• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia drive all all wp8 devices isn't contributing?
Aye, that's true, although Nokia's map data has been merged with Bing Maps across all platforms.
Some people think bigger and want all the exclusives to be not exclusives. But without Nokia, would these apps exist in the first place?

I'm not really mad, but the uniformity of the WP platform was one of the things that attracted me to the platform, so it is frustrating.

The way I understand it, the exclusive apps do only exist because Nokia fronted the bill (at least part of it) for development.

I'm not really mad, but the uniformity of the WP platform was one of the things that attracted me to the platform, so it is frustrating.

The way I understand it, the exclusive apps do only exist because Nokia fronted the bill (at least part of it) for development.

Heh. I suppose you can't have it all. Heck, here exist some apps that are approved by Microsoft for release on only Nokia handsets, so there's that.

WP might yet be known as the OS with all these crazy colored phones. I'm cool with that.

I think I like my stuff colourful from the get go, so when I had a black 900, one of the first things that I got was a magenta cover. I think we've had enough black and white phones these days without relying on attached cases/covers.

Milchjon

I've read some iPhone 5 reviews and I find it hard to understand how it's all "Well, that's a bit better, this is pretty much unchanged, this has finally caught up with the competition, lightning is a pain in the ass" in the texts and "OMG, best phone ever" in the verdict.

One major German site headlined their review "The Gentle Revolution" or something to that effect, but has a hard time coming up with improvements. They actually mentioned "One less tap to toggle Bluetooth" as one of the pluses in their list. And in the end, they still rave about it.

Maybe I should try to get a hand on one of these things. They seem to have some kind of magic power over anyone who holds them.

giga

I've read some iPhone 5 reviews and I find it hard to understand how it's all "Well, that's a bit better, this is pretty much unchanged, this has finally caught up with the competition, lightning is a pain in the ass" in the texts and "OMG, best phone ever" in the verdict.

One major German site headlined their review "The Gentle Revolution" or something to that effect, but has a hard time coming up with improvements. They actually mentioned "One less tap to toggle Bluetooth" as one of the pluses in their list. And in the end, they still rave about it.

Maybe I should try to get a hand on one of these things. They seem to have some kind of magic power over anyone who holds them.
The hardware has been improved in pretty much every aspect. Also…not sure why you're posting this in the WP thread?

Blackhead

Redarse

Most, if not all, of those reviewers—and I'm speaking about the 'non-biased' tech trade press now like Mossberg, Pogue, Brian Klug and Anand at Anandtech etc—use an iPhone as their personal phone. They also use MacBooks and often iPads. So while they may review other phones in their day job throughout the year, and thus be aware of the advancements made by the competition, they still come back to the daily reality of an iPhone. Whenever a new iPhone comes out they upgrade and it's better than the old one so it's the "omg, best phone ever"

Milchjon

Seems like less than a year has passed since everyone expected HTC to be the next big smartphone maker. Maybe two years. How did they fuck this up?

maeh2k

A closer look at the HTC Accord

Not bad, actually. The Lumia influence is pretty strong, but hey why not copy from the best. Curved glass is a nice touch

WP might yet be known as the OS with all these crazy colored phones. I'm cool with that.

I think it looks great (not Lumia great, but better than the GS3, not quite as sleek as the One X). Just hope they'll have other colors than purple. Otherwise I don't see that selling well*.

*by well I mean better than abysmally. It's a Windows Phone after all.

Vyer

or maybe it's just a very good phone. the previous one was as well, and this one might be better. not that hard

there can be more than one, screw you highlander

Milchjon

or maybe it's just a very good phone. the previous one was as well, and this one might be better. not that hard

there can be more than one, screw you highlander

I'm not disputing that it's a great phone. I'm also not disputing that the 4S was a great phone (I still like that design more).

But the previous iPhones were ahead of the competition in ways that mattered, whereas with the iPhone 5, I don't see any area (of importance, which of course is subjective again) where others haven't caught up or overtaken it. And I wish the reviews would reflect that.

There is a lot of truth to those list wars that Samsung and Nokia as well as their fans are trying to fight, but you wouldn't know from reading/listening to the mainstream press.

Vyer

I'm not disputing that it's a great phone. I'm also not disputing that the 4S was a great phone (I still like that design more).

But the previous iPhones were ahead of the competition in ways that mattered, whereas with the iPhone 5, I don't see any area (of importance, which of course is subjective again) where others haven't caught up or overtaken it. And I wish the reviews would reflect that.

There is a lot of truth to those list wars that Samsung and Nokia as well as their fans are trying to fight, but you wouldn't know from reading/listening to the mainstream press.

like you said, that's all subjective. personally a lot of them haven't caught up in areas that matter to me.

if you are doing a review, the things that don't have much wiggle room - display quality, build and design, battery life, performance, etc...those will take priority. And by all indications the phone is of a very high quality in all those areas. hence the review

Blackhead

Redarse
like you said, that's all subjective. personally a lot of them haven't caught up in areas that matter to me.

if you are doing a review, the things that don't have much wiggle room - display quality, build and design, battery life, performance, etc...those will take priority. And by all indications the phone is of a very high quality in all those areas. hence the review

Nope. Over the past year many other phones surpassed the iPhone 4S in display quality, battery life, performance etc (build and design is more subjective—I personally prefer the smooth curved durable plastics) but those phones weren't gushed about as "omg best phone eva". The iPhone 5 catches up in most of those categories and even edges one or two but it's not quite ahead of the curve enough to justify the effusive praises. The real reason for the reviews are the apps or, as Elop would say, the ecosystem. The apps, iTunes content, Mac integration and so on.

On the other hand, Apple just made a big disruption to their ecosystem with the new dock connector, the new screen size for apps and the hugely degraded stock Maps app. The reviewers are banking on updates coming quickly to fill this breach (a few reviews mentioned apps updated to remove letterboxing and that Google Maps is coming soon). This is the perfect time for a competitor to provide an alternative ecosystem.

HTC 8X

A0PUG.png

Matte red HTC 8X > glossy red Lumia 920.

Come at me!

HTC 8S

h1BD6.jpg

wamgI.jpg

TTOOLL

very thin, I like it!. Unfortunately HTC has closed all their business in Brazil, so I won't see this phone here.

buhdeh

Man WP8 software and now hardware is all looking good. Almost regret going for the S3. Why do Android phones all look like garbage?

Totakeke

"Everything was Lumia"

It is pretty sad that HTC is jumping onboard praising WP8 like this.

As for pricing and availability, HTC is taking a different approach to Nokia. HTC tells us that Windows Phone 8 will be launched fully in late October by Microsoft and that it plans to have devices on shelves "within days of that announcement" in early November. In the US the Windows Phone 8X by HTC will be available on AT&T and T-Mobile, and Verizon will also stock the handset. European carriers include Orange, O2 Telefonica, MTS, Three UK, T-Mobile, and Vodafone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/3345684/windows-phone-8x-by-htc-specs-release-date-features

What the heck does that mean. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom