• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

That's actually really nice looking, and with that incomparable matte feel of my wife's 900, I think that'll be my choice if AT&T offers it.

edit: any chance Nokia uses a more scratch-resistant metal cover on the camera?

Am I seeing it wrong or is there a slight indentation to the camera lense paneling so that it looks like when you lay the phone down it won't touch?

kazinova

Hacked the "7.8" custom rom onto my v1.3 Samsung Focus. No problems so far, I'll know more tomorrow. Nokia apps are nice!

Nice to have this as a fun new toy to tide me over until I get the 920 (grey for me, red for the lady) in about one month?

Troll

Banned
Hacked the "7.8" custom rom onto my v1.3 Samsung Focus. No problems so far, I'll know more tomorrow. Nokia apps are nice!

Nice to have this as a fun new toy to tide me over until I get the 920 (grey for me, red for the lady) in about one month?

How long did it take for you to hack it? Can you link me to a tutorial pls... I really want 7.8 on my phone.

maeh2k

Any Germans here who can tell how reliable Vodafone or the other carrier is? I want the Lumia 920 but Telekom will only csrry the lumia 820...

From what I've read vodafone is supposedly pretty much on par with t-mobile. Don't know if there are any big regional differences or anything.

Amazon.co.uk has the HTC 8X up for preorder at £399, confirming a price shown on a Sim free phone website.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009E3RSRM/

It's a bit of a bargain compared to the competition, wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper than the 820

The Lumias would be a lot more compelling at a lower price. With the 8X at around 500 Euros and the Ativ S at around 550 Euros, it seems like the 820 which also comes in at around 500 Euros should be priced somewhat lower. I really like the shells and Nokia's exclusive apps, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
What current color scheme (background + accent colors) do you use on WP7.5? How often do you switch up?

Q: Since the Lumia 820 uses an Amoled screen will we see a comeback of the standby clock/ sleeping screen present in the N9 and Symbian devices?
A: For the standby clock and sleeping screen, we are definitely looking at the possibilities in that area
Do it!

Tomcat

What current color scheme (background + accent colors) do you use on WP7.5? How often do you switch up?

Do it!
yeah by using an 808 one of the stuff I like is that i can see the time and date without touching the power button. Notifications are a plus too.

TTOOLL

I had an Android phone. It was ok with ICS, but it wasn't a new device. Android for was like, in the first few months I used 4 or 5 homescreens (OMG WIDGTES!!11) and as time passed by the number started to decrease. I ended up using only one and I was bored. The apps were really ugly too...

I had an Android phone. It was ok with ICS, but it wasn't a new device. Android for was like, in the first few months I used 4 or 5 homescreens (OMG WIDGTES!!11) and as time passed by the number started to decrease. I ended up using only one and I was bored. The apps were really ugly too...

As for me, I switched to WP as soon as I encountered frequent freezing with my Galaxy S, which is EOL. It'll never get ICS.

TTOOLL

btw, the only negative point so far is the WIFI thing...Is there any chance they will change it in 7.8?

It's obvious that keeping 3g on as well as turning the damn wifi on/off every time it goes to sleep destroys the battery. Why do I need 3g when I have wifi?

kazinova

btw, the only negative point so far is the WIFI thing...Is there any chance they will change it in 7.8?

It's obvious that keeping 3g on as well as turning the damn wifi on/off every time it goes to sleep destroys the battery. Why do I need 3g when I have wifi?

Keep Alive

kazinova

Once MAGDLR is on your device you just need to connect it in DLR mode. Then run the ROM that is linked on the XDA thread that WPCentral had.

Edit: The only thing that sucks about the ROM is that it replaced the IE search behavior from loading Bing to a google.com.vn search. Not sure what language it is but it's irritating. Also, the spell correct is off by default you have to activate it.

Also, I can't figure out how to activate the turn to silence feature they say is included.

Works well otherwise.

Troll

Banned
Once MAGDLR is on your device you just need to connect it in DLR mode. Then run the ROM that is linked on the XDA thread that WPCentral had.

Edit: The only thing that sucks about the ROM is that it replaced the IE search behavior from loading Bing to a google.com.vn search. Not sure what language it is but it's irritating. Also, the spell correct is off by default you have to activate it.

Also, I can't figure out how to activate the turn to silence feature they say is included.

Works well otherwise.

My phone has been stuck at the Samsung logo for a bit, it freaked me out for a second until the dude in the video said that it's normal. So, hopefully when the phone is done I can start using it. Thanks for the help.

e: Did you disconnect your phone from the PC when it was stuck on the Samsung logo?

e2: Lol, looks like i'm getting 4g on my focus. smh.

kazinova

My phone has been stuck at the Samsung logo for a bit, it freaked me out for a second until the dude in the video said that it's normal. So, hopefully when the phone is done I can start using it. Thanks for the help.

e: Did you disconnect your phone from the PC when it was stuck on the Samsung logo?

e2: Lol, looks like i'm getting 4g on my focus. smh.

Sorry, I should have mentioned how long the initial boot takes. Also that this all wipes info off the device.

The boot seems to take longer but the ATT logo is gone so yay no blinding orange light if the phone restarts in the night.

The battery percentage on the drop down is nice even if it only goes in 5% chunks.

Troll

Banned
Yeah, really liking it so far. The Nokia apps are nice, big upgrade over the Samsung App Zone.

e:How do I get rid of these crummy emoticons?

Troll

Banned
920 full res daylight pic. Big version.

8027720762_b964826ef1_o1.jpg

Talon

Windu and co., convince me to get a HTC 8X/Lumia 920 over the next Nexus for my workphone.

I'll give you a freebie: Exchange support is necessary.

Are you going to pick up the 920 or the 8x?

not sure. I'm heavily debating between the two. The weight of the 920 is not an issue to me, but I like the look of the 8x more + I've been infatuated with HTC since their early WinMobile devices + I like their 8x design just a wee bit more than the lumia.

Nokia exclusive apps + camera tech + wireless charging + everything else they are doing is mighty impressive.

I'm literally at a crossroads deciding between the two. It's weird and relieving that a choice can paralyze me like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom