• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
She was pretty vocal against Windows 8 so I am pretty sure she is also blacklisted. I don't understand the reason to silence the critics like Thurrot at least he makes some good points. I rather listen to him than hearing the Verge whine about how lame all Microsoft products are or Lumia would be better running android.

Yeah, I hate it when they port beg.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
She was pretty vocal against Windows 8 so I am pretty sure she is also blacklisted. I don't understand the reason to silence the critics like Thurrot at least he makes some good points. I rather listen to him than hearing the Verge whine about how lame all Microsoft products are or Lumia would be better running android.

Which reminds me, if you look at the Surface review, it'll mirror almost exactly the 920 review if Topolsky does it. Good design, blah blah, good hardware, blah blah, no apps. 7.9

Talon

Which reminds me, if you look at the Surface review, it'll mirror almost exactly the 920 review if Topolsky does it. Good design, blah blah, good hardware, blah blah, no apps. 7.9
Eh, that's not true. He, like everyone from Wired to Ars, talks about how awkward it is to use as a tablet that you hold due to 16:9 and 1.5 lbs.

Valid criticism shouldn't be thrown out as a matter of course.

Razdek

Banned
After reading all the Surface reviews and the negative comments about performance on Windows RT I hope this doesn't affect WP8 in anyway. It sucks having to wait till it's announced on the 29th and then a few days later for the review of the devices to see if there's any performance hits.

frontieruk

After reading all the Surface reviews and the negative comments about performance on Windows RT I hope this doesn't affect WP8 in anyway. It sucks having to wait till it's announced on the 29th and then a few days later for the review of the devices to see if there's any performance hits.

Negative comments about performance? which review? I've only seen complaints about weight and apps

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Eh, that's not true. He, like everyone from Wired to Ars, talks about how awkward it is to use as a tablet that you hold due to 16:9 and 1.5 lbs.

Some of that is valid, sure. Even while using the Win 8 preview, I noticed the same third party app sluggishness often present in windows phone.

I'll have to see if I have any issues holding the device. Isn't it the same weight as an iPad? Same thickness? I know it's longer, but some of the issues may be subjective. For example, the thin edges of the iPad make
it impossible for me to hold it comfortably for any extended amount of time and I don't think I've ever read a single reviewer mention that. I feel like I'm crazy.

Plus the Engadget review seemed generally more fair, I don't think Topolsky is going to give windows a fair shot but we will see. He was also critical of ios6 in his iPhone 5 review but it didn't seem to hurt the score that much.

Edit: just got an update to the Amazon mobile app. The changes? "now compatible with Windows Phone 8". IT BEGINS.

JaggedSac

Going off WP8 topic here, but:

It is valid criticism for certain use cases, but I think attachable keyboards and snap states wouldn't work as well at a fatter res. Which is kinda the whole point of the Surface.

And, granted I haven't held one, but how can 0.1 lbs (I think, too lazy to look, but I seem to recall reading that) be more awkward? Anand thinks it is quite comfortable as well:

Anand said:
The focus on weight distribution results in a device that is honestly comfortable to hold in tablet mode and very comfortable to carry around.

PG2G

Looks like Verizon will be getting their devices 11/12. Lumia 822 for $99 and HTC 8X for $199

http://www.wpcentral.com/verizon-htc-8x-and-lumia-822-coming-november-12th

Verizon%20Roadmap%20copy.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
On the Rogers blog, people have been hitting them pretty hard for colour options. They respond by asking people colour preference and that they are forwarding the comments to the internal team. Hopefully they can respond quickly enough. If they can get Cyan (or other colours) by December thats fine, but 3 to 6 months later is no good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That is crazy. How...how did they not implement this.

Waiting for the WP8 version I guess. Zombies!! is the deal of the weak as well. There is supposed to be a new version coming out of a bunch of platforms so I don't want to buy this one if it is not going to be updated. That is another game that begs for asynchronous play.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its nice to have for some specific cases, but I hated managing my Android phone like that. Syncing software like Zune or iTunes is far superior in my experience than micro managing by manually moving files.

Its nice to have for some specific cases, but I hated managing my Android phone like that. Syncing software like Zune or iTunes is far superior in my experience than micro managing by manually moving files.

I agree, but a pain point from some WP critics/gaffers was having to use Zune for managing. Nice to have the option, especially with Zune kicking the bucket :(

On the Rogers blog, people have been hitting them pretty hard for colour options. They respond by asking people colour preference and that they are forwarding the comments to the internal team. Hopefully they can respond quickly enough. If they can get Cyan (or other colours) by December thats fine, but 3 to 6 months later is no good.

Absolutely mind boggling that Rogers will only carry this device in black - I mean, who the fuck made THAT decision!? Jesus.. Are they that out of touch that they simply do not get it?

Talon

A red Nokia 920 made a cameo in Nashville this week. Random.

Also, it apparently takes the clearest long distance video ever.

so I just got back from a T-Mobile store to up my data plan. I got the unlimited 4g (no throttle, no cap) so I can tether my hd7 to a surface I will be getting...and in the near future a wp8 device. shitty thing is that the sales guys told me that when I switch to a WP8 device I would have to pay for the tethering cause of some imei number thing ...I don't have to on my HD7, why would I have to on WP8. so my dilemma is now do I upgrade to a new phone where I potentially have to pay for tethering or do I just stick with the HD7 as long as I can. ...if I did my research right if I want to tether it $5 (5gb then its throttled) more...which I guess isn't much but that means I would have upped my bill by $15....

From AT&T's Q3 results:

Strong Wireless Performance; Smartphones 81 percent of Postpaid Sales

• Wireless revenues up 6.6 percent; wireless service revenues up 4.5 percent
  • Strongest postpaid wireless subscriber ARPU (average monthly revenues per subscriber) growth in six quarters, up 2.4 percent to $65.20; phone-only ARPU up almost 3 percent
  • Strong smartphone sales of 6.1 million; postpaid smartphone customer base now 44.5 million, up 1.4 million from second quarter 2012
  • 4.7 million iPhones activated; record sales quarter for Android and Windows smartphones
  • Best-ever third-quarter postpaid churn
  • 678,000 net increase in total wireless subscribers, including gains in every customer category
  • Wireless operating income margin of 26.2 percent; EBITDA service margin of 40.8 percent with strong smartphone sales
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?p...wsarticleid=35518&mapcode=corporate|financial
Whatever that means.

On the Xbox.com smartglass page it says devices 7.5 and above only (iOS android 2013) Looks like it will be WP8/W8 for a while then. Ach well may force me to upgrade my phone sooner then.

ElNino

On the Xbox.com smartglass page it says devices 7.5 and above only (iOS android 2013) Looks like it will be WP8/W8 for a while then. Ach well may force me to upgrade my phone sooner then.
Well, 7.5 and above would essentially include all WP devices but we assume that the 7.5/7.8 app will not be released at the same time as the WP8 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom