• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

Does anyone use that giffgaff network? I saw an ad on tv and it looked pretty good for the price.

I've not used GiffGaff but have seriously considered it.

The value equation is superb on those offerings and it runs on the O2 network (which I have no issues with normally). I really should switch...

Lumia 510!

HMKtA.jpg
qeMZH.jpg

News has come forward this morning that a new device caledl ‘Lumia 510’ has just passed certification in China. The specs aren’t anything eye catching for obvious reasons but it should sell well if priced right:

• 4 "LCD screen, 5MP
  • 120.7 x 64.9 x 11.51 (mm), 129 (g)
  • GSM-WCDMA-HSPA
  • 800MHz MSM7227A + 256MB RAM + Windows Phone 7.5/7.8
http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-510-low-end-specs-headed-china-sports-windows-phone-7x

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well, fuck me.

Edit: This bit is important
No word on exact release date though we’re sure more information will come forward shortly. What’s interesting is that the device is running Windows Phone 7.5 and will get the 7.8 upgrade but alas, no Windows Phone 8.

Crappy phone is crappy.

Depending of file type,I believe you can do that with Skydrive.

You need to install the desktop application on the PC if you don't want to deal with file size restrictions or cloud space.

I don't want to upload each file to Skydrive before watching it. Something like Plex but free would be nice.

Go ahead and get yourself set up with Plex. The Plex app on the phone is $5 I think(I don't watch media on my phone), but it is quite awesome to have a free media server that you can access from anywhere.

I already purchased Plex on Android and I don't want to repurchase it on WP knowing I'll only use it once or twice.

maeh2k

That's what they said earlier this year. They wanted to push WP as third eco system. Only the 920 in that lineup is new, because the Lumia 822 was the only new Nokia that was listed in their systems.

I didn't really expect them to basically offer all Windows Phones.

Now if they present the phones nicely in the stores with all WPs next to each other (preferably with all colors), they'll surely draw some attention next to all the Android phones and the iPhone.
They also have to get the marketing right an give the sales people some training/incentives...

ElNino

I don't want to upload each file to Skydrive before watching it. Something like Plex but free would be nice.
With the Skydrive desktop app installed you don't really need to upload each file to Skydrive, not manually at least. You have folders on your PC that are synced with Skydrive, so you just need to add files to the monitored folders and they will be automatically synced. I've never done this for media, but I've done it with Word/Excel/PDF documents many times.

NeOak

The Verge/Topolsky is "thankful for the competition" in the iPhone 5 review.
That's a bit of a twist.

I read this and couldn't believe it.

Topolsky said:
But there's also another segment of the market, of which I consider myself a part. That segment thinks that there's still a lot of work to be done in mobile devices; still a lot of innovation to come. And that's not innovation for the sake of innovation. I mean real innovation in the way we use our phones, in the flexibility of those operating systems, in how those devices become an extension of ourselves. For that segment, I think the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 fall short. There's a lot more work to be done, but right now Apple seems to be in a holding pattern, too comfortable or too scared to take real chances.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the moment that Apple joins the messy fray again. I have no doubt it will happen. But until then, thank goodness for competition.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review#wrap-up

RIP Jesus phone status

frontieruk

Does anyone use that giffgaff network? I saw an ad on tv and it looked pretty good for the price.

I've not used GiffGaff but have seriously considered it.

The value equation is superb on those offerings and it runs on the O2 network (which I have no issues with normally). I really should switch...

I've used it, it's good as its word, just expect issues getting wp7 playing nicely, not being able to manually enter apns was a nightmare, HTC connect could get data working but never had mms on it, because it's a MVNO it's settings aren't on the sims which is where wp7 takes its settings from. My mate couldn't get data or mms on his lumia 800 but admittedly that was at launch and Nokias settings app wasn't available. Hopefully things are better now, I'd suggest checking their forums about connecting your particular handset before plunging in.

Commodore

Come on, this is not WMPoweruser. Lets not pretend thay important apps arent still missing.

Very true. Still some highly notable marquee apps still not available, especially bank apps, and Pandora/Instagram, even though we do have some decent alts for those. What else are we missing? Also on the flip side, there's still a stigma that people immediately dismiss WP's app store because of app count, but don't realize just how many of the high profile apps that are actually there. I know I was surprised almost two years ago to find most of the apps I'd need were available. Honestly all MS has to do is make sure the top 1000 apps on both Android and iOS are there.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 920 review from the Verge will be the exact opposite of the iPhone 5 review. They'll praise the hardware innovation but say the ecosystem is still lacking. I do think they'll find Windows Phone 8 to be a huge upgrade compared to ios6 but nobody there uses WP devices as their daily driver, so they'll miss a bunch of the little things that the OS does. Like cut and paste from email.

It'll get 7.9'd.

The 920 review from the Verge will be the exact opposite of the iPhone 5 review. They'll praise the hardware innovation but say the ecosystem is still lacking. I do think they'll find Windows Phone 8 to be a huge upgrade compared to ios6 but nobody there uses WP devices as their daily driver, so they'll miss a bunch of the little things that the OS does. Like cut and paste from email.

It'll get 7.9'd.

Better than 7.0. Heh. Still an improvement from 900.

It'll get 7.9'd.

I think your overall score is right, but I think the review will go like this:

WP8 allows you to do this awesome thing that other phone OS can't. And this awesome thing and this awesome thing and this awesome thing, all only found on WP8. And look, it can do all this stuff it couldn't do before!

Final verdict: It now reaches parity of other phone OSes but does not exceed.

I think your overall score is right, but I think the review will go like this:

WP8 allows you to do this awesome thing that other phone OS can't. And this awesome thing and this awesome thing and this awesome thing, all only found on WP8. And look, it can do all this stuff it couldn't do before!

Final verdict: It now reaches parity of other phone OSes but does not exceed.

Who cares about the review score. Isn't it more important what the editor personally thinks?

If we had a timeline for Topolsky's opinion, it would be like this:

Around launch: Mango is better than iOS 5
Some time later: Mango is definitely on par with iOS 5
Few months later: Mango is still lagging behind iOS 5. Not enough updates and the evolution is too slow. Please, tell me how you know more about technology than I do.

Who cares about the review score. Isn't it more important what the editor personally thinks?

If we had a timeline for Topolsky's opinion, it would be like this:

Around launch: Mango is better than iOS 5
Some time later: Mango is definitely on par with iOS 5
Few months later: Mango is still lagging behind iOS 5. Not enough updates and the evolution is too slow. Please, tell me how you know more about technology than I do.

I feel like we're saying the same thing but using different words.... lol.

dLMN8R

The apps which are there tend to be poor. Facebook, Twitter, Mint, various banking apps, and others are either lacking features now or way behind in getting new features, on top of being shoddy implementations as-is.

The games story is basically pathetic.

The most important thing though is whenever something new comes out. It happens countless times per year - some unexpected fast rising app hits cultural zeitgeist and takes the world by storm. Whether it's Instagram or Draw Something or Angry Birds Space or something else. Whether it sticks around for a week or a month or years. Windows Phone never has it, or gets it late after no one cares anymore.

It doesn't matter for everyone, but it's undoubtedly important to millions for those apps to be there at launch or close. Microsoft's making a big deal out of getting some Zynga games and Angry Birds at the launch of Windows Phone 8 (or whatever it is), but by that time few will care anymore and the world will have moved onto something else.

It's very important to prospective buyers, and the situation absolutely sucks right now. What I'm hoping is that the enablement of native development and popular engines like Unreal (probably) and Unity (confirmed) will make it much more likely for more apps to come to Windows Phone, and faster, and the Silverlight platform won't make them suck anymore.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia is listing higher 3g talk times, dramatically higher standby times, and 20 hours more of music playback.

IPhone is rated at 4 at whole hours more of video playback though.

Dat screen! Looks like the higher refresh rates and larger size compared to iPhone are gonna take a toll.

My girlfriend was up for a new phone a few weeks back, so before she went and bought another blackberry(what she had been using for years, since before I met her), I showed her what else is out there, including Windows Phone, Android, and what Apple had. She did not like the Androids, and only wanted the iPhone for Siri. She really, really liked the Lumia line that we saw at the Microsoft store. I told her the new ones were going to come out in the next 2-3 months. She went and bought the Cyan 800 anyway. Her mom is getting an 800 as well, just in Black.

So, two new WP customers. Hopefully, and I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but, hopefully Sprint can bring something to the table and I'll be able to buy it. I'll wait until Christmas, probably, before jumping ship I think. That seems like a good time-table date, IMO.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Wow, it seems that the lack of live til... icons hit hard Joshua

The most advanced mobile OS in the world...still uses the same static weather icon since its inception.

That IS amazing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom