• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
My Lumia 900 seems to be stuck updating at step 8. It's the newly released update of today, how long do you usually wait? Been going on for half an hour now...

edit, nvm. It's done. Guess it just takes that long :)

strata8

The HTC 8S might make a good replacement for my Omnia 7. The screen is the same size/resolution (no Pentile!), but the phone itself is smaller, thinner, lighter, more powerful, looks better, and has a microSD slot.

I would buy a 920 or 8X but I'm a bit hesitant about buying a phone with a screen larger than 4". The 8S only weighs 110g, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So we can add "maps and navigation" as another area where the 920 beats the iPhone.

Can't wait for the built in Nokia maps. Even here in the virgin islands, where Bing and google sucks, I can actually use turn by turn with my wife's Lumia 900. I found my way to a new beach last Sunday. Amazing.

So we can add "maps and navigation" as another area where the 920 beats the iPhone.

Can't wait for the built in Nokia maps. Even here in the virgin islands, where Bing and google sucks, I can actually use turn by turn with my wife's Lumia 900. I found my way to a new beach last Sunday. Amazing.

I've seen the hilarity on Gizmodo and the... well, 3D maps stuff. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Apple didn't go in-house.

Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding.

I saw this in my Toronto news feed today:

TylS1.jpg

Apparently that's our Airport :S

venne

Well, maybe that's why Microsoft has waited until after the iPhone launch.

Some comparison shots between Nokia Maps and this garbage would make for an excellent presentation.

BBC said:
Among the user complaints regarding Apple's maps sent to the BBC were:

Some towns appear to be missing, such as Stratford-upon-Avon and Solihull.

Others, like Uckfield in East Sussex, are in the wrong location.

Satellite images of various locations, particularly in Scotland, are obscured by cloud.

A search for Manchester United Football Club directs users to Sale United Football Club, a community team for ages five and above.

Users also reported missing local places, such as schools, or strange locations. Another screenshot showed a furniture museum that was apparently located in a river.

Oh my. . .

JaggedSac

A good free app to stream movies from the PC to Phone?

Go ahead and get yourself set up with Plex. The Plex app on the phone is $5 I think(I don't watch media on my phone), but it is quite awesome to have a free media server that you can access from anywhere.

You need to install the desktop application on the PC if you don't want to deal with file size restrictions or cloud space.

Can you browse your hard drive from the phone? Is that via the browser or the app?

venne

Can you browse your hard drive from the phone? Is that via the browser or the app?

Pretty sure that's how that works when the apps are used.

Can't get the stupid link to work for the Skydrive desktop app page, but the slide shows the option to 'make files on this PC available to other devices'.

thirty

Banned
wow, directory searches in apple maps is worse than it is in bing. not to shit on bing maps but why hasn't directory searches been improved and brought up to google maps levels? such a shame because bing has made so many improvements in different areas like traffic and navigation. in fact, navigation in bing is easily superior than google maps. there were freeway fires in LA last week and bing navigated me around traffic while my passengers' android phones would route them into traffic.

JaggedSac

I would not say the city lens stuff is an alternative to Street View. I don't think people use street view, while they're on that street.

Pretty sure that's how that works when the apps are used.

Can't get the stupid link to work for the Skydrive desktop app page, but the slide shows the option to 'make files on this PC available to other devices'.

The app doesn't have the functionality, but I did verify you can access the desktop version of the Skydrive site to browse your pc. None of the videos I have were in supported formats though so I cannot say whether streaming would work that way or not.

Achtius

[ IMG]http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Maps-apps-benchmark.jpeg[/IMG]

So one of the few things that is holding me back from getting Lumia 920 is actually navigation. Is the Nokia Drive (at least that's what i think it is call) as accurate as Google Navigation? I am really bad at direction so I am extremely dependent on google navigation.

maeh2k

If the report is true, price for 8X and 8S is fairly cheap for off-contract phone. (in UK)

http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-8x-and-htc-8s-priced-in-uk-are-pretty-cheap/

I didn't realize 8S has such a "crappy" stats - 5 MP, only 4 gb storage ...

crappy stats, greaty price.

The 5 MP camera isn't necessarily abysmal (that 5 MP is probably still way better than the 5 MP in my Optimus 7). Last year's top Android phone, the Galaxy Nexus had 5 MP, too. For people who care a lot about photos there are some great options out there.

The storage is a lot more worrying as long as we don't know exactly how the phone treats SD cards. Only being able to install apps on those 4 GB next to the OS which takes up most of that space would severely cripple the phone.

So one of the few things that is holding me back from getting Lumia 920 is actually navigation. Is the Nokia Drive (at least that's what i think it is call) as accurate as Google Navigation? I am really bad at direction so I am extremely dependent on google navigation.

Engadget reviewed Nokia Drive 2.0

Wrap-up

Nokia Drive offline navigation review taking the Lumia 900 for an offthegrid spin

If you're an avid traveler, and you haven't given Windows Phone a chance, you should. Nokia Drive is honestly reason enough to consider switching if you use your phone for navigating as much as you do texting or calling, and I've reason to believe that it'll only get better with age. After all, the company now shares hallways with a few folks from Bing Maps -- folks who have designed some pretty impressive travel tools themselves. The only legitimate gripe I had with Drive after 1,900 miles was this: when you're searching for something generic -- 'Starbucks in Bend, Oregon' for example -- it'll often find four or five like-named destinations. But at a glance, there's no street address listed in the results, so you have no idea which Starbucks you're about to head to. A minor niggle that we hope is corrected in future updates.

All in all, however, I can confidently say that Nokia Drive is the best purely offline navigational tool on the market, on any mobile platform. If you count yourself a Lumia owner already, there's no reason to not take advantage of the power within -- it's a free download, after all. For those considering a switch, the timing couldn't be weirder. A Lumia 900 is still a bargain, even at $99 on a 2-year AT&T contract, but Microsoft has already confirmed that it'll never (ever!) get Windows Phone 8. If you're about to embark on a rural road trip this summer, having a Lumia with Nokia Drive would surely be of assistance, but the pragmatist in me says it's wiser to hold out for the impending rush of Windows Phone 8 devices this holiday season. After all, who wouldn't want to make that Christmas trip to grandma's house using a WP8-powered offline navigational tool?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/nokia-drive-offline-navigation-review-taking-the-lumia-900-for/

Since then, Nokia released version 3.0

Nokia Drive 3.0 now includes a My Commute feature that learns driving preferences and uses traffic information to help assist with routes. We got an early look at the feature in February, but Nokia has been perfecting it over the past few months and will only make it available in the United States initially.

Nokia Drive 3.0 also includes a new automatic day and night mode to switch map colors during different driving conditions. All these improvements are only available for Lumia Windows Phone owners right now, but Microsoft is planning to incorporate Nokia Drive as a core app in the upcoming Windows Phone 8 release.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/20/3171914/nokia-drive-3-0-released-for-lumia-windows-phones

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Lumia Bloomberg app is pretty sweet. The ticker is really cool. I can imagine with wp8 they could do some cool things with the large live tiles.

venne

I would not say the city lens stuff is an alternative to Street View. I don't think people use street view, while they're on that street.

The app doesn't have the functionality, but I did verify you can access the desktop version of the Skydrive site to browse your pc. None of the videos I have were in supported formats though so I cannot say whether streaming would work that way or not.

Boo.

Fix that, Microsoft. I want a personal cloud up and running.

ElNino

Thanks. I wonder if it makes a difference that I live in Canada. I'll look into it more.
Nokia Drive works great in Canada. I downloaded the Ontario maps and have used it several times for navigation while driving, while offline with no data.
For Nokia, no.

For Bing, yeah.
For Bing, as long as you set your browser search region to US (instead of the default Canada) it will work pretty well and I actually prefer it to the Nokia Maps. Bing is quicker to load and scrolling is smoother, but most importantly for me is that the traffic is better in Bing than it is in Nokia. Bing, for example, will show traffic conditions from Toronto all the way to Kingston (which is a drive I do often) where as Nokia's traffic will stop around Coburg.

Nokia Maps does have much better transit info, Bing doesn't do it all as far as I know, but it's easy enough to use Nokia Maps and/or Transit when needed for that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia Drive works great in Canada. I downloaded the Ontario maps and have used it several times for navigation while driving, while offline with no data.

For Bing, as long as you set your browser search region to US (instead of the default Canada) it will work pretty well and I actually prefer it to the Nokia Maps. Bing is quicker to load and scrolling is smoother, but most importantly for me is that the traffic is better in Bing than it is in Nokia. Bing, for example, will show traffic conditions from Toronto all the way to Kingston (which is a drive I do often) where as Nokia's traffic will stop around Coburg.

Nokia Maps does have much better transit info, Bing doesn't do it all as far as I know, but it's easy enough to use Nokia Maps and/or Transit when needed for that.

Yeah, I prefer Bing Maps for some things as well. When searching business though, I think Nokia Maps will have more info however.

hwalker84

The fiancee refuses to use Nokia Drive because when she clicks on an address it opens in Bing not Drive. I say why don't you just search in Nokia Drive?..... "Too much of a hassle" SMDH!!!

ElNino

Yeah, I prefer Bing Maps for some things as well. When searching business though, I think Nokia Maps will have more info however.
Agreed, Nokia for the most part seems to have better (non-US) data than Bing. I hope that for WP8 we can have to best of both worlds in one app.

JaggedSac

The fiancee refuses to use Nokia Drive because when she clicks on an address it opens in Bing not Drive. I say why don't you just search in Nokia Drive?..... "Too much of a hassle" SMDH!!!

My fiancee refuses to use it because it doesn't speak the street names. It only says turn this way or that way.

ElNino

My fiancee refuses to use it because it doesn't speak the street names. It only says turn this way or that way.
I prefer it that way, as I've never liked how street names were pronounced. My Odyssey does the same thing (no street names) so I'm used to that anyways.
The Lumia Bloomberg app is pretty sweet. The ticker is really cool. I can imagine with wp8 they could do some cool things with the large live tiles.
I'm not a big finance guy, despite working for a bank (lol), but you're right the Bloomberg app is pretty nice. I've noticed a couple little quirks with it, the Live Tile for my company's stock price shows GMT time instead of my local EDT and I wish you could configure the main Live Tile to show stocks/currencies you are following instead of just the featured news... but otherwise, it is very nice for a 1.0 version.

frontieruk

Before buying an HTC, I'd want to make sure that the "enthusiast update" feature Thurrott talked about is real, and that it applies to any phone model, and specifically to owners of HTC phones. They've been pretty crappy with their Windows Phone updates. Do ANY of their phones have Tango? Right now, I'm not even sure any OEM outside of Nokia has even publicly stated that they will update their phones to 7.8

Actually HTC have met all the wp7 updates on schedule which my hd7 willl attest to if a HTC wp7 handset ,isn't upto date it's carrier related not HTC. where they lack though is updates to their own apps, and firmware fixes for issues, but apart from Nokia that's par for the course.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Actually HTC have met all the wp7 updates on schedule which my hd7 willl attest to if a HTC wp7 handset ,isn't upto date it's carrier related not HTC. where they lack though is updates to their own apps, and firmware fixes for issues, but apart from Nokia that's par for the course.

Samsung has been good with firmware updates. I've gotten two on my Focus S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom