• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

We live in a cruel cruel world.

Random question, anyone know if we're still able to do wireless syncing via XBOX Music?

I dont think Xbox Music handles anything dwvice related. There will be a Metro WP8 companion app that might handle that. We haven't seen much other than some linked screens though.

PG2G

Wait so Nokia is an exclusive yet receives less subsidy than HTC? /cynical

How is it less subsidy? The Lumia 920 is worth at least $100 (and probably closer to $150) more than the 8X but there is only a $50 difference in price.

Edit: My bad, i should keep off NeoGAF while on the treadmill

PG2G

Both are $600 unsubsidized.

Haha, you're right. Don't know how I missed that. I'd still argue that there is some degree of subsidy built into the off-contract price though. These devices are pretty much locked to the carrier after all.

Ugh, and WTF at that being the 8 gig version of the 8X, not the 16. Something definitely weird here.

thirty

Banned
they're adding about a $100 mark up for all phones for being unlocked. hmmm, which makes the 8S pricing even more attractive considering it could be priced even less for the carrier locked version. seriously thinking about the 8S as a "temp" phone until t-mobile refarms some 1900mhz towers in my area.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man, I need a plan B in a hurry. $600 for a phone is hard to justify, $500 was my cap. I think my upgrade is next May or so. ugh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You'll make it up when you sell your old phone. Wait for AT&T it's possible it'll be cheaper. I told you to expect $650 :)

Yeah, I have a $200 offer for my phone, plus $300 cash that I saved. Can I just sell some crap or save another $100? Sure? Should I? I don't know, I have to really think about that.

I may just flip my phone for a 900 or a Galaxy Nexus, then use the cash I saved for a laptop or something.

hwalker84

Yeah, I have a $200 offer for my phone, plus $300 cash that I saved. Can I just sell some crap or save another $100? Sure? Should I? I don't know, I have to really think about that.

I may just flip my phone for a 900 or a Galaxy Nexus, then use the cash I saved for a laptop or something.
No way I'd get rid of my 900 for a Nexus

TylerD

I got through the entire checkout process for a cyan 920 at Best Buy except for the very last step where it said I wasn't eligible for an upgrade even though it said I was very early in the process. It kicked me back saying that I could only replace my phone for the 600.

Took about 2 mins to scroll through the bullshit tiny window they had for the agreement on my iPad and had my payment and address info entered too. Will wait for AT&T now.

Magni

Is that $599 price still carrier branded/locked?

Also, would a US phone work on 3G or better in Europe and Asia (SK/Japan)

Troll

Banned
I'm happy to see cyan someplace other than att.com; I was under the impression that it was an online exclusive.

It is, as in you have to purchase those two colors online. They aren't putting a restriction on which websites from the looks of it.

Anyone else with an LG Windows Phone? Just fired up the Marketplace there now and noticed the LG section has disappeared :S

It's not like anything of value was lost. Some of the free apps in the first 2 months were nice, but that's all they ever had. The rest was just crap.

kharma45

It's not like anything of value was lost. Some of the free apps in the first 2 months were nice, but that's all they ever had. The rest was just crap.

Yeah there wasn't really anything in it that I used bar occasionally the panorama app for the camera. Wonder if this signals their complete pull-out from Windows Phone if they've removed their own section of the marketplace.

There are online stores which sell imported International phones. You can probably look on Amazon for a third-party seller too. If the 920 really is penta-band it won't be a problem on AT&T. You don't get LTE that way though, not that AT&T actually has an LTE network most people can use. /snicker

Yikes, $600 is too rich for my blood. :(

Those are pretty typical unsubsidized phone prices. I just wonder how much Verizon is going to try and rape me for an unsubsidized Galaxy Note II when it finally launches.

hwalker84

There are online stores which sell imported International phones. You can probably look on Amazon for a third-party seller too. If the 920 really is penta-band it won't be a problem on AT&T. You don't get LTE that way though, not that AT&T actually has an LTE network most people can use. /snicker

Those are pretty typical unsubsidized phone prices. I just wonder how much Verizon is going to try and rape me for an unsubsidized Galaxy Note II when it finally launches.
They brought LTE to pretty much every city I travel to so I'm satisfied.

kn1ves24

When is ATT expected to announce pre-order dates and stuff? I'm going with a 920 on contract cause ATT has the best coverage where i live at the moment and I have no problem staying with them for 2 more years.

PG2G

Nobody really knows. The Windows Phone event is 10/29 so I imagine we will know sometime between now and then. Wouldn't be surprised if they announced it that day with a release the 4th (since AT&T always releases Sunday)

PG2G

Hulu Plus hit Windows 8 already, hope that means it'll make its way to WP8 soon as well. Windows 8 seems to be doing pretty decent at picking up the major apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom