• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using a geocache app this afternoon, and it used Bing maps. I ended up lost in someone's yard. I had to use my wife's lumia to find my way out. When I finally found the spot, bing had taken me in the worst possible route and it has a bunch of closed roads still showing up. iPhone 5 owners, I know your feel bros.

Speaking of that, is there a way that you when you click direction on Bing search to have it open in Nokia Drive instead? Did I miss it or is it one of those yet to be integrate feature?

It's super annoying to look up something on Bing then have to type the address into Nokia Drive app.

all%20scaled.jpg

the more i see it, the more i'm a-okay with wp 8's home screen.

hwalker84

Speaking of that, is there a way that you when you click direction on Bing search to have it open in Nokia Drive instead? Did I miss it or is it one of those yet to be integrate feature?

It's super annoying to look up something on Bing then have to type the address into Nokia Drive app.

Not that I'm aware of.

maeh2k

Why does it seem like the Nokia screens have no Toast (signal-bar, time, notification, etc...) area?

Because it makes for a better picture. They will have the same free space above the tiles. Note, however, that that free space isn't fixed on top of the screen. If you scroll down the tiles, it will look like the Lumia images for all Windows Phones. Notifications will appear on top of the content in that area and when you touch that area it will show signal bars, time, ...

Milchjon

One thing that really sucks about IE on WP is the inability to handle gifs. If it wasn't for mobile GAF's option to turn off gifs, I probably couldn't read half of the threads. 2-3 gifs on a page are enough to bring it to its knees.

hwalker84

One thing that really sucks about IE on WP is the inability to handle gifs. If it wasn't for mobile GAF's option to turn off gifs, I probably couldn't read half of the threads. 2-3 gifs on a page are enough to bring it to its knees.
I haven't had many issues with my 900. IE does need work though.

Inability to handle GIFs? Funny thing, I couldn't say the same for me. Now I wonder what kind of page with too many GIFs could bring it down.

PG2G

It starts to perform like total crap on pages with lots of gifs. I've seen this on a Samsung Focus and a Focus Flash. Hell, sometimes mine will even crash

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Looking at a pic on wpcentral, yellow 8x looks way better than yellow Lumia. And it'll feel better in hand because of the matte finish rather than gloss.

Too bad about 16gb of storage though. And of course, dat pureview, I just can't pass that up.

toff74

Happens all the time with my 800.

IE9 mobile is so shitty.

I disagree.. for about 95% of the sites i visit IE9 is more than ample. For the other 5%, yeah its slow, but then i'll use my PC. We are talking about a mobile browser here.

Milchjon

Looking at a pic on wpcentral, yellow 8x looks way better than yellow Lumia. And it'll feel better in hand because of the matte finish rather than gloss.

Too bad about 16gb of storage though. And of course, dat pureview, I just can't pass that up.

The Lumia is still fucking beautiful. And while the colors of the 8X look great and the phone itself seems like a nice package, something about the design feels inconsequential. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it somehow lacks character.

Unrelated, but the Verge is speculating about a last second big reveal by MS. They also remind us about how differently MS handles the WP8 reveal compared to Win8 both on the consumer and the developer side.

Really makes you wonder wtf MS is thinking.

Commodore

Yeah what's tips it over the edge for me is PureView + 32 GB + Nokia exclusive apps. I agree the colors are better with HTCs offerings, but they can't beat those things for me.

Commodore

The Lumia is still fucking beautiful. And while the colors of the 8X look great and the phone itself seems like a nice package, something about the design feels inconsequential. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it somehow lacks character.

Unrelated, but the Verge is speculating about a last second big reveal by MS. They also remind us about how differently MS handles the WP8 reveal compared to Win8 both on the consumer and the developer side.

Really makes you wonder wtf MS is thinking.

Yeah that question Tom Warren poses at the end of the article about if they don't really any big reveal, why the secrecy? I'm starting to think we won't really see much of anything new this month before launch except for launch details and a few new UI tweaks.

Milchjon

Yeah that question Tom Warren poses at the end of the article about if they don't really any big reveal, why the secrecy? I'm starting to think we won't really see much of anything new this month before launch except for launch details and a few new UI tweaks.

Only possible explanations IMO are being way behind the schedule, trying to ape Apple's reveal strategy, or a bad mix of both.

Commodore

beats amplifier and skinny illusion are nice pluses for the 8X

Forgot mono rich recording. Another big deal to me on the Nokia side. I honestly was really surprised to find HTC bringing competitive devices. That skinny illusion, they way they've built the phone middle heavy has to be a great engineering feat. Isn't the beats audio half speaker half EQ setting. Not really knowledgeable about what it brings to the table.

thirty

Banned
yeah beats is mostly EQ stuff, but they say they added 2 amplifiers in the 8X which is suppose to boost and improve music through speaker and headphones.

i actually bought an external mini amp for this purpose because i wanted my music louder from my phone.
Fiio_E6_5-300x260.jpg

Commodore

Only possible explanations IMO are being way behind the schedule, trying to ape Apple's reveal strategy, or a bad mix of both.

I think its definitely a marketing move. They'll get to make a huge swing with everything they're announcing, Windows 8, Surface, and Windows Pnone 8 and get to say, available next week. Controlling the message, being aggressively secretive, is the only way they can pull an Apple. Now is it worth it to screw over devs? Maybe. Marketing something right can be powerful.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think its definitely a marketing move. They'll get to make a huge swing with everything they're announcing, Windows 8, Surface, and Windows Pnone 8 and get to say, available next week. Controlling the message, being aggressively secretive, is the only way they can pull an Apple. Now is it worth it to screw over devs? Maybe. Marketing something right can be powerful.

Also Xbox Music and probably the new Xbox dashboard as well. This month is going to be crazy.

Milchjon

Well yeah, but then you'll have a big audience of people being disappointed if there's no big reveal left, people worrying about devs, and your usual MS haters, combined with risking WP8 being marginalized by Surface and Win8.

We'll see, but I'm not sure their strategy is all that well thought out.

PG2G

Well yeah, but then you'll have a big audience of people being disappointed if there's no big reveal left, people worrying about devs, and your usual MS haters, combined with risking WP8 being marginalized by Surface and Win8.

We'll see, but I'm not sure their strategy is all that well thought out.

I think the benefits of them making it to major news outlets will far outweigh the disappointment of a small minority of people that follow tech blogs and know everything that has been leaked. While we know a lot about WP8, the general public doesn't know a thing.

Klocker

yes. and I agree with this strategy... shows them integrating their vision in a complete way and will be more powerful.

there really is no reason MS and their future road map can not be as good as or compete with APPLE (beyond the intrinsic MS hate that some harbor). Their vision and engineering ability is some of the best in the world.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
A little change I would like is when you are scrolling say your facebook feed in the people hub is that you could tap the people title at the top to put you back and the start of the feed so you can switch to twitter.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Windows Phone 8: what's the big secret?

Microsoft's SDK no-show leaves developers frustrated

By Tom Warren on October 1, 2012 09:43 am

Even though Windows Phone 8 is lined up for a launch event at the end of this month, many members of Microsoft’s developer community still don't have access to vital tools needed to bring their apps up to speed with the latest features and capabilities. A Software Development Kit (SDK) for the new platform has been released to a limited number of developers under a non-disclosure agreement, but the software giant is taking a secretive approach to Windows Phone 8 in general. What's the big secret?

Basically an article by the Verge similar to the thoughts many of us had weeks ago when we were wondering why MS hasn't pushed ahead full force with the lead up to launch. Figured I'd post a link to the article since we were already talking about it. :p

PS: IE10 is the only major worry I have about the OS.

So the random reboot problem of 'my' Omnia 7 is starting to get pretty bad. I was just showing some features of the phone to my mom and it froze/ rebooted during:
- Whatsapp
- Browsing settings
- Pinning/ Moving tiles on homescreen

The weird thing is that all the freezes occured when WiFi was enabled. After the reboot, the WiFi connecting icon keeps indicating that it's connecting, while in the WiFi settings menu it shows that it's already connected.. weird...

I'm gonna flash the latest ROM on this thing and if that doesn't work, it goes in for repairs (still under warantee), which I'm really disappointed about because I thought I bought the perfect phone for my mom.

So the random reboot problem of 'my' Omnia 7 is starting to get pretty bad. I was just showing some features of the phone to my mom and it froze/ rebooted during:
- Whatsapp
- Browsing settings

The weird thing is that all the freezes occured when WiFi was enabled. After the reboot, the WiFi connecting icon keeps indicating that it's connecting, while in the WiFi settings menu it shows that it's already connected.. weird...

I'm gonna flash the latest ROM on this thing and if that doesn't work, it goes in for repairs (still under warantee), which I'm really disappointed about because I thought I bought the perfect phone for my mom.

I had the exact same problem with my Optimus 7, which is why I had to get a new phone.

Razdek

Banned

The thing is they're not Apple and even Apple can't keep secrets nowadays. I don't think all this secrecy is good to help build up momentum for the product and especially how this is affecting developers. Developers different options of platforms that they can choose and making some of them mad is not a good thing.

I had the exact same problem with my Optimus 7, which is why I had to get a new phone.

So you recon it's a hardware issue then? Then I won't bother updating it..

Edit: On the other hand, if your Optimus 7 had the same issue, wouldn't it be software related then? Cause they're different devices.

frontieruk

I'm thinking of going 8x and flipping it in the spring for the Nokia quad cores ..

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm thinking of going 8x and flipping it in the spring for the Nokia quad cores ..

That doesn't make sense unless the 8X is way cheaper. I was thinking of doing the same with the Ativ if it was super cheap off contract, but it'll probably be similar in price to the 920. The 920 will likely hold its value better too, so it would be a better flip.

dejay

Banned
- Whatsapp
- Browsing settings

Does it only do it with your router? I had an issue with my Transformer Android tablet - it would sometimes get into a reset loop and the only way I could fix it was to cycle my router on and off. An update seems to have fixed it, so perhaps try cycling your router and/or updating as you suggested.

toff74

Just fiddling with my HD7.. and after owning since launch i just discovered something new..

When you get the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen i usually press them and the menu pops up.. I just discovered that you can actually press on the menu and scroll up and down.

Not a big thing i know, but a pleasant surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom