping bottom bezel does minimize how thick it is. People who haven't seem both the phones won't call the titan II fat by any means but those of us who were amazed by the thickness of the original will.

Almost forgot to mention... The animations on the titan II have changed. Things are more fluid animations fade rather than abruptly ending. Hard to explain but its very noticable. I personally like the change. There's a few subtle changes which I can't quite pinpoint just yet but they'll dawn on me eventually.

hwalker84

Since I got mine in Boston the regional deal there is the phone is $49.99. When I got back home I found out that Pittsburghs deal is $100 of free accessories. I went to the store and since I payed $50 they gave me that amount n free accessories.

MCD

What's the matter with WhatsApp notifications? Works great?!

IM apps or chats in general are fast. We need a whole page to catch on all missed notifications because as of now, once you miss one you will never know what it was unless you enter the app.

Which in turn defeats the whole purpose of glance and go.

frontieruk

As I'm still new to all this, is there a way to jailbreak these phones (particularly Titan 2)?

Not yet, but tbh there's not a lot you can do with a jailbroken handset ATM, the best things are you can do in no order.
  • SMS backup
  • Custom themes
  • Long ass work around for folders
  • side load apps via ie

*edit first gen HTC phones are jailbroken DFT are working on the 2nd gen

Boogie9IGN

Ahh alright. I'm only really interested in custom themes and being able to take a screenshot of the damn screen. I searched google for an app to do this but everything said I'd need chevronwp7 to unlock and etc etc so I figured I may as well just jailbreak the thing if I could

Firestorm

no. i don't know who invested over 5mill dollars in RIM but they shouldve known it was a gable from the start. investing in tech is dangerous.
Canadian Pension Plan :(
Acoording to gcubed his number is shit.

Firestorm... I have that phone its just not touch. Didn't know. The OS is terrible to use with touch though, from my experience... although I have no experience with qnx.
I used it as my primary phone for about 5 months last year. It's definitely a touch screen and I used the keyboard and touchscreen in conjunction often.

I got it on contract but from the Microsoft store. My first phone had the same issue and they replaced it. Second one had the same problem but this time they gave me the Titan II even though I declined the special warranty and I've had this phone for 4 months.

All in all the MS store is pretty damn awesome. Just wish they would have given me a lumia. Oh well, the more I use the titan II, the more I like it. They really did fix all the minor things which I didn't like with the original. Too bad they made it so fat. (though in defense of the phone, the sloping bottom bezel does minimize how thick it is. People who haven't seem both the phones won't call the titan II fat by any means but those of us who were amazed by the thickness of the original will.

Almost forgot to mention... The animations on the titan II have changed. Things are more fluid animations fade rather than abruptly ending. Hard to explain but its very noticable. I personally like the change. There's a few subtle changes which I can't quite pinpoint just yet but they'll dawn on me eventually.

It also have a much better camera (not that the one on Titan 1 was bad). I didn't feel that the phone was that much thicker than the first but I didn't play with it for very long.

The curve part is really nice I think it help minimize your palm from touching the screen. I am thinking about exchange my Titan (data connection problem) and hope they will trade me Titan 2, since Titan 1 is EOL). I talk to a guy at At&t yesterday and he said to call customer service and ask for warranty and they should just send me a new phone since it's only been a few months.

frontieruk

Ahh alright. I'm only really interested in custom themes and being able to take a screenshot of the damn screen. I searched google for an app to do this but everything said I'd need chevronwp7 to unlock and etc etc so I figured I may as well just jailbreak the thing if I could

I jailbroke my hd7 just to see what the rom cookers would do with the freedom of a fully unlocked device, apart from the SMS backup I've been disappointed.

The home brew scene is almost none existent, for all the hype regarding the Chevron unlock it seems people were either more interested in apps for their specific needs or for more nefarious reasons.

nb2eD.png

Third time's a charm.

With Windows Phone 8, Microsoft attempts to unify the code base for their desktop and mobile operating systems.

The OS is now based on the same NT kernel as Windows 8 and finally brings support for modern CPUs, new resolutions, native code, NFC, MicroSD cards and full VOIP integration.

Despite the massive underlying changes, the unique look and feel of the previous version remains the same. Features like Live Tiles and Hubs were improved, new features were added and almost all of the 120,000 Windows Phone 7 apps work flawlessly.

qTVd8.png

In the new version of Windows Phone, Microsoft refined the start screen experiences to make it much more customizable and personal.

Just like in the previous versions of Windows Phone, you can pin your apps, contacts, pictures, videos or even just specific features of one app.

Instead of having a single, uniform size, live tiles now have three different sizes available.

a1EkK.png

The information displayed on a live tile will dynamically change based on tile size. For example, the large Mail tile will give me my total unread count, as well as a preview of the most recent e-mail. As you decrease it in size, extra details (like the preview) are hidden, but the most important information (unread mail count) is still displayed.

To switch between tiles sizes, long press on any tile to enter the Start screen "edit" mode. From here, you can:

* Rearrange tiles

* Resize tiles

* Remove tiles

Start is the home screen reimagined—Live Tiles keep you caught up on everything from your sister's texts to your next meeting and Live Apps dish up news, deals, and more.

bqGwd.png

The development on the Zune desktop client was effectively stopped two years ago and with the discontinuation of the Zune brand, Microsoft decided to completely ditch the Zune software in favor of a lighter, but less capable syncing client. 

The Windows Phone tool, as the new client is called, lets you sync your music, videos and pictures. 

Features
  • Get your music, photos, and videos from your computer to your phone (and vice versa).
  • Import from iTunes
  • Quickly share things from your phone with Windows 8 apps (like Photos, or Search). You don’t even have to open the Windows Phone app to move things around.
  • Automatically save photos and videos you take with your phone to your PC.
  • See at a glance how much space you’re using for each type of content, so it’s easy to make sure you never run out of room on your phone.

While some users favor the light Active Sync-like client, dropped features like wireless sync and podcast management 

SKHhv.png

Bing for Mobile gives you access to our popular Bing daily home page. Just tap in the search box to display the soft keyboard and, as you begin typing a search term, Bing will automatically make suggestions based on your favorites, search history and popular search terms on the Web today.

shRCt.jpg

The Bing home page changes daily, providing new images with hotspots that you can tap on to help you discover fun facts. You’ll also see your present location, telling you that Bing knows where you are and is ready to deliver location-aware search results.
In Windows Phone 7.5, Microsoft enhanced Bing Search by putting buttons, such as Local Scout, Bing Music, Bing Vision and Voice Search, at the bottom of the screen.

7hQiK.png

Ever wonder why Ben the 'PC Guy' always picks finding a local restaurant as as speed challenge in #smokedbywindowsphone? Local Scout is why, this feature comes pinned to the start menu on all new windows phones and is a way to find things of local interest without having to type anything.

Hi0ep.png

Tapping on Local Scout either from the start menu or from the search page gets your windows phone connecting to GPS and the 'net to pull sites of interest to your phone, once it's worked out your location it returns results for Eat + Drink, See + Do, Shop and Highlights.

Tapping any result within Local Scout will bring up an information card for that result, which will contain useful information such as the Venues contact details,
reviews of the venue (if available), the option to get directions to the venue from your current location and a link to the venues website (if available).

Local Scout is available here:
Australia, France, United Kingdom and United States​
and only on devices with 512mb memory or more.

3sXQm.png

This can only be accessed from the search page by tapping the Eighth note (quaver) icon, tapping this icon and holding your phone to a music source your phone will recognise the song and then allow you to open the Zune music marketplace to buy/download the album/song. Not quite as capable as Shazam or Soundhound it's a nice feature to be available.

G11Og.png

Microsoft saw fit to include a barcode / Microsoft Tags / QR code text reader straight in at OS level, this allows for some cool usage as barcodes and QR codes are all around use now.

Using the phones camera to scan a products barcode you can check instore prices against those online, comparison results are provided by Ciao!

QR codes are commonly being used for advertising campaigns now, to save people having to type a web address you just scan the QR code and get linked to the website, other uses are for contact details, time tables basically anything that's quicker to scan than type can be put into a code.

Vision search also supports OCR which can be used in a couple of ways this first being you can scan a news article from your morning paper, after scanning the article Bing will bring up the web version of the article for easy reading on the go.

7Ha5j.png

The feature will work with over 30,000 publications. Hopefully chances are almost every major publication you can think of will supports the service.

The other way the OCR can be used is to translate text, once in vision search tapping scan while the camera is over text will take a photo of the text, if the OCR is good and the language is recognized you will get the option to translate the text.

Vision search is only available in these regions:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom and United States.​

lph2H.png

Voice search is available from the search hub, tapping on the microphone icon will activate voice search which can interact with Local Scout if the search is considered to be a search for an activity / event i.e.

saying "Bowling" would open a web search about bowling

saying "Bowling in Boston" would open the Local Scout Panorama and show bowling lanes there.​

Voice Search is only available in the regions :
Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and United States.​

tellme.png

Tellme is Microsofts equivalent of Apples Siri. The service can be accessed from anywhere by pressing and holding the Windows key.

commands you can use are :-

Call
usage "Call Mom at home" would start calling your Mom at home (if you had saved the number as contact Mom or added the nickname Mom to the real name contact)​

Find
usage "Find neogaf" would open the Bing Web panorama with links about / to NeoGaf​
usage "Find pizza" will open the Windows Phone 7 Local Scout panorama showing pizzerias in the local area.​

Open
usage "open 4th and Mayor" would launch the 4th and Mayor App (if installed).​

Text
"Text Dad" "Fancy playing some golf this weekend" "send" sends a text to your Dad contact.​

CtTKd.png

Xbox Music is Microsoft’s new all-in-one music service, specially designed to let users listen to music in exactly the way they want. It combines the best aspects of free-streaming radio, music subscription services and music purchasing options, all in one elegant package

With Xbox Music you can access your music collection from any screen, combined with unique social features. It includes a music store for song downloads, music subscription offering, artist-based radio and a great cross-screen client for your personal music collections.

• Xbox Music Pass. Want unlimited access to the songs and artists you care about, including offline access? Get an Xbox Music Pass for ad-free, unlimited playback of any track in our subscription catalog across your tablet, PC, phone and Xbox 360 for US$9.99 per month. Xbox Music Pass also unlocks unlimited access to tens of thousands of music videos on your Xbox 360.
  • Xbox Music Store. Want to own the music you love? The Xbox Music Store is a comprehensive MP3 marketplace giving you the opportunity to purchase a single track or entire album on your Windows 8 or Windows RT tablet or PC and Windows Phone 8.
  • Smart DJ. Creating a new form of artist-based radio, the Smart DJ feature is a quick and dynamic way to personalize your collection, discover new favorites and create ultimate playlists by launching instant mixes based on your favorite artists. With unlimited skips and a view of the full recommended music stream, Smart DJ puts you in control of your Internet radio experience.
  • Cloud Storage. Available in the coming year, a scan-and-match feature will take you beyond the 30 million tracks globally offered through Xbox Music. It will add all the music you own to your Xbox Music cloud catalog, including music acquired through other services. This means you can add almost any content you have to your personal Xbox Music collection, even if it’s not available in the Xbox Music catalog.
  • Free streaming music on Windows 8 and Windows RT. Enjoy on-demand access to tens of millions of songs for free on all Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets and PCs. Discovering and enjoying free music on Windows 8 and Windows RT is as easy as typing an artist or song name and hitting “play” — songs are instantly available to stream and for you to create an unlimited amount of playlists.
  • Social Music. Xbox Music will add unique social features in the coming year that let you share your music experiences with friends and family.

Xmg0L.png

Xbox Music Pass:
The Zune Music Pass subscription service offers unlimited music streaming and is available in following countries:
USA ($9,99 per month)
Canada ($9.99)
Australia ($11.99)
UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Austria (£8.99 / €9.99 per month)​

Xbox Music:
The Zune Music marketplace offers over 30 million songs and is available in:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, and United States​

Xbox Video:
Video purchase is available in:
US, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia and New Zealand​
Movie rental is available in:
US, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, Australia and New Zealand​

Podcasts
The Podcast section of the marketplace is only available in the US. Users outside the US have access to various podcast apps that are available in the Windows Phone Store. Ask people in the thread for recommendations.

emAtM.png

With the underlying changes Microsoft made to the OS, Windows Phone finally supports a much wider range of hardware. The former limitations of the CE kernel, like max. 512 MB RAM or the lack of multi-core CPU support are gone.

The first version of the OS will be limited to Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 SoC, but support for other chipsets will be added shortly after launch.

Microsoft updated the minimum chassis requirements accordingly:

• Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor
  • Minimum 512MB RAM for WVGA phones; minimum 1GB RAM for 720p / WXGA
  • Minimum 4GB flash memory
  • GPS and A-GNSS; GLONASS is supported if OEMs decide to include it
  • Support for micro-USB 2.0
  • 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with three-button detection support
  • Rear-facing AF camera with LED or Xenon flash, optional front-facing camera (both need to be VGA or better) and dedicated camera button
  • Accelerometer, proximity and ambient light sensors, as well as vibration motor (magnetometer and gyroscope are optional)
  • 802.11b/g and Bluetooth (802.11n is optional)
  • DirectX graphics hardware support with hardware acceleration for Direct3D using programmable GPU
  • Multi-touch capacitive touch screen with minimum of four simultaneous points

Note: While 512 MB RAM devices are supported, Microsoft recommends 1 GB RAM for full app and feature compatibility.

With the switch to the NT kernel, Microsoft dropped support for the previous two generations, which means that Windows Phone 7 user won't get an update to the new OS.

Here's a list of new phones you can buy instead!

py1Oy.png

mW69f.png

oWpag.png

NqGrT.png

5MWfZ.png

pVwbP.png

lsb4E.png

hwalker84

Am I the only one who likes ESPN Scorecenter better than the Nokia ESPN app?

The Nokia app would be a lot better if I could log in, Customize your news, look further back than a day for scores, and didn't constantly reload news and scores when viewing an article and going back.

derFeef

Can someone with a Luma 800 or 900 tell me how the audio works with headphones?
My Omnia 7 is shit in that regard. You only have ONE volume so you have to crank the volume up if you plug in earphones to listen to music, and down again so the ringtone is not ridiculously loud. Is this a WP7 problem or just with the Omnia.

My Omnia 7 is shit in that regard. You only have ONE volume so you have to crank the volume up if you plug in earphones to listen to music, and down again so the ringtone is not ridiculously loud. Is this a WP7 problem or just with the Omnia.

I'll let you know tonight if no one else steps up until then. (800 here)

bedlamite

I have an 800, it's an WP7 issue.

PSGames

If Microsoft buys 50% of RIM, I'd be pretty pissed if I were Samsung or HTC. And it's hard not to laugh at everyone who says that deal for $3.5BN would be a waste of money. RIM might be in a terrible position, but they do have some valuable patents.

They can't be any more upset than with Google outright buying Motorola.

gcubed

Canadian Pension Plan :(I used it as my primary phone for about 5 months last year. It's definitely a touch screen and I used the keyboard and touchscreen in conjunction often.

no no, i wasn't arguing with you on the phone. I was just stating i have a BB that looks exactly like that but it doesnt have a touch screen, so i didnt know there was a touch screen version available.

well, in the latter example, Samsung and HTC actually... sell phones.

Razdek

Banned
If Microsoft buys 50% of RIM, I'd be pretty pissed if I were Samsung or HTC. And it's hard not to laugh at everyone who says that deal for $3.5BN would be a waste of money. RIM might be in a terrible position, but they do have some valuable patents.

Their patents may be valuable but the company as a whole isn't IMO. Why not wait a few years until their value dips even more to buy them if they are going to? I don't think Google will try to buy them as they already bought Motorola and I don't think Apple would either. It might be another phone manufacturer that does if they do sell.

jagowar

Anybody ever brought an at&t phone over to tmobile? My brother recently got a used at&t phone off craigslist (focus flash) and brought it over to his tmobile account.

Everything works with the exception of mms messages as it seems to want to use the 3g network to send that stuff and the focus flash will only get on their edge network. Just wondering if there was a workaround. I have had him look at text+ but that one isn't terribly user friendly either (and is a separate app vs the integrated messaging)

Anybody ever brought an at&t phone over to tmobile? My brother recently got a used at&t phone off craigslist (focus flash) and brought it over to his tmobile account.

Everything works with the exception of mms messages as it seems to want to use the 3g network to send that stuff and the focus flash will only get on their edge network. Just wondering if there was a workaround. I have had him look at text+ but that one isn't terribly user friendly either (and is a separate app vs the integrated messaging)

It depends on the GSM bands that the phone supports.

Google bought Motorola Mobility to protect the ecosystem, all partners benefit from that and current rumors are that they're about to sell the hardware business to Huawei and keep the patents. Microsoft is in a relationship with Nokia and granted them special privileges and now they're about to adopt RIM.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

MMS should work, but you need to put the correct APN into the network settings. ATT and TMo use different APN settings and different 3G bands despite them both being GSM

jagowar

MMS should work, but you need to put the correct APN into the network settings. ATT and TMo use different APN settings and different 3G bands despite them both being GSM

I checked that.... looked it up off google but maybe it was an old number. Don't remember exactly number it was though. I told him I would do some more reading into that problem since it seems the multimedia parts of messaging will only go over 3g data (he had this same problem with his old iphone 3g which also came over from at&t).

Fjolle

I checked that.... looked it up off google but maybe it was an old number. Don't remember exactly number it was though. I told him I would do some more reading into that problem since it seems the multimedia parts of messaging will only go over 3g data (he had this same problem with his old iphone 3g which also came over from at&t).

From a quick google it looks like you need to set the apn to epc.tmobile.com ..

But I'm not sure if it fixes everything. With my Lumia i needed to change some hidden settings with a network setup app. Isn't there anything like that for Samsung?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Google bought Motorola Mobility to protect the ecosystem, all partners benefit from that and current rumors are that they're about to sell the hardware business to Huawei and keep the patents. Microsoft is in a relationship with Nokia and granted them special privileges and now they're about to adopt RIM.

but its not like rim is going anywhere. might as well wait for steam sale before buying rim =/

ChanHuk

Banned
Going into AT&T today to get my Lumia 900 swapped out. Its a game of pulling the SIM and restarting to get data to work. Yesterday, I couldn't get LTE at all (Maybe an AT&T issue), but it just wouldn't go from HSPA to LTE in areas I know has LTE.

frontieruk

From a quick google it looks like you need to set the apn to epc.tmobile.com ..

But I'm not sure if it fixes everything. With my Lumia i needed to change some hidden settings with a network setup app. Isn't there anything like that for Samsung?

Ok you could try as Fjolle suggests and use the Samsung network app from the OEM market called Network Profile.

Or

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1241721

ymmv I'd try the OEM market first though

Any other good impressions of the Lumia 900 after using it for a few days? I'm irrationally freaking out about the chrome finish flaking off--that sounds terrible.

hwalker84

Download the network profile Samsung app. Search for your provider.

giga

"The Focus Flash is a quad-band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) and dual-band HSPA+ 14.4 (850/1900 MHz) device"

T-Mobile's 3G/4G network is on their AWS band, which is 1700/2100. You'll have to wait till they start using their 1900 band for 3G/4G, which will be later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_USA#Radio_frequency_spectrum_chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom