• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

If the 8X had OIS, I'd be all over it in an instant. But at the moment I think the (probably) better camera, twice the storage, and Nokia exclusive stuff is keeping me with the 920.

JaggedSac

Why is carrier support for the 920 so spotty? It's an exciting alternative to the other big phones, IMO. Do they fear cannibalisation? Confusion? WP8? The weight? The colors? Not sure I get it.

I think Nokia's relationship with some of the US carriers is spotty.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why is carrier support for the 920 so spotty? It's an exciting alternative to the other big phones, IMO. Do they fear cannibalisation? Confusion? WP8? The weight? The colors? Not sure I get it.

I think Nokia's relationship with some of the US carriers is spotty.

Nokia is also seeking exclusive partnerships with carriers that will give their market their phones as flagship devices, similar to the support the iPhone received when it first launched.

maeh2k

so now we wait for MS to reveal features, pricing, and dates? WTF, the iPhone 5 is gonna hit retail next week.

I think there is enough information out there for anyone to make up their mind.

Apart from some data on which carrier gets which phones (and some country-specific differences), it's really not that much of a mystery. In the US they'll release early november and cost as much as you'd expect them to.

A lot of the Windows Phone 8 features are also known already. Some announced, some leaked.

I'm certain that, excluding Sprint, I could find a WP8 phone on pretty much every carrier that I'd prefer of the iPhone.

Hey guys, watch this video and take a good look at 5:17

http://pocketnow.com/2012/09/19/windows-phone-8x-8s-hands-on/

What do you see?

Hint:

bQSH7.png

:p

Damn, after looking at that design video, I really like what HTC's done, I'm quite impressed.

Hard to turn down the 4.5" screen, 32 GB of storage, camera, and exclusive apps of the Nokia though.

maeh2k

Makes sense. It still supports learnability in that every user will at some point be shown that there is something to the right and doesn't take up any space.

venne

so now we wait for MS to reveal features, pricing, and dates? WTF, the iPhone 5 is gonna hit retail next week.

Microsoft is wise to wait until the deluge of iPhone articles passes.

Let things quite down a bit so their message isn't drowned out by iNoise.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Before buying an HTC, I'd want to make sure that the "enthusiast update" feature Thurrott talked about is real, and that it applies to any phone model, and specifically to owners of HTC phones. They've been pretty crappy with their Windows Phone updates. Do ANY of their phones have Tango? Right now, I'm not even sure any OEM outside of Nokia has even publicly stated that they will update their phones to 7.8

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HTC's matte polycarbonate > Nokia's gloss polycarbonate. I think Nokia made a big mistake going with gloss. It cheapens the look of the phones. Only providing matte for the black and grey is a bad choice imo.

Raistlin

Since I'm back to my Focus for the time being, I decide to upgrade it.

Just slapped in a 32GB (40GB altogether) microSD and a 3600mAh battery :p. Hopefully I have no stability issues.

While the battery sticks out a bit, I actually kind of like the extra weight. Seems less fragile. Once I move onto a new phone though, this thing will make a pretty sweet media player, etc. now. :D

HTC's matte polycarbonate > Nokia's gloss polycarbonate. I think Nokia made a big mistake going with gloss. It cheapens the look of the phones. Only providing matte for the black and grey is a bad choice imo.

That's what I've been saying all along.

But no, I'm a hater, naysayer, debbie downer etc ...

Before buying an HTC, I'd want to make sure that the "enthusiast update" feature Thurrott talked about is real, and that it applies to any phone model, and specifically to owners of HTC phones. They've been pretty crappy with their Windows Phone updates. Do ANY of their phones have Tango? Right now, I'm not even sure any OEM outside of Nokia has even publicly stated that they will update their phones to 7.8

HTC Trophy has Tango.

strata8

I could've sworn someone said that the 7.8 update was independent of the manufacturers/carriers.

Troll

Banned
6b4f41bagw1dx27sh819ej_225126.jpg

8S leak!

Really exciting phone!

The Windows Phone 8S (HTC Rio) will have a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8227 Krait framework 1GHz processor, Adreno 305 GPU , a 4 inch WVGA resolution (800*480 pixels) screen, carrying a 5 megapixel camera which supports HD video 720p.

I'll buy seven!

I think there is enough information out there for anyone to make up their mind.

Apart from some data on which carrier gets which phones (and some country-specific differences), it's really not that much of a mystery. In the US they'll release early november and cost as much as you'd expect them to.

A lot of the Windows Phone 8 features are also known already. Some announced, some leaked.

I'm certain that, excluding Sprint, I could find a WP8 phone on pretty much every carrier that I'd prefer of the iPhone.

/cries

The HTC phone looks very nice. Definitely a good second(or third) option, IMO. Could be a good cheap phone for a lot of people.

Troll

Banned
Just updated my iPad to iOS 6 just for the new maps. I don't see how Nokia maps could be worse than this. Honestly.

I'm going to feel really really really dirty if I end up moving to ATT just for the lumia.

-_-

If I were to tell you that I moved to Sprint for the Pre, would that make you feel better?

kehs

Banned
or they could have mentioned that stuff weeks ago and people would compare the two... unless that's what they wanted to avoid...

Honestly, I think they're doing a smart move. Doing it around the time of iPhone is suicide. This is going to sound trollish as shit, but there's a huge section of people who will buy the iPhone regardless of anything else. That section grows, and will grow for about one or two years. If microsoft holds off for the holiday season, about a week or two before black friday ish histeria and lines up deals, they'll capitalize on it.

W8P has the capacity to dominate over Apple, no questions asked.

Honestly, I think they're doing a smart move. Doing it around the time of iPhone is suicide. This is going to sound trollish as shit, but there's a huge section of people who will buy the iPhone regardless of anything else. That section grows, and will grow for about one or two years. If microsoft holds off for the holiday season, about a week or two before black friday ish histeria and lines up deals, they'll capitalize on it.

W8P has the capacity to dominate over Apple, no questions asked.

so you're saying they can't build hype later if they announced features weeks ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom