• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
weird bug, I noticed the time on my phone is about 4-5 minutes slow.

Is there any way to sync it? I tried looking in the options and I have it set to automatic. It's connected to wi-fi and 3G so it's not like it can't get a connection. Also rebooted it a couple of times but it's always wrong.

Milchjon

weird bug, I noticed the time on my phone is about 4-5 minutes slow.

Is there any way to sync it? I tried looking in the options and I have it set to automatic. It's connected to wi-fi and 3G so it's not like it can't get a connection. Also rebooted it a couple of times but it's always wrong.

Your clock is off? Had that too, in the end it was 6 minutes. I just changed it manually.

Owen

The Verge knows a lot of their readers are Windows Phone fans (much in part due to their positive comments on Windows Phone right up until the Lumia 900 launch). They're trolling for hits.

yeah, the clock is wrong. It's about 4 minutes slower than the time on my tv and about 4-5 slower than my laptop which is synced to time.windows.com

My Lumia 900 is right in-line with the time on my mac, which gets its time from apple's time server.. and right in line with my ipad..

your phone should be getting its time from your carrier's cell tower.. maybe there is something wrong on their end.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With the update my 900 is perfect. If only this camera was up to Nokia standards. Why is HTC the king in cameras on WP7? The 900's camera doesn't have anywhere near the options as the Titan or Titan 2

Looking forward to getting my update. Loving the phone so far!

frontieruk

With the update my 900 is perfect. If only this camera was up to Nokia standards. Why is HTC the king in cameras on WP7? The 900's camera doesn't have anywhere near the options as the Titan or Titan 2

They weren't with the 1st gen phones, those cameras were shocking. I think the reason they are better though is HTC seem to be building better quality handsets now, it's not the old tat they used to produce for carriers and as such it reflects on their brand if something is seen as deficient. And by doing that they'll keep customers as the handsets are quality so customers are likely to upgrade to another HTC device.

Though I didn't think Microsoft currently allowed much leeway with what the camera app could do?

Looking forward to getting my update. Loving the phone so far!

Sometimes being on the underdog device is a good thing as it does try to be radically different. Usually they also try to keep on par with features, but I can see the wait for x release going on as long as the ps3 meme

catmincer

They weren't with the 1st gen phones, those cameras were shocking. I think the reason they are better though is HTC seem to be building better quality handsets now, it's not the old tat they used to produce for carriers and as such it reflects on their brand if something is seen as deficient. And by doing that they'll keep customers as the handsets are quality so customers are likely to upgrade to another HTC device.

Though I didn't think Microsoft currently allowed much leeway with what the camera app could do?

My partner's HTC Trophy has a pretty good camera. Much better than my LG Optimus 7 which is easily one of the worst cameras I have seen. :S

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When I was at a Rogers store yesterday checking if they had screen protector there was an elderly couple looking to buy 2 Windows Phones. There were looking at the Focus and the Lumia 710. The Rogers rep didn't have any phones charged too show them so I piped in and showed them my 900. I gave them a demo of the live tiles and the Facebook integration and they seemed to like it. They also likes that the Lumia came with Nokia Drive. The older man said i should be working there, lol.

On a side note, do you guys use screen protectors?

ChanHuk

Banned
When I was at a Rogers store yesterday checking if they had screen protector there was an elderly couple looking to buy 2 Windows Phones. There were looking at the Focus and the Lumia 710. The Rogers rep didn't have any phones charged too show them so I piped in and showed them my 900. I gave them a demo of the live tiles and the Facebook integration and they seemed to like it. They also likes that the Lumia came with Nokia Drive. The older man said i should be working there, lol.

I like my phones like I like my women, naked.

catmincer

Nope, they never go on nicely for me and the bubbles drive me nuts. Plus with most phones being pretty scratch resistant they're pointless.

hwalker84

I know the the older HTC phones had terrible cameras but they are bringing it on the new handset Wp7 and Android. Microsoft definitely allow customization of the camera app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung seems to be going in the opposite direction. They went from having the best cameras to having HTC kick their butts. Its puzzling, I prefer the original's Focus camera to the S. Embarrassing.

Raistlin

So I picked up my 900 today. The store I tested one out at a few days back was all out, but they directed me to one in my area that had a couple remaining.

Unfortunately the person I spoke to on Thursday was wrong, and my old ass PDA plan wouldn't carry over when upgrading to a 4G phone (my plan was unlimited data, and 1500 texts for $40). Luckily they were able to split it so I can at least still be grandfathered into unlimited data for $30. What sucks is their only messaging offering is $20 for unlimited. I'm going to have to look up my records and see how many I use. Might be cheaper to just do $.10/text. That or maybe I'll suck it up and use a data service for messaging :\

At least she was nice and gave me a $15 credit. Also, she was like 'holy shit, who do you work for' since I get like 25% off. The funny thing is, I no longer work for the company that gave me the epic discount ... but it looks like I'll still be receiving it :D

Anyway, I'll be setting it up tonight/tomorrow. Pretty excited. Thing looks awesome.

You're looking at it in a storage perspective when it's more about the processing power for a video in that insane of a resolution.
Moreover, the h.265 spec isn't even complete. I can't imagine anyone releasing a 4k camera on a phone without it. Hell, I wouldn't even expect many point & shoots to hit until that's ready. Even with expandable memory, file sizes would just be too big to be particularly useful.

Izick

Okay, so I'm one of those wackos that still doesn't have a smartphone. I've been really considering getting one lately, but I'm really torn on what kind, and what OS. I've been looking into the Lumia 900, and it looks pretty awesome.

My question: I used to be a Windows 7 user until my HDD died out, and then I migrated to Linux (Ubunutu); is there any reason for me to still choose WP7 over Android or the iPhone, when I won't have connectivity with my laptop?

ChanHuk

Banned
Okay, so I'm one of those wackos that still doesn't have a smartphone. I've been really considering getting one lately, but I'm really torn on what kind, and what OS. I've been looking into the Lumia 900, and it looks pretty awesome.

My question: I used to be a Windows 7 user until my HDD died out, and then I migrated to Linux (Ubunutu); is there any reason for me to still choose WP7 over Android or the iPhone, when I won't have connectivity with my laptop?

If you want to customize your phone like Linux, get an Android device. If you want a phone that functions beautifully out of the box, iPhone or Lumia 900.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

windows phone requires the zune software (or the mac connector on mac) to sync fyi. That requirement will be gone in the fall though, next update won't require it to use a pc to sync.

Izick

If you want to customize your phone like Linux, get an Android device. If you want a phone that functions beautifully out of the box, iPhone or Lumia 900.

It's weird, because I'm not sure exactly what I want. I have a little brick phone that has allowed me to call people and text, and that's it. I'm not sure if I want something that I want to customize, or something that just works.

(Also, to be honest, I didn't really customize Ubuntu all that much, besides adding apps and whatnot, as it works pretty smoothly out of a fresh install.)

Razdek

Banned
Sometimes being on the underdog device is a good thing as it does try to be radically different. Usually they also try to keep on par with features, but I can see the wait for x release going on as long as the ps3 meme

Apollo will let us know how close they'll get to closing the gap but if they don't get close enough then we'll have to do the wait till x game again. I still propose we setup a chalkboard if it happens.

ChanHuk

Banned
It's weird, because I'm not sure exactly what I want. I have a little brick phone that has allowed me to call people and text, and that's it. I'm not sure if I want something that I want to customize, or something that just works.

(Also, to be honest, I didn't really customize Ubuntu all that much, besides adding apps and whatnot, as it works pretty smoothly out of a fresh install.)

WP or iPhone is what I'd recommend. Then again I'm pretty anti-Android because it confuses even me sometimes. iOS is simple, WP has an interesting UI that's text/tile based. If you're big on social networks, WP is great.

PG2G

Like Windu said, Microsoft doesn't currently have any desktop client software for Linux. That means you wouldn't be able to transfer images, music, movies, do software updated, and so on. Windows Phone is not currently a viable option for Linux users.

thirty

Banned
saw the 900 at the store today. awesome device but I couldn't pull the trigger cuz it was missing the curved seamless glass of the 800.

catmincer

You could always run Windows XP in a virtual machine and run Zune under that. If configured properly that would work. A lot of effort though.

Get an Android phone for the ultimate open-source software combination, you'll feel very good about yourself.

Seriously though, since you're considering a Lumia 900 I assume you're on AT&T? Have you heard of the HTC One X? It seems to be a great phone that you should definitely consider, although it isn't yet (should release next month).

You can install free copy of Windows 8 and hopefully by fall when Windows phone 8 come out it won't require Zune. (That also if we can upgrade to Windows Phone 8)

hwalker84

Fuck this phone is losing data again even after the update. I keep having to switch to airplane mode and back to get data for a few minutes. Hopefully its the network cause if it's not I'm taking it back soon. it just started in this bar in at so hopefully its something in Pittsburgh and not the phone but I doubt it since it comes back after toggling airplane mode.

Edit: It could be just poor signal. Hopefully I was just jumping the gun.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this phone is losing data again even after the update. I keep having to switch to airplane mode and back to get data for a few minutes. Hopefully its the network cause if it's not I'm taking it back soon. it just started in this bar in at so hopefully its something in Pittsburgh and not the phone but I doubt it since it comes back after toggling airplane mode.

Edit: It could be just poor signal. Hopefully I was just jumping the gun.

I actually haven't lost data yet (still no update). I haven't been getting 4G though, which I think I should be.

Commodore

Funny little anecdote: I was off to go DJing, had a buddy in the car with me when I got a text from my wife. My phone was plugged into the AUX in to my stereo and so the robot TellMe voice pipes up and reads my wife's text. I reply and it goes back and forth for a bit, and my friend thought it was pretty cool. So he sends a text to see if it could handle reading back a longer text, and I reply back to him, saying, "supercallafragilisticespialladocious". Tellme read it back to us, and translated it as "Fragile lipstick ass how goes it". It wouldn't send twice and repeated it twice because we were laughing so hard. :p

Funny little anecdote: I was off to go DJing, had a buddy in the car with me when I got a text from my wife. My phone was plugged into the AUX in to my stereo and so the robot TellMe voice pipes up and reads my wife's text. I reply and it goes back and forth for a bit, and my friend thought it was pretty cool. So he sends a text to see if it could handle reading back a longer text, and I reply back to him, saying, "supercallafragilisticespialladocious". Tellme read it back to us, and translated it as "Fragile lipstick ass how goes it". It wouldn't send twice and repeated it twice because we were laughing so hard. :p

Tell me send some embaressing message to my wife a few times ... good thing we are married.

Commodore

Tell me send some embaressing message to my wife a few times ... good thing we are married.

My wife once sent a text while I was in the car telling me she was going to catch a bite to eat with a friend. I responded by saying a little too quick after the little sound prompt, "bring me some, exclamation point" I wasn't sure if you could include grammar by saying it, but the text came out as "Points" instead because I jumped the gun and sent it. Now it's an inside joke whenever she asks me something mundane. Points!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

one thing i can say about all these new voice controls are that they make a great laugh at times.

my mom just got an iphone 4s and i was showing her siri, you know the normal stuff like "call complex_shadow", "call home", etc. and then my dad decided to try "call husband" and siri by default says "i don't know who your husband is..infact i don't know who you are" and seeing my dads face, just stunned and shocked for some reason made me laugh. and my parents have an accent so most of what they said turned into random stuff.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was hoping for price drop on the 800 ... I would buy it for 300 off contract.

Me too, I was checking them on eBay last night but they are still priced too high. May as well get a 900 at those prices.

And complex_shadow, you should be ashamed your mom got a 4s. We should revoke your thread membership.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Me too, I was checking them on eBay last night but they are still priced too high. May as well get a 900 at those prices.

And complex_shadow, you should be ashamed your mom got a 4s. We should revoke your thread membership.

=<

actually she needed an iOS device for work. shes a teacher and her school kinda adopted a bunch of ipads and now she has to learn to use an iOS platform then work it into her curriculum. both me and my mom think its beyond stupid. its a bunch of kindergarten and grade 1 students.

Raistlin

=<

actually she needed an iOS device for work. shes a teacher and her school kinda adopted a bunch of ipads and now she has to learn to use an iOS platform then work it into her curriculum. both me and my mom think its beyond stupid. its a bunch of kindergarten and grade 1 students.
While it seems weird, I guess it's cool they're being proactive with tech.

I really wish my school system would have had us using computers when we were young ... though granted that would have meant Commodore 64's or Apple IIe's :D. Seriously though, even when PC's were popular, it was years before the schools started using them.

I suspect I'd be a much better programmer had I started earlier.

hwalker84

Ok I have a theory.

Here in Pittsburgh (I would assume due to the mountains) cell phone reception can be spotty. It seems that when the 900 has 1 bar of 4g but the signal being so bad your not getting data, the phone will not switch to a much stronger EDGE connection. The phone will just sit there with no data. Today I sat for 10 mins in a resturant as my phone went from 0-1 bars of 4g without data until it finally switched to 4-5 bars of EDGE. To me it seems like the logic needs to be adjusted which decides when to switch to EDGE or 4g.

Ok I have a theory.

Here in Pittsburgh (I would assume due to the mountains) cell phone reception can be spotty. It seems that when the 900 has 1 bar of 4g but the signal being so bad your not getting data, the phone will not switch to a much stronger EDGE connection. The phone will just sit there with no data. Today I sat for 10 mins in a resturant as my phone went from 0-1 bars of 4g without data until it finally switched to 4-5 bars of EDGE. To me it seems like the logic needs to be adjusted which decides when to switch to EDGE or 4g.

Pittsburgh's LTE rollout is pretty bad. Add at&t, and there you go. It'll get better with time, but it's still a shame you have to go through that hassle.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ok I have a theory.

Can't you manually turn off 4G and keep data on.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My Next Phone Wish List:

1) 4" - 4.3" : Sweet Spot between being to bulky for my sized hands and being a tad small when wanting to really use the phone for more than a quick glance!

2) 1280 x 720 Screen: It would help with text reading and just give you that extra pop when looking at higher res photos/videos.

3) A camera that takes solid pics in all situations: Just want a pic that takes decent pics no matter where I am or what the lighting situation is as well as decent camera options. I'm not that uptight about needing a high megapixel count. I care more about a quality sensor that takes good pics when I need them.

4) LTE : I live in an LTE market so at this point getting a non LTE phone is for the birds even if you aren't using your data all the time. Plus I feel like LTE phones are moving out of their growing pain stages in terms of killing phone performance/battery life.

5) 16 Gigs of Storage +: I'm over getting a stock 8 gig phone and having the option to upgrade the storage. 16 gigs or bust with the option for 32 gigs being WINRAR!

Raistlin

Commodore 64 was mentioned. Brofist!

Actually still have mine :p

brofistcover.jpg

Raistlin

My Next Phone Wish List:

1) 4" - 4.3" : Sweet Spot between being to bulky for my sized hands and being a tad small when wanting to really use the phone for more than a quick glance!

2) 1280 x 720 Screen: It would help with text reading and just give you that extra pop when looking at higher res photos/videos.

3) A camera that takes solid pics in all situations: Just want a pic that takes decent pics no matter where I am or what the lighting situation is as well as decent camera options. I'm not that uptight about needing a high megapixel count. I care more about a quality sensor that takes good pics when I need them.

4) LTE : I live in an LTE market so at this point getting a non LTE phone is for the birds even if you aren't using your data all the time. Plus I feel like LTE phones are moving out of their growing pain stages in terms of killing phone performance/battery life.

5) 16 Gigs of Storage +: I'm over getting a stock 8 gig phone and having the option to upgrade the storage. 16 gigs or bust with the option for 32 gigs being WINRAR!
2) Will happen with Apollo

3) I'm looking forward to Nokia PureView phones

5) Apollo is bringing expandable storage to the mix. So basically the days of storage problems will be over.

1) and 4) are already here, so I wouldn't expect it to change. Actually by the time Apollo hits with its new SoC's, I'd expect the LTE antennas will be fully integrated and not be a major drain on battery life. Actually I'm not sure but that may already be the case for the Lumia 900 - I'd have to look it up (LTE isn't hitting my area until around June, so I can't personally test it right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom