• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
It is pretty sad that HTC is jumping onboard praising WP8 like this.

As for pricing and availability, HTC is taking a different approach to Nokia. HTC tells us that Windows Phone 8 will be launched fully in late October by Microsoft and that it plans to have devices on shelves "within days of that announcement" in early November. In the US the Windows Phone 8X by HTC will be available on AT&T and T-Mobile, and Verizon will also stock the handset. European carriers include Orange, O2 Telefonica, MTS, Three UK, T-Mobile, and Vodafone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/3345684/windows-phone-8x-by-htc-specs-release-date-features

What the heck does that mean. :(
I think that means all features revealed and supporting ecosystem pieces like desktop sync app, nfc integration and sdk released.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Poor HTC. They are getting murdered by Samsung on the android side and now Nokia is about to take their lunch on the WP side.

16gb with no SD support? No camera improvements? No envelope pushing features? This is the post Lumia 920 world, step your game up son.

Totakeke

Poor HTC. They are getting murdered by Samsung on the android side and now Nokia is about to take their lunch on the WP side.

16gb with no SD support? No camera improvements? No envelope pushing features? This is the post Lumia 920 world, step your game up son.

Nah, you're missing out on the event thread where Nokia is 2nd tier now and on suicide watch!

Fm5Te.png

front facing 2.1mp, f/2.0 88° camera with 1080p video capture

wXG0K.jpg

Vyer

Nope. Over the past year many other phones surpassed the iPhone 4S in display quality, battery life, performance etc (build and design is more subjective—I personally prefer the smooth curved durable plastics) but those phones weren't gushed about as "omg best phone eva". The iPhone 5 catches up in most of those categories and even edges one or two but it's not quite ahead of the curve enough to justify the effusive praises. The real reason for the reviews are the apps or, as Elop would say, the ecosystem. The apps, iTunes content, Mac integration and so on.

On the other hand, Apple just made a big disruption to their ecosystem with the new dock connector, the new screen size for apps and the hugely degraded stock Maps app. The reviewers are banking on updates coming quickly to fill this breach (a few reviews mentioned apps updated to remove letterboxing and that Google Maps is coming soon). This is the perfect time for a competitor to provide an alternative ecosystem.

None of that really changes anything I said. Whichever bullet point you want to give to another handset over the 4S is irrelevant to the 5. If many different aspects of the 5 are excellent it wil be reflected in reviews.

Anyhow, probably not the place for it. Probably should go in one of the other threads.

thirty

Banned
improved front camera, beats audio, light/thin, super lcd2 with class leading ppi, availability for 3 major carriers; all these may push me to the 8X with t-mobile rather than jump ship to att for the 920.

-light/thin is a big plus for gaming
-i think once reviewers get their hands on the 920, they'll say the camera is overrated

here's hoping cinemagraph makes it to all wp8 phones.

2DxFi.jpg

improved front camera, beats audio, light/thin, super lcd2 with class leading ppi, availability for 3 major carriers; all these may push me to the 8X with t-mobile rather than jump ship to att for the 920.

-light/thin is a big plus for gaming
-i think once reviewers get their hands on the 920, they'll say the camera is overrated

here's hoping cinemagraph makes it to all wp8 phones.

between HTC and Samsung, Nokia is relegated to 3rd place max on WP8

TTOOLL

so now that we have the phones Balmer needs to tell us more about WP8 and exactly when we can buy those beauties...

maeh2k

I don't know if they'll get murdered. The new HTCs look great and won't all compete on the same carriers as the Lumias.

I don't think they have to completely rework their Android devices. Now that Windows Phone can support more hardware (and with the Windows kernel soon pretty much all hardware), it should be easily possible for HTC and Samsung to just rework all their Android devices into Windows Phone devices with relatively little effort. That's a good thing for Windows Phone.

Also, if they don't have envelope pushing features, there's also a chance they won't have an envelope pushing price. The 8X will probably be cheaper than the Lumia 920.
The 8S is also lower-end than the Lumia 820. It'll probably be around the price the Radar was when it launched.

maeh2k

Why are there still in 480p?? Same fir the Lumia 820, does WP8 nit suport 960x540???

For one, 800x480 has a different aspect ratio than 960x540.

For Windows Phone 8 there's 800x480, 1280x720, and 1280x768. The cheaper phones will have 800x480.

Totakeke

I am for one also glad that manufacturers are actually realizing that the WP interface requires a rectangular shaped hardware to go with it. Samsung obviously still doesn't give a shit though aside from the Omnia 7 fluke.

So i think i got it planned out. If T-mobile US does not get the Nokia 920 i will be getting a California Blue HTC 8x. The camera will be a much improvement from my HTC HD7. The 820 wont have the camera specs i desire, even if it does offer wireless charging.

edit: forgot to mention that the 8x does only have 16gbs but I think that xbox music will probaly solve my music streaming needs or the community will prob find the micro SD card to replace like they did with the HD7

Why are there still in 480p?? Same for the Lumia 820, does WP8 not suport 960x540???

The Lumia 920 and Lumia 8X have 720p and 768p screens. They kept 800 x 480 for compatibility reasons, because there are already over 100,000 apps coded for that resolution.

thirty

Banned
So i think i got it planned out. If T-mobile US does not get the Nokia 920 i will be getting a California Blue HTC 8x. The camera will be a much improvement from my HTC HD7. The 820 wont have the camera specs i desire, even if it does offer wireless charging.
i'm in the same boat. looking to stick with t-mobile and upgrading my 2 yr old HD7. will go with a neon yollow 8X while i wait for a true pureview phone from nokia.

f0lken

The Lumia 920 and Lumia 8X have 720p and 768p screens. They kept 800 x 480 for compatibility reasons, because there are already over 100,000 apps coded for that resolution.

But isn't WP vector based? That would allow for perfect scaling unlike Apple and their letterboxing

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Looks like htc should have swapped the designs around lol. The two tone 8s really does look better than the Lumia-alike 8x

Yep, 8s looks better. I like the finish in the 8x better than the gloss on the 920. Too bad there is no standout feature for me over the Lumia.

this_guy

I went back to Android with the HTC EVO LTE, but would like to see Windows phone 8 do well and may consider it in the future. I don't mind HTC and Samsung bringing their Android phones over - I'd rather see one size/shape because that would mean more accessories as accessory makers don't have to make a specific case or dock for a specific phone. Phones have caught up to the iPhone but the iPhone still cannot be beat when it comes to accessories.

I am on At&t, this will be hard choice to make...damm first world problem.

I think the 8s looks really good especially the domino color (black & white) and the neon gray/green combo. The 8X red is pinkish (I know Brot prefer it) but you can see why Nokia went with glossy to make red look like Ferrari rather than a Camry.

I will decided when I see both screens and test out the camera features .... also a big plus on HTC 8 series is that the phone will not weight like a brick. I still don't understand how the Lumia 900 weight so much when the spec is no better than the Titan (which have an even larger screen).

On another note, looks like Nokia is jealous of Microsoft's old flame.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/3357690/nokia-htc-windows-phone-8-response-chris-weber

"tactical re-branding phone"

Dipswitch

So MS is still mum on the WP8 feature list eh? Makes you wonder if they've got some truly innovative stuff to reveal. When they'll bloody well get around to doing that is another matter.

And am I right in thinking both the Nokia 920 and the HTC 8x have no upgradable storage capacity options? I'm gonna upgrade my HD7 sometime in the next 6 months and I really don't wanna have to spring for the Sammy ATIV-S just to have that capability.

kehs

Banned
So MS is still mum on the WP8 feature list eh? Makes you wonder if they've got some truly innovative stuff to reveal. When they'll bloody well get around to doing that is another matter.

And am I right in thinking both the Nokia 920 and the HTC 8x have no upgradable storage capacity options? I'm gonna upgrade my HD7 sometime in the next 6 months and I really don't wanna have to spring for the Sammy ATIV-S just to have that capability.

They're still talling up the feedback requests.

bedlamite

Still leaning towards a yellow 920, mainly for the design and Nokia's software. However if the Beats Audio and dedicated audio chip in the 8x are actually worth a damn, I might be persuaded to change my mind. I love my 800 but one major beef I have with the phone is that the headphone out sounds woefully anemic, if HTC can do better I'll switch.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm going with a red or yellow 920. Maybe even matte gray depending on what's available at at&t.

If the reviews say that the camera sucks (unlikely), then I'll get the Ativ S. Expandable storage over looks and higher dpi for me. 32gb 8X would have been my second choice if it existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom