• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshair

Real Verizon 822 pictures:

image_thumb5.png
image_thumb3.png
image_thumb4.png

http://wmpoweruser.com/verizon-nokia-lumia-822-real-life-pictures-leak/

D: Does not look pretty at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is there a technical or economic reason for not having 720p 4" or smaller phones? Not even Apple does it.

Unless you're paying $100 unsubsidized, don't buy wvga phones.

What's your minimum resolution/dpi? Other than Apple's funky res, what other options are there between wvga and 720p?

giga

Is there a technical or economic reason for not having 720p 4" or smaller phones? Not even Apple does it.

What's your minimum resolution/dpi? Other than Apple's funky res, what other options are there between wvga and 720p?
For phones, 300+ ppi is standard now and what everyone should be buying.

4" 720P is probably pushing it in terms of cost. 4.3" in the 8X is pretty good.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For phones, 300+ ppi is standard now and what everyone should be buying.

4" 720P is probably pushing it in terms of cost. 4.3" in the 8X is pretty good.

Have the 1080p phones come out yet? If not, isn't the 8X the highest ppi you can get on a phone (tied with some android devices)?

f0lken

So finally I can have a free month of Zune Pass but being that I live in Mexico I can't access to any music, its a good thing that I can buy a subscription so I can give MS free money!!

Its a shame that qHD is not supported

dLMN8R

I can't imagine a less interesting discussion and more useless technology advancement than phone resolutions and PPI even higher than what the iPhone and these Windows Phones have announced (outside of the 800x480 phones).

Seriously, what's the point? Excuse me for using Apple's marketing speak here, but PPI this high is definitely "retina" from my own experience to the point where it's completely impossible to distinguish pixels in the screen.

Higher-resolution screens would be more expensive, require much more powerful hardware, have much bigger batteries, with shorter battery life, and slower performance in games in apps. And it provides 0-to-negligible value.

Why??

So finally I can have a free month of Zune Pass but being that I live in Mexico I can't access to any music, its a good thing that I can buy a subscription so I can give MS free money!!

To be fair, it's not officially supported or announced yet. It was the same with Zune Pass in the UK, right before the Windows Phone 7 launch.

Yeah in terms of just phone design/aesthetics, it's pretty close between 920/8X, but gotta say, the 810 comes in hot on their heels. There's something about those clean edges that marries the OS really well.

I'm really impressed with the 810 <other than resolution>. If I were on TMobile and must have Nokia, I wouldn't be too depressed.

I can't imagine a less interesting discussion and more useless technology advancement than phone resolutions and PPI even higher than what the iPhone and these Windows Phones have announced (outside of the 800x480 phones).

Seriously, what's the point? Excuse me for using Apple's marketing speak here, but PPI this high is definitely "retina" from my own experience to the point where it's completely impossible to distinguish pixels in the screen.

Higher-resolution screens would be more expensive, require much more powerful hardware, have much bigger batteries, with shorter battery life, and slower performance in games in apps. And it provides 0-to-negligible value.

Why??

Why?

Because they can.

In an industry, where all products look the same and mostly have the same guts, carriers and manufacturers need to 1-up their competitors with checklist features. Like when LG launched the first dual-core smartphone in Q4 2010/Q1 2011, even though Android 2.2 or whatever wasn't really that good at multi-threading and the second core was basically useless. Now it's 1080p and quadcores and maybe even 4 GB RAM.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to bitch about it

Oh, that's okay. You joined the perfect thread for that.

dLMN8R

Why?

Because they can.

In an industry, where all products look the same and mostly have the same guts, carriers and manufacturers need to 1-up their competitors with checklist features. Like when LG launched the first dual-core smartphone in Q4 2010/Q1 2011, even though Android 2.2 or whatever wasn't really that good at multi-threading and the second core was basically useless. Now it's 1080p and quadcores and maybe even 4 GB RAM.

And shit like this is why I'm still happy to use my 2-year-old Samsung Focus with a single-core 1GHz CPU and know that the interface will always be perfectly smooth, responsive, and run every single app from the store without issue.

For all my problems with Windows Phone, thank god these specs are standardized so that innovation can happen with stuff that actually matters.

And shit like this is why I'm still happy to use my 2-year-old Samsung Focus with a single-core 1GHz CPU and know that the interface will always be perfectly smooth, responsive, and run every single app from the store without issue.

For all my problems with Windows Phone, thank god these specs are standardized so that innovation can happen with stuff that actually matters.

To be fair, before Jelly Bean, Android phones really needed all the raw power they could get to come close to that smoothness.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Why??

I think you're missing the point of this exchange. Nobody is saying the new 720p phones are inadequate. In fact, most are more "retina" than the iPhone. The question is about 4" phones, currently at wvga, meaning relatively low dpi, and why they are not getting higher resolution displays.

giga

Have the 1080p phones come out yet? If not, isn't the 8X the highest ppi you can get on a phone (tied with some android devices)?
There's a 5" 1080p display out there, but I would never own a 5" "phone."

Why??
Whoyatalkingto.gif

I think most everyone is satisfied with the current crop of 300+ ppi displays. It's the WVGA displays that have me befuddled.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, in terms of dpi, the current rankings are:

1080p 5" phone > 720p 4.3" or 4.5" phones (Lumia 920/HTC 8X) > iPhone 5 > 720p 4.8" phones (Galaxy SIII/Ativ S)

Commodore

Just got a an unexpected update to Blueprints (3rd party tumblr app) updated to 0.3, which is technically still considered a beta app, and I'd just about given up on it, really really good start, but it was still really early and had a ton of rough corners. It had been a couple months since it debuted, and nothing, kinda quit using it. Dude that runs that app just knocked it out of the park with a really impressive update. Just rock solid design, highly usable now, visibly appealing, could easily be considered something akin to an official app.

Recommended.

PG2G

Sometimes Zune Marketplace really pisses me off. How is a clean version of an album I want available for download with Zune Pass but the Explicit version is marked Album Only and isn't? Brand new too, ugh

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sometimes Zune Marketplace really pisses me off. How is a clean version of an album I want available for download with Zune Pass but the Explicit version is marked Album Only and isn't? Brand new too, ugh

I usually have the opposite problem . I always get the clean version and it isn't always available.

thirty

Banned
i always have both available and when i download from my phone it never mentions which version i'm downloading until i finish.

Commodore

That crap is usually the labels being the labels. Will be interesting to see how this XBOX Music "30 million" tracks alleviates stuff like this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom