• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned

"Nokia Lumia 920 - Time to #switch" - yeah, not quite time :(

but not because of color, but because of the matte finish

I know there's been some preference shown for a matte finish amongst some people. Would a piece of 60 grit sandpaper and five to twenty minutes work solve the problem? I'm guessing the red may turn a bit pink but the yellow might be ok.

Milchjon

I think a Surface Phone that concentrates on being a light and slim iPhone competitor with a focus on entertainment ('Xbox Phone') would kinda make sense given the current device line up.

Even if worst comes to worst, Nokia will probably still live on as a feature phone maker. Their feature phones, well, print money. If I were to buy a cheap phone (as I actually did last Sunday to replace my Galaxy S for phone functions (it's now a 3G router)), I'd get something from Nokia rather than dabble with some unknown brands.

*runs the diagnostics app*

Hmm, I think someone updated it... I see "Nfc" in it, and sure enough, "NFC not supported".

strata8

Omnia 7 micro-USB port = shit. What a stupid design decision to have the port recessed into the device. The cables don't even slot in properly.

Firestorm

Even if worst comes to worst, Nokia will probably still live on as a feature phone maker. Their feature phones, well, print money. If I were to buy a cheap phone (as I actually did last Sunday to replace my Galaxy S for phone functions (it's now a 3G router)), I'd get something from Nokia rather than dabble with some unknown brands.

*runs the diagnostics app*

Hmm, I think someone updated it... I see "Nfc" in it, and sure enough, "NFC not supported".
Nope. This is the entire reason Nokia, and now RIM, are facing problems. The world is going smartphone. First Nokia's userbase was shrinking due to the onset of cheap BlackBerries (not the ones we get, but the low-cost ones for emerging markets) and then now RIM is seeing the same thing happen to them with the arrival of cheap as nails Android smartphones (by manufacturers in China who don't have close to the same overhead as products manufactured in Canada and Mexico).

Nope. This is the entire reason Nokia, and now RIM, are facing problems. The world is going smartphone. First Nokia's userbase was shrinking due to the onset of cheap BlackBerries (not the ones we get, but the low-cost ones for emerging markets) and then now RIM is seeing the same thing happen to them with the arrival of cheap as nails Android smartphones (by manufacturers in China who don't have close to the same overhead as products manufactured in Canada and Mexico).

Think global. I'm thinking more of... emerging markets. I'd rather deal with something that I can rely on.

Smartphone plans can be expensive. Some people just want devices that do what they need to do most: calls and text. I've already seen some people that use smartphones for nothing much but calls, text, and anything not involving a data connection to the Internet. These phones tend to be on voice-only plans. Keep in mind that I'm not in the US or Europe, so what you see might be different. I do see a lot of smartphones around here, but these tend to be younger ones. Back in my place, my old home, there's a good mix of smartphones and feature phones.

Also, just because someone owns a smartphone doesn't mean that they're on a contract. Some people buy their devices off-contract (which can be expensive if it's a high-end smartphone). I have had three smartphones under me (N70, N95, Wave) off contract - prepaid plans. Prepaid Internet data can get expensive in Malaysia (where I used to live before going for university).

The Lumia 900 is actually my first contract phone.

Whats wrong with the Lumia for "phone functions"?

Might want to reread the entire thing. I replaced my Samsung Galaxy S, not Nokia Lumia 900, with a 110 for the extra SIM cards lying around.

The Galaxy S was actually crashing or turning off all the time - too unreliable to be used actively. Even when it's working as a 3G router, I've noticed that it somehow shut off itself soon after I unplugged it for whatever reason. I had an unused SIM card, too, and carrying the extra, swapping it in and out... It's just bothersome. Not to mention the missed texts.

It's a long story.

I have three SIM cards.

One is in my Lumia 900 - it's my contract phone, and I'm enjoying 12 GB of mobile data, every month. (And I eat up data like there's no tomorrow, and I'm a bit glad that I'm actually grandfathering this plan - SingTel changed to 2 GB limits for any sign-ups after the end of June.)

Another is a Singaporean prepaid, and the third is a Malaysian prepaid. You see, I'm a student studying in Singapore, and any postpaid plans here won't allow me to dial abroad or roam due to regulations, hence the prepaid cards. The Malaysian prepaid acts as a safety net - it runs on a different telco and is roaming. It will also allow me to still call on the cheap while abroad.

Of course, these two SIM cards went into my 110. The Lumia indeed feels great while calling and texting, as well as anything Internet, but I can't make a call to my parents at home directly, and not at all when they're out of the home. At least they can call me, and it's great at my mum's side. Call quality was awesome.

Firestorm

Think global. I'm thinking more of... emerging markets. I'd rather deal with something that I can rely on.

Smartphone plans can be expensive. Some people just want devices that do what they need to do most: calls and text. I've already seen some people that use smartphones for nothing much but calls, text, and anything not involving a data connection to the Internet. These phones tend to be on voice-only plans. Keep in mind that I'm not in the US or Europe, so what you see might be different. I do see a lot of smartphones around here, but these tend to be younger ones. Back in my place, my old home, there's a good mix of smartphones and feature phones.

Also, just because someone owns a smartphone doesn't mean that they're on a contract. Some people buy their devices off-contract (which can be expensive if it's a high-end smartphone). I have had three smartphones under me (N70, N95, Wave) off contract - prepaid plans. Prepaid Internet data can get expensive in Malaysia (where I used to live before going for university).

The Lumia 900 is actually my first contract phone.
I'm talking about emerging markets as well. You used Malaysia as an example.

According to IDC's Asia/Pacific Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker issued on Thursday, smartphones's share of the market was forecast to exceed 50% by 2014.

IDC attributed the increase in smartphones due to the increasing popularity of Android handsets and decline in the prices of entry-level smartphones.
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=business&file=/2012/9/13/business/20120913154248

I'm talking about emerging markets as well. You used Malaysia as an example.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=business&file=/2012/9/13/business/20120913154248

I suppose so. Think one location doesn't make everything. I think I did mention that I'm seeing a good mix of them. When smartphone prices dwindle down, I think it'll be when they're taking over by a long shot.

I've always wondered how the experience of the average low-end Android handset is, though. If a Galaxy S feels choppy...

I suppose so. Think one location doesn't make everything. I think I did mention that I'm seeing a good mix of them. When smartphone prices dwindle down, I think it'll be when they're taking over by a long shot.

I've always wondered how the experience of the average low-end Android handset is, though. If a Galaxy S feels choppy...

I think the cheap Android phones all feel much worse. If I had to use a sub $100 phone, I'd much rather get an Asha series feature phone than a cheap Android smartphone. Or maybe even a basic non-feature phone with a battery that lasts for two weeks...

Might want to reread the entire thing. I replaced my Samsung Galaxy S, not Nokia Lumia 900, with a 110 for the extra SIM cards lying around.

The Galaxy S was actually crashing or turning off all the time - too unreliable to be used actively. Even when it's working as a 3G router, I've noticed that it somehow shut off itself soon after I unplugged it for whatever reason. I had an unused SIM card, too, and carrying the extra, swapping it in and out... It's just bothersome. Not to mention the missed texts.

It's a long story.

I have three SIM cards.

One is in my Lumia 900 - it's my contract phone, and I'm enjoying 12 GB of mobile data, every month. (And I eat up data like there's no tomorrow, and I'm a bit glad that I'm actually grandfathering this plan - SingTel changed to 2 GB limits for any sign-ups after the end of June.)

Another is a Singaporean prepaid, and the third is a Malaysian prepaid. You see, I'm a student studying in Singapore, and any postpaid plans here won't allow me to dial abroad or roam due to regulations, hence the prepaid cards. The Malaysian prepaid acts as a safety net - it runs on a different telco and is roaming. It will also allow me to still call on the cheap while abroad.

Of course, these two SIM cards went into my 110. The Lumia indeed feels great while calling and texting, as well as anything Internet, but I can't make a call to my parents at home directly, and not at all when they're out of the home. At least they can call me, and it's great at my mum's side. Call quality was awesome.

My brother live in Thailand, and he has to do something similar, he carried three different phones, an iPhones and two other phones one for when he went out of town because different area of the country get different coverage by different companies. He still carry around one of Nokia feature phone for business use since he doesn't want to get business call on his personal phone.

Hands-on with HTC 8X and WP8.

The highlights:

• Lock Screen Wallpaper auto-updater: Bing, Photo and now we see HTC will have their own Wallpaper service
• Download new keyboard languages – We broke that news a few days ago. Here you can see it in action, including Arabic keyboard support.
• HTC 8X camera in action with the zippy ImageChip
• Someone loaded our official WPCentral app on the device. Good taste.
• Maps – You can see the new Maps, which looks like the old one but now has a downloadable, offline option (you can also check for map updates for those offline caches)
• Family Room gets glossed over in the People Hub
• Office 13 – We finally get to see what the new Office Hub looks like. It’s basically much cleaner looking with less focus on Tiles

hwalker84

So, is anybody ready to off load their Lumia 800/900 yet? Lookin for a white one, just to see if WP is for me.

The day I get my 920 i'll sell my White 900 to you. If you're looking for something cheap to test the waters look on craigslist for a Samsung Focus.

MCD

Nokia Drive is my best buddy, my life saver and my waifu.

I really, really can't stress how much I love this app. I am someone who gets lost easily, it's pretty much a disease. But thanks to my trusty Lumia 800, I can go anywhere and everywhere.

Now if only the battery wasn't shit...

kazinova

WP central is saying November 4th for the 920, with pre orders starting the week before.

:'(

Nov 4th is going to be fine to spread my expenses for Microsoft shit across Oct and Nov. It allows me to spend up to 500 on a Surface RT instead of the 300 I have set aside.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So how hyped or not are you people for Xbox Music especially if we get a streaming service like Spotify? Would you stop using Spotify and just use Xbox Music instead? Do you current use a service like Rdio or Spotify? Does any of this even appeal to you?

Milchjon

a surface rt, nokia 920, and that jbl speaker/charger thing for a cool grand ($1000 usd). i'd probably do it.

thirty
DEFINITELY NOT
an Economics Major

:p

Looking at the lowest probable prices, I'd say:

Surface RT ~$300
Lumia 920 ~$600
JBL speakers ~$300

Apart from the Lumia's price, all those are pure guesswork, of course. But looking at some of JBL's docks, I don't see them go lower than $300 with that charging and landing lights and NFC and bluetooth tech that's not in their iPhone docks.

And IMO, you could easily end up paying around $1500 for that bundle.

Klocker

wp8%20screen%20size%20comparison2.jpeg

Also, pics and info on Nokia's music/equalizer app.

wow intersting that the only screen size advantage from Ativ over 920 is in height... the width is nearly the same... odd

that menas keyboard width will be almost identical which to me is most important in larger screen

So how hyped or not are you people for Xbox Music especially if we get a streaming service like Spotify? Would you stop using Spotify and just use Xbox Music instead? Do you current use a service like Rdio or Spotify? Does any of this even appeal to you?

As s Spotify user on Android and without an Xbox, nothing would change for me. If I had a Windows Phone, I'd probably switch back, because the Spotify app on Windows Phone is pretty bad.

kazinova

My outlook on expenses isn't as grim with my pending upgrade from AT&T:

Lumia 920 ~$200
Surface RT $200-$600
Wireless Charge Pad ~$50
Car Mount Solution $50-$100 (I'd like a wireless charge cradle for the car if they make one)

Min: $500 Max: $950

So much crap to get...YAY!!!

Milchjon

Nokia launches Nokia Xpress to beta.

Save more. Get the most out of your data plan by harnessing the Nokia Xpress internet platform behind the app. It automatically compresses data by up to 85% so you use less of your data plan and save battery charge, all while rapidly getting to the sites you care about. Nokia Xpress for Lumia offers several tools for controlling your data usage and ultimately saving more money, including:

■Data Usage Monitoring - Data usage and savings are reported as a live tile on the start page and via a detailed dashboard in the app, giving you a quick view of your data usage and savings.
■Saved Pages – store any web page locally to view later from the “Saved Pages” screen or pinned to the start screen, even with no cellular data connection. Useful in situations like checking in with your mobile boarding pass at the airport when there’s no coverage, or preparing your reading list for the train ride home.
■Save to SkyDrive - love that new video? Save it to SkyDrive with just a click without having to use any of your precious data plan. The video will be waiting for you on SkyDrive where you can download it later when you’re on Wi-Fi, at your PC or on a preferred data connection. Share it easily with your friends. (MP4, PDF and other file types are supported)

Discover more. Use the convenient Nokia Xpress for Lumia start screen as a jumping off point to the latest that the web has to offer. Convenient, time-saving features enable you to rapidly retrieve your favorite content and quickly share with your social network, including:

■Magazine - Nokia’s unique Magazine feature automatically asks you if you want to add sites with feeds to your collection as you visit them. It then presents the feeds to you in an appealing, easy-to-use magazine layout. Turn the pages with a swipe to quickly and easily read what most interests you.
■QuickLinks – automatically adds tiles for your frequently visited sites on the QuickLinks screen and orders them based on frequency of visit. This effortless way to organize frequent destinations means you’re only a click away from the content that you care about most.

Do more. Nokia Xpress for Lumia also includes several new and interesting features to deliver a uniquely Nokia experience on Windows Phone, including:

■Smart & Easy Discovery - tap on a word that you want to learn more about and Nokia Xpress will discover related content with automatic contextual search for you. Swipe through screens of related content from Wikipedia, Bing and YouTube. It’s that simple.
■Translations - one click language translation is available for virtually any web page, making more content accessible to you. Just navigate to the page you’re interested in, tap on the ‘translate to’ option in the app menu and select from one of the 10 currently available languages. The Nokia Xpress internet platform will do all the work for you.

Sounds pretty powerful, especially for people like me with shitty data plans. Will try and report back.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ATT better not pull some BS "1-month-after-launch Windows Phone sale!"

They always have penny sales during the holidays. I got my Focus S for a penny. I had already paid full price when they announced the sale, but I was within the 30 day return window, so I returned it and bought it back for a penny. It was a hassle, but I saved a lot of money.

Milchjon

Hmm, after trying it for a few minutes:

+ Looks extremely feature rich
+ Translate Page works surprisingly well
+ Search For is also very fast and a nice addition
+ Tabs button!!!
+ Supposedly, I've been using 77% less data

- It's rather slow and a bit janky
- It doesn't automatically display mobile versions of websites

I'll try to use it as my main browser for a few days, even though it doesn't seem too convenient yet, because I really want it to get better.

And I also have yet to try the Magazine function.

thirty

Banned
thirty
DEFINITELY NOT
an Economics Major

:p

Looking at the lowest probable prices, I'd say:

Surface RT ~$300
Lumia 920 ~$600
JBL speakers ~$300

Apart from the Lumia's price, all those are pure guesswork, of course. But looking at some of JBL's docks, I don't see them go lower than $300 with that charging and landing lights and NFC and bluetooth tech that's not in their iPhone docks.

And IMO, you could easily end up paying around $1500 for that bundle.
the 900 sold for $450, there's a possibility the 920 could be $500. cheapest surface could be $300. jbl speaker maybe $300. total $1100, $1000 bundle pricing :)

Klocker

They always have penny sales during the holidays. I got my Focus S for a penny. I had already paid full price when they announced the sale, but I was within the 30 day return window, so I returned it and bought it back for a penny. It was a hassle, but I saved a lot of money.

hmmmm true... may have to hold out until late November. :)

JaggedSac

As s Spotify user on Android and without an Xbox, nothing would change for me. If I had a Windows Phone, I'd probably switch back, because the Spotify app on Windows Phone is pretty bad.

And you have like 30 years of free Xbox Music.

That Save to SkyDrive feature sounds pretty neat actually.

venne

Wife's on the third string smartphone and getting antsy for an upgrade. I keep telling her to wait for the Nokia, but her patience is wearing thin.

Both of the Focuses in our house have gone full retard and constantly make noises like you just inserted the charging cable. I fear it's up to a firesale HP Veer to keep her out of the house that Jobs built until the Nokia arrives.

You can do it little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom