• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkitT

Seems like MS haven't shown anything about WP8 because there is nothing much to show. I would like to be surprised though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
US Virgin Islands offline map? Nice.

Lenses and kids corner seem to be the only differentiating OS features at this point.

Does the built in google maps allow for offline storage? It seems like Apollo is going to leapfrog the competition in navigation thanks to Nokia.

giga

Lenses and kids corner seem to be the only differentiating OS features at this point.

Does the built in google maps allow for offline storage? It seems like Apollo is going to leapfrog the competition in navigation thanks to Nokia.
Yes, but not entire countries.

Troll

Banned
So during my nap today I had this dream about the Nokia 920. Nokia was showing it off in the bay area and I was able to use it for a while. For some reason it had Beats Audio, but whatever. Is this healthy, Gaf?

maeh2k

So during my nap today I had this dream about the Nokia 920. Nokia was showing it off in the bay area and I was able to use it for a while. For some reason it had Beats Audio, but whatever. Is this healthy, Gaf?

If I'm interpreting this correctly -- and I believe I am -- it's your subconscious telling you that you need to buy both the Lumia 920 and the HTC 8X.

It will get changed to $$ cards like PSN but I don't care about rumors.

I need this confirmed as I don't like having my CC on my game consoles and phones.

I buy those Visa gift card for my son to use on his Windows Phone. It's essentially the same thing as giving him Xbox points card.

I will miss the points ... my local store always have 10-20% off points card promo which they won't be able to do once the card switch to real denomination (their policy is no real dollar value can be discount hence they never put PSN card on sale). Fuck those points whining people ... don't know good thing we got. I never understood the hate for points. So what if you have 20-30 points left over, it's no difference than having a dollar or $.20 left in my PSN wallet. With Microsoft points however I can Bing away and earn reward to add to my left over points.

venne

Its ridiculous. I do think theirs a lot to show but now that they're @ the RTM stage we need some good hands on.

I think they are waiting for the iPhone 5 launch afterglow to fade before they make an appearance.

Navigate should help that occur faster.

Seems like there is actually some momentum for the platform, however small. Samsung being the first and weakest was surprising, but both Nokia and HTC brought it pretty strong.

It's now up to Microsoft to close the deal with compelling software features and get developers on board.

Klocker

I think they are waiting for the iPhone 5 launch afterglow to fade before they make an appearance.

Navigate should help that occur faster.

Seems like there is actually some momentum for the platform, however small. Samsung being the first and weakest was surprising, but both Nokia and HTC brought it pretty strong.

It's now up to Microsoft to close the deal with compelling software features and get developers on board.

Yes

It's perfectly normal. I still remember the dream I had, before my Galaxy Nexus arrived.

squicken

It's actually a mix of both methods. You can opt in for all the updates or wait till your carrier approves them.

So who handles the updates if I don't want to wait for my carrier? Am I downloading from MS or from the maker of the phone? I guess what I want to avoid is all the bloatware that I've seen on other phones and tablets and get timely updates

hwalker84

So who handles the updates if I don't want to wait for my carrier? Am I downloading from MS or from the maker of the phone? I guess what I want to avoid is all the bloatware that I've seen on other phones and tablets and get timely updates
There is no bloat on windows phone. Any apps pre installed can be removed. The updates would come directly from MS.

JimiNutz

Banned
There's obviously a lot of love in this thread for the 920 (understandably as it looks like its going to be an awesome phone) but for me the lack of SD card slot is a big deal.

I have a lot of music (just checked today and its about 45gb of tunes that I'd like to have with me). I dont own a large mp3 player and was planning on using my next phone as my primary player.

As a result I was probably gonna get the Samsung Ativ S but people in this thread seem pretty down on it. Is it because they see the phone as a lazy effort from Samsung? Are there any areas where the Ativ S is really lacking? (other than the looks dept)

Second question is, does anyone have a list of all of the Nokia exclusive apps? I know this is an area where Nokia is far out in front but just wondering what exactly I'll be missing out on apps wise if I don't go with a Nokia.

There is no bloat on windows phone. Any apps pre installed can be removed. The updates would come directly from MS.

Wait, the OS updates would be direct from Microsoft like Apple and not like Android? That would be fucking awesome.

Another question, when you download maps, if at all there is an update for that region, would the OS automatically notify you about the update or do you have to manually do it every month or two to see if there are updates.

Milchjon

The Ativ lacks all of the features that make the 920 exciting. It's as vanilla as a WP8 phone is gonna get, it offers nothing but the basic features.
If you can live with the resolution, even a HTC 8S seems like a better idea.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There's obviously a lot of love in this thread for the 920 (understandably as it looks like its going to be an awesome phone) but for me the lack of SD card slot is a big deal.

I have a lot of music (just checked today and its about 45gb of tunes that I'd like to have with me). I dont own a large mp3 player and was planning on using my next phone as my primary player.

As a result I was probably gonna get the Samsung Ativ S but people in this thread seem pretty down on it. Is it because they see the phone as a lazy effort from Samsung? Are there any areas where the Ativ S is really lacking? (other than the looks dept)

Second question is, does anyone have a list of all of the Nokia exclusive apps? I know this is an area where Nokia is far out in front but just wondering what exactly I'll be missing out on apps wise if I don't go with a Nokia.

There may be options in the near future with music and skydrive.

JimiNutz

Banned
The Ativ lacks all of the features that make the 920 exciting. It's as vanilla as a WP8 phone is gonna get, it offers nothing but the basic features.

But is it really lacking in anything? Screen size and resolution look good. Camera sounds good enough. Battery is big enough etc. Im trying to work out whether the 'flashy' features of the 920 will make much difference day to day to me. Where as having all my music will def make a big difference. What about the apps? What will I be missing by not going Nokia?
the skydrive music streaming feature is all but confirmed.

I'd rather not stream. Not until 4g is truly up and running (well) and providers aren't so stingy with their usage policies.

i gotta tell my one cousin that likes windows phone. that should make her happy whenever she goes home.

squicken

Vanilla seems like a good thing to me. If I decide to go WP8 it would be the 8x or the Ativ S. But if I buy a Samsung phone I have to know that I can take all of their software off it. I had a Galaxy Tab Plus for awhile and just couldn't stand all the pre-loaded software on it.

maeh2k

But is it really lacking in anything? Screen size and resolution look good. Camera sounds good enough. Battery is big enough etc. Im trying to work out whether the 'flashy' features of the 920 will make much difference day to day to me. Where as having all my music will def make a big difference. What about the apps? What will I be missing by not going Nokia?

The Ativ will still be a great phone. Here HTC and Nokia get more attention because they have really put in a lot of effort in their new Windows Phones and have seemingly made a bigger bet on the platform, whereas the Ativ is 'only' a WP version of the top Android phone.
The Galaxy S3 will be the highest-selling and possibly best Android phone for quite some time and the Ativ will have pretty much the same hardware (slightly bigger battery). So I'm certain it will be a good option.

JimiNutz

Banned
The Ativ will still be a great phone. Here HTC and Nokia get more attention because they have really put in a lot of effort in their new Windows Phones and have seemingly made a bigger bet on the platform, whereas the Ativ is 'only' a WP version of the top Android phone.
The Galaxy S3 will be the highest-selling and possibly best Android phone for quite some time and the Ativ will have pretty much the same hardware (slightly bigger battery). So I'm certain it will be a good option.

Cool. That's kind of what I suspected.
I may still wait and see what people are saying once the phones are actually released but pretty certain I'll get an Ativ S.
Real shame about the 920 not having more/expandable memory because I really like the look of that phone otherwise...

Commodore

I'd rather not stream. Not until 4g is truly up and running (well) and providers aren't so stingy with their usage policies.

Get some decent smart playlists going. With these cloud services, there's no reason you absolutely need to have everything with you. Using playlists to keep things fresh has saved me a ton of space and for all the stuff you don't have with you, you can stream if needed via XBOX Music's cloud locker. Even on 3G, I find streaming songs works fine. I stream podcasts all the time when I haven't gotten to the computer to sync new ones. And apparently WP8 will have a good data app to keep track of your data usage. So no worries.

Also for kicks, here's an old forum post I wrote out during my Zune days sharing smart playlists (autoplaylists in Zune speak) ideas. I don't know how the new XBOX music app will work with playlists or if at all, but if they do (and they damn well better have playlist support) these should keep things fresh without having to have every single song you own on the phone itself.

The essentials - Playlists that honestly should be incorporated under default settings in the software.

Recently added - autoplaylist that automatically populates the most recently added music you've added to your collection under the criteria you determine. Mine is set to music added in the last 30 days, but you can change that according to the amount of music you add month to month. Zune Pass subscribers usually would set it at shorter intervals, while casual users could set it to the last three months. Just set your autoplaylist to "all" except for the recently added field, where you'll select "recently added" and then you'll type the amount of days you want.

Rated Tracks - Playlist that automatically populates all music you've rated with a heart under one list. Select all your criteria as "all" except for the "Rating" field. I like to "Arrange songs" by "Most played" so that my most played songs are on top. I do that on most of all my playlists that are collected under the Heart rating so I can kick of listening to the best stuff right away. On the flip side, you can create the same type of playlist only under songs you've rated "don't like" so that you have an automatic playlist that populates the songs you can't stand, making it easy to manage them in one fell swoop should you want to delete them from your library. That or you find yourself in the mood to punish yourself by listening to songs that seem designed to punish you. ;)

Great autoplaylists - Playlists that I've come to really appreciate.

100 Most played - Playlist that consists of the songs you listen to most. This is a variation of the Rated playlist, but more concise and specific as it gets right to your best tracks and only your best tracks. You could change the song limit to whatever you want, say make it your Top 40 instead. Just set your "song plays" to "more than" 5,10,20, whatever number you want based on the amount you listen to your music, and your "Song limit" to the number of tracks you want.

Recently added - unplayed - Playlist that contains all songs you've recently added that you have yet to play. Choose recently added, choose the amount of days, and then select never played.

Best of Genres - Multiple playlists based on each of your favorite music genres. I have about five set up that automatically populate specific to each genre under tracks that I've rated within each, making it easy to listen to your favorite tracks under a specific genre. So say one of them is my "Best of Indie-Rock" and is populated with 89 songs I've rated with a heart under the Indie Rock genre. Just set each playlist to grab "rated" tracks, and specify the genre you want it to collect under and sort it however you want, I pick to sort them by "most played".

2008 - Playlist that populates songs based on this year. This one's simple, I figured it would be nice to have an autoplaylist that kept track of all tracks released this year so that I could queue it up and go through my own acquisitions from the industry's 08' offerings.

Best of 2008 - playlist that aggregates all the songs you've rated within any given year. Choose your year, and then include rated songs.

Recently Loved tracks - or self titled New Hotness - Playlist that specifically populates with tracks that have been rated under your own recently added criteria. So right now, mine consists of 28 songs over the past 45 days that I've given a heart to. This playlist is to get right to songs you're into right now. I sort it by date added to get to that song I just added yesterday that I really dugg. So the two fields you need to change is "recently added" and pick "In the last (days)" then pick the amount of days, and pick your Rating to be "Heart", then sort according to your own preference.

Favorite Artists - Best of - This one collects all your designated artist's best stuff according to you. So say you could specify the list to populate with your five favorite artists (or top 10 favorite) by typing them like this in the album artist field: The Beatles;Muse;The Living End;The Format;What Make Milwaukee Famous. Then designate Rating to be Hearted tracks. And sort them by most played or whatever.

Random Unplayed - This playlist consists of populating a list of randomly selected songs you've never played. I coyly entitled mine 'Virgin Sound" Basically it's to discover stuff in your library you haven't gotten a chance to get to know yet. Plus it's a great playlist to listen to and rate songs that pop up that you realize should be rated to move them on to your rated playlists, or to discover songs you didn't realize you had. I keep it to a short list, (mines at a 100 song limit) otherwise it would be a huge list. As you listen, songs will remove and new ones randomly added. Eventually if you keep listening to it, you'll reach a point where there's no more songs and you'll know you've listened to all your tracks which should emit a smile.

Old School - It's an autoplaylist that consists of songs from decades past. It's for any time you're in the mood to take a trip down memory lane. You just have to set the years you want it to cover, from the 30's to the 70's. Or you can get specific and create one for each decade. Just set that criteria in the year fields, from when to when.

Should be loved - This one came to me when listening to my Unplayed Playlist. Basically it consists of my most played songs that aren't rated. It makes for a really good playlist to rate songs that most likely should be rated.

JimiNutz

Banned
Get some decent smart playlists going. With these cloud services, there's no reason you absolutely need to have everything with you. Using playlists to keep things fresh has saved me a ton of space and for all the stuff you don't have with you, you can stream if needed via XBOX Music's cloud locker. Even on 3G, I find streaming songs works fine. I stream podcasts all the time when I haven't gotten to the computer to sync new ones. And apparently WP8 will have a good data app to keep track of your data usage. So no worries.

Also for kicks, here's an old forum post I wrote out during my Zune days sharing smart playlists (autoplaylists in Zune speak) ideas. I don't know how the new XBOX music app will work with playlists or if at all, but if they do (and they damn well better have playlist support) these should keep things fresh without having to have every single song you own on the phone itself.

Thanks for this. I will look into maybe setting up some smart playlists but I;m the kind of person that likes to have his entire collection at his fingertips.

I have pretty eclectic taste so I like to have lots of options and I also like to listen to full albums when driving etc.

I will def experiment with some smart play lists though and see how they work out. If it turns out that I don't really need my full collection then I could always look into getting the 920 at a later date.

I have a 500MB monthly data plan.. I have no idea how cloud music works, but I imagine it's streaming music. If that's true, I'll run trough my plan in a day.

I love how something as simple as that clock live tile makes the 8S/X look like HTC phones

full.png

Milchjon

Vanilla seems like a good thing to me. If I decide to go WP8 it would be the 8x or the Ativ S. But if I buy a Samsung phone I have to know that I can take all of their software off it. I had a Galaxy Tab Plus for awhile and just couldn't stand all the pre-loaded software on it.

On WP7 you could do that, I don't see why it would change with WP8.

I wonder what stops other developers to create an app with a live like that one. I likes.

The fact that WP7.5 doesn't support a tile that size? By the way I think this might just customisation on Windows Phone 8 a lot, since devs can create different kinds of clock 'widgets' now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The fact that WP7.5 doesn't support a tile that size? By the way I think this might just customisation on Windows Phone 8 a lot, since devs can create different kinds of clock 'widgets' now.

I'm talking about WP8. I'm not sure if HTC would like developers to copy that idea so Nokia users could also enjoy a "Sense" tile (I certainly wouldn't mind).

It's kind of silly that such a little thing gets me hot and bothered.

Milchjon

I wonder what stops other developers to create an app with a live like that one. I likes.

I always think that tile is ridiculously useless. You have a big clock on the locksceen, you have a small clock at the top. I don't see any situation where it would make sense to look at that HTC tile.
It's also kinda ugly. Is that even Segoe?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
The giant clock tile looks cool, but I really don't see a point.

Since the lock screen already has a large clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom