• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

H3xum

Dear WMP7gaf

I humbly ask for your assistance in regards to visual voicemail.

Does it actually work with the 900? I picked mine up but am having no such luck getting it going

ChanHuk

Banned
So somebody is dropping the ball with this one at Microsoft. They were dumbfounded when I showed up, said they haven't met with their AT&T reps yet so they can't do an exchange, but you can try an AT&T store. Went to AT&T and they said I had to return it at the point of sale. So now I'm stuck with a Lumia 900 that can't get data.

Interesting note, the AT&T rep that was at the store said Nokia knew about the issue before launch. The phones that they had for demoing had the same issues and Nokia were said to be working on it and released an update before launch but it wasn't fixed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Any other good impressions of the Lumia 900 after using it for a few days? I'm irrationally freaking out about the chrome finish flaking off--that sounds terrible.

Is that really happening? My wife hasn't had any build quality issue, but I'll look out for that.

Raistlin

I stopped in at an AT&T store yesterday. Had all the signage and displays going.

My intent was to find out of it would be possible to buy (outright) one of the 900's, and then return it for the white and still get the $100 Nokia discount. Unfortunately the discount is applied as a credit to your next month's bill ... meaning whether you get it is entirely tied to the activation date of the phone - not purchase date. Since that would mean actually opening up the phone and having them set it up, this is a non-starter. Wouldn't be able to return it for a different color.

Having looked at the accessories, unfortunately the bumper isn't what I'd hoped. Doesn't stick out enough to protect the camera, and is a bit loose on the sides. My plan is to now get a black 900 (since I suspect that will be easier to re-sell), and get the cyan gel-case. The case is really tight and you hardly notice it. It should make a black 900 look like the cyan unless you examine it closely.

Probably going to purchase it on Saturday. I'm going to send Nokia some emails and see if they'll release a white version of the gel cases. Either way, I think I'm going to also order the in-ear Purity headphones. Trying to decide on white or cyan ... think I'll do white since I'll probably keep them for my next phone. White should go with anything.

The Luna bluetooth sets like nice. Cool features too. I like how it will automatically answer a call when you pick it up and hang ups when you put it back down into the dock. That should be really sweet for car usage. In my case though, I have Ford MyTouch ... so I don't need anything in the car. And the Purity headphones have a mic, so I'm good when walking around, etc.

Anyway ... I'm pretty excited to get an intermediate phone before Apollo. My Focus is going to become a dev phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The gel case stained my wife's phone, something to do with the cheap dye of the case rubbing off on the matte material Nokia uses. I was able to rub it off with a damp cloth but anyone with a 900 should avoid these super tight gel cases.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I checked out the 900 at Rogers and it felt really nice and I definitely can live with the black at least until I get a WP8 next year :p I also went to Best Buy and I will be able exchange my Focus due to the burn in. They had a couple 900s in transit so I will have to wait to do the exchange. Hope it arrives soon.

Just got off the phone with Rogers Business Department... They've sold out of all their Lumia 900's.. I called everyday for the past 3 days to see if they'll be getting the Lumia 900 in cyan, finally I gave in and figured I'll purchase the black model... SOLD OUT.

Happy to see it selling well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got off the phone with Rogers Business Department... They've sold out of all their Lumia 900's.. I called everyday for the past 3 days to see if they'll be getting the Lumia 900 in cyan, finally I gave in and figured I'll purchase the black model... SOLD OUT.

Happy to see it selling well.

I think some stores are just getting them. A Rogers I went to in Calgary had a few.

ChanHuk

Banned
South Coast Plaza Microsoft store is full of idiots except for one helpful guy.

Most of them never heard of an issue with the Lumia 900 and told me to take it up with AT&T until someone who actually had a Lumia 900 with data issues helped me out and swapped out phones understanding that nobody wants something broken from the get go.

Commodore

South Coast Plaza Microsoft store is full of idiots except for one helpful guy.

Most of them never heard of an issue with the Lumia 900 and told me to take it up with AT&T until someone who actually had a Lumia 900 with data issues helped me out and swapped out phones understanding that nobody wants something broken from the get go.

Glad you got it squared away. Aren't you planning on selling it though? It was just a matter of time till an update for the data problem hit later this month.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Glad you got it squared away. Aren't you planning on selling it though? It was just a matter of time till an update for the data problem hit later this month.

FHjKh.gif

My data stopped again.. but just like last time, a reboot fixed it.

It's a minor nuisance at the moment.. happy with the device otherwise.

ChanHuk

Banned

Well I just got done raging at clouds but yeah it was a matter of days for the update. The device was basically a dumbphone rather than a smartphone. It was only good for making calls.

I'm probably going to give it to my mom. She seem to like the device and could use it fairly well (She said the iPhone was easier to use) and really liked the bright vivid screen.

The gel case stained my wife's phone, something to do with the cheap dye of the case rubbing off on the matte material Nokia uses. I was able to rub it off with a damp cloth but anyone with a 900 should avoid these super tight gel cases.

Yes, there was a post about this I think it was in the last OT.

Thanks guys. I'm really sorry about the huge delay and the OP isn't really finished yet. I'll have to tweak few things here and there. But still, if it wasn't for frontieruk, it wouldn't be up at all. Unlike many other people, he actually helped me when he said so and did a big part of the Bing section and helped me finish the animated banner. It's actually rotating between the Lumia 800, Focus S and Radar. Soon there will be two additional clips in the banner. Yes, I'm a bit mad, but you guys know that Metro works best in motion.

I made it really easy to update the phone tiles, but I'm thinking about ditching the carrier tile, because it's a huge pain to maintain it.

Thanks for all your work on our new OT. It looks beautifully difference.

On another note I don't think I can wait for Apollo ...

I thought it already started? Or are you from another division?

I will be joining the division soon, fulltime. I Interned last summer. Still have contacts with people. Without really saying anything, it seems like dogfooding for this next version is coming along as swimmingly as Mango's testing phase went.

I will be joining the division soon, fulltime. I Interned last summer. Still have contacts with people. Without really saying anything, it seems like dogfooding for this next version is coming along as swimmingly as Mango's testing phase went.

Congrats! Now you can get fired by leaking many details into this thread and for the OP. I can't wait!

Klocker

Originally Posted by brotkasten:
Thanks guys. I'm really sorry about the huge delay and the OP isn't really finished yet. I'll have to tweak few things here and there. But still, if it wasn't for frontieruk, it wouldn't be up at all. Unlike many other people, he actually helped me when he said so and did a big part of the Bing section and helped me finish the animated banner. It's actually rotating between the Lumia 800, Focus S and Radar. Soon there will be two additional clips in the banner. Yes, I'm a bit mad, but you guys know that Metro works best in motion.

I made it really easy to update the phone tiles, but I'm thinking about ditching the carrier tile, because it's a huge pain to maintain it.
Thanks for all your work on our new OT. It looks beautifully difference.

On another note I don't think I can wait for Apollo ...

agreed

thanks!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tomorrow hopefully I will have a 900 through an exchange at Best Buy. They had it in stock tonight but it was too late. Barring a factory reset on my Focus curing my screen-burn I will have it, hopefully retaining my current time frame into my contract.

Razdek

Banned
If Apollo doesn't deliver can we get a chalkboard with a list of WP release names getting crossed off like the one for PS3 while we wait for the next release? That would be kinda funny but I'm hoping Apollo is all that and more.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
If Apollo doesn't deliver can we get a chalkboard with a list of WP release names getting crossed off like the one for PS3 while we wait for the next release? That would be kinda funny but I'm hoping Apollo is all that and more.

well its not like MS hasn't delivered, mango was everything we expected.

Just unlocked my Rogers Lumia 900 this morning and have been using it all day.

AqWE78jCEAAF5mZ.jpg

It's quite the upgrade from my Focus, things just seem smoother, and I didn't even think that was possible. That's not even considering how much nicer this device is to hold - it really is beautiful.

I'm really hoping Apollo comes to the 900. If not, I suppose I'll have to upgrade again, but this phone is the best phone I have ever used in my life, so I don't mind using it in the mean time.

One thing that I'm wondering though, I remember there was talk about a Network Setup app in the marketplace from Nokia, but I'm not seeing it. Without it, I am unable to configure MMS settings, unfortunately. Not a HUGE deal, but still kinda frustrating nonetheless... Any news on that coming back?

MCD

You are right, not seeing Nokia Network Setup and Nokia Music on the marketplace on my Lumia 800 too.

What's going on?

Fjolle

One thing that I'm wondering though, I remember there was talk about a Network Setup app in the marketplace from Nokia, but I'm not seeing it. Without it, I am unable to configure MMS settings, unfortunately. Not a HUGE deal, but still kinda frustrating nonetheless... Any news on that coming back?

It might not be listed in the Nokia collection. Viewing another app from nokia and click Nokia Corporation to show all the apps they have released.

Otherwise try opening This link on your phone.

Business

Just got a cyan Lumia 800. Very happy so far with this phone and OS. Granted I came from and old Nokia E71...

Been waiting for years for "the next iPhone" but after getting an iPad last year, thought an iPhone is just more of the same. WP feels fresh and does all I need for a phone, really love the UI, specially visually.

Wanted to thank everyone that contributes to this thread, for keeping it informative and making me "discover" WP.

It might not be listed in the Nokia collection. Viewing another app from nokia and click Nokia Corporation to show all the apps they have released.

Otherwise try opening This link on your phone.

Not in the Nokia Collection, nor is it under their dev name. That link sends me to the application, though it's called Persiapan Jaringan, and it says it isn't available for my device. Definitely looks to be the right app, though. Is there any way to ping Nokia about this? Or was it pulled for the 900?

Fjolle

Not in the Nokia Collection, nor is it under their dev name. That link sends me to the application, though it's called Persiapan Jaringan, and it says it isn't available for my device. Definitely looks to be the right app, though. Is there any way to ping Nokia about this? Or was it pulled for the 900?

I guess that they haven't published it in Canada then. It should be somewhat easy to fix if they are aware of it (Unlike Amazon grrr....). Try calling Nokia directly via http://www.nokia.com/ca-en/support/contact/ .

kazinova

is it wrong for me to hope this happens.

Is it wrong that we need someone to leak information illegally to keep the faithful appeased? Shouldn't MS actively be doing this to keep me from retreating back to the iPhone?

My keyboard still runs away from me as I'm typing, CONSTANTLY. I'm sick of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom