• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

VFRv+

Watch yo back, M$!

TTOOLL

Just got a very cheap Lumia 710, bye Android.

I need a weather app and a data usage pls =)

any other recommendation would be great! thanks!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Nokia had there own data usuage app called Counters. For weather I use Weather Live. Amazing Weather is also good.

derFeef

Amazing Weather is cool for it's live tile features and is quite reliable.
Regarding data usage, there is one Nokia app coming too, or is that already out for some countries?

TTOOLL

The Nokia counter is not avaiable in Brazil :( any other alternatives?
I'try amazing weather!

no autocorrection in the keyboard?

Thanks

edit: every time I lock the screen my wi-fi is turned off?

Tomcat

thats the only app for data counter
as for the wifi yes its designed that way

if you dont want to do that download the app "keep alive"

freshair

If you're looking for something simple that just tells you the weather (with a live tile), try the Microsoft Weather app.

My only issue with this app is that it doesn't use the gps to update the tile to your current location.

I like Weathermaster's live tile, but the app is ugly.

Weatherflow has a nice live tile (though I rather have forecasts than comparison's to yesterday's weather) and the app is nice, but is slow to update upon launch.

My favorite is Amazing Weather. Live tile is nice and has the option between 'real weather gfx' or metro style. It updates the location via gps and launches quickly.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just got a chance to see the Elop interview recorded on the 920. You can tell the person recording was definitely moving the phone a lot to test the OIS, and it overwhelmingly delivered. If you wanted to shoot a video like that with a competing smartphone, you'd have to use a stand and keep it stationary. That's the bottom line.

Someone earlier in this thread apologized for doubting the Pureview moniker on this phone. I doubted it at first too, and now I'm definitely a believer. You can argue about the weight and size, that's a legitimate complaint for some, but this phone is going to be a beast and EASILY the most exciting hardware release in smartphones this fall.

venne

Just got a chance to see the Elop interview recorded on the 920. You can tell the person recording was definitely moving the phone a lot to test the OIS, and it overwhelmingly delivered. If you wanted to shoot a video like that with a competing smartphone, you'd have to use a stand and keep it stationary. That's the bottom line.

Someone earlier in this thread apologized for doubting the Pureview moniker on this phone. I doubted it at first too, and now I'm definitely a believer. You can argue about the weight and size, that's a legitimate complaint for some, but this phone is going to be a beast and EASILY the most exciting hardware release in smartphones this fall.

I can't wait so see what else they have planned for pureview in the future.

It's clear they realize it's a key differentiator.

I'm getting my wife a white one at launch (unless cyan makes an appearance). I think I'll hold out until the spring/summer for a Lumia 1000, we'll see how that goes. . . .

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm getting my wife a white one at launch (unless cyan makes an appearance). I think I'll hold out until the spring/summer for a Lumia 1000, we'll see how that goes. . . .

I want to wait. My upgrade is next June, and you know there will likely be a new Pureview out by then. I don't think I can though. We will see. One thing I could do is sell my Focus S and get a 900, but then I'd just resent the fact that I don't have Apollo and dat camera, dat screen, and dat dual core snapdragon.

thirty

Banned
yeah I can't wait. I think i'll stick with my $30 t-mobile plan, buy either the 820 or 8x then wait for the next pureview and/or t-mobile to fire up their 1900mhz towers so I can use ATT phones on their service. if t-mobile manages to get the 920 then that's my next phone.

hwalker84

I want to wait. My upgrade is next June, and you know there will likely be a new Pureview out by then. I don't think I can though. We will see. One thing I could do is sell my Focus S and get a 900, but then I'd just resent the fact that I don't have Apollo and dat camera, dat screen, and dat dual core snapdragon.
Dats what im talking about.
I wake up everyday wondering when the hell do I get to preorder the damn thing. My patience is wearing thin even though there's nothing I can do about it. Yellow Day 1!!

Commodore

cnet's Always On with Molly Wood, did a torture test with Jeff Cannata on the Nokia 900 this week. That little sucker held up like a champ. That screen is indestructible, but it finally got some massive scuffs on the corners when they drove off with the phone on the roof of Jeff's car a couple times. He finally killed it by jumping into a pool with the 900 in his pocket(without the sim cover, but still water kills just about any gadget) Answers one of my questions about how durable that polycarbonate casing is. Anybody with a 900 find they get scratches in the plastic with just normal wear and tear, or can it manage to more or less live case free?

Jeff was pretty surprised at how tough the 900 was, but he Topolsky'ed it up at one point saying "too bad it's a Windows Phone". Nokia/Microsoft still have a long way to go to not be a joke to the Cannatas and Topolskys of the world. If we can just get there, where its just a viable alternative, and the name doesn't bring an instant sneer to those dudes, it'll mean we've finally beaten blackberry...
and it will barely be something to crow about

Edit: btw, Jeff tweeted me back and said it was a joke. #notsureifserious

Troll

Banned
cnet's Always On with Molly Wood, did a torture test with Jeff Cannata on the Nokia 900 this week. That little sucker held up like a champ. That screen is indestructible, but it finally got some massive scuffs on the corners when they drove off with the phone on the roof of Jeff's car a couple times. He finally killed it by jumping into a pool with the 900 in his pocket(without the sim cover, but still water kills just about any gadget) Answers one of my questions about how durable that polycarbonate casing is. Anybody with a 900 find they get scratches in the plastic with just normal wear and tear, or can it manage to more or less live case free?

Jeff was pretty surprised at how tough the 900 was, but he Topolsky'ed it up at one point saying "too bad it's a Windows Phone". Nokia/Microsoft still have a long way to go to not be a joke to the Cannatas and Topolskys of the world. If we can just get there, where its just a viable alternative, and the name doesn't bring an instant sneer to those dudes, it'll mean we've finally beaten blackberry...

Is it just me or did Molly get plastic surgery?

Is Jeff on like every podcast or something?

Anyway, I have the 900 for about a month now and I use it naked as with all my phone. So far only scratches are on the camera chrome part which get scratch if you looks at it wrong anyway.
So I was at At&t store today and a young girl was interested in the Lumia phone but the manager told her oh, those run "Windows Phone" you want the One-X. *sigh* Now you see why Nokia had to make 920 Exclusive to at&t so they will get push again like the 900 (if only for a few months).

It's sad about the perception of Windows Phone, and probably the worst thing Microsoft did for the mobile OS.

venne

Is Jeff on like every podcast or something?

Anyway, I have the 900 for about a month now and I use it naked as with all my phone. So far only scratches are on the camera chrome part which get scratch if you looks at it wrong anyway.
So I was at At&t store today and a young girl was interested in the Lumia phone but the manager told her oh, those run "Windows Phone" you want the One-X. *sigh* Now you see why Nokia had to make 920 Exclusive to at&t so they will get push again like the 900 (if only for a few months).

It's sad about the perception of Windows Phone, and probably the worst thing Microsoft did for the mobile OS.

It's not a battle of ecosystems, it's a battle of fanboys and fangirls.

Microsoft should SPIF the hell out their devices this holiday if they want to make any headway.

Milchjon

It doesn't really scratch. I dropped mine pretty badly on one corner and it left a dent, and the matte finish seems to flake off in some places around the speaker and the SIM Cover (which really pisses me off). But in general, you can go without a case.

venne

What is SPIF?

Sales promotion incentive fund. Sometimes called SPIFF.

Basically a kickback for selling a product. Strange how sales people will change their approach when they can make an extra $10 to $25 by selling a certain product.

I think it is money better spent than TV adverts.

Milchjon

Zune Pass didn't come to Germany because of the GEMA license fees, iirc. Why would that change now?

First off, FUCK GEMA.

Apart from that: Competitors, mainly Spotify, brought their service over in the meantime, and it seems like MS will prioritize Xbox Music more than they did with Zune.

So yeah, I'm just holding on to irrational hope :-(

kazinova

Another day another total lack of any information from Microsoft about their product that has to launch in 30 days (or so)...

I want to buy a 920 and a Surface day one. Microsoft would be wise to at least let me know how much to hold aside from my paycheck for those expenses.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. #FirstWorldProblems

Milchjon

Another day another total lack of any information from Microsoft about their product that has to launch in 30 days (or so)...

I want to buy a 920 and a Surface day one. Microsoft would be wise to at least let me know how much to hold aside from my paycheck for those expenses.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. #FirstWorldProblems

Hey, they're just trying the Apple route of not announcing something right up until the can sell it ;-)

kazinova

Hey, they're just trying the Apple route of not announcing something right up until the can sell it ;-)

I honestly believe that Microsoft think they are doing precisely that. They don't realize how frustrated they are making the existing base of users with this poorly executed tactic.

It's sad to see that there is nothing left in WP8 we don't know about (based on the leaked SDK), not that learning about Kid's Corner in the final presser would have been all that exciting, but it's going to be better than the snooze fest we're going to get now that we know everything.

There should have been a final press event today for WP8 if they knew what they were doing/were actually on schedule with the WP8 RTM. Building off the 920/8X excitement and the disappointment of the Motorola and Apple offerings would have been some good press.

Arg. Hire me Microsoft! You need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom