• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

I fear the Nokia 920 will be too heavy/bulky for me.

I might go for the HTC 8X especially now that Nokia Drive is integrated in all WP8 handsets.

derFeef

Family shot.

LIdZZ.jpg

8S is oddly small when sideways.

e: BEATEN?!

poor 820...

prototypes of both, but the final hardware could have changed completely (and parts of them I'm sure did).

EDIT: Other than saying they both felt and looked really nice (in different ways), I probably shouldn't say anymore.
As long as you don't give them a score, like Joe Marini did last year, you should be fine.

Joe gave the Lumia 800 a 8/10 and prefered the Focus S over the Lumia. Joe works at Google now. Don't be like Joe.

I fear the Nokia 920 will be too heavy/bulky for me.

I might go for the HTC 8X especially now that Nokia Drive is integrated in all WP8 handsets.
Yeah, but Nokia got Nokia Drive+ now. You can't beat that.
poor 820...
It's funny how you're the first to notice.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I can't believe how utterly boring and souless the Ativ S looks. Samsung better include some badass apps, because otherwise is NOT CUTTING IT.

maeh2k

I can't believe how utterly boring and souless the Ativ S looks. Samsung better include some badass apps, because otherwise is NOT CUTTING IT.

Still looks better than the GS3 and people who want a bigger screen or 32 GB + SD card it provides that option. 550 Euros like the 8X and close to the 500 Euros of the NL820. Seems like a good price for a good product.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Still looks better than the GS3 and people who want a bigger screen or 32 GB + SD card it provides that option. 550 Euros like the 8X and close to the 500 Euros of the NL820. Seems like a good price for a good product.

I hear you, but it looks like a small niche for an already niche OS.

It probably is there for the spec sheets alone. It's like what happens when you try to cram everything into a Windows Phone. Something had to go, and it's the design - which is a small thing to lose.

In other news, I bought a feature phone to replace my Galaxy S. So long, Android.

venne

I bet it would look fine with gray tiles. The pop of color looks out of place on such a staid device.

Very corporate.

TTOOLL

To the people considering buying the HTC phone:

It might look great, but you're still buying an HTC phone.

;)

Well, HTC has closed their office in Brazil. So there is no chance I will ever buy an HTC phone. Nokia, on the other hand, has a great support here. Nokia is huge in Brasil compared to other cellphone companies. 920 is the only way to go. Heck, I will buy it even if I have other options.

thirty

Banned
HTC has made amazing strides hardware side. with software, they got left behind with Sense, a non issue with windows phone. their SLCD2 screens are now better than samsung's samoled HD screens and their unibody design in the One series and now 8X are highly praised.

I'm on my launch HD7 still and it has held up incredibly well.

HTC has made amazing strides hardware side. with software, they got left behind with Sense, a non issue with windows phone. their SLCD2 screens are now better than samsung's samoled HD screens and their unibody design in the One series and now 8X are highly praised.

I'm on my launch HD7 still and it has held up incredibly well.

I adore my trophy as well. Though, I must admit, I lusted over HTC when they released the touch and touch diamond.

will never buy another HTC again.
the lumia 920 looks awesome though. cant wait until its released in Canada. anyone know which provider and when it will be released? im assuming telus

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
will never buy another HTC again.
the lumia 920 looks awesome though. cant wait until its released in Canada. anyone know which provider and when it will be released? im assuming telus

99% sure it will be coming to Rogers since they got the 900. I would like it to come to Telus because I wouldn't mind switching carriers.

Get a ZTE PoorPeople off eBay and use that. Heck, the Focus Flash is less than a hondo on eBay and its a very good phone.

He's on Sprint and has been waiting for years now. I still remember his "I'll switch when Sprint gets a good Windows Phone" posts, before WP7 was released. Now that they bet the company on the iPhone, it's never going to happen.

Long live CDMA.

kazinova

I just tested out Nokia Drive using my 7.8 ROM.

Oh.

Man.

Game changer. That is one slick gps solution, I love that it beeps when you hit 5mph over the speed limit, or it beeps again if the speed limit drops. So nice. Especially since I really can't get a ticket or my insurance gets too expensive.

A really nice experience, and if the 920 has the premier version of Nokia Drive then I'm beyond sold. I won't even consider the 8X based on Drive and the camera.

Done

and

done.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was using a geocache app this afternoon, and it used Bing maps. I ended up lost in someone's yard. I had to use my wife's lumia to find my way out. When I finally found the spot, bing had taken me in the worst possible route and it has a bunch of closed roads still showing up. iPhone 5 owners, I know your feel bros.

clav

He's on Sprint and has been waiting for years now. I still remember his "I'll switch when Sprint gets a good Windows Phone" posts, before WP7 was released. Now that they bet the company on the iPhone, it's never going to happen.

Long live CDMA.

I've been thinking of switching back to T-Mobile since they introduced the $30/month 100 Minutes + unlimited text/data (5GB) plan, but I'll need more than 100 minutes for job interviews and waiting in customer service lines. Plus I doubt using voip for job interviews to call back would be suitable or be considered professional.

However, GSM service is really terrible here, so why bother getting a smartphone if the service, especially mobile data, doesn't work?

At least 1X data works for both Sprint and Verizon.

thirty

Banned

Oh.

Man.

Game changer. That is one slick gps solution, I love that it beeps when you hit 5mph over the speed limit, or it beeps again if the speed limit drops. So nice. Especially since I really can't get a ticket or my insurance gets too expensive.

A really nice experience, and if the 920 has the premier version of Nokia Drive then I'm beyond sold. I won't even consider the 8X based on Drive and the camera.

Done

and

done.
good to hear. having a nokia phone with a car stand/wireless charging will make the experience all the better.

kazinova

good to hear. having a nokia phone with a car stand/wireless charging will make the experience all the better.

A wireless charging car mount would be worth $40+ to me, especially the "not-having-to-plug-it-in-portion", nice not to fiddle with crap in the car.

Mmmm, wireless mount, gps and bluetooth audio/calls. One month can't pass by fast enough!

maeh2k

Oh.

Man.

Done

and

done.

The + of Nokia Drive+ doesn't necessarily mean that they improved the Drive app specifically. Maybe they just integrated their other location apps such as city lense, which don't come to all WP8 devices.
I don't think Drive on an HTC will be significantly worse than Drive on a Lumia.

kazinova

The + of Nokia Drive+ doesn't necessarily mean that they improved the Drive app specifically. Maybe they just integrated their other location apps such as city lense, which don't come to all WP8 devices.
I don't think Drive on an HTC will be significantly worse than Drive on a Lumia.

Man, I'm trying to make a very difficult purchasing decision, without all of the facts, a month ahead of schedule. Quit harshing my buzz!

Jadedx

Banned
I've been thinking of switching back to T-Mobile since they introduced the $30/month 100 Minutes + unlimited text/data (5GB) plan, but I'll need more than 100 minutes for job interviews and waiting in customer service lines. Plus I doubt using voip for job interviews to call back would be suitable or be considered professional.

However, GSM service is really terrible here, so why bother getting a smartphone if the service, especially mobile data, doesn't work?

At least 1X data works for both Sprint and Verizon.

www.mysimplemobile.com

any t-mobile phone will work, 40 dollars for 3g, 50 for 4g.

Milchjon

I can only agree with the Nokia Drive love. I just came back from a 4 day trip around New England, and it worked flawlessly. Especially in the backwoods of Maine, where my friend and his Android had no reception, offline turn by turn was invaluable.

Saved me like 60 bucks on the car rental since navigation was extra.

thirty

Banned
www.mysimplemobile.com

any t-mobile phone will work, 40 dollars for 3g, 50 for 4g.
t-mobile $30 deal though gives you 5gb of 4G data while simple limits you to 2gb of 4G data. if you "abuse" simple's data policy then they can boot you.

personally, i am always in between 4-5gb of data use with t-mobile but i zune stream a lot of my music and don't use wifi at home cuz my phone has weak wifi in my bedroom. i could probably live with 2gb of data a month. i'll just download the map of california to my phone and use offline music a lot more.

t-mobile $30 deal though gives you 5gb of 4G data while simple limits you to 2gb of 4G data. if you "abuse" simple's data policy then they can boot you.

personally, i am always in between 4-5gb of data use with t-mobile but i zune stream a lot of my music and don't use wifi at home cuz my phone has weak wifi in my bedroom. i could probably live with 2gb of data a month. i'll just download the map of california to my phone and use offline music a lot more.

Carriers are truly amazing.

I didn't know that 4G data was different from 3G data.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife saw the new iPhone commercial with the panorama feature and said it would be cool if her phone had that. It does, she owns a Lumia.

Dat marketing!

Commodore

A wireless charging car mount would be worth $40+ to me, especially the "not-having-to-plug-it-in-portion", nice not to fiddle with crap in the car.

Mmmm, wireless mount, gps and bluetooth audio/calls. One month can't pass by fast enough!

Oooh, that sounds excellent.

DgzYo.gif

Milchjon

My wife saw the new iPhone commercial with the panorama feature and said it would be cool if her phone had that. It does, she owns a Lumia.

Dat marketing!

The panorama function of my 800 fucking sucks. I assume that's due to the missing gyroscope, though, so maybe the 900 works better.

Get a ZTE PoorPeople off eBay and use that. Heck, the Focus Flash is less than a hondo on eBay and its a very good phone.

Long live CDMA.

that phone doesn't require the $10 'Premium Data' addon that modern smartphones (except the Samsung Replenish 'green' Android phone) require on Sprint. that's $10 a month!!!

i still remember when i was on SERO and was thinking about how the move to SERO Premium would be $20 more a month, or a whopping 66% increase, and i thought about all the time, even though i knew i wanted to jump from WM6 to Android.

Carriers are truly amazing.

I didn't know that 4G data was different from 3G data.

according to AT&T, 4G data is different from 4G data...

you get throttled at 3GB on HSPA+ 4G

you get throttled at 5GB on 4G LTE

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/30/hwyc-lumia-900/

I love the predictable comments. "put android on it!" Smh

hey, if it ran Android, maybe it could get upgraded to the latest OS, even if it would take a bunch of nerds in a basement to do it and not the phone's manufacturer or OS licensor

it's a real shame that there aren't more "put WP8 on it" comments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom