• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

The apps which are there tend to be poor. Facebook, Twitter, Mint, various banking apps, and others are either lacking features now or way behind in getting new features, on top of being shoddy implementations as-is.

The games story is basically pathetic.

The most important thing though is whenever something new comes out. It happens countless times per year - some unexpected fast rising app hits cultural zeitgeist and takes the world by storm. Whether it's Instagram or Draw Something or Angry Birds Space or something else. Whether it sticks around for a week or a month or years. Windows Phone never has it, or gets it late after no one cares anymore.

It doesn't matter for everyone, but it's undoubtedly important to millions for those apps to be there at launch or close. Microsoft's making a big deal out of getting some Zynga games and Angry Birds at the launch of Windows Phone 8 (or whatever it is), but by that time few will care anymore and the world will have moved onto something else.

It's very important to prospective buyers, and the situation absolutely sucks right now. What I'm hoping is that the enablement of native development and popular engines like Unreal (probably) and Unity (confirmed) will make it much more likely for more apps to come to Windows Phone, and faster, and the Silverlight platform won't make them suck anymore.
Well said. My biggest gripe with Windows Phone.

thirty

Banned
WP8 lenses are the next evolution of those apps. I think pureview tech with the lenses are going to be big. cinemagraph, if turned social, like instagram, would be hugh. an animated gif social app, don't tell me I'm the first to think of such a thing?

Commodore

WP8 lenses are the next evolution of those apps. I think pureview tech with the lenses are going to be big. cinemagraph, if turned social, like instagram, would be hugh. an animated gif social app, don't tell me I'm the first to think of such a thing?

If I remember correctly, the Nokia Microsoft Presser here on GAF, most of the presser up to that point was a bunch of posters kinda making fun and scoffing at the tech, and when they showed the cinemagraph, that was where the tipping point was after being shown the camera and the screen tech, more than a few were still dubious, but it was the cinemagraph that finally had posters saying, I'm gonna get this. Come to think of it, why isn't there already apps for something like this already out there on iOS and Android? Aren't there cameras capable of taking a bunch of pictures quickly and splicing them together into a quick little animated GIF?

JaggedSac

If I remember correctly, the Nokia Microsoft Presser here on GAF, most of the presser up to that point was a bunch of posters kinda making fun and scoffing at the tech, and when they showed the cinemagraph, that was where the tipping point was after being shown the camera and the screen tech, more than a few were still dubious, but it was the cinemagraph that finally had posters saying, I'm gonna get this. Come to think of it, why isn't there already apps for something like this already out there on iOS and Android? Aren't there cameras capable of taking a bunch of pictures quickly and splicing them together into a quick little animated GIF?

If I am not mistaken, Cinemagraph is already an app on iOS.

thirty

Banned

there are apps already on the market for android and iphone but they've never taken off big ...yet. nokia bought out scalado, which is the company behind this tech. instagram is so boring to me, now if you add animated gifs, then you have my interest.

http://cinemagram.tumblr.com/

453.gif

exact_373.gif

14251275.gif

13826800.gif

13411770.gif

hwalker84

Now that the iPhone 5 is out it's time for MS to blow the lid off of WP8 and Nokia to give the press some hands on time and release date info(Pricing/Carrier Availability)

Commodore

there are apps already on the market for android and iphone but they've never taken off big ...yet. nokia bought out scalado, which is the company behind this tech. instagram is so boring to me, now if you add animated gifs, then you have my interest.

Agreed. Make it easy, make a nice taggable database, and you'll have a great service that a ton of people would likely love to use.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Shipped my first WinPhone app a few days ago. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have (even if you're not UFC fans). Cross-posted from the MMA thread:

The team I run just shipped a UFC app - IT'S FREE - called "UFC on Xbox LIVE". If you've got a gold account, you can make picks on who's going to win, how they're going to win, and earn points based on your accuracy. Leaderboards track you and 99 of your Live friends as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Shipped my first WinPhone app a few days ago. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have (even if you're not UFC fans). Cross-posted from the MMA thread:

I like it. Takes a bit long on initial load, but once your in it is nice and fast. The way you select your fight picks is cool. Love panoramic design of WP apps.

Edit: also, how do you like the platform?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yep. Got some other cool stuff that I'm working on, but this is one of the few things I can discuss publicly now that's been released. WP8 is a much more inviting dev environment, I'm looking forward to seeing what other stuff comes down the pipe.

Heretic

Yep. Got some other cool stuff that I'm working on, but this is one of the few things I can discuss publicly now that's been released. WP8 is a much more inviting dev environment, I'm looking forward to seeing what other stuff comes down the pipe.
That's great news.

I wonder what phones T-Mobile will be getting. I'm hoping at least the 8x...

Recon

Banned
I know Im not a regular to this thread, but I just wanna say I hope Windows Phone 8 hits it out of the park. I love iOS, but I cant help but get jealous of the new windows phones. HTC and Nokia are showing people up in the hardware department.

I wonder when we will get good enough web browsers to mobile phones so we can end all this web app nonsense. Then we could get more focus on actual applications that do something useful...

thirty

Banned
That's great news.

I wonder what phones T-Mobile will be getting. I'm hoping at least the 8x...
the 8X, Ativ S, and the Nokia 820 were already semi-confirmed for t-mobile via leaked roadmap. the 920 and the 8S were not on that roadmap. we'll see though, still exciting that 3 carriers are looking to have a great selection of WP8 at launch, a far cry from the WP7 launch a couple yrs ago.

thirty

Banned
great app, will come in handy tonight. is this app or anything like it on iOS or android? i'd like to show it off and have bragging rights come the next UFC party.

performance was fine, I did get a little hang up with that "posted to twitter" box that pops up after sharing. with the ufc's permission, it would be great if you could add videos of the event trailers, countdown to UFCs, pre fight interviews, etc, into the app. maybe a UFC newsfeed? addition of fighters profiles? oh, will the app update in real time so i can see how my picks are doing compared to friends? that would make a great companion app if it did.

Milchjon

Rudy Huyn's Wikipedia app was just updated to Version 1.1. You can now personalize it a lot more. I'm really fascinated by this app, it's so well made.Other developers should really strive for the same level of polish and functionality.

Can you share some details about performance optimization and how hard/easy it was to develop it? Maybe even in comparison to iOS/Android?

MattDoza

Rudy Huyn's Wikipedia app was just updated to Version 1.1. You can now personalize it a lot more. I'm really fascinated by this app, it's so well made.Other developers should really strive for the same level of polish and functionality.

You're right, this is really nice.

What's the best Twitter app? Currently using Rowi, but I know there's gotta be more options out there.

hwalker84

I love the app. I downloaded it the same day it went up. Like the other person said: Will it update the results in real time? Also are their any plans on adding video content?

strata8

It's pretty fast, but I really can't bring myself to like the interface... it's such a perversion of Metro. I've been using Wikipedia Reader for a while now and it's really great.

TTOOLL

Almost got the 710 for 100 reais (50USD) unlocked. It's a simple phone but so much better than my LG P500...
The store was closing and I was hungry so I will do it next week. I really want the 920 but there is no talk about it here in Brazil. I believe it will arrive here around March 2013. I can't wait that much =(

squicken

How will os updates be handled with Windows phones? Up to the manufacturers and carriers, or the way Apple does it? Have they settled on a release date yet? Do they not want to announce it b/c potential buyers won't want to wait so long for a purchase if it won't be until November?

Doffen

How will os updates be handled with Windows phones? Up to the manufacturers and carriers, or the way Apple does it? Have they settled on a release date yet? Do they not want to announce it b/c potential buyers won't want to wait so long for a purchase if it won't be until November?

It will be the way that Apple handles it with WP8. WP7 went trough carriers and all sorts of mud.

PG2G

No sign of features like Room that are heavily rumored to be there so I don't know what we can read TOO much into the emulator. We'll see though

PG2G

I'm ignoring most things they say about updates, we've been burned by stuff like that. They seemed pretty adamant about guaranteeing 18 months of updates for devices though, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom