• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't it be past the 30 day window at that point?

And brot, I dont think Sprint has delivered the 8107 update either. Not sure about mobile, but they probably haven't pushed it out either. lol US carriers lol

That's true, but even Verizon is preparing the 8107 update for the Trophy.

Verizon.

As for T-Mobile:
"The 8107 update for HD7 will be available in Zune sometime today, 3/19. Thanks for your patience."

Commodore

Don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but Carbon got an update to 1.3 today. Detailed here:

Highlights:

Timeline Filters/Mute for Users, Hashtags, and Services such as Foursquare, Getglue, etc…
Further Timeline scrolling & general performance enahancements
Landscape Mode for Tweet composition
Read Later Enhancements: tap+hold on URLs in Tweet screen to save for reading later
Mark all Messages as Read by tap+hold on “.messages” pivot.
Saving to Instapaper & Read It Later now adds tweet details to saved URLs
Detect Images from URLs ending with .jpg .png .gif
Enhanced error handling with error messages along with option to Report Errors back to us
Added retweets to Lists timeline
Support for Japanese & Korean typefaces

Some nice additions. Still bothering me that I can only load a 100 tweets at a time. And until they up that, it's still not quite there for me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's true, but even Verizon is preparing the 8107 update for the Trophy.

Verizon.

As for T-Mobile:
"The 8107 update for HD7 will be available in Zune sometime today, 3/19. Thanks for your patience."

Man, having Verizon beat you to an update when you're supposed to be the premier windows phone carrier has to be embarrassing. But at&t has no shame, so I'm assuming they are not capable of feeling embarrassment.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got back from Best Buy and got my Lumia 900 :) ...not without some work though.

The manager called Best Buys product exchange centre and they said that burn-in was not covered by the exchange plan so I argued with him for quite a while that imo it was defective, but he was still pretty adament that he couldn't and wouldn't. I also stated that a different location would have done the exchange but they did not have the phone yet. We debated some more and he finally capitulated on the grounds that the other store told me one thing and his store another. Pretty proud of myself, usually I'm not inclined to argue like that. So I didn't have to pay anything for my 900 and I'm still at the same point in my contract. So happy.

Early impressions of the phone is that it is fantastic. I feel that it is a very nice jump from the Focus. The thing that really surprised me stangely enough was in the Xbox Live Hub when your avatar slides into the screen. On my Focus he was pretty sluggish, but on my Lumia he zips on to the screen fast and smooth. Really happy with the design, I can live with the black and the screen is very good. Now I need reinstall everything. Also tethering was enabled, which I didn't have on my Focus. Thats all I can think of for now.

Commodore

i think apollo adds better support for expandable storage

That's the word on the street. Though, to being able to do this, and at the very least giving us an option to film in 4K, despite possible max storage limitations, would be pretty cool. Storage would have to be in the 100GB range to even think about shooting in 4K longer than 5 min clips of things. This probably bodes better for a more dedicated handheld camcorder device.

hwalker84

That's the word on the street. Though, to being able to do this, and at the very least giving us an option to film in 4K, despite possible max storage limitations, would be pretty cool. Storage would have to be in the 100GB range to even think about shooting in 4K longer than 5 min clips of things. This probably bodes better for a more dedicated handheld camcorder device.

You're looking at it in a storage perspective when it's more about the processing power for a video in that insane of a resolution.

Commodore

You're looking at it in a storage perspective when it's more about the processing power for a video in that insane of a resolution.

True enough. We're not confirmed on processors either for Apollo phones. Either way, don't think this will be happening on mass market/cell phone level, but damn, seriously cool realizing its possible with the PureView tech.

frontieruk

Now this would be interesting. Could PureView tech be used to capture 4K video?

Too bad phone storage is always so small.

interesting article, though I'm fairly sure the statement
the 808 uses all the data coming from the sensor, a staggering 41 million pixels per frame!
is wrong, I'm sure I read the maximum sensor usage is 38mp, I know it doesn't change that technically 4k could be done, it just bugs me its misquoted.

did Nokia ever release a non pureview image vs the pureview oversampled version?

PG2G

PureView is going to require some separate hardware. Snapdragon S4 only supports 20 MP for still camera and 1080p for video.

Though, I guess HTC is already using special hardware to handle the Titan II camera.

frontieruk

PureView is going to require some separate hardware. Snapdragon S4 only supports 20 MP for still camera and 1080p for video.

Though, I guess HTC is already using special hardware to handle the Titan II camera.

I believe even in the 808 it's a mix of cpu/gpu and a processor in the sensor.

frontieruk

"... and launched the fix three days ahead of schedule. "

Oh please, they knew very well about this problem before launch. They were probably testing the firmware update before AT&T got the phones.

AT&T were aware at launch so yeah Nokia had been working on this for a while, can OEM's bypass carriers for updates? perhaps it was expected testing would take longer?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
seems like mlb hasn't gotten the memo. Every time they advertise mlb at bat during the game they say windows mobile, not windows phone.

MCD

unacceptable.. WTF is MS marketing doing?

q1qvu.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Updates must be getting slammed. I plugged in my phone and it says it can't connect to find updates. Either that or it is not available in Canada yet.

My lumia 900 is updating now..

on ATT in the US..

edit -

On the first (manual) reboot after the update, my data wouldn't connect.

It works now on the second reboot.

Hoping they really do have it fixed and I won't lose it again.

I understand why they want to end the unlock but why relock the already unlock device? That is just annoying... I am going to miss the ability to save screen. (Speaking of that hopefully they add that to Apollo).

Commodore

Just some concept designs for Apollo.

Yi49v.jpg

A few gems like expanded tiles with direct control, as in you can refresh, play, pause direct from the tile. More here

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Horrifically bad coming from someone purely not thinking about Apollo as being the next evolution, and rather hearing the buzz word of this fall we are getting Windows Phone 8. Then having only seen the Win 8 stuff and never really using Windows Phone 7 creating a craptacular concept. Thankfully MS understands WTF is going on and is going to evolve the platform verses something totally shitty like this.

Commodore

besides the zune tile, it all looks like a mess.

Aesthetically? Probably. Though I do like how a tile can be interactive from the tile itself. Say the calender app can include buttons on the tile to create a new event, or a weather tile that you can refresh directly from the tile(or switch to a new location), or include a shortcut to a certain section or functionality of an app. Right now we can pin specific sections from an app to the home screen, but having interactive live tiles? I'd think that would be even better. Plus I hate taking up real estate with two tiles from one app on my home screen. But then again, these tiles take up more space than the small squares we have now. What I like about it is it eliminates much of the in and outness of navigating to certain functions. That's what is so well done about the Metro UI. In many ways you don't have to go into an app to do something or see something. Having interactive live tiles, is like having multiple open apps, easily accessible from the home screen itself. We do have a possibility of pivoting to new types of displaying content that haven't been used with the UI. I don't know, just seems like a faster more efficient way of doing things. Maybe it'd end up being far too cluttered/complicated for the simplicity we have now. /shrug

Latest update from Nokia seems to have fixed my Lumia 800. \o/

It had got to the point that even leaving it on standby overnight was taking the battery down to about 30%. Was just about ready to put a hammer through it.

This morning though it was up at about 95% after being on standby all night. :)

Milchjon

Latest update from Nokia seems to have fixed my Lumia 800. o/

It had got to the point that even leaving it on standby overnight was taking the battery down to about 30%. Was just about ready to put a hammer through it.

This morning though it was up at about 95% after being on standby all night. :)

Mine is still a bit weak. Just my luck :-(

ChanHuk

Banned
Cyan or white Lumia 900? Realized my cyan Lumia 900 is sealed in the box so I can exchange it for a white one on Sunday with no fees.

hwalker84

With the update my 900 is perfect. If only this camera was up to Nokia standards. Why is HTC the king in cameras on WP7? The 900's camera doesn't have anywhere near the options as the Titan or Titan 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom