• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Seriously can you guys lay off myriam. Yes we know you get confused, whatever, it doesn't matter.

Kinda embarrassed to realize the GAF is worse than reddit

Commodore

not sure. I'm heavily debating between the two. The weight of the 920 is not an issue to me, but I like the look of the 8x more + I've been infatuated with HTC since their early WinMobile devices + I like their 8x design just a wee bit more than the lumia.

Nokia exclusive apps + camera tech + wireless charging + everything else they are doing is mighty impressive.

I'm literally at a crossroads deciding between the two. It's weird and relieving that a choice can paralyze me like this.

And it bodes well that there's actually competition between two OEMs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seriously can you guys lay off myriam. Yes we know you get confused, whatever, it doesn't matter.

Kinda embarrassed to realize the GAF is worse than reddit

I don't care to make fun of her face or anything, she clearly is either doing hormone therapy or has adult acne, which tons of people suffer from. But I hate, hate, hate, the way she dresses for interviews and press conferences etc. It's just so bummy and unprofessional.

It also detracts from her actual work for a ton of people, unfortunately. Engadget has had to shut down comments because of complaints about the way she dresses for interviews. Which is unfortunate, because I thought she did a good job for the Elop interview pressing for some sort of upgrade path for Lumia 900 owners. The comparison videos and pics she did were also fantastic and the best demonstration of the Puerview tech in the 920.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't care to make fun of her face or anything, she clearly is either doing hormone therapy or has adult acne, which tons of people suffer from. But I hate, hate, hate, the way she dresses for interviews and press conferences etc. It's just so bummy and unprofessional.

It also detracts from her actual work for a ton of people, unfortunately. Engadget has had to shut down comments because of complaints about the way she dresses for interviews. Which is unfortunate, because I thought she did a good job for the Elop interview pressing for some sort of upgrade path for Lumia 900 owners. The comparison videos and pics she did were also fantastic and the best demonstration of the Puerview tech in the 920.

The complaints at engadget were more than that. But it's whatever, she's not going to wear a suitskirt and put up pink makeup for them—so what? She's not the first to dress casual to interviews. Those judgmental attitudes really have no place in a tech comment sections. The proper response is not to bemoan that Myriam won't conform but to tell those obnoxious commenters to shut the fuck up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
She's not the first to dress casual to interviews.

If that's what she was actually doing (dressing casually), I think I wouldn't have a problem with her. But whatever, like I said, she did a great job up at Nokia, and it was only mildly distracting for me to see her interviewing Elop with ripped up shorts and a tattered sweater.

hwalker84

Make sure you have LTE plan with visual voicemail, also you might need to call their support to have them reset the account. I have to get mine reset because it keep asking for password.
I definitely have a Visual Voicemail LTE plan unless my colleague changed our ATT plans and didn't tell me. We're the only two people who can do that.

Troll

Banned
If any of you OG Focus owners still haven't flashed the 7.8 ROM yet, do it. There are obvious risks involved, but everything considered I am enjoying my "Lumia 800".

thirty

Banned
If that's what she was actually doing (dressing casually), I think I wouldn't have a problem with her. But whatever, like I said, she did a great job up at Nokia, and it was only mildly distracting for me to see her interviewing Elop with ripped up shorts and a tattered sweater.
exactly, casual is khakis and a polo shirt not clothes a thrift store wouldn't even accept.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If any of you OG Focus owners still haven't flashed the 7.8 ROM yet, do it. There are obvious risks involved, but everything considered I am enjoying my "Lumia 800".

Doesn't it wipe everything on your phone? What stuff I can back up and restore afterwards? I'm still using my OG Focus as my only phone.

Troll

Banned
Doesn't it wipe everything on your phone? What stuff I can back up and restore afterwards? I'm still using my OG Focus as my only phone.

All of your pics can be backed up on SkyDrive, those were my biggest things. As far as paid apps go I'm not 100% sure but i think you can just re download them. Music will need to be synced on the PC, of course. What else are you worried about losing?

e: yeah purchased apps just nedd you to hit "buy" then you dl them for free.
none of my contacts are missing, I think that they are saved on the sim card.

maeh2k

Windu and co., convince me to get a HTC 8X/Lumia 920 over the next Nexus for my workphone.

I'll give you a freebie: Exchange support is necessary.

I'd take those two over a Nexus any time :)
Windows Phone 8 is supposedly pretty good for work environments with Exchange, Office, encryption, and it's manageable with Intune.

I think hardware-wise the two phones are really among the best at the moment. Especially the 920 is hard to beat if you value the camera and the screen (especially for outdoor readability).

I doubt the next Nexus is going to be all that exciting. Like a Galaxy Nexus with better specs. And specs are overrated.

If you can live with a somewhat smaller app selection and don't want to tinker with every aspect of the OS, Windows Phone 8 will be a great choice and you won't regret it.
Even if you are a bit conflicted and could go either way, I'd choose Windows Phone 8 just to experience a different OS (and support the underdog ^^).

All of your pics can be backed up on SkyDrive, those were my biggest things. As far as paid apps go I'm not 100% sure but i think you can just re download them. Music will need to be synced on the PC, of course. What else are you worried about losing?

You also lost all your save progress on your games along with any messages thread. I have reset my phone several times in the past and that is the most annoying thing. I don't know why at this point your game is not save to the cloud ... especially those of us with Gold Live account.

Blackhead

Redarse
I disagree. when you are given face time with CEO's of billion dollar corporations you've gotta look presentable.
Not true. Zuckerberg went to meet CEOs of large investment corporations in his pyjamas to use one famous example...

But Elop didn't stop the interview and Van already admitted that the job she did was great. So her appearance didn't detract from her job. Her appearance is detracting from your impression of her. It's like you go to an art gallery, see a great painting, look around for the artist and find s/he's dressed like Myraim chatting with other attendees and then claim that the artist's appearance detracts from the work. Your preconceived notions of what an interviewer should like isn't the determining factor when she's already proving that her looks don't stop her from doing a good job.

Firestorm

thats like a copycat of the android app. i am not impressed
i prefer the wp7 one. but i am not using it. i get all my fb info from people hub. for people that dont care about any advanced fb features people hub is more than enough
I'm confused as to how anyone can prefer the WP7 app but I guess the fact that you don't fucking use it but are making judgements on it anyway explains that. I need the app to do a lot of what I need Facebook for (events for example). It's a slow, sluggish, terrible piece of software. Microsoft does the app much like RIM does the BlackBerry one meaning we always seem to be behind the app on Android and iOS by Facebook. It's extremely frustrating.

I'm confused as to how anyone can prefer the WP7 app but I guess the fact that you don't fucking use it but are making judgements on it anyway explains that. I need the app to do a lot of what I need Facebook for (events for example). It's a slow, sluggish, terrible piece of software. Microsoft does the app much like RIM does the BlackBerry one meaning we always seem to be behind the app on Android and iOS by Facebook. It's extremely frustrating.

I totally agree with you here, even if I myself don't use Facebook app one of the biggest failing for Windows Phone right now is the lack of apps that people wants. i am Ok in this eco system because I am not a heavy app user but how are you going to convince someone to jump to Windows Phone if it lacks many of the apps that people find important.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS probably should have assigned more resources into the app, but I think they preferred to focus on the integration, and since FB didn't want to do a WP7 app, this is where we are. I'm hoping Zuck's recent statements about native code means that they will release a 1st party FB app and let MS use up all of its resources on integration.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

So I got the ROM installed. Really nice so far and I love having access to the Nokia software!

A couple of small issues. Some pinned tiles like people don't change to your accent colour until you restart the phone. The bigger issue is that while tile resizing works, and I really like the small tiles, you can't make a tile 2 spaces. My Pictures tile was 2 spaces but after changing it I can only make it medium single tile or small. That's annoying.

Accent colour choices are great.

Firestorm

MS probably should have assigned more resources into the app, but I think they preferred to focus on the integration, and since FB didn't want to do a WP7 app, this is where we are. I'm hoping Zuck's recent statements about native code means that they will release a 1st party FB app and let MS use up all of its resources on integration.
Wait, Facebook didn't want to make an app? I assumed it was Microsoft insisting on doing its own thing to take advantage of internal APIs or something...

Troll

Banned
So I got the ROM installed. Really nice so far and I love having access to the Nokia software!

A couple of small issues. Some pinned tiles like people don't change to your accent colour until you restart the phone. The bigger issue is that while tile resizing works, and I really like the small tiles, you can't make a tile 2 spaces. My Pictures tile was 2 spaces but after changing it I can only make it medium single tile or small. That's annoying.

Accent colour choices are great.

Instead of restarting your phone to change the accent color of the stuck tiles, you can just resize them. Once it changes size it goes to the right color.

The only "big" tile I am using right now is the people hub. It looks cool shifting pictures on a double tile size.

Oh, I do have the Messaging tile as the big size, I really how it displays the message on it. :p

Wait, Facebook didn't want to make an app? I assumed it was Microsoft insisting on doing its own thing to take advantage of internal APIs or something...

Why would Facebook spend resources on a platform without any market share? They don't even want to do a Windows 8 app.

Tomcat

if i am not mistaken the fb app hasnt been created by ms. they outsourced it to an external developer. i think its the same that made the twitter/imdb apps

Commodore

Family shot.

LIdZZ.jpg

8S is oddly small when sideways.

e: BEATEN?!

Milchjon

Family shot.

LIdZZ.jpg

Haha, I couldn't figure out how to post it directly on my phone ;-)

But it looks like the 920 isn't actually that much thicker than the 8X at its thickest point? Does anyone have the exact thickness of both?

Family shot.

LIdZZ.jpg

You did better, because you didn't just link to WMPU and posted the interesting part.

I got used to the size of the Galaxy Nexus, but after playing with my old LG (it's about the size of the 800), I wouldn't mind having a smaller phone again. Too bad it's not an option.

thirty

Banned
Haha, I couldn't figure out how to post it directly on my phone ;-)

But it looks like the 920 isn't actually that much thicker than the 8X at its thickest point? Does anyone have the exact thickness of both?
8X is 10.12mm while the 920 is 10.7mm. not much difference at all, but damn, HTC did such a great job at the tapered edges that it's gonna give their phones a great slim sexy illusion that they're much thinner.

Interesting. Didn't know they were that close.

Have you held both already?

prototypes of both, but the final hardware could have changed completely (and parts of them I'm sure did).

EDIT: Other than saying they both felt and looked really nice (in different ways), I probably shouldn't say anymore.

I doubt there will be any upgrade plans for us early adopters so I guess I'll have to make do with my current 900.

I've noticed that Sports scene mode work well in combating the shakiness of the public transport systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom