• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it wrong that we need someone to leak information illegally to keep the faithful appeased? Shouldn't MS actively be doing this to keep me from retreating back to the iPhone?

My keyboard still runs away from me as I'm typing, CONSTANTLY. I'm sick of it.
Install the 8107 update?

frontieruk

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
http://www.wpcentral.com/force-updating-your-windows-phone-os-build-8107-tutorial

^ Users really shouldn't have to do this. Many actually won't do this not just because they don't know about it, but also because it's daunting and not completely safe.

I resisted doing that forced upgrade cause I figured it was daunting, but it turned out to be super simple. Of course, there are risks involved, but it was quick and now I dont have to put up with a disappearing keyboard. Just like kazinova, it was happening way too frequently, mostly when filling out forms on IE9 and sometimes when texting.

frontieruk

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 dropping in October. Pretty much a make or break month for Microsoft.

Here's to hopping someone will throw out a Buy a Windows 8 PC and get a Windows Phone 8 device for free deal :)

I'd imagine MS doing something like that state side (Europe is just a ginger foster child to MS) as they gave away 360's with Windows 7 for students correct?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When you get a new WP and you sync new pics taken from it, how does the numbering system work? Do I have to worry about it syncing over older pics?

Edit: nevermind, forgot that it stores the pics on the PC based on your phones name.

frontieruk

When you get a new WP and you sync new pics taken from it, how does the numbering system work? Do I have to worry about it syncing over older pics?

Edit: nevermind, forgot that it stores the pics on the PC based on your phones name.

was just looking at that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
was just looking at that.

Going to be leaving soon to hopefully get my 900. I wille be pissed if the burn-in goes away on my Focus after a factory reset (can't imagine that happening).

Really hope Apollo brings proper app backup. Going to be sad to lose some of my game saves, but I will get over it.

frontieruk

Going to be leaving soon to hopefully get my 900. I wille be pissed if the burn-in goes away on my Focus after a factory reset (can't imagine that happening).

Really hope Apollo brings proper app backup. Going to be sad to lose some of my game saves, but I will get over it.

fingers crossed, good luck.

It will.

hwalker84

Yeah the game save and Text messaging thing really bites. They really need the ability to transfer to a new phone. Hopefully Apollo fixes this oversight.

Here's a funny thing. A co-worker of mine has been saying he's interested in WP so I take my Titan and wipe it. Put his SIM in set it up for him and hand it off for him to play with. I was expecting him to use it for like a week or weekend. But he comes back in like 15 mins saying I'm done. For some reason he couldn't figure out how to get his gmail to work and said it didn't wow him. LOL I said you had the phone for like 5 minutes what did you expect?

hwalker84

To whom this may concern

RSA SecureID app is coming to Windows Phone soon

"I just checked our Roadmap document, and v.1.0 of Software token for Windows Mobile Phone 7.5 is due this quarter, Q2, 2012. That usually means the last day of the quarter, June 30. Unless the date slips.
Thanks,"

I received this in a email from a support engineer that i was working with a few months ago.

This and PNC are the last apps I'm truly missing.

NeOak

One thing that I'm wondering though, I remember there was talk about a Network Setup app in the marketplace from Nokia, but I'm not seeing it. Without it, I am unable to configure MMS settings, unfortunately. Not a HUGE deal, but still kinda frustrating nonetheless... Any news on that coming back?

Dial ##634#

Yeah the game save and Text messaging thing really bites. They really need the ability to transfer to a new phone. Hopefully Apollo fixes this oversight.

Here's a funny thing. A co-worker of mine has been saying he's interested in WP so I take my Titan and wipe it. Put his SIM in set it up for him and hand it off for him to play with. I was expecting him to use it for like a week or weekend. But he comes back in like 15 mins saying I'm done. For some reason he couldn't figure out how to get his gmail to work and said it didn't wow him. LOL I said you had the phone for like 5 minutes what did you expect?

Your friend is Josh?

Hmm...report of battery issue with 900 but it's probably link to the data connection. I am sure if the phone constantly searching for connectivity it will kill the battery.

On another note, saw Amazon has a cyan Lumia 800 bundle which strangely not available at Microsoft own stores. I am so tempted but for that price I might as well get the 900. Arghh..got to be strong and wait for Windows Phone 8!

hwalker84

Looks like the data on my Lumia went. AT&T re-registered the phone and Data is working again. Hopefully it continues until the fix comes Monday.

derFeef

The bug thing must be pretty public, colleagues jokingly (in a bad way) asked me if I have it too because I have a Windows Phone and that Nokia is going "out of business" because of that etc. etc.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my chevron unlocked phone is going to be relocked. I'm starring to really get anxious about the upgrade situation. I don't want to sit around and wait for the carrier to decide whether or not to give me an update or go through some tricky phone root process. That's why I moved away from Android. I've had no problems during the mango beta and more recently for the 8107 update.

I hope that continues because the best thing about this platform when it was first announced was MS' stated commitment to updates. The carriers are getting in the way, but as long as there is a simple workaround, I'll be alright.

So my chevron unlocked phone is going to be relocked. I'm starring to really get anxious about the upgrade situation. I don't want to sit around and wait for the carrier to decide whether or not to give me an update or go through some tricky phone root process. That's why I moved away from Android. I've had no problems during the mango beta and more recently for the 8107 update.

I hope that continues because the best thing about this platform when it was first announced was MS' stated commitment to updates. The carriers are getting in the way, but as long as there is a simple workaround, I'll be alright.

Yeah updating to 8107 was extremely simple and pretty much worry free.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

the nodo update was a mess, the mango update was smooth, the tango update was/is a mess..i'm sensing a trend here. It seems like the carriers don't want to spend the time and money (aka testing, which also makes no sense) on the smaller updates. The updates are cumulative so they would rather roll them out all at once with the major updates.

the nodo update was a mess, the mango update was smooth, the tango update was/is a mess..i'm sensing a trend here. It seems like the carriers don't want to spend the time and money (aka testing, which also makes no sense) on the smaller updates. The updates are cumulative so they would rather roll them out all at once with the major updates.

How's the Tango update a mess? It's not even released? And if you mean the 8107 update, AT&T is pretty much the only carrier who fucked that up.

dLMN8R

So does everyone with a Lumia 900 think it's worth a $300 upgrade from an original Focus?

I don't feel like renewing my contract. So I can get the Lumia 900 off-contract for $450. $100 rebate from Nokia. Sell my current Focus for around $100. Add $45 tax, it comes to around $300.

I've played around with the Lumia a bit and it's nice, but I assume I wouldn't really be able to tell without using it extensively - especially with Nokia Drive/Maps, etc.

frontieruk

So does everyone with a Lumia 900 think it's worth a $300 upgrade from an original Focus?

I don't feel like renewing my contract. So I can get the Lumia 900 off-contract for $450. $100 rebate from Nokia. Sell my current Focus for around $100. Add $45 tax, it comes to around $300.

I've played around with the Lumia a bit and it's nice, but I assume I wouldn't really be able to tell without using it extensively - especially with Nokia Drive/Maps, etc.

can't say between a focus/lumia switch but I wonder how I found my hd7 smooth after I got my titan, it's little things like loading speeds and responsiveness but overall it felt like a huge upgrade.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I like this, I wonder if its just to play around with or if he wants to use it for his main phone.
probably just to play around with. the os is too closed off for someone like him, think he uses a android phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Posted? Magenta Lumina 900:

GUvPL.jpg

Trying desperately to track down a cyan colored Nokia Lumia 900? Well, it’s obviously a tough catch to find right now, as most places selling the Windows Phone smartphone have been in short supply – meaning, you’ll more than likely need to fall back with the black one instead. From the looks of it, we might also be seeing a new color added to the selection in time for Mother’s Day.

Magenta colored Nokia Lumia 900 with AT&T's branding is spotted at a Microsoft store
Just like the Nokia Lumia 800 before it, we might also see a magenta cladded Nokia Lumia 900 – but this time, it’s looking to be a part of AT&T’s lineup. Currently, we know that the Lumia 900 sports the colors black, white, and cyan, but this new magenta one was spotted in a Microsoft Store. Specifically, one of the store’s demo screens was advertising the new device, but it’s somewhat difficult to say if it’s indeed a new color, or simply one skin tight case.

In any event, the handset would make a nice addition considering that Mother’s Day isn’t too far away from now. In fact, it falls on a Sunday, May 13th, which is also known to be a day when new AT&T devices are released. Obviously, the only thing left now is to hear about is an official confirmation if it pans out to be true. Considering the cyan has that cool neon glow, this magenta one would perfectly complement it as well.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mage...nding-is-spotted-at-a-Microsoft-store_id29103

JaggedSac

Sweet, my fiancee will be grabbing that thing. Purchased her a black one already but the AT&T guy said we could swap it with a restocking fee.

giga

wait, what?

http://www.chevronwp7.com/post/21027437967/the-chevronwp7-labs-experiment-comes-to-an-end

The goal of this experiment was two-fold: First, to determine if we could supercharge the Windows Phone beginner/hobbyist community by removing the initial cost barrier (i.e. App Hub membership.) And second, to convert potential developers into published developers.

While we kicked butt on the former, the latter didn’t work out so well. Our data indicates that most developers simply unlocked their devices for non-developmental reasons and never went all the way to publish an app in the marketplace. There was also some confusion about the actual purpose of the ChevronWP7 service – some folks thought we provided SIM-unlock capabilities, while others thought we were a hacker group providing full root access. On top of this, there were a larger than expected number of support emails.

As a result, both sides amicably agreed to discontinue the ChevronWP7 Labs experiment.

dLMN8R

Both Thurrott and Mary Jo have quite the inflated sense of self-importance. It's amusing how for months now they've continued on with their "we just don't know" sentiment over and over again, without ever once asking themselves "why does it matter if we know now"? I'm not sure why they think they need to know every single detail right this second, especially since it's obvious things are still changing quite a bit.

Furthermore, they could never comprehend what that massive Windows on ARM blog post did. Before that 8000 word blog post, they repeatedly asked "why don't they just tell us <x>?"

The blog post answered X * 100, and then raised a billion more questions.

Now, again, they're asking "Why don't they just tell us <y>??"

Do they seriously not understand yet how complex this all is? It's impossible to "just answer this one question" because by the inherent nature of the product, every answer will just lead to a billion more questions.

Every time they answer one question which leads to 100 more, it reduces peoples' confidence in Microsoft. Instead, it makes more sense to just wait until everything's ready, craft a cohesive story, and explain stuff at the right time.

the guy is also a melodramatic egotist. gets some good stories though.

I check his site weekly, at least, and he can have great info, but you're spot on. Even when he makes great points, he has unnecessary fanboyish digs:

The camera, which I’ll discuss in a future article in this series, is mounted in the middle, upper portion of the device’s back, and not up in a corner as with most other phones, including the iPhone 4S. I found this curious until I started actually using it. As it turns out, you’re far less likely to place a finger in front of the camera or flash with this positioning, and it kind of makes me wonder how it is that Apple other phone makers haven’t figured this out. Clearly, Nokia’s many years of phone design are paying off here as well. But if you’re interested in taking 100 photos this year that feature the blurry edge of your own finger, by all means, use the competition.

Because sooooooo many iPhone users complain about this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sweet, my fiancee will be grabbing that thing. Purchased her a black one already but the AT&T guy said we could swap it with a restocking fee.

Won't it be past the 30 day window at that point?

And brot, I dont think Sprint has delivered the 8107 update either. Not sure about mobile, but they probably haven't pushed it out either. lol US carriers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom