• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshua Topolski has top line, beautiful HTC 8X', and he spends two mintunes talking about them, one and a half minute of those two minutes he spent on wanting Android on them, 30 seconds on how beautiful the iPhone is.

What a douche.

frontieruk

so is there going to be be a GAF driven site for WP8 enough of us will have handsets, and enough of us will be able to cover 7.8 when it finally arrives...

kazinova

"Despite the flaws with the ecosystem you can't deny the beauty and ease of use of the OS on the Mac. Everyone should switch to the Mac and the ecosystem will get better"
- Tech Journalists in 2001

"I love the look and feel of Windows Phone 8, and the devices are amazing and top notch. But the ecosystem just isn't there; I'd never recommend anyone get a Windows Phone."
- Tech Journalists in 2012

No one sees the irony?

zero_suit

"Despite the flaws with the ecosystem you can't deny the beauty and ease of use of the OS on the Mac. Everyone should switch to the Mac and the ecosystem will get better"

"I love the look and feel of Windows Phone 8, and the devices are amazing and top notch. But the ecosystem just isn't there; I'd never recommend anyone get a Windows Phone."

No one sees the irony?

HAHAHAHA

Doffen

Joshua Topolski has top line, beautiful HTC One X', and he spends two mintunes talking about them, one and a half minute of those two minutes he spent on wanting Android on them, 30 seconds on how beautiful the iPhone is.

What a douche.

But he's not a hater becuz he owns an Xbox 360!!!

venne

No one sees the irony?

AAPL had more potential upside than MSFT.

Bloggers gotta get paid, son.

f0lken

Topolsky isn't going to change his toughts on WP even if tomorrow there were a million more apps and "ecosystem" on it, the important thing for me is that those HTC phones looked great in the video and even better than the renders

maeh2k

MS is setting itself up for disappointment.

Going by the SDK leaks on winunleaked there aren't any big surprises left. Everything about WP8 seems to be known. A lot of the things people have complained about in WP7 are unchanged. E.g. volume control or multi-tasking, which seems to be identical to WP7 but now reportedly with seven apps instead of five.
(WP8 is already a really huge under-the-hood update, so it's not that surprising that they didn't tackle every little issue people have with the OS; the things they did add like lenses, voip integration, backup functionality, maps/navigation, and rooms will be great, though)

There are lots of complaints about MS not revealing anything and not releasing the SDK.

The verge and other sites will criticize WP8 for all the same reasons as they critisized WP7.

Now there's allegedly a chance Nokia is going to sue HTC (see http://wmpoweruser.com/report-nokia-to-sue-htc-over-lumia-windows-phone-device-designs/). You'd think having more WP support and more really nice colorful phones out there would be good for the ecosystem and mutually beneficial for Nokia and HTC.

I really really hope WP8 will do well and get more support from carriers, OEM, better marketing... It just deserves to do well.

I'm getting a Lumia 800 soon, but there's one thing still bothering me. How easy is it to type on one? I'm a bit worried about the whole touchscreen typing-thing due to past experiences.

Last time I had a touchscreen phone (the LG Cookie), the touchscreen was so horrible and unresponsive that I gave up after half a year and bought a Nokia E63. That was over 2 years ago.

I'm getting a Lumia 800 soon, but there's one thing still bothering me. How easy is it to type on one? I'm a bit worried about the whole touchscreen typing-thing due to past experiences.

Last time I had a touchscreen phone (the LG Cookie), the touchscreen was so horrible and unresponsive that I gave up after half a year and bought a Nokia E63. That was over 2 years ago.

Responsiveness should be the last thing in your mind--it'll be plenty responsive. I actually like WP's keyboard more than iOS (haven't used Android versions). iOS feels too cramped and doesn't have immediate access to some useful symbols as WP does.

f0lken

The keyboard on WP is the best along with the iOS one, responsive, easy to type, both are miles ahead of any Android keyboard

Responsiveness should be the last thing in your mind--it'll be plenty responsive. I actually like WP's keyboard more than iOS (haven't used Android versions). iOS feels too cramped and doesn't have immediate access to some useful symbols as WP does.

The keyboard on WP is the best along with the iOS one, responsive, easy to type, both are miles ahead of any Android keyboard

Sounds good. It'll probably take some getting used to after using this for two years, but the old beastie is starting to show its age.

3NHQ8m.jpg

Cipherr

Joshua Topolski has top line, beautiful HTC 8X', and he spends two mintunes talking about them, one and a half minute of those two minutes he spent on wanting Android on them, 30 seconds on how beautiful the iPhone is.

What a douche.

I was expecting to come back and defend him on that. I think people blow that stuff out of proportion a bit with Josh, but you are right.

That was really awkward, the phones look great, you are talking about W8, and then for no reason you just launch into "I wish this ran Android" and "Well I'm not going to buy these but I would consider it at least" and top it off with "Just make this the next Android Nexus phone!". The fuck?

I'd sue, too.

HTC totally outdid Nokia on the phone design and vivid colors IMO. Those HTC phones look fantastic. But the Nokia phones have better tech.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm holding my wife's matte 900 and I just can't see me going with gloss plastic. I want red or yellow, but matte feels amazing. I guess grey it shall be. *sigh*

I want a phone with 920's tech, 8x's body, and the Ativ's sd slot and large battery. Is that too much to ask?

venne

I'm holding my wife's matte 900 and I just can't see me going with gloss plastic. I wang red or yellow, but matte feels amazing. I guess Frey it shall be. *sigh*

I want a phone with 920's tech, 8x's body, and the Ativ's sd slot and large battery. Is that too much to ask?

That's one thing the iOS has going for it.

You don't feel like you're compromising because you don't have a choice.

I'd take the amp and front facing camera from the HTC and the rest from the 920. Samsung whiffed.

Commodore

I'm holding my wife's matte 900 and I just can't see me going with gloss plastic. I wang red or yellow, but matte feels amazing. I guess Frey it shall be. *sigh*

UlZMB.png

Sorry. Game of Thrones reference

Also, I know this is wmpoweruser, but this is the first I've read that a grey 920 won't be at release.

“Yesterday at the Photokina in Cologne, Germany Nokia’s employees answered “I’m sure it will come later like grey and – but I’m not absolutely sure – black” to the question whether a cyan Lumia 920 will be available and which colors will be the first to be released. Also, a different Nokia employee told me in a private chat that there is a cyan Lumia 920 planned, but the company is not absolutely sure if and when it will be released.

If you take a look at previous rumors, hints and discoveries you will notice that a cyan Nokia Lumia 920 was seen several times in videos or comparisons.

WTF.

Razdek

Banned
MS is setting itself up for disappointment.

Going by the SDK leaks on winunleaked there aren't any big surprises left. Everything about WP8 seems to be known. A lot of the things people have complained about in WP7 are unchanged. E.g. volume control or multi-tasking, which seems to be identical to WP7 but now reportedly with seven apps instead of five.
(WP8 is already a really huge under-the-hood update, so it's not that surprising that they didn't tackle every little issue people have with the OS; the things they did add like lenses, voip integration, backup functionality, maps/navigation, and rooms will be great, though)

There are lots of complaints about MS not revealing anything and not releasing the SDK.

The verge and other sites will criticize WP8 for all the same reasons as they critisized WP7.

Now there's allegedly a chance Nokia is going to sue HTC (see http://wmpoweruser.com/report-nokia-to-sue-htc-over-lumia-windows-phone-device-designs/). You'd think having more WP support and more really nice colorful phones out there would be good for the ecosystem and mutually beneficial for Nokia and HTC.

I really really hope WP8 will do well and get more support from carriers, OEM, better marketing... It just deserves to do well.

multi-tasking is the same? Ah man that really sucks and disappointing. I hope this is because they didn't have time to do it and not that they think it is good enough because it isn't.

PG2G

multi-tasking is the same? Ah man that really sucks and disappointing. I hope this is because they didn't have time to do it and not that they think it is good enough because it isn't.

Which part of the multitasking bothers you right now? WP8 addresses the major issues IMO, which were lack of support or background location and lack of support for VOIP. This pretty much blocked out entire classes of applications.

I'm not a fan of the whole "launch a new instance from the start screen" behavior, but that might be here to stay I guess :/

Razdek

Banned
Which part of the multitasking bothers you right now? WP8 addresses the major issues IMO, which were lack of support or background location and lack of support for VOIP. This pretty much blocked out entire classes of applications.

I'm not a fan of the whole "launch a new instance from the start screen" behavior, but that might be here to stay I guess :/

Yes having the app relaunch if you don't choose it from the backstack is really annoying and that should have been fixed with this release.

dLMN8R

Yes having the app relaunch if you don't choose it from the backstack is really annoying and that should have been fixed with this release.

Fixed? That assumes that MS thinks its broken. They don't. It behaves exactly how they intend.

I can tell you that the team that designed the experience for WP7 and 7.5 intentionally designed it that way. It led to a bunch of very fun, frustrating, and baffling arguments on internal mailing lists.

The discussions were also productive.

Razdek

Banned
I can tell you that the team that designed the experience for WP7 and 7.5 intentionally designed it that way. It led to a bunch of very fun, frustrating, and baffling arguments on internal mailing lists.

seriously? who in their right mind thought this was an elegant solution for this and I was hoping it would be like Windows 8. I'd like the see the arguments for this method.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Wow.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The most coherent argument I've heard used is that you want to give the user consistent behavior. So, for example, if you open the calendar app, you don't want to be thrust into a random appointment you were looking at the day before.

Yet, considering how few apps are actually kept in memory, I don't see it as a valid argument. It's not like it keeps apps in memory from a day ago. It's very limited and so any apps still in memory are apps that were recently used and so the user is not going to be confused about where it opens up.

thirty

Banned
I don't mind the current method but I surely hope the multi-task screen was improved and we can cancel apps without having to re-enter them. was adding an "X" too much to ask? yeah, I just use the back button to revive my apps.

thirty

Banned
as to the 8X and Nokia, I think Nokia is in trouble if they can't deliver the 920 to carriers besides ATT. these aren't the days where ATT had the iPhone exclusive and Verizon had a single Droid phone. there are tons of "hero" phones available for every carrier now and I think the mass market isn't going to change to ATT just for the 920. they'll just stick to their carrier, buy an iPhone, one of many androids, or the HTC 8X.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
as to the 8X and Nokia, I think Nokia is in trouble if they can't deliver the 920 to carriers besides ATT. these aren't the days where ATT had the iPhone exclusive and Verizon had a single Droid phone. there are tons of "hero" phones available for every carrier now and I think the mass market isn't going to change to ATT just for the 920. they'll just stick to their carrier, buy an iPhone, one of many androids, or the HTC 8X.

Agreed. The 920 needs to come several carriers in each market.

Razdek

Banned
Well, he specifically mentioned 7 and 7.5, and said the discussions were productive, so... let's wait and see how it ends up :p

I hope so and I agree, this carrier exclusive stuff has to stop and Nokia should be trying as hard as they can to have it on as many carriers as possible. It looks like the HTC 8X is going to be on a lot more then the Lumia.

zedge

AnkitT

A question directed to the lumia 800 folk who had the headphone music while browsing hangup ordeal: did you guys force update to tango, or use cabs to send update?

Razdek

Banned
The most coherent argument I've heard used is that you want to give the user consistent behavior. So, for example, if you open the calendar app, you don't want to be thrust into a random appointment you were looking at the day before.

Yet, considering how few apps are actually kept in memory, I don't see it as a valid argument. It's not like it keeps apps in memory from a day ago. It's very limited and so any apps still in memory are apps that were recently used and so the user is not going to be confused about where it opens up.

Yea that is a pretty weak argument if that's what was debated. It's not like this concept is new and Microsoft had it long ago with So Windows Mobile. I know I know different platform but they should had took the best aspects of it and used that as a base when they were developing WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom