• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always think that tile is ridiculously useless. You have a big clock on the locksceen, you have a small clock at the top. I don't see any situation where it would make sense to look at that HTC tile.
It's also kinda ugly. Is that even Segoe?

If it is like the HTC Tile in WP7 it will act as a weather app too( & possibly News & Stocks as well, as the app has feeds for those).

I always think that tile is ridiculously useless. You have a big clock on the locksceen, you have a small clock at the top. I don't see any situation where it would make sense to look at that HTC tile.
It's also kinda ugly. Is that even Segoe?

Redundant clocks, just like Android!

The giant clock tile looks cool, but I really don't see a point.

Since the lock screen already has a large clock.

On my phone, tapping the clock at the right area leads me to a weather app and tapping the clock on the left area leads me to an alarm clock app.

Milchjon

I really don't understand why MS would wait until everything is leaked from the SDK until they announce the missing features. So stupid.

Rooms revealed.

Wonder if that's limited to WP8 phones, which would render the feature useless.

For those who had been following LiveSide, Microsoft already has a Windows Live Groups service, now part of SkyDrive, that allow members of a group to share calendars, photos, and collaborate on documents on SkyDrive, as well as participating in group chat on Messenger. Whether this new “Rooms” feature on Windows Phone 8 has any relationship with Windows Live Groups remains unknown.
They already have such a feature, so no, it won't have anything to do with it. It would make too much sense.

So it's still not available to developers? Because that sounds even more concerning.

If it's out, they should realize that it's always gonna leak. Even Apple couldn't keep their shit under wraps.

Selected developers have the SDK. Others have to keep building WP7 apps for WP8.

That is some mean reality check.

It wouldn't surprise me. BlackBerry phones have super apps.

Super Apps are the kinds of apps that people love, that they use every day because they offer such a seamless, integrated, contextualized and efficient experience. Our developers are able to build in that enhanced experience because of the unique capabilities of the BlackBerry platform.

is there an easy way to migrate my google contacts to my microsoft id? atm I have google and microsoft as active accounts on my phone, but i'd like to get out of googles ecosystem completely and delete my account there. so is there a way to keep my contacts that are still in there easily?

kehs

Banned
is there an easy way to migrate my google contacts to my microsoft id? atm I have google and microsoft as active accounts on my phone, but i'd like to get out of googles ecosystem completely and delete my account there. so is there a way to keep my contacts that are still in there easily?

Export a CSV and then import into live through the desktop. Not sure if live has a migration tool, would be surprised if they don't.

frontieruk

When I signed up for an outlook.com address their was an option to import contacts in the original welcome email

Go to contacts in your live account on pc and you can import from Facebook, google, twitter, linkedin or the csv coco had you made ;)

You can link your google account with your Ms account... All your google contacts will remain in sync...

But if you desire to edit/delete any of those imported contacts you will have to use google.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A couple of things I hope are fixed in regards to Facebook:

-A better app. Hopefully, with better system access, FB will make a better app that uses native code like the iOS and Android versions. Right now, the app is pathetic. Remember when they added the ability to "like" comments? Well, I don't know about you, but it doesn't work for me.

-The picture uploads get bumped up in resolution for the built-in integration. I like that they get uploaded super quick, but the quality is highly lacking when I view the photos back via my PC.

Razdek

Banned
Those screenshots reveal a lot of the setting options if not all of them. What else do you guys hope to make the cut? Off the top of my head I'd like the following:

• Wifi constantly on
  • Apps that are already open to remain open when switching back and forth and not restart. Don't have to use the task cards
  • Search button is back to context search and not Bing
  • Options to change the font in the mail app
  • Remove the limit on the number of computers you can have the XBOX/Zune music app on
  • Ability to add safe senders in the mail app so I don't have to tap to download the pictures everytime
  • More Facebook and Twitter features in the People hub
  • Sound equilizer for Music (I know it won't happen)
  • Ability for third party apps to update the tile more frequently instead of every 30 mins
  • Abiltity to create an MP3 ringtone by selecting an MP3
  • Notification LED
  • More tile animations styles

These are small items but I think each one adds up and makes the experience more delightful.

Tomcat

Those screenshots reveal a lot of the setting options if not all of them. What else do you guys hope to make the cut? Off the top of my head I'd like the following:

• Wifi constantly on
  • Apps that are already open to remain open when switching back and forth and not restart. Don't have to use the task cards
  • Remove the limit on the number of computers you can have the XBOX/Zune music app on
  • Ability to add safe senders in the mail app so I don't have to tap to download the pictures everytime
  • Ability for third party apps to update the tile more frequently instead of every 30 mins
  • Notification LED

These are small items but I think each one adds up and makes the experience more delightful.

for wifi always on check the app keep alive
it works

The picture uploads get bumped up in resolution for the built-in integration. I like that they get uploaded super quick, but the quality is highly lacking when I view the photos back via my PC.

the SDK has shown that there are now options for quality when uploading photos & videos. something like low, medium & original quality, with the original requiring wi-fi.

venne

• Wifi constantly on
  • Notification LED

Pretty sure the download option on emails is a bandwidth saving measure.

Which makes sense on cellular but not WiFi.

ElNino

The Nokia Lumia page says that the phone will come packaged with headphones, even lists the model. Nokia WH 208 in ear buds.
The 900 came with Nokia buds as well (in Canada at least), but as with all pack-in headphones they were nothing special. I have them in the bedroom if I want to use the Lumia while my wife is sleeping and I need sound, but otherwise I just use my normal headphones that I use for everything else (Zune HD, Vita, etc).

Milchjon

The earbuds that came with my 800 were unbelievably bad. They don't fit my ears at all, always fall out, and sound pretty bad. That's why I'm psyched about in ears

kazinova

Man, I keep reading this thread and want to talk about what will be coming with my 920, or what features will be here or there. But it's more than a month off at this point. THey haven't even announced a price...arg...

The earbuds that came with my 800 were unbelievably bad. They don't fit my ears at all, always fall out, and sound pretty bad. That's why I'm psyched about in ears

Funny thing, I could say the exact opposite for the earbuds that came with my 900. They fit comfortably in my ears, they don't fall out, and they don't sound like I'm underwater. Are we even using the same earbuds? xD

AnkitT

Lately i've been feeling that the 800 was always meant as a beta phone. Something analogous to wp7.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
great app, will come in handy tonight. is this app or anything like it on iOS or android? i'd like to show it off and have bragging rights come the next UFC party.

performance was fine, I did get a little hang up with that "posted to twitter" box that pops up after sharing. with the ufc's permission, it would be great if you could add videos of the event trailers, countdown to UFCs, pre fight interviews, etc, into the app. maybe a UFC newsfeed? addition of fighters profiles? oh, will the app update in real time so i can see how my picks are doing compared to friends? that would make a great companion app if it did.
Thanks for the feedback. To answer your first query, the app features are the same across all platforms, and when you refresh on leaderboards, you can see exactly how your pick accuracy is when compared to friends on your LIVE list. If you're looking for a one to one comparison (like when you compare Gamerscore against friends, for example), that's a pretty cool idea and I'll bring it up with the MS team.

ElNino

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your first query, the app features are the same across all platforms, and when you refresh on leaderboards, you can see exactly how your pick accuracy is when compared to friends on your LIVE list. If you're looking for a one to one comparison (like when you compare Gamerscore against friends, for example), that's a pretty cool idea and I'll bring it up with the MS team.
Nice work on the UFC app. Perfomance is good once it is loaded, but it did allow me to make a few poor choices for 152. ;-)

Echoing some earlier feedback, it would be nice if the app had the official UFC promo videos (countdown shows, weigh-ins, etc.) and if you could view more than just the most recent event (maybe this will happen going forward?).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Managing assets for multiple events is probably not going to happen. I'm not sure how the Xbox 360 version of the app works (glances at colleague's desk) but you're probably more apt to see a couple of the other features implemented down the road. I'm glad you found it useful for the PPV, though.

ElNino

Managing assets for multiple events is probably not going to happen. I'm not sure how the Xbox 360 version of the app works (glances at colleague's desk) but you're probably more apt to see a couple of the other features implemented down the road. I'm glad you found it useful for the PPV, though.
Yeah, I can understand not wanting to keep the assets for mutiple events, especially if that included videos. When I wrote that, I was thinking of the results more than anything but seeing as I can find that info in plenty of other places I guess it wouldn't be that important here. The promo videos from the Xbox 360 version would be terrific though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom