• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTOOLL

another question...

I see a facebook notification on the "me" tile, but I cannot see the comment there, I have to click and the facebook page opens on IE9, not on the app. I thought I could see the comments from the me hub. Am I doing something wrong?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 900 torture test was pretty crazy. I have had my 900 since day 1. No flaking, no scratches (except the camera bit). I have yet to drop it however.

PG2G

I see a facebook notification on the "me" tile, but I cannot see the comment there, I have to click and the facebook page opens on IE9, not on the app. I thought I could see the comments from the me hub. Am I doing something wrong?

It should work, what kind of notification is it?

AnkitT

Is anyone else noticing the zoom disparity between the devices in these engadget comparisons? The non-920 phones look kinda zoomed in, but I realize that there could be another explanation for that. The OIS point stands regardless though, pretty boss!

Commodore

Really hope those rumors of cloud playlist synchronization on XBOX Music are true. Having access to all my playlists would save a ton of space.

TTOOLL

really strange, I can comment on my own post on Facebook through the Me hub, but I can't see other people's comments. And when I click it won't open the app, but the website instead....='(

Is anyone else noticing the zoom disparity between the devices in these engadget comparisons? The non-920 phones look kinda zoomed in, but I realize that there could be another explanation for that. The OIS point stands regardless though, pretty boss!

I noticed that too. I just assume that the 920 uses a wider-angle lens.

Yeah, I never understand this. When spotify came to Austria I always questioned that. Is that a cost thing?

Yes, it's a cost thing. Back then, Microsoft wanted to pay on a per-user basis, but it seems the GEMA (something like the RIAA in Germany) insisted on 10 cent per streamed song. It's not that surprising that Microsoft backed the fuck off. Basically the same reason YouTube is gimped in Germany. "GEMA sought to raise its fee charged to Youtube to 12 euro cents per streamed video". Not every label or provider wants to pay that ridiculous amount of money.

But there's hope. Last year, GEMA introduced a new and more transparent pricing model for music streaming services and few months later, Spotify and Nokia Mix Radio were available.

maeh2k

:-o
I have to say that the iPhone camera holds up nice tough if you ignore the colors.

I suspect the automatic mode plays a considerable role in these results. If the One X and the S3 were set to night mode, they might work better.

Otherwise I don't know why the iPhone with its f2.4 camera would do so much better than the One X at f2.0.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Engadget is kicking ass with their 920 coverage.

And the Lumia 920 is performing beyond all my wildest expectations. The night time city shots are simply remarkable. A generational leap over every other smartphone.

Can you imagine if that camera was on the iPhone? We'd have 15 threads on GAF already.

frontieruk

And the Lumia 920 is performing beyond all my wildest expectations. The night time city shots are simply remarkable. A generational leap over every other smartphone.

Can you imagine if that camera was on the iPhone? We'd have 15 threads on GAF already.

But you get a better quality of poster in here... Even the trolls bring some class to the proceedings.

Which reminds me... Who bagsied the wp8 OT?

To be fair, we had a thread about the camera and Nokia ruined it.

derFeef

Have any of you Android jumpers tried Google Now? Are we missing out on something there if we get WP8 in a major way?

A colleague has it, it tells him that he is going to drive home in X hours.
Fantastic! :)

From what I understand it's pretty smart, but it's one of those things that makes me scratch my head for what I should need this and if maybe Google knows too much of me.

kazinova

Have any of you Android jumpers tried Google Now? Are we missing out on something there if we get WP8 in a major way?

I have Google Now on my Nexus 7 but since i'm not very tapped into the Google ecosytem it doesn't really do anything for me other than tell me the weather. If you load all your calendar stuff into it I'm sure it becomes cooler, but not for me.

It's probably best on a phone, or a tablet you take with you places (like a Note). It's definitely no good for tablets that sit your nightstand or coffee table.

maeh2k

I don't think there's a large benefit to Now. The big difference is that Google Now learns all that stuff about you automatically. Looking at the functionality I've seen there isn't necessarily a real difference to WP provided the right apps are available.

For the commute Nokia has its My Commute app that basically does what google now does and displays comparable information on the live tile.
For flights Microsoft once demonstrated an app for some airline where you could also pin flights to the start screen and it would show similar information to Google Now.
Same for things like weather and sports scores.
If there are apps for those specific needs they would probably also have more to offer than a Google Now card.

Of course the app selection on Windows Phone is not that extensive and the available maps may not all make the best use of the live tiles.

derFeef

I think I'm going back to my semi-broken Optimus 7 for a while. Just to see how it is, after 3 months of Android.

drCgL.gif

?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Android 4.1 is not that bad. It's smooth, fluid, got apps and some parts of it look pretty good (like Google Now, which I never use) and I'll miss the Dolphin browser UI and probably some other stuff I can't remember right now.

But yeah, I want a 920.

Milchjon

Yes, it's a cost thing. Back then, Microsoft wanted to pay on a per-user basis, but it seems the GEMA (something like the RIAA in Germany) insisted on 10 cent per streamed song. It's not that surprising that Microsoft backed the fuck off. Basically the same reason YouTube is gimped in Germany. "GEMA sought to raise its fee charged to Youtube to 12 euro cents per streamed video". Not every label or provider wants to pay that ridiculous amount of money.

But there's hope. Last year, GEMA introduced a new and more transparent pricing model for music streaming services and few months later, Spotify and Nokia Mix Radio were available.

If you don't mind me asking, where are from? I always assumed America, but your intimate knowledge of GEMA and your user name make me wonder.

Magni

If you don't mind me asking, where are from? I always assumed America, but your intimate knowledge of GEMA and your user name make me wonder.

Brotkasten means "bread box" in German and was a nickname for a Commodore 64 in Germany apparently. But then again I'm sure over 95% of the posters here with Japanese screen names aren't Japanese.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nokia Lumia 920, 820 get official European prices, launching in November

Well, duh

The optical nous of the Lumia 920 won't just be visiting Australia soon. Nokia has revealed that its Windows Phone 8 flagship will arrive in Europe priced at 649 euros ($836), while the Lumia 820 will arrive several hundred euros cheaper at 499 euros ($643). Both will arrive in Italy and Germany some time in November, although the company weren't pointing to any specific launch date just yet.

Nokia Italy pegs the Lumia 920 and 820 for mid-November availability, reveals pricing
Nokia Italy has finally solved via a press release the biggest mystery around the Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 - their pricing. Asked about the availability of both handsets, it issued a worded corporate statement, but also pegged the price of the Lumia 920 at EUR 599 (~$772) at launch, and the Lumia 820 for EUR 499 (~$643).

maeh2k

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/27/3416432/nokia-lumia-920-820-pricing-pre-order-russia

Updated for Germany and Italy.

Disappointing. Those prices are higher than I would have liked. Ideally the 920 should be 550 Euros to compete with the GS3, but I can understand why it costs more.
Really disappointed with the Lumia 820. With WVGA and 8GB memory, I would have expected less than 500 Euros, maybe 400 Euros. At 500 it competes directly with the One X and the GS3.

My mother's contract will be renewed in november and I was hoping for an affordable, subsidized Lumia 820.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The German phone is a bit higher than I expected, but €599 sounds about right to me. I wasn't expecting any cheaper.

How much were HTC's phones again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom