• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung has been good with firmware updates. I've gotten two on my Focus S.
Did they ever improve the camera? I just can't see how the camera is worst than their OG Focus.

I still have not gotten the latest firmware on my Lumia. Probably fixing the freeze up issue, I have not run into that issue.

ChanHuk

Banned
Best Buy is willing to give me $140 for my Lumia 900. I have it listed on CL for $200 and no interest. I think I'll continue to keep it as a spare phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

But yeah my Focus is still not on Tango. Good stuff, ATT.

Yep, at&t. When I flashed tango on my phone, I got a firmware update from Samsung. The update is probably at the carrier and a likely firmware upgrade as well for the OG Focus, at&t just don't care.

Troll

Banned
I would like it if when you unlock your phone if you are pressing and pressing down on me of your notifications it would automatically open that app upon unlocking.

Does that make sense?

kn1ves24

So does anybody have first hand experience with Nokia Music? Since like so many others I plan on getting a 920 when they decide to release it, the Nokia Music sounds like a sweet deal. My question is though, is the service more like pandora? or is it more like the current Zune Pass service? Specifically would I be able to create a playlist with songs and artists I want or am I at the mercy of what ever the Nokia Music service THINKS I'll like?

So, Mobilicity (Canada) dropped the price of the Lumia 710 to $150, and I caved and bought one for my girlfriend.

Seems pretty neat so far.

I would like it if when you unlock your phone if you are pressing and pressing down on me of your notifications it would automatically open that app upon unlocking.

Does that make sense?

i'm sure it does that, if you press the notification when it's locked, the lock screen jumps a little. if you then slide it away whilst it jumps it'll go to the relavent app.

Commodore

But yeah my Focus is still not on Tango. Good stuff, ATT.

The inevitable reality is, Focus OG users, (me!) will likely be getting tango when 7.8 finally hits, which in all actuality means for me at least, that I'll likely get a new phone before I get tango. 0.o Stupid carriers and wanting to bundle stuff together instead of releasing it as its available. I'm really interested in details about what MS mentioned about circumventing carriers and getting updates earlier for enthusiast users.

Troll

Banned
Mobility Digest said:
Lumia-screen_thumb.jpg

Link

Firestorm

My Rogers Focus updated to Tango ages ago although I did unlock it... Just AT&T that's ass I think.

Oh and honestly my biggest gripe with WP7 is how bad the Facebook app is. "Push" Notifications should not take this long -.-

venne

Does that make sense?

Maybe if you start your upward swipe on one of the icons it takes you directly there.

Blackhead

Redarse

Does that make sense?

It makes a lot of sense

sidenote: ffs i blocked your other avatar and you had to make a new one with the same base image. For the love of eris, and all that is good and holy, please reconsider.

Milchjon

So does anybody have first hand experience with Nokia Music? Since like so many others I plan on getting a 920 when they decide to release it, the Nokia Music sounds like a sweet deal. My question is though, is the service more like pandora? or is it more like the current Zune Pass service? Specifically would I be able to create a playlist with songs and artists I want or am I at the mercy of what ever the Nokia Music service THINKS I'll like?

You can't select songs. You can stream/download premade "mixes" or you can create your own by choosing artists. I guess the latter is like Pandora.

I don't think of it as a killer app. I use it relatively often, because the mixes aren't bad, it's free, ad free and there's an offline mode, but I think of it more like improved radio.

thirty

Banned
from wmpoweruser-
Speaking to the BBC, HTC’s CEO Peter Chou has said the company is "super confident" about their chances with their new Windows Phone 8 handsets, saying it was better than other handsets.

He emphasized that HTC and Microsoft will market the handsets aggressively, and that the handset would he a hero device for Microsoft, and different from their previous efforts.

He said their marketing to consumers would be about letting consumers know about the awesome Windows Phone experiences and cool services. He emphasized the integrated marketing between Microsoft and HTC would be key, but however maintained that HTC was equally committed to Microsoft and Google.
8X as the Hero phone this holiday? is it because the 8X is coming to 3 major carriers while Nokia could only manage to get the 920 on ATT shelves? or do you guys think there are other issues here?

Commodore

You can't select songs. You can stream/download premade "mixes" or you can create your own by choosing artists. I guess the latter is like Pandora.

I don't think of it as a killer app. I use it relatively often, because the mixes aren't bad, it's free, ad free and there's an offline mode, but I think of it more like improved radio.

Zune Pass is still why I came to the platform in the first place. Nothing beats it. I can't do the culled Pandora like music radio + ads services. I love being able to download at will and create my own playlists, plus if I wanted I could just do smart DJ if I really wanted to just go like Pandora does it, with no ads! But the one thing that MS Zune team didn't really maximize with their service was making finding, streaming, and sharing playlists really really easy. That's one thing Spotify does amazingly well from what I can see. Service like Songza are also pretty cool. Its playlisting that should be at the heart of a really good music subscription service. Of the many things that I'm wondering about updates with Windows Phone 8, their XBOX Music nitty gritty details is up there for me.

Also with possible updates, two little tiny things that have been bugging me for years that I hope to see improved with the OS. 1. Percentages for battery life at the top instead of a little battery icon. I wanna see when I'm down to 5 percent dammit, instead of having to drill down into settings to find out I'm still at 15%. 2. Let me save email settings to automatically download pictures. Small thing but I just don't like having to choose every time I get an email from someone that I'm always going to choose to download the pictures. I get why they do it, but let me choose who I trust! Bah!

Doffen

8X as the Hero phone this holiday? is it because the 8X is coming to 3 major carriers while Nokia could only manage to get the 920 on ATT shelves? or do you guys think there are other issues here?

Maybe Microsoft is afraid that they will lose their status quo with Nokia?

Commodore

Maybe Microsoft is afraid that they will lose their status quo with Nokia?

Maybe MS can just market the fact they have TWO hero devices this holiday season, instead of just one. These phones aren't Highlanders Microsoft, c'mon! The 920 and 8X can be total BFF rivals, ala Ryu and Ken.

venne

Zune Pass is still why I came to the platform in the first place. Nothing beats it. I can't do the culled Pandora like music radio + ads services. I love being able to download at will and create my own playlists, plus if I wanted I could just do smart DJ if I really wanted to just go like Pandora does it, with no ads! But the one thing that MS Zune team didn't really maximize with their service was making finding, streaming, and sharing playlists really really easy. That's one thing Spotify does amazingly well from what I can see. Service like Songza are also pretty cool. Its playlisting that should be at the heart of a really good music subscription service. Of the many things that I'm wondering about updates with Windows Phone 8, their XBOX Music nitty gritty details is up there for me.

Also with possible updates, two little tiny things that have been bugging me for years that I hope to see improved with the OS. 1. Percentages for battery life at the top instead of a little battery icon. I wanna see when I'm down to 5 percent dammit, instead of having to drill down into settings to find out I'm still at 15%. 2. Let me save email settings to automatically download pictures. Small thing but I just don't like having to choose every time I get an email from someone that I'm always going to choose to download the pictures. I get why they do it, but let me choose who I trust! Bah!

I don't think it's a trust issue. I always thought it had more to do with not sucking down a ton of data from your data-connection.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Awesome.

Also a video showing the red 920 with cinemagraph, Nokia Maps and Nokia Transit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FOK0_cKEWo

This is also the first time I've seen a group tile (family in this video) as a double wide tile. Some neat effects, and portrait pics from family members get sort of pillarboxed in the tile. It also shows two full pictures at a time side by side, or at least what looks like 2/3 for one pic and 1/3 for another. Faster animations than the current People hub, too.

Did they ever improve the camera? I just can't see how the camera is worst than their OG Focus.

Nope. As far as I can tell, they've improved some stuff on the bluetooth side and that annoying bug from the phone's launch where it would lag if you had key press on.

thirty

Banned
maybe MS sees the 8X as their Nexus, with the pure WP experience. compared to the Nokia phones with exclusives like Nokia Music which MS could see as a rival to their own Xbox Music.

Raistlin

from wmpoweruser-

For multi-OEM ecosystems, there isn't usually just one 'hero' phone. There are units from whatever OEM's want to make a high-end unit.

As far as the MS marketing, I don't think there's anything to read into. It's about getting the word out there. Nokia has decided to go with the exclusivity method (less carriers, but they'll help market it) ... so it makes sense MS would get behind units that have a wider market but not as much carrier push.

In this stage of the game, a push for any WP8 is good for OS as a whole. This gets a great balance between carrier-specific marketing and general marketing for the wider market.

thirty

Banned
For multi-OEM ecosystems, there isn't usually just one 'hero' phone. There are units from whatever OEM's want to make a high-end unit.

As far as the MS marketing, I don't think there's anything to read into. It's about getting the word out there. Nokia has decided to go with the exclusivity method (less carriers, but they'll help market it) ... so it makes sense MS would get behind units that have a wider market but not as much carrier push.

In this stage of the game, a push for any WP8 is good for OS as a whole. This gets a great balance between carrier-specific marketing and general marketing for the wider market.
I hear what you are saying but can't agree with you. the nokia 900 would have been a much bigger success if it released on all the major carriers. I don't think the att advertising helped much. I really see nokia in deep trouble now because HTC is going to take their lunch on both Verizon and t-mobile. who would choose an 820 over either the 8x/8s? in fact, I expect htc's low end offering, the 8s, to really take off at that low price and destroy any future nokia low end offerings. that is, if we're going by the 710 and 600. I can also see the nokia releasing the 920 on the other carriers this year, maybe after 30 days, that would still be early December. maybe nokia is holding off cyan until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom